Suite 101 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1428 Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
I also wish I had a graphic chart of article "hits" by each day of the articles life, so I could compare the growth day by day of each article. Or maybe I wish that little green percentage (average growth) could be shown per article instead of altogether. Also, I'm showing a red # -3.something percent. Does that mean my new ones suck? This is the first time I've seen a negative growth (shrinkage?)

Negative numbers just show fluctuations. If you have seasonal articles that do well, when that season is over, you'll have some negatives for a bit. My Easter article did really well and now it's tanked, as I expected. So, my numbers are dropping. I guess the only way to keep it in the green is to write a lot more, something I wish I could do now - lol. And, sometimes it takes time for the new ones to pick up momentum, but if you find they aren't performing how you would like, you can always go in and tweak the keywords a bit.

You can get the daily numbers by changing the parameters of the search on the page views, but, I agree, a graph would be cool!
#422 of 1428 Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
I am so far behind - I haven't written a blog in 2 weeks (yikes! given the reminder in Irene's last email) and I am 2 days behind in an article. Do you know if we should contact them when we are on vacation out of courtesy?
Yes, I think you are supposed to contact them. I'm sure I read it somewhere.
#423 of 1428 Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM

I jotted off a note to Irene this morning. I hope to get caught up by Friday. I am feeling so overwhelmed right now.

Oh and just to share- I got another writing gig. It's for a homeschooling website that I have written reviews for recently, but they contacted me that they liked my writing and are hiring me on as a contracted writer. Whoo-hooo! $15 an hour, so I am pretty psyched. I'll be editing others reviews for SEO and keywording, developing scope and sequence charts, and reviewing web resources. Haven't started yet, but hoping I can keep a balance on Suite, motherhood, and this new gig.
#424 of 1428 Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM

Congrats on your new venture Jenny - that is fantastic!!

When I was running behind due to sick kids and a vacation I just emailed my editor to let her know when to expect the next posts and she was a-ok with that. I ended up posting them a day later than that due to a horrific sedated dentist's appointment for my son but I blogged about that so I think she was able to see why.

I ended up creating a writing calendar. My friend that I've been writing for since last January (or so) has me working on several projects and I've been having a hard time juggling it all. I'm finding it to be a bit easier with a calendar so I know who I'm writing for on a given day. I've also sat down to brainstorm again as I was running out of article ideas.

Question - if no one minds sharing, what are your revenues/1,000 PVs? Mine fluctuate between $5.50 and $7.50. I'm actually really happy with that, I just need more articles and more PVs now hehe.
#425 of 1428 Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Last week, I actually peaked at the $10 range, but now that Easter is over I am back down to $5.50ish as well. It really goes up and down depending on who knows what. It's a mystery.

Writing calendar is a really good idea. I think I am going to have to do something like that. I was trying to set a Sunday goal, but I haven't stuck to that.

I did hear back from Irene on being behind, she told me not to worry. I do hope to get caught up by Friday though *gulp*.
#426 of 1428 Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Last week, I actually peaked at the $10 range, but now that Easter is over I am back down to $5.50ish as well. It really goes up and down depending on who knows what. It's a mystery.

Writing calendar is a really good idea. I think I am going to have to do something like that. I was trying to set a Sunday goal, but I haven't stuck to that.

I did hear back from Irene on being behind, she told me not to worry. I do hope to get caught up by Friday though *gulp*.
Wow that is fantastic, I don't think I've ever topped $8 per 1000 PVs. I do agree that it is a mystery though.

Glad you heard back from Irene and all is well.
#427 of 1428 Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM

That peak was because of my Easter articles. I had been getting abou 1000 PVs a day from them. Now that I don't have any seasonal pieces, I am hurting. Thinking of doing a summer series here soon.

Oh and the other thing that has helped is that I went back through and took out nearly all of my external links (needed to keep a few as it was a requirement for permission to use a graphic). I also trimmed down my internal links to three as well. Actually got a flag for that, didn't catch that in a newsletter in Feb. Anyway, definitely has had a very good impact on my revenue. Something to think about if you haven't done so. Less links seems to translate to more ad-clicks.
#428 of 1428 Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 AM

Thanks Jenny, I just spent an hour going through and removing external links from all 55 of my articles.
#429 of 1428 Old 03-28-2008, 06:59 AM

Hi everyone:, i am looking to join suite 101, evies_mom sent me over from the Ac thread as i am in Australia. I was looking to build up a bit of a portfolio with ac before i joined suite, as i don't have anything to put in my resume related to writing, do you think i should just go for it anyway? Would you mind pming me links to your articles, i would love to read them. I have a couple of other questions, do you think i will be able to keep up with the requirements with a newborn? my first is due in may, i was looking to do this to make a little bit of extra money, and to help my writing skills, and resume for when i go back to the workforce. Thanks everyone.
#430 of 1428 Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM

Welcome battymama!

