Suite 101 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, MytwoA's. I didn't notice that about my hyperlinks. I'll fix that a.s.a.p.

I looked at both of your blogs. Very cool! You are both inspiring me!

I did a lot of work on my organizing toys article and I think it's better. I improved a lot of the rankings that you discovered for me (and inadvertantly made some worse). I think the important phrases are better placed though. I got "organzing toys" to come up on page 1 of google in position 7, so I think that's good.

I worked on my attachment parenting article too. I just did that, so I'll check in a day or two to see how it's placing now.

I think what I am going to have to do is write articles as best as I can, then check out their placement and edit as needed.

You really helped me get an even better grasp on SEO, MTwoA's. I appreciate it so much!

I'm so thankful that we can edit in Suite. I wish AC gave us the same luxury - lol!

Evie'smom - You must be an early bird! Great job on the lanolin article!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
TCB -
I put up my 5th article today, this was about "heavy work activities" for kiddos with sensory processing disorder. These were all things I learned through my kids' occupational therapy so no sources to cite. The only thing is I couldn't find any suite stories to link to.
I sometimes wonder if my 3 year old has some sensory issues. He is very physical. I am going to use some of these suggestions. I know he would love the crashing activity. He is always crashing into us.
#93 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 01:58 AM

TCB - You're welcome. SEO is a big beast to wrangle so to speak. There are people that are employed full-time, making six figures a year, and all they do is SEO. The thing is, the search engines are regularly changing their formulas so just when you get it down *bam* an algorithm changes. LOL

I, too, am glad that Suite allows us to edit. I found that I left a word out of my bedrest article on AC and was like "UGH!". Must...proofread...better.

I bet your son would enjoy the heavy work activities. It's extremely beneficial for children with SPD but useful for all kids - I call it purposeful play. The kids spent about 45 minutes crashing today; they were both using different parts of our sectional but I didn't mind as they're not very big so couldn't do much damage (33 lbs and 39 lbs). hehe

So I'm trying something new - I'm using one of the Ping tools that I use for the American Idol blog I write for but instead of putting in just my AC or Suite link I'm putting in the links to the RSS feeds. So I'm pinging it with those everytime I update it plus I'm pinging it with my personal blog that also has the story name and link in it. So it's getting a ping from two different sources with the exacty same story names and links in it. Hoping that helps. It only takes about 3 minutes so not a huge waste of time if it doesn't.
#94 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 AM

NAKING -also my O key is working that well, hope you can figure ut what I am trying to say. It can take 7-8 hits to get it to type and I dn't want to bther with it.

My article on soothing a fussy baby is up now. I don't know why it took so long. I had been submitting at night and took TCB suggestion to submit during the day, but it took a long time for some reason. Did I mention that I got my first solid compliment from the editor? I hadn't imbedded the link prperly and she was contacting me to fix it, but added how strong of a piece it was. I do need to improve SEO on it though. soothe fussy baby puts me on the second page, as does calm fussy baby... I wonder if I should go with one or the other to bump it up further. Thoughts?

TCB - I can't add much to was A's said. She knows her stuff! I do have a question and will use your grocery article as an example. How much does it matter for SEO if we go back and forth on using plurals? For ex: you use tantrum/tantrums. I had been trying to stick to one or the other, but does it matter that much?

I have also been doing the same thing- going back and editing to improve rank. I also love the ability to edit after publishing.

2a's- can you explain more of this pinging stuff? I am not sure I follow. I do onlywire social bookmarking but that's it. And American Idol, huh? You a fan? I watch, though was disappointed with the past season (wanted Melinda to win).

