What did I do wrong?-Demand Studios... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I got all excited last weekend about finally contributing to our household again. Yesterday, I went through the list of sites (suite101, ehow, etc) to get things ready to apply to write for them. Everything I had read online left me with the impression that with a college degree (I actually have a masters), it would be easy to get accepted to write. I have done some freelancing, but its been SO limited and SO long ago and SO lame, it wasn't worth putting on my resume. Instead, I focused on my PR background and the marketing copy that I wrote for that. I have a blog with lots of interesting information about Africa, traveling, parenting, and cooking that I took my writing sample from.

So, why did Demand Studios send me a rejection letter this morning ?

Are they more selective than I realized? I was really looking forward to working for them to be paid up front for the articles...

Thanks for any insight you can offer. I'm willing to try again, but want to know what I need to do to be successful this time.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Hmmm. DS is a little nuts so they do weird things sometimes that often come off as irrational.

My only thought would be to put together some samples that are more articles than blog entries. Write 400 words on a health or business topic. Describing a career field would work too.

I think it would also help to be signed up at ehow so you can put that on your resume.

You'll really want to read this free ehow tutorial which is excellent.

Based on the changes they've made at DS, I would try to learn some SEO before you start working there. Which the tutorial and writing for ehow will help you with.

I have no idea how I was accepted since I later realized my writing sample had some horrendous typos

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#3 of 3 Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 AM

It sounds like, professionally, there's no reason to deny you. I have heard that they're only hiring people with degrees now.

However, as far as I know, they strive to have a writer base with diverse interests, hobbies and aptitudes. Perhaps your "niches" weren't ones they needed filled.

Several people who are writing there now, were denied more than once before finally "getting in"

You didn't say much about your samples (I forget if DS asks for writing samples) Make sure that they are written in third person and free from grammar and spelling errors.

You might want to "pitch" a different side of you, in case you have other skills or knowledge they may be looking for.

The other day they were looking specifically for people with genealogy experience. Livestrong writers have a medical background, Trails.com writers have "outdoor adventure" hobbies and like to travel.

Just try again, it's no big deal. That's what writing is all about. If you can't handle a rejected application then you do NOT want to meet some of the crabby editors.

Perhaps I shouldn't say crabby, they just fail to communicate like adults. I'm lucky my rewrite percentage is under 10% right now, but it's been like 2 years almost.

Good luck, don't take it personally either. Just play the game.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page