To critique or not... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 21 Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that is the question!

So I recently started blogging just over a month ago and then I found this part of the mothering forum...noticed you guys critique blogs and have *thought* about having mine officially critiqued...

BUT

quite frankly, I'm a tad scared!

How mean are you mama's? LOL!

I'm far from perfect when it comes to grammar and whatnot...although I do at least make an effort to correct myself...should I be nervous? Should I do the critique? Can I handle it?

Anyway...that's all! Just me being goofy and killing time!

TIA!
beansmama is offline  
#2 of 21 Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 PM
 
Code Name Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think you should be worried, I just stopped by (and commented) - I think your blog is great

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
Code Name Mama is offline  
#3 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
 
momof3boys3702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
first off, you have a GREAT way of writing and your site is adorable. With that said, I would not add you to my reader and that is sad. :-(

Why? Your beliefs (or lack there of) do not affect my decision, your web title does. Is that stupid and narrow-minded on my part? I would have to say 100% yes, but I realize that. ROTFL!

Just out of curiosity, since you say that you won't be spending your time talking about being an athiest, then why put it in your title? To me, a title says what a blog is about. Otherwise, discuss it.. talk about your feelings, why they are your feelings, how it came about, how you are teaching your kids to have your beliefs in a country that was founded on God...

Before you get mad, I am Catholic so I am a totally different breed of Christian... Just ask "THEM" - some don't even consider me Christian because they don't know my beliefs. But, that is a story for another day. LOL!

I guess I am just strange in that hearing the word "Athiest" turns me off, but not any more than if I came across a site that was "The SUPER GOD FEARING MOM." As with all Christians, I do not want to have to examine my beliefs too closely or try to explain my beliefs even though Science never proves anything to support them. I guess I just typically steer clear of "religions and politics"

Wow, I have no idea why I wrote all this. ROTFL! I was just thinking, if you want to attract more readers and admit that pretty much all of you have come across are Christian then why put in your title that you are not? Mention it in passing in your writings, but give people time to get to know you and don't make them embarrassed to have you in their blogroll. Ya' know?

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Kelli

P.S. Are we mean? Of course, most Christians are <grin>

Blogging, homeschooling, mom of 3 boys!
momof3boys3702 is offline  
#4 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys3702 View Post
first off, you have a GREAT way of writing and your site is adorable. With that said, I would not add you to my reader and that is sad. :-(

Why? Your beliefs (or lack there of) do not affect my decision, your web title does. Is that stupid and narrow-minded on my part? I would have to say 100% yes, but I realize that. ROTFL!

Just out of curiosity, since you say that you won't be spending your time talking about being an athiest, then why put it in your title? To me, a title says what a blog is about. Otherwise, discuss it.. talk about your feelings, why they are your feelings, how it came about, how you are teaching your kids to have your beliefs in a country that was founded on God...

Before you get mad, I am Catholic so I am a totally different breed of Christian... Just ask "THEM" - some don't even consider me Christian because they don't know my beliefs. But, that is a story for another day. LOL!

I guess I am just strange in that hearing the word "Athiest" turns me off, but not any more than if I came across a site that was "The SUPER GOD FEARING MOM." As with all Christians, I do not want to have to examine my beliefs too closely or try to explain my beliefs even though Science never proves anything to support them. I guess I just typically steer clear of "religions and politics"

Wow, I have no idea why I wrote all this. ROTFL! I was just thinking, if you want to attract more readers and admit that pretty much all of you have come across are Christian then why put in your title that you are not? Mention it in passing in your writings, but give people time to get to know you and don't make them embarrassed to have you in their blogroll. Ya' know?

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Kelli

P.S. Are we mean? Of course, most Christians are <grin>
First of all...thanks to both of you

momof3boys3702
I appreciate your input, and I'm not mad at all, lol! No worries

The thing is, atheism isn't a religion...it's a lack of religion or beliefs. So by having the name "atheist" in my title I'm not telling people "This is what I'll be discussing"...I'm simply saying, "This is what I wont be discussing".