I also read your SPD article, you have such a wealth of info to share! I did catch a small typo (again, let me know if you don't want this feedback). It's tiny but in laundry basket para and in your closing, you use the word child and then use "their" to refer back to him. They should agree in singularity/plurarlity, children/their, child/his/her. I generally just use child/his, but if uncomfortable with gender preference you could always alternatate articles, refer she one time he the next, or consistantly use children/their, KWIM? Also, not a big deal, but you stick with using the singular (child) through most of the article, but have one para that uses the plural. You may want to keep it parallel throughout the article for continuity sake. I realize neither of these things are a big deal, but it was the only constuctive criticism I could offer. I fear I am better at mechanics editing than SEO.

As far as me, I tend to be an early bird. I am an east-coaster, plus I've never been one to require a great deal of sleep. PLUS, the snow and ice hitting the window kept me awake, light sleeper.

For my blog, I want to do an "Writer of the Week" post and feature people. I will start with you two, if you like that is. Could you PM me the answer to these questions when you get the chance?

1. How did you come to start writing for the web?
2. How long have you been writing personally? Professionally?
3. Places published (other than AC and Suite)?
4. What do you like to write about?
5. Any personal info on your family you would like to share to tell about yourself?
6. Something that have you learned (can be about yourself, about writing, freelancing etc)
7. Writing goals? Achievements?
8. Anything else you would like to throw in, lol

I've got another article to publish today on nipple confusion and working on a companion piece to that the may go out today or tomorrow. Welcome critiques girls!

Have a good day - TCB, how ya feeling? How is the pregnancy coming along? Any chance for a Christmas baby?
#95 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Okay I'm annoyed again, my heavy work activities article got flagged for the following reasons:

title unclear
title lacks context
subtitle is not keyword-focused
article lacks bold, title case, keyword-centric subheadings

Thet title is 100% clear, the editor just doesn't know what it is so she thinks it is unclear. Anyone searching for that type of activity is going to know what it is.

The subtitle *is* keyyword focused - the subtitle is "Five Ways to Meet Your Child’s Sensory Needs" - sensory needs is the main keyword there

If you guys look at my article you will see that the subheadings are bolded, I don't understand what the issue.

I've not had any problems unless I've posted under Partners and Parents - my other three articles have gone up without a hitch.

I honestly think I'm going to stop writing for suite - it just isn't worth it for me now to write for something that is only going to receive residual returns; this will not be a moneymaker for me for at least a year and at that point without being a feature writer (which I don't have the time for) it will only be pennies. I'm writing for fun and to make a few bucks, it is not fun to have an editor who clearly does not understand the topic at hand and then decides that it is a problem with keywords.

I'm the #5 google search for the topic; out of over 1.5 million. It is obviously a keyword.
#96 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM

I wanted to say sorry if I sound whiney. My seo friend and I were flaking about the site and running numbers last night which led me to the likely decision to stop writing for suite. The annoyance level I felt this morning just kind of seals the decision. I am on my phone eight now but will respond to your post when I get home jenny. Thank you for finding that error, that is one of my most made mistakes. I'd like to continue to hang out on this thread if you gals don't mind. I have found the seo conversation wnlightening and you are both great at what you do. Pardon typos pls.
#97 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

TwoA's - I'm sorry to see you leaving Suite, but I know how frustrating it can be. The money does seem very frustrating at first, but that is not the only reason that I write, so for me, Suite has been great. I have learned so much. Not just from them, but from you and Evie'smom! I do hope you stick around this thread!

If you consider changing your mind, I would suggest that you e-mail the editor for Parents and Partners and tell her what you told us. I had an article in the early fall that the editor wanted me to change some things in and I explained why I wrote it the way I did and she understood and was ok with me leaving it as it is. They are very willing to work with you there.

I do want to mention that this will be the third month in a row and fourth month all together that I will have made the minimum to get paid from Suite, just so you know that payment does happen eventually. I got paid for the first time in my 4th month with them, soon after I hit my first 10 articles, if you write those quicker than I did, you'll probably make that first payment sooner. I've just about made my $10 for this month already. The past two months, I was sweating it to the end, but this month I've got it easily. So, it's been a little more satisfying in that respect. I know it is not the same as getting paid upfront, but I do still think that long-term, Suite is the better deal when compared with AC. I'm hoping to have 50 articles total at Suite by the end of February, then I will have my 20% increase or bonus, not sure how that works. Anyway, that may not influence your decision at all, but I wanted to throw it out there.