As far as the work - as a contributing writier you need to write 10 articles in a 3 month period. Don't quote me on it, but I *think* as long as you are putting a solid effort to that no one will track you down and tie you to the computer to fulfill it precisely on time. If you have a decent support system, I think it is possible to do.

As far as the application process - I guess I would ask how you handle rejection. If you applied now but got rejected, would that discourage you completely? If so, perhaps starting at AC is the way to go (though your location issues might limit that- Helium and ehow are two other writing sites that I am aware of. Don't know what their requirements are though). I do know of some people who didn't get accepted at Suite on the first try.

The big thing to keep in mind is that your submission pieces should be tightly focused, with a searchable, transparent titles and subtitles. They do NOT accept articles written in first person (no use of I, me, you, your, we, us etc). They prefer objectively written pieces. Some argument as to the use of you/your being acceptable, but I prefer to replace it with a noun to enhance keywording.

Looking forward to having you join us, if we can help with the app process, feel free to ask.
#431 of 1428 Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I've slowly been working on removing external links too. I've got my top ten articles done and still have about 25 articles to do.

Welcome Battymama! Ditto what Jenny said. I have a newborn (well, he's 8 weeeks now) and, to be honest, it's been tough to keep up with the requirements. But, I'm a feature writer and have to do one article and one blog a week. I have been doing it though.

The only week I missed was the week the baby was born. I just e-mailed my editor and she was fine with me missing that time and actually expected me to miss more - lol! I found it easier to write in the first couple of weeks because I could put him in my front carrier, set the lap top up on the kitchen counter and type that way. Now that he's a little bigger and more alert, that's not working out as well, so I'm usually typing a paragraph here and there as I have time and finishing up at night when my dh is home. (I should be working on my weekly article now since big brother is entertaining him.)

Good luck with you app!
#432 of 1428 Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Question for everyone -

I'm starting a writing group at my local public library. The librarian is on board with it, but wants me to write a press release so she can put it in the monthly newsletter. Any suggestions on what to write? I want it to be about article writing, not fiction writing.
#433 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 03:11 AM

Good luck on the writing group, my favorite friend to chat with is my article writing friend. I tried to join a local writers group a few years ago and the &^^% poets and love stories just bored me to tears. Give me truth or give me more coffee.

I'm thinking links- I just published 1 with only one link, to another suite article (not mine) will I get blasted for not having enough links?

I don't mind never linking out of suite

I don't know if it's naughty or not, but i have <looking into my lap> created a blog post listing appropriate resources (including some appropriate affiliate links) and used THAT as a resource for further information at the end of the suite articles. Is that so very illegal? I did it when I thought I was getting fired, so I was like "screw them" and now I'm wondering if I'll get in trouble for it. The resource blog posts are actually also being picked up by search engines, since the keywords are the same, and when it's done, I include a link back to the article for more information. My goal is that people end up in a neverending spiral of stuff I wrote, and can't leave unless they click on an ad.

I think you're right about the red numbers being from the end of a seasonal article, the Purim one has officially seen its last hurrah. I'm hoping the DIY Summer camp is next, because I love the idea but DIY isn't really anything someone would search for to find that info.

my $/1000 WAS at 9.70 at one point, I haven't looked at it much lately- today it's at 3.99 wow- I suck.

I wish I could buy a hard copy of the Suite Tips & Tricks, and all their other stuff. I'd keep it in my purse to read while the kids were busy (dance class, girl scouts, whenever I can steal a minute)
#434 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 AM

TCB - Since it's for a library newsletter, I would probably start with leading questions. "Enjoy writing, but need inspiration and feedback? Dreaming about one day having you non-fiction writing published? Then come to our...."

Lisa - my profits have tanked down to the near $4 too. My philosophy is just ride the wave. They'll come back up.

Not sure about linking to your own site. I know that there is a line in the handbook something to the effect of self-promotion not being tolerated. I don't know if that would be construed as self-promotion or not.

You are so right about getting hard copied. Suite has so many resources, I feel like I never really have it all quite yet.

I got mostly caught up on my articles, now trying to catch up on yours.

TCB - loved your cloth dipe article and your co-sleeping one. You did a great job presenting a non-biased position. I was going to jump in on the discussion that stemmed from the piece, but didn't.