It's part of who I am, but unlike Christians - who constantly (at least in most blogs) discuss their Christianity in hopes, I can only assume, to let their light shine for the world so people will come to Jesus - I'm not trying to "convert" anyone to atheism.

I just noticed one day during my blog searching that most mom-bloggers are Christian or religious in some sense of the word and I thought that maybe SOMEONE might appreciate a non-religious blog, because I know I sure would've!

Although I'm aware (and have been from the beginning) that removing the word "Atheist" from my blog would probably get me more readers...it just wasn't a compromise that I was or am willing to make.

I realize that there are a lot of Christians (I'm using the term "Christian" here because it's obviously a super popular, generalized faith - but really, any religion) who know that atheists are just regular people, as normal as the next guy (or gal!), but there are also a lot of people who don't.

We're not crazy Satan worshipers that are out to get your children. We're not foul-mouthed sex-crazed maniacs.

(Well, some might be the latter...lol...but I'm not!)

Anyway. That's my reasoning. I just want people to enjoy my blog while knowing "This chick is an atheist...and hey, she's pretty nice, normal, cool (maybe? hah!) what have you"
beansmama is offline  
#5 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
 
momof3boys3702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of religion, basically. I know that you aren't Satan worshipers, because if you don't believe in God (or any gods) then how could you believe in his opposite, The Devil?

But, as you just said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
It's part of who I am, but unlike Christians - who constantly (at least in most blogs) discuss their Christianity in hopes, I can only assume, to let their light shine for the world so people will come to Jesus - I'm not trying to "convert" anyone to atheism.
We, too, generalize just as you have done with Christians. As I am sure a blog named the SUPER CHRISTIAN Mom would turn you off, but SUPER MOM, would not. Same goes for the Christians that are just normal people, not door-to-door converters. :-)

I am a Christian, but I almost never mention it on my blog. I have NEVER in my life tried to "convert" someone to my belief. Why? Because I wouldn't want someone to try to convert me. And, to be honest, I can't stand for people to knock on my door and start praying "at" me. Yikes, it irritates me. LOL!

Any-hoo, this is why I don't discuss this kind of stuff. ROTFL! I could call you on the phone and talk to you for hours. LOL! As a glow-in-the-dark white girl in Southern Alabama, I get a huge kick out of discussing racism and reverse-racism with my black friends. Just as I would get a kick out of discussing this with you. As a homeschooling mom, I consider myself a "learner" not an "educator" and hearing and discussing other's thoughts and beliefs is FUN to me.

So, bottom line, I really like your blog! I don't care what you believe! But, I don't like your title. Why? Because I don't want my Christian homeschooling mom readers to see The Athiest Mom in my blog roll and bombard me or leave me. So, I guess you can add selfish to my list of sins. Shoot, guess I need to go to confession.

Kelli

Blogging, homeschooling, mom of 3 boys!
momof3boys3702 is offline  
#6 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
 
momof3boys3702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh and
Quote:
We're not crazy Satan worshipers that are out to get your children. We're not foul-mouthed sex-crazed maniacs.
ha ha ha, you would be amazed (or not) at the number of "Christians" that are. :-) Did you know that a recent study showed 84% of people in prison are Christian and less than 1% are Athiest? Interesting, huh?

Blogging, homeschooling, mom of 3 boys!
momof3boys3702 is offline  
#7 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys3702 View Post
I know Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of religion, basically. I know that you aren't Satan worshipers, because if you don't believe in God (or any gods) then how could you believe in his opposite, The Devil?

But, as you just said, We, too, generalize just as you have done with Christians. As I am sure a blog named the SUPER CHRISTIAN Mom would turn you off, but SUPER MOM, would not. Same goes for the Christians that are just normal people, not door-to-door converters. :-)

I am a Christian, but I almost never mention it on my blog. I have NEVER in my life tried to "convert" someone to my belief. Why? Because I wouldn't want someone to try to convert me. And, to be honest, I can't stand for people to knock on my door and start praying "at" me. Yikes, it irritates me. LOL!