I got an e-mail from Irene Taylor this morning. And, she didn't say no to my application either. She likes the SEO work that I did over the weekend and wants me to write more articles for the Parenting Methods section so she has more to go by. So, I feel hopeful.

EviesMom - I will get to your questions later. I've got a doctor's app't this morning and really need to get ready. I've been feeling good and I'm hoping to NOT have a Christmas baby - lol. I'm 36 weeks today, so I guess it could be any time. My oldest son was born at 36 weeks. I want to wait until after the New Year though. I don't feel like labor is coming. No sign of my mucus plug yet and no major nesting urges recently.
#98 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM

Melissa,

I hope you reconsider. I do understand that knee-jerk reaction when you get flagged. My initial gut reaction every time has been, "WHAT??? The article is FINE." And take it personally. Then when I step back, detach myself from it, I realize the editors know what they are talking about. They want us to write well because they are invested in our performance.

It's tough to because I think for the bullets of what needs fixing, the editors are clicking a menu and so sometimes parts of that bullet doesn't apply to you.

I hope this is ok to say, but I *think* I get what she was concerned about with the title. If I read the main title (heavy work activities), I wouldn't have guessed at all it had to do with SPD - I would have guessed exercise or contruction - nothing to do with kiddos. The problem, of course, is how short the title must be. Perhaps, main title "Sensory Activities for Children" and then more specific in the subtilte with "Heavy Work Benefits a Child's Focus and Self-Regulation." The "five ways to meet" really isn't important for keywording, kwim? they same thing happened to me on my "breastfeeding tips for new moms" I had extra words that really didn't help SEO. I've started thinking that the subtitle should more specific than the main title. So, for yours start with the broad "sensory activities" then go specific with "heavy work activities." I hope I make sense.

I also screwed up the subtitles on my lanolin article and had to fix them. I didn't realize subtitles had to be title case and in the form of a statement for suite. I had "What is lanolin?" "How does lanolin benefit the breastfeeding mother?" etc. The handbook does say that they are two be title case statements for the subheadings. Suite does have a format that might be to cookie cutter for some people, but they have something that works for them and they want continuity with articles.

Keep in mind to, that she doesn't want you to fix any of the body- the MOST important part. She's just brushing up the details. You are a great writer and the type of articles you are writing fit in great with the style of writing Suite is looking for.

I am thinking that the first 10-20 articles are going to be a high learning curve for me. I am expecting that almost all my articles will be flagged until I catch on to the style of writing that Suite wants. I also am anxious for the feedback report I will get when I hit my 10 articles.

If you really are bothered, I would contact Irene like TCB said. Ask her to clarify and for some guidance.

(((HUGS))))

TCB - I'd love to hear how your appt went.
#99 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 PM

I also wanted to add that I think Irene, the P&P editor, is VERY thorough. I published another article in a different section and didn't get near the same feedback as hers.
#100 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 PM

TCB - Thank you for your words of encouragement. I did email Irene Taylor this morning to discuss her flagging of my article and explained the reasons I chose the terms I did. Write now I'm writing partly for the experience and learning process but I also want to pull in a little extra each month - $100 is my goal right now. That doesn't sound like much but when you have tens of thousands in medical bills every little bit helps. Next semester I will be carrying a course load of 17 credit hours so I will be busy, my friend last night talked to me about focusing my efforts because time will be limited. We went over my goals (short and long term) and that is when I came to the conclusion that for now AC is a better fit for me.

I think your goal of becoming a feature writer is fantastic and I do believe that you will get there, soon! Your writing is solid and as you pick up on the SEO contents they editors will take more notice.