Everyone else, hope to read your stuff this weekend.
#435 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Oh and forgot to answer- I don't *think* you will get flagged for not enough links. It seems the new policy is to trim down links, in fact. I got flagged because I had too many internal links last week. I didn't fully understand the new policy (limit 2 external links, 3 internal). I had all internal, but linked the same articles in the body of the article and then repeated the same links at the bottom. From what Irene explained to me, the powers that be realized that readers are bouncing around too much within the site, rather than clicking on the ads (which is the goal for profit's sake). So to my thinking, fewer links is better than max links. Internal links are preferred to outside links.
#436 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good luck on the writing group, my favorite friend to chat with is my article writing friend. I tried to join a local writers group a few years ago and the &^^% poets and love stories just bored me to tears. Give me truth or give me more coffee.

Ha Ha, Lisa! I do NOT want poets in my writer's group - lol. I was thinking about that yesterday - I should write "poets need not attend" at the end of the press release - lol! (I would NEVER, actually write that - lol). I hope to make it clear enough that the group will be about article and non-fiction writing. I don't want to be listening to bad poetry for an hour once a month.

The fewer the links the better, I think. I used to be really link happy, but have gotten away from it. I do notice a difference in profits when I have fewer.

My revenues are all over the place. I've had over $9 before and am now down to around $3 something. I actually read in the forums that the more page views you have, the average revenues per 1,000 tends to be lower.
#437 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
TCB - Since it's for a library newsletter, I would probably start with leading questions. "Enjoy writing, but need inspiration and feedback? Dreaming about one day having you non-fiction writing published? Then come to our...."
Good ideas! I hope to get it written some time this week. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback on the articles too. I was very cautious in writing the co-sleeping article. My goal was to be unbiased, so I'm glad it came across that way. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about co-sleeping, on both sides. I was thrilled that someone started a discussion! That almost never happens - lol!
#438 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know if it's naughty or not, but i have <looking into my lap> created a blog post listing appropriate resources (including some appropriate affiliate links) and used THAT as a resource for further information at the end of the suite articles. Is that so very illegal? I did it when I thought I was getting fired, so I was like "screw them" and now I'm wondering if I'll get in trouble for it. The resource blog posts are actually also being picked up by search engines, since the keywords are the same, and when it's done, I include a link back to the article for more information. My goal is that people end up in a neverending spiral of stuff I wrote, and can't leave unless they click on an ad.

I don't know if that is naughty or not. I say let it ride and see what happens. I've thought about linking to one of my AC articles, but didn't have the guts - lol.

From what I've read elsewhere, that is a great kind of link to have. Links that come from things with similar key words are more important for google listings than links that come from things with no similarities. Google knows the difference. I feel like Google is the Wizard of Oz - lol!

Edited to Add - In that same article about links, it said that links from sources that have nothing in common with your site (article) are almost worthless. So, I'm once again on a non-bookmarking kick. I can't see how bookmarking on Digg would help me in anyway, you know? However, something like Heather's new site would be very helpful.
#439 of 1428 Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 PM

I KWIM TCB about the social networking. I really like that Suite allows us to see exactly how people are getting to us. Overall, I am getting minimal links coming from those social networking sites. The big HOWEVER, is that several times people have found one of my articles through there and linked to their related blog. I then get a decent amount of hits from that.

As far as your library gig- I would maybe include a list of topics that you will discuss that hits home the point that the writing group will focus on non-fiction pieces as well.

2as- O/T still following AI? I have a few faves this season - Brooke White, Michael Johns, both Davids. You?
#440 of 1428 Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 AM

Welcome, BattyMama- i think you'll be able to keep up. 10 articles in 3 months averages to around an article a week. When I first started, the whole keyword "thing" meant like an hour of research and then another hour to write it in the suite "style" and then another hour to fix all the things miss Irene would so graciously remind me to fix. I started at Suite the week or so after my 6th baby was born (and we're homeschooling) So I'm thinking you have plenty of time. Then again, I have five helpers (two of whom really ARE helpful)

Heathers site is looking amazing. And I, too, loved the co-sleeping article.

I'm still so nervous about that review- I have tweaked my latest articles a hundred times fidgeting about the review that still hasn't come. I think I'm on article #17 now
#441 of 1428 Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM

I don't know if I would expect that review anytime soon. In recent letters from Fiona and Joy, they noted that they are very far behind in the review process. I think with Mikala's leaving, what seems as a big push to increase professionaalism, and set themselves apart from other writing sites, and Fiona's official status only as "acting associate editor," they are really swamped. I do recall that they said if you are looking to be promoted to FW, you may expedite the review process by contacting the section editor (just be sure you already have 5-7 articles written in that topic). I was fortunate that I had my review in a fairly timely manner because I inquired about becoming a FW. I think TCB though waited a few months to get her review. I will say, be prepared that those reviews can be very, very intense. They really want writers to be successful, and they don't pull punches in telling you what you need to change about your writing.