Any-hoo, this is why I don't discuss this kind of stuff. ROTFL! I could call you on the phone and talk to you for hours. LOL! As a glow-in-the-dark white girl in Southern Alabama, I get a huge kick out of discussing racism and reverse-racism with my black friends. Just as I would get a kick out of discussing this with you. As a homeschooling mom, I consider myself a "learner" not an "educator" and hearing and discussing other's thoughts and beliefs is FUN to me.

So, bottom line, I really like your blog! I don't care what you believe! But, I don't like your title. Why? Because I don't want my Christian homeschooling mom readers to see The Athiest Mom in my blog roll and bombard me or leave me. So, I guess you can add selfish to my list of sins. Shoot, guess I need to go to confession.

Kelli
I guess I worded that wrong! But yeah...I've heard some crazy things come out of people's mouths about what atheist supposedly are like or believe (and yeah - we don't believe in the devil, lol!).

I also didn't mean that all Christians are ACTIVELY seeking to convert people. I know when I was a Christian I pretty much felt like you - and not to mention was way to shy to go out and be all missionary-like. I meant they are passively trying to convert people by showing how awesome the Christian life is, how good God is, etc. etc. by naming him, thanking him, and the like - in their blogs.

Anyway, I gotta go pick up the kiddo from school pretty soon...and that's about all I have to say, lol!

So thanks for liking my blog (hah!) and giving me your input on the title, although I still stand firm on the issue. If someone is embarrassed to have other people see they read it, well, it's not really my loss...

although I am pretty sure you can follow anonymously.
beansmama is offline  
#8 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 PM
 
ALittleBitCrunchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hogwarts library
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like your blog - in fact, I commented on a post yesterday

I had the exact opposite response as mom3702 when I first linked through. Had it said "Happy Homemaker" I would not have given it as thorough of a look. The "atheist" in the middle made it unique and I was curious about what you would write about. I know several agnostics but don't personally know a professed atheist and it intrigued me, especially since it is strong enough a part of your identity that you blog under that label.

So, I really liked it. I'm either a follower or I subscribed to your feed...not sure which...but I enjoyed reading it.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

ALittleBitCrunchy is offline  
#9 of 21 Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
alittlebitcrunchy - THANKS! Nice to know the title can be intriguing as well as a turn-off, haha!

ETA: I just checked out your bloggy and decided to follow you, too! You pretty much had me at "fruitarian"!
beansmama is offline  
#10 of 21 Old 11-07-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Twocoolboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go ahead, request a review! I did it. It's really not that bad! I got a few helpful tips and some not so helpful ones, but it was interesting to get feedback.

And, I do have to add that I find it out of place when people declare their religion (or lack of) on their blog, especially when it has nothing to do with their blog topic. It's like writing an article about lawn care and mentioning that you don't like soda pop. It's completely irrelevant. I usually ignore it if I see a blog I like anyway, but I tend to follow some very focused blogs and those writers are not likely to do that. Though, I have seen a few crafting or couponing blogs that do. I think it would be just as out of place if I declared that I secretly love Sesame Street in my blog title or description, though my blog is about cleaning up clutter. I don't think I've ever mentioned my religious beliefs on my blog and, if I have, it wasn't intentional. I just don't think it matters for the goals of my blog and I don't want to alienate ANY readers.
Twocoolboys is offline  
#11 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
 
TwinMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: hiding in the bathroom
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm an atheist as well and have noticed the preponderance of religious bloggers. I still read those blogs, just skip over talk about religion. Definitely easier to do on a blog than in person.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

TwinMom is offline  
#12 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
 
listipton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: rural Illinois
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love your blog. I didn't know you were and MDC mama

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

listipton is offline  
#13 of 21 Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again, everyone.

Hm. So I read the "rules" regarding the critique and honestly, don't know if I'll be able to NOT defend myself?

I mean...what exactly does it mean to defend?

I'm not saying I'd be *defensive*...but like I did above (why I have "atheist" in my title) I would like to give an explanation or reason behind something if I feel it's needed...

Does that count as defending...therefore being a critique no no?