I hadn't realized you were *so* pregnant, you're in the final stretch now! My babies were 36w and 37w so I know what you're saying. Here's hoping you make it past New Year's.

Jenny, I think your keywords are good - when I typed in "baby is fussy" (without the quotes) you're on page 2 and that phrase has over 2 million hits so is a commonly used phrase - more so than the others. As your article "ages" it gains a higher rank, at least based on what I've read.

WRT pinging - what you do with Onlywire is a ping as well I believe. Basically I go to blogsearch.google.com and directly ping google with the RSS feed page from my blogs and AC/Suite page. Then I hit www.pingoat.com and do the same thing.

Definitely an AI fan, I've watched every season. I'm in Arizona so was pulling for Jordin since she's a local gal. I giggle that her debut album tanked - it only sold 119,000 copies in it's first week, that's the worst debut of any AI winner - even worse than Fantasia!
#101 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Oops Jenny we were posting at the same time.

Thanks for your input on the Title/Subtitle. My idea behind keeping the title as-is is that I'm not creating it for someone browsing through suite's site but instead for someone googling the term. It is a term commonly used among occupational therapists as well as those involved in the field of sensory integration therapy. So while it sounds odd to someone who doesn't understand it, it is a specific term used for a specific industry. Your suggestions for swapping them around makes absolute sense and would still likely give me high SEO placement but I think #5 is pretty solid. There is no way I'd get #1, the page that is there has it locked up for sure.

With the subtitle, I see your point. They are looking for a specific format and the five ways aren't keyword-focused but the phrase sensory needs lands me on the top page of google as well. Thank you so much for your input.
#102 of 1428 Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 PM

That does make sense then. Let us know what Irene has to say. I hope she's willing to work with you.
#103 of 1428 Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM

Published again.

2As - did you hear back from Irene about the title? How did things play out?
#104 of 1428 Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks for asking Jenny. I heard back from hear last night, she works some long hours evidently. She was very nice in her response and explained the reasons for the flags. I didn't include "heavy work" as my #1 keyword, I wasn't aware of the exact purpose of the keywords so it helped out. I just edited my article and did add a little bit to the title. Irene's very nice and helpful response has made me think again about writing. I feel like Kerry in the 2004 election...flip/flop flip/flop. LOL

I'll go check out your article.
#105 of 1428 Old 12-18-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

My2A's - I'm glad to hear that you are reconsidering! I've "talked" with Irene a few times now and she has always been very helpful and nice.

We had a busy day here yesterday, so I didn't have a chance to write, but I'm hoping to work on an article tonight.
#106 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 AM

TCB - Good to *see* ya, sometimes busy is good...sometimes not so good.

Jenny - I just read your two latest articles and wanted to commend you; fantastic job. Linking to your other articles will raise the google rank of those articles as well! Writing a whole "network" of articles on similar topics is going to be fantastic!
#107 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 AM

2as - So glad to read you had a positive experience with Irene. I do hope you stay, I think your writing style fits very well with Suite. You come across very professional and write with authority.

Thanks for your kind words. Right now my plan is to do a series on family nutrition (which would include bfing). I also would like to do a few articles on formula feeding (not bashing ffing, but more of a how to thing. I have found that so many ffing moms don't have accurate info on how to feed their babies). My problem is knowing where to put all my ideas. There doesn't seem to be a category for them.
#108 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 11:42 AM

My "dirty little secret" is that both of my kids were FF (started off BFing). With my son I didn't know any better and when we had latch issues the ped gave me formula a month in. With my daughter at 3 months (exclusively BF on demand at that point, I'd learned hehe) she was FTT. I went to my OB who said my prolactin levels were next to nothing. I tried all the galactalogues that I could and my prolactin just kept plummeting. By six months I'd completely dried up. With my son I had an overabundance and with my daughter I had an underabundance. I guess the only good thing about it is that for both of them "feeding" time was still special one-on-one time with mom; holding skin to skin, no bottle-propping, etc. I think writing an article on the *best* way to FF is a fantastic idea!!
#109 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 PM

I know that it may not be popular here, but I believe that mamas should be proud of however long they bf. I strongly believe in bf, but I don't judge anyone for their choices. I think that it's wonderful that you bf as long as you did.

