Writing at Associated Content (Please Read & Follow Thread Rules) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the AC thread hasn't been returned I'm going to attempt to start a new one.

In accordance with the UA, please adhere to the following rules: Please do not post links to your Content Producer page or your articles, in your posts or signature. Please do not spam users in private with these links unless they have asked. If someone asks you for a link, send it to them in a private message. Swap links only in private and when solicited.

You may tell us when you have a new article posted and what it is about, but again, do not link it. There is no need to say "See my CP page for it" or "PM me for a link" and so on to self-promote, because we all know that we can check your CP page or PM you. Keep self-promotion to a minimum. All we need to know is that you wrote something new and what it's about, and if people want to, they will take the initiative to find the peice and read it. Telling us the exact name of the piece is not recommended, because that's about the same as posting the link.

I am going to create a list of the MDC mamas and their AC links. If you wish to be added to it, please PM me with a link to your Content Producer Page. If you would like an updated copy of the list (which isn't available just yet, lol) just ask. I will try to send out copies to a few people so that I'm not the only one who knows.

Please do not post here if you advertise to your articles in your signature (unless you've purchased an advertising package).

Mods, I hope this is ok. If you want me to amend these rules please let me know. (Although none of us benefit enough from the bonus to afford, in six months, to pay for an MDC advertising package much less profit after doing so.)

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't been getting very good offers lately, only about $4 each. Anyone else having this problem?

My bonus so far is $11.36. You don't get paid until you have $15 so it'll be another month or two before I benefit from it. How are you all doing with it?

I have been writing in a journal and then typing everything up all at once so I can write wherever I am, jot down ideas, etc. I haven't been writing as much because I'm pregnant, sick and tired all the time!

I've got two new ones up, one about goal-setting and one about routine pregnancy screening tests that's pending.

The downrater has been visitting me a lot lately. Boo!!!

And some random person left rude comments on about of my articles in one day. She left two notes saying that babies should be circ'd at birth (UGH), signed surgery now. She left one using the name christianright asking why I'd mention I'm Pagan and wasn't that just asking for trouble. : And then another huge long rant, under SAHM, about how selfish working mothers are...and I'm like, woman, those are my cleints and friends you are talking about! Ugh. What is wrong with people??

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for this new thread! I was a bit leary of even discussing AC at all, but if we can do so without violating any UA I'm in.

I've got one article pending currently. I've been a combo of busy, fatigued (illness), and other stuff that doesn't lend itself well to writing. I hope to get back to it asap though. I've got a few ideas floating around in my head for an article.

The comments can really get crazy!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Some articles turn into full-out battles in the comments, it's crazy.

I just bought a supporting membership...thingie... I'm hoping in a few months to be able to afford the advertising so I can have a linkie.

I just hope ppl will be kind enuf to adhere to the rules of the thread.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

They just updated my page views and bonus. I'm up to $12.48 now. Maybe by the end of April I'll have earned $15, a whole $15 in 3 months...lol!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 PM

I've been getting lower offers since they initiated the bonus program.

I am starting a series of articles on fetal development, since I am unexpectedly pregnant. I also wrote one on nursing while pregnant. They're all just waiting.

Both NCD and I have had articles turned down because they didn't havea broad enough appeal, which is really stupid. The don't even HAVE a nature or environment section, and they should, but maybe they just don't get advertisers for those topics. One of NCD's was about how a certain octopus has eyes like human eyes. How is that not interesting?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM

So glad that you started this thread Heather.

Well I have learned a thing or two since they removed the original thread. First off did you all know that "the higher clout higher pay theory" isn't true.

I did a lot of news articles so I am not sure if the pay is lower since it was 5 dollars before the bonus and still this amount for the news articles. I am starting to write other things than news because I keep getting the response that my story is "This news story doesn't have broad enough appeal for us to offer payment." What no appeal I read about it on Google News Homepage. : Oh well.

I wasn't sure if we can mention an article by name here so I am just going to say that when I was pregnant I didn't have all of those procedures that were listened in the article and I felt like a lab rat. Great article Heather.

Happy writing everyone.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe your skill just tends to grow with your clout, and that's why some of us see higher offers? The $4 offers I've been getting lately...blegh.

Oh, they finally published my piece about prenatal testing. Glad you liked it! That's what I was just thinking downstairs, about my UP choice, how it's so nice to NOT feel like a lab rat/science experiment this time!