TIA!
beansmama is offline  
#14 of 21 Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by listipton View Post
I love your blog. I didn't know you were and MDC mama
Sure am

Do I "know" you from the blog-o-sphere?
beansmama is offline  
#15 of 21 Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
 
momof3boys3702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Go ahead, request a review! I did it. It's really not that bad! I got a few helpful tips and some not so helpful ones, but it was interesting to get feedback.

And, I do have to add that I find it out of place when people declare their religion (or lack of) on their blog, especially when it has nothing to do with their blog topic. It's like writing an article about lawn care and mentioning that you don't like soda pop. It's completely irrelevant. I usually ignore it if I see a blog I like anyway, but I tend to follow some very focused blogs and those writers are not likely to do that. Though, I have seen a few crafting or couponing blogs that do. I think it would be just as out of place if I declared that I secretly love Sesame Street in my blog title or description, though my blog is about cleaning up clutter. I don't think I've ever mentioned my religious beliefs on my blog and, if I have, it wasn't intentional. I just don't think it matters for the goals of my blog and I don't want to alienate ANY readers.
OK, yeah, you said that way better than I did. :-) LOL! I just wondered why you (not YOU, you generic as in "they" LOL) title it that if you have no intentions of discussing it.

Blogging, homeschooling, mom of 3 boys!
momof3boys3702 is offline  
#16 of 21 Old 11-12-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys3702 View Post
OK, yeah, you said that way better than I did. :-) LOL! I just wondered why you (not YOU, you generic as in "they" LOL) title it that if you have no intentions of discussing it.
I think I answered this already pretty thoroughly in #4?

In regards to your "SUPER CHRISTIAN MOM"...I didn't title my blog the SUPER ATHEIST HOMEMAKER....It's simply the happy (atheist) homemaker...notice the parenthesis...implying nothing "super" about it.

The point of having that in my blog title is so you know, instantly, that I'm not going to ramble on about god...as my description under my blog states. I feel inclined to point out I'm atheist because I am, and I'm proud of it...and I will occasionally mention it...although I wont get "preachy" (such as my brief mention in my recent post about simplifying christmas).

Anyway...that's all I really have to say about that, if you still don't get it then you're just not gonna...kwim?
beansmama is offline  
#17 of 21 Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
 
listipton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: rural Illinois
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Sure am

Do I "know" you from the blog-o-sphere?
Probably not as I am a lurker but I am listed as a follower same user name (I'm boring )

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

listipton is offline  
#18 of 21 Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ah! Found you

No worries...I'm a lurker on pretty much a million blogs as well...I totally get it
beansmama is offline  
#19 of 21 Old 11-13-2009, 06:27 PM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Thanks again, everyone.

Hm. So I read the "rules" regarding the critique and honestly, don't know if I'll be able to NOT defend myself?

I mean...what exactly does it mean to defend?
It means rebuking someone's commentary regarding your blog. If someone asks you a question about it, yes, please answer it! But we ask that if you simply don't agree, or don't like what someone who has taken the time to critique your blog said, that you simply say "Thank you for your time" and move on.

Our critiquers will tell you the truth, but they have always been very kind about it.

Quote:
like I did above (why I have "atheist" in my title) I would like to give an explanation or reason behind something if I feel it's needed...

Does that count as defending...therefore being a critique no no?
The above scenario was fine because they asked you.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
#20 of 21 Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
 
thatgirliknew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
I really like your blog - in fact, I commented on a post yesterday

I had the exact opposite response as mom3702 when I first linked through. Had it said "Happy Homemaker" I would not have given it as thorough of a look. The "atheist" in the middle made it unique and I was curious about what you would write about.
Same here, not that there is anything wrong with blogs titled "Happy Homemaker" or "Happy Christian Housewife" but there are a lot of them. The "atheist" in the title made it stand out.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
thatgirliknew is offline  
#21 of 21 Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 AM
 
allgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I subscribed. I love your blog. I have Christian blogs I follow(I ignore the preaching posts) and now I have yours. I see why you put atheist in the title and I like it. It attracted me and gave me some insight into your perspective even if you don't focus on your beliefs or lack thereof.

But I love your posts and topics so keep it up! I wish you had a follower widget though, I often get behind on my google reader and like to follow the blogs on blogger.

Allgirls
allgirls is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off