My dd1 I had severe supply issues from birth. She was nearly 8 weeks until she regained her birthweight (though she was a "big" baby to begin with). I also made some mistakes with her- plus I think my c/s and bad reaction to meds didn't help. Took a lot of work to get my supply up, but she had to receive supplement the first 5 months. dd2 was a natural birth and had no issues at all. It's amazing how different each experience can be.
#110 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the support momma. I've had run-ins with some people who feel I'm the devil because of it. It's quite weird.

I put another article up at Suite today. I'm still split on the two, I know I'm only going to have time for one come January. Short term gain or long term gain.

On the other site today the main page had a news piece about the severe weather in the NE but it was titled "Serve weather" and then in the summary it had "Serve weather" again...yikes, that is a huge mistake. I'm not perfect and I know that I miss things but it's not serve weather, it's severe weather!

I also have an interesting conversation happening on one of my ac articles in the comments section - I'm just staying out of it. I'm not sure if the comments section is a good idea. LOL

TCB - How ya feelin' today?
#111 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM

oooh! drama- i will have to go check it out! I tell you two of the things that I really don't like about AC are the comments section and the rating system. That part makes it seem like it's all a popularity contest. I understand that most people want to be nice so that writers reciprocate, but sometimes it just makes it seem like empty compliments, KWIM? And the ratings- don't even get me started on that part of it.

Sorry that sounds like i am really bashing AC, and I don't mean to. I think AC and Suite has very different goals and they support writers in different ways. It's just a matter of deciding which company is a better fit for the individual. AC definitely has that immediate reinforcer, which I think contributes to its popularity.

BTW- what are you studying 2as?
#112 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Yes they are definitely different sites. I'm still only a couple weeks into this whole process so learning.

I am studying to become a speech-language pathologist. After 3 years of college and 3 majors right out of high school I stopped; I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life and I was wasting money. Fall 2007 was my first semester back. Even though I'll be at a senior level after the Spring semester I won't graduate until 2010 because of major requirements. The it's off to my Master's as you can't be an SLP without a Master's degree.

Seeing the price of tuition (public state university) is making me kick myself in the rear - I had a full ride scholarship when I started but going from a small town with strict parents to a huge university (over 40k at the time) and living in a dorm just didn't really make for an easy transition hehe.
#113 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi gals!

My2A's - Glad to see you still on Suite! Just my opinion, but Suite is more work, but it builds more over time. AC will always be there if you want to write a quick article for quick cash some time. However, to get to the point where you are making $100 a month on Suite is going to take some time. But, I think that once you get there, you will stay there while only writing a few new articles a month. At AC, while the easy choice now, you'll have to keep your production at a certain level to make $100 a month. ETA - I just reread that paragraph and it's rambly and probably makes no sense - LOL. Can I chalk it up to the pregnancy?

I think being an SLP sounds like a great career! My oldest had speech therapy when he was younger. I used to think "why didn't I think of majoring in that in college?" every time the therapist came to our house. LOL

As far as AC vs. Suite, I have a lot of the same views that Jenny has. I think that AC does make it into a popularity contest and they even seem to try to pit CP against CP, as evidenced by how brutal the forums can get sometimes. I don't think it is good business practices to let some of the more knowledgable CPs do their work for them in the forums.

I will check out both of your new articles soon. I've been a lazy bum the past couple of nights.
#114 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I think that AC does make it into a popularity contest and they even seem to try to pit CP against CP, as evidenced by how brutal the forums can get sometimes. I don't think it is good business practices to let some of the more knowledgable CPs do their work for them in the forums.
Yeah, very well said. There definitely are some knowledgeable CPs there and I respect their knowledge, but the company itself provides practically no guidance to writers. And a little o/t, but I am so tired of the whole pitting people against each other in general, you know? I have been really frustrated with the competitive nature of moms, the one-upmanship, putting people down or judging them just to feel better about themselves. I just don't want to deal with that when it comes to writing.