Can you guys PM your CP links to me? I'm going to try to make a list to send people who request it, like newb's.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to use the thread, in part, for reviewing new peices before submitting? I have a few I'm thinking of showing off a few to you guys, to see if you have anything to add or any suggestions for things I should change or omit, before submitting. That's the whole point of the mother's writing group, isn't it? I bet we'd get higher offers if we reviewed our articles first. (Don't post a link to it at AC or what you plan on titling it, just the text of the piece...we have to respect the UA!)

Does anyone think that they'll eventually be able to afford the MDC advertising package with the AC bonus? I'll probably only earn $15 this 3-month period so...unless I figure a way to get more page views, I don't think I will!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 PM

Hi all! So glad to see this thread!

I've got four pending articles right now. Hopefully they will get reviewed later this week.

My offers are kind of all over the place, so I haven't been consistently low or consistently high. The ones I get low offers for, like my AC for beginners article, I'm staying away from those topics in the future. Unless they end up with a lot of page views, which they haven't - lol!

Alisa - Congrats on your pregnancy! That's fantastic. I am hoping to be there soon too!

Did you all know they have a call out for product reviews now? It was in their last e-mail. I think it ends soon, like in a week or so. I'm going to try to do a few this week. Product Reviews are pretty easy to write up and I've gotten quite a few page views on the two I've done.

Is Amy Weekly a MDC mama? Does anyone know her? I'm enjoying reading her stuff. She's got tons of great bf'ing articles.

I've been visited by the downrater too. But, Heather, I have seen some nasty and weird comments on a few articles. Not mine, but I've seen them around on AC. Makes me very glad that I am using a pen name. I get paranoid about stuff like that - lol.

I haven't been on MDC too much lately as I am repainting my hallway right now. That and I've had a sick kid.

Happy writing everyone!

Barb (aka Lucy)
Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I love Amy!

There is one woman that goes around commenting on all the BF articles about how perfect her FF kid is, so FF must not be so bad. :/ Comments get nutty.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM

I have $15.57 in the bonus program already. I have links wherever they're allowed )i.e. in groups that allow them, discussion boards where they're approved, etc) and promote things on the AC forums. That helps a lot.

I could afford an advertising package soon, but won't be getting one. We're moving into a new house (YAY!) and I need all my AC payments to pay the utility bills and rent. But at least I have it!

Recently I've published many poems on AC, an article about something I haven't told my husband, and the story of our son's unassisted birth.

I enjoy writing for AC and am glad to finally see my clout go up to 6 after more than a month or more at 5!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

I should promote more. This is really the only forum I hang out in anymore. The other ones make me sick, everyone FFing, circ'ing, spanking...

Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM

My bonus equals $5.00 for all my work, so unless my hand-crochet etsy store picks up, I won't be advertising at MDC.

Maybe I should write more controversial articles to get more views. AC doesn't seem to care if your press is negative!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've been thinking the same thing too but I can't seem to think of any controversial subjects beyond circumcision, and I've written quite enough on that subject!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

removed link

ugh, another article about how spanking is A-ok.

and it has a decent rating, too, which I can't believe...why do people buy into that line of thinking?

I left comments. So far I'm the first one to disagree. I can't believe that either!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

ugh, another article about how spanking is A-ok.

and it has a decent rating, too, which I can't believe...why do people buy into that line of thinking?

I left comments. So far I'm the first one to disagree. I can't believe that either!
Maybe the author is trying to get a rise out of people to get page views. Who knows, I feel bad for all of the kids that have to get spanked.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 AM

I hate giving her views, but I downgraded her and left a comment.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I've been thinking the same thing too but I can't seem to think of any controversial subjects beyond circumcision, and I've written quite enough on that subject!
I should start writing about vaccines...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 AM

I just had my 1st article published. They offered me 7.29 for it. I accepted even though I had spent quite a bit of time on it. it was money I didnt have before. Hopefully the page views will cash out. My article was on controlling fleas naturally. I then submitted an article on seasoning cast iron-they offered 3.-i declined but resubmitted with exclusive rights to see how much that changes things. I don't know if I can do all this for $3. & $4. w/o having any rights to my writings.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhmaid View Post
I just had my 1st article published. They offered me 7.29 for it. I accepted even though I had spent quite a bit of time on it. it was money I didnt have before. Hopefully the page views will cash out. My article was on controlling fleas naturally. I then submitted an article on seasoning cast iron-they offered 3.-i declined but resubmitted with exclusive rights to see how much that changes things. I don't know if I can do all this for $3. & $4. w/o having any rights to my writings.
I always resubmit low offers, with more of the key word added to make it more searchable.

All you have to do if you ever want to reuse your writings is reword stuff. My articles are so short, but if I was writing for real money at a real publication I would take the time to make them more in depth. Also, a lotof my articles are news articles, so I really don't care if I own those....