So as for now not much you can do but keep writing.

PS: One thing that really helped me was that TCB had posted her review. There was so, so much that they mentioned in her review that also applied to my writing. I spent time editing my articles keeping those points in mind. I think that helped trim down my "fix it" suggestions when I got my review.
#442 of 1428 Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 AM

2a's - just curious, do you get many emails from your editor? Mine sends out group emails regularly reminding us of what we need to watch for, what problems are cropping up, what's going well, and what to expect, etc. Was curious if all editors do that or just mine.
#443 of 1428 Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Gah. Serve me right for being lazy, I just noticed that my three months are nearly up. And have I written ten articles? No, I have not. I just dashed off a hasty Number Seven, about cheesecakes... three to go... I've been so busy having a baby and all that Suite just hasn't been a priority. My page views, revenue etc are atrocious, so I know I need to work on my articles--it's just that finding the time and the ideas on combination is a bit of a mission! Oh well. I'll try to write an article every day this week--we shall see....

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#444 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 AM

Jenny, I seriously do NOT have the balls to ask Irene for anything at this point, I rather like being invisible. I just keep reading the tutorials on Suite and making little tweaks to my articles as is necessary. I am glad you reminded me about TCB's review, it's on this forum, huh. I will definitely go review it, thanks for the hot tip.

On a funny side note...

I clicked on an ad in my latest Suite article about the Girl Scouts (no external links, incidentally- no internal links either)

the link i clicked on took me to a funny video.
I blogged the video (with the adsense encoded URL) and my blog hits have tripled today, the headline was something like "public service warning about the dangers of girl scout cookie addiction" or something to that tune. People are loving it.

AND- my Suite widget is sending people from my blog over to my suite articles, too. If you're not using the widget you should. I just wish it were a different size. It's awkward looking.
#445 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM

In the latest newsletter, Suite said they were working on more widget options. I am hopeful they come up soon. The ones they have are way too big.

My review is posted here too, maybe a page or two after TCB's.

FYI- be careful about clicking on ads at Suite. I've accidentally done it, but it's a big no-no. It could be construed as fraud. (See 5.6 in your writer's contract under member's tools). When I've seen ads that interest me, I just type the URL in my browser instead.

Smokering - I would contact Fiona and let her know you just had a baby. I think that extending your 3 month deadline won't be an issue given the circumstances. How was the birth? What did you have?
#446 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM

The Google Ads thing is actually a requirement to participate in the AdSense program. If Google finds out that writers are clicking on ads, even other ads on the site (not just on their own articles), they can pull all of their ads from the entire site.

When I signed up with AdSense part of my contract is that I won't click on any of the ads anywhere on my site(s). So if something interests me, I do what Jenny mentioned - just type the URL in myself.

Smokering - Congrats! Details momma, details. Definitely contact Fiona and let her know.

Lisa - You crack me up hehe. I think my review is posted here as well although I can't remember.

Jenny - No emails from my editor. I mean she'll respond to an email if I send her a message but other than that, nada. Feel free to forward me the emails you get, I'd love to have more information hehe.
#447 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM

2a's- will do with forwarding. I was wondering if that was something specific to my editor, kind of thought may be but wasn't sure. I've got to dig up your email addy, otherwise I'll just try and contact you via S101. Thanks for the better explanation on the ads - I wasn't sure as to why, just remembered it was a concern.
#448 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Smokering - Congrats! I saw your post in the family bed thread, so I knew you'd had your babe. I hope you are getting some sleep now. I second Jenny - just send Suite an e-mail and let them know you had the baby. That it was I did and it was no problem.

Jenny - I've got the same editor you do. I like her e-mail updates. They are a good reminder for me and I usually learn something I didn't already know.

Lisa - My review took over a month, if I remember correctly. Sometimes they take awhile. Just keep writing in the mean time. I visitied your blog today because I HAD to see that girl scout cookie video you mentioned - lol. I can eat a box of thin mints in about 15 minutes. It's my secret shame - lol.

My goal for April is to write 20 articles. I brainstormed a bunch of ideas the other night, so I better get cracking on it!
#449 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey - I think MDC is doing an April Fool's joke! Look under our names. Are they quotes from Montey Python? LOL
#450 of 1428 Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM

LOL so that's where they are from! I've never really seen Monty Python so was kind of lost.

I like the idea of setting goals, does anyone else want to set a goal for April?

TCB - 20 articles, sounds like a fantastic and definitely attainable goal

My goal for April is four articles a week, in addition to my blog posts.

I need to sit down and spend some time brainstorming, I'm kind of running out of ideas. I have my writing calendar created, now I just need to add topics to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page