2as- also very cool about the SLP. One of my closest friends is an SLP and she loves her job. She works with 18 - 36 month kiddos.
#115 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 PM

TCB - I had speech therapy when I was a child (I couldn't pronounce my Rs until 3rd grade and that was after two years of therapy) and of course both of my kids have speech therapy (albet it in different ways). Seeing their progress in therapy is what led me to the field.

I just read your story on grocery store tantrums - great ideas! The grocery store is alone time for momma hehe - one of my kids freaks out and tries to withdraw from all the noises and sounds and the other kid freaks out because she loves all the noises and sounds. Makes for an interesting trip hehe.

Jenny - GREAT yogurt article. My son had some Trix yogurt at school one day and came home to tell me about this "cool" yogurt he ate and then he told me what it was. I told him that wasn't yogurt it was candy in a yogurt container hehe. We never could get into the plain yogurt, even adding fresh fruits, honey, homemade syrups etc so do buy preflavored yogurt but like you've suggested we go for the ones with the least amount of ingredients and natural sweeteners.

I wrote another article today, this time about natural alternatives to commercial air fresheners. I put it in the green living section because I wasn't sure where else to put it.

TCBs - definitely food for the thought on $100 now an no residuals or a little bit now and more residuals as the article ages, etc.
#116 of 1428 Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post

2as- also very cool about the SLP. One of my closest friends is an SLP and she loves her job. She works with 18 - 36 month kiddos.

We were posting at the same time again hehe. I'm hoping to work either in an elementary school or part-time at a therapy center working with the 0-3 population. I want to make sure I'm home after school for the kids, have a flexible schedule, etc. The SLP that works with my daughter this year is on a contract basis - she works 20 hrs/wk. Sounds ideal to me!
#117 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
And a little o/t, but I am so tired of the whole pitting people against each other in general, you know? I have been really frustrated with the competitive nature of moms, the one-upmanship, putting people down or judging them just to feel better about themselves. I just don't want to deal with that when it comes to writing.
I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
TCB - I had speech therapy when I was a child (I couldn't pronounce my Rs until 3rd grade and that was after two years of therapy) and of course both of my kids have speech therapy (albet it in different ways). Seeing their progress in therapy is what led me to the field.

My oldest, whose in 3rd grade now, just developed his Rs within the past 6 months to a year. He had speech at age 4 to help with the consonent blends and to slow down. He was a very fast talker. He improved so quickly with those, but the Rs were very challenging for him. He had a break from speech in K because that is really too early to worry about the R sound, but then in 1st grade the SLP at the school started working with him again. It was a slow gradual improvement. He was discharged from speech in 2nd grade even though he still had a ways to go, but the SLP felt that most of the progress he was making was just because of his own maturity and growth. He sounds great now! I'm very happy with the help he received along the way.
#118 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Jenny - I linked to your yogurt article in my latest article. I hope you don't mind. Hopefully it will get you a few page views. They wanted me to write more parenting methods articles about some of the topics I haven't touched on in that category yet, so I wrote one on holistic parenting and gave you a link.

I need to proof the article first thing in the morning. I would have waited to post it, but I wanted to see if my picture was going to work. I've been having some trouble with those. This one came out ok though.
#119 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Jenny - I linked to your yogurt article in my latest article. I hope you don't mind.
How dare you. that's fine. Actually, I returned the favor in my next article set to publish.

I am struggling with the photo too. Not sure if i am doing it right.
#120 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 01:08 PM

tcb - typo

world around him and his place in it the moment he is out of the womb. comma between him, and

Beautifully written piece!

And 2as- thanks for the compliment on my yogurt piece. I missed that earlier.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page