By the way, anything over $7.00 is pretty good these days - my offers started over $8.00 and have started declining!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 AM

PS - they pay more if you include a picture. Also, only articles with pictures ever make it to front pages.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 AM

yep, pictures seem to equal another dollar and many more pageviews in my experience and might help you get your article featured in one of the sections.

My pageview bonus is up to $25 so yay I'll get it this month... but it's only cause last month it was like 14.93 right beneath the $15 minimum. I bet I will only get it every other or every 3 months the rate I'm going.

all my last 30 or so articles have been news so that was before offers went down. It's all I had time or energy for and I like the quick publishing. Haven't written anything in several days since I had my baby on friday

Heather I hate the comments from the FF lady, I know who you are talking about.

I'm hoping this week to do the 5 reviews since they are guaranteed $8. I have at least 5 new baby items I can write about (weego baby carrier, breastflow bottles, snugride, aria twin stroller, medela pump) In the past I wrote reviews on car seats and stroller and made $7-9 so $8 seems fair and they are easy to write.

Glad this thread is back! I wish we could include our links though and I need to PM ya heather so I can get a list again I still haven't subscribed to all the mdc mamas

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhmaid View Post
Congrats and good luck with the cast iron article.

Quote:
Can you guys PM your CP links to me? I'm going to try to make a list to send people who request it, like newb's.
Sure I will do that right now.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 AM

Controversy definitely gets you more page views and bigger offers. I'm trying to think of more controversial things to write about too.

Myrrhmaid - Congrats on getting your first article published! Keep trying because my offers are up and down. For every $3 offer I've gotten, I've gotten one at around $8 soon after. Also, I've found that the more I write these articles, the faster I get at it, so my smaller ones take less than an hour to write generally. And if it's something I haven't done any research for, I don't care if it's just a $3 or $4 offer. They all add up.

The call for product reviews ends Friday, so it's much sooner than I thought. I better get busy!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of doing a few pieces on vaccines, too, but I don't know a lot about them. I've done research and decided at the time not to vaccinate, but since then I've gotten a little rusty on all the details.

What else is controversial?

Nursing in public, but that's been done so much.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM

I wrote an article a few months ago on the dangers of the hepatitis B vax and newborns but I don't think it got too many pageviews, I'd have to check though, it was before the page view bonus. THere was a couple of comments agreeing with me and one lady who sounded very much pro-vax and said I was giving dangerous info but I feel strongly that brand new babies should not be injected with the vax when they have such a teeny chance of contracting the disease anyway (unless mom is positive herself)

I've seen a couple about pox parties get a lot of attention so that might be something to get page views.

I wish the CSO for reviews was longer then a week, I haven't done any yet and I really want to!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Heather I was looking at your signature and I am sure that you have researched UC and are up to date on that. Did your other two (I think I remember you had two sorry if it is more ) articles on that subject gain any attention. Is there anything else on that subject that you could could cover. I mean I am assuming the UC is controversial is a world where doctors encourage scheduled C/S to fit their golfing schedule. I wouldn't even attempt writing something controversial myself, I would worry that someone would leave me a nasty comment and hurt my feelings. Props to you moms . . . . and dads if NCD ever post in this thread who can right controversial pieces.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Congratulations on your new Katie!!

I can write about controversial things if I have the facts to back me up. Because then I can just tell people "Where's your evidence? Oh yes, you have none, so put up or shut up."

Especially now that I'm nauseated and hate everyone. Bring it on! Hell hath no fury like a pregnant bear!

NCD's not on this thread - he's getting sick of the shallow editors rejecting his news articles. I don't think the people over there even read the news. If it isn't about politics or entertainment, they don't know what to do with it. I mean, why would the average American care about Yellowstone grizzly bears being taken off the endangered species list? They're too bust worrying about the father of Anna Nicole's baby for crap like that!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I got a few comments but not a whole lot. I'm thinking of writing more but am not sure what else there is to cover

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post

NCD's not on this thread - he's getting sick of the shallow editors rejecting his news articles. I don't think the people over there even read the news. If it isn't about politics or entertainment, they don't know what to do with it. I mean, why would the average American care about Yellowstone grizzly bears being taken off the endangered species list? They're too bust worrying about the father of Anna Nicole's baby for crap like that!
I have gotten the response to news articles "This news story doesn't have broad enough appeal for us to offer payment. You can choose to resubmit for the non-payment option." too. :

I am trying to write stuff other than news but it is nerve recking waiting to know if you sold it.

User Tag List