Suite 101 - Page 48 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1411 of 1428 Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smokering - I've got an idea for you. I need to know how to take care of a toddler's curly hair. My son's hair is curly and really wonderul, but I'm not to sure how to deal with it. It's often a tangled mess. The only time I really get all the snarls out is when he has a bath and I load it with conditioner. Any helpful tips for me? Could you get a whole article out of that?
#1412 of 1428 Old 11-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Ok, three more for you:
How to avoid frizzy flat, thin hair?
How to prevent flat, thin hair from looking oily.
And in children (as my dd inherited my hair) how do you prevent a child's thin hair from getting huge knots - it's frizzy and seems to tie itself together spontaneously.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#1413 of 1428 Old 11-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey y'all,

I'm taking a bit of a suite break. I got my 10 articles and now I really need to concentrate on the house stuff (we're remodeling the kitchen) and holiday stuff and my ability to multitask is just not that stellar. I might try to get an article or two in for the holiday challenge. When is the deadline on that? But other than that I'm just going to sit tight for a bit. My revenues have plummeted as predicted since Halloween. People are still reading my Where The Wild Things Are Halloween Costumes articles, though! of course the views are about 1/10 of what they were, but they're still my highest PVs on some days!! Wouldn't have predicted that!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#1414 of 1428 Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 PM

I just read an article at Suite suggesting people start feeding their infants cereal at 3 mos of age. Gah. I wrote to the author suggesting she reference the current AAP advice of exclusive breastfeeding (or formula) until 6 mos of age.

From a personal standpoint, I hate the idea that someone might read this and start feeding their infant packaged rice cereal at 3 mos! From a professional standpoint, I dislike the idea that someone would associate something I write with something not well researched. (I know lots of people think this is ok, but it is not supported even in the mainstream community. And I feel someone writing on the subject should probably reference that.)

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#1415 of 1428 Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 AM

I keep meaning to write articles comparing the total lack of fiber & minerals in processed baby foods compared to simply giving baby mashed whole foods.

I did it for an eHow article and could have written forever

the USDA has a great resource for comparing nutrition stats
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
#1416 of 1428 Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
I keep meaning to write articles comparing the total lack of fiber & minerals in processed baby foods compared to simply giving baby mashed whole foods.

I did it for an eHow article and could have written forever

the USDA has a great resource for comparing nutrition stats
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
I'd love to see that Lisa. I'm really curious how they differ. Just because they don't have additives does NOT mean they are the same as fresh food.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#1417 of 1428 Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM

So has anyone been seeing a HUGE drop in earnings? I sure have. Maybe it's because everyone is looking for holiday stuff, and I have no holiday articles? How are you mamas faring with holiday articles?

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#1418 of 1428 Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Only in the last few days, but I have holiday articles. I think that people have moved past my baking and card and advent articles into real life Christmas shopping now that it's getting late to ship things.

I am dreading January and must get on some early spring-ish articles to bridge the gap before my gardening articles pick up again.

I am jazzed that I made almost $150 last month, though! That is way beyond my expectations when I started this. My next big goal is $300/month.

#1419 of 1428 Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope! My earnings are still increasing, albeit very very very slowly. I'm making a few dollars more every month - not the huge leap I'd like to be making, but not too bad either! I have a few Christmas articles, maybe five... one is doing very well in terms of PVs, but I don't know if it's affecting my revenue much.

I've also been posting fewer articles since my NaNo non-fiction blitz, so I need to get back into it. Right now even doing my FW minimum feels like a chore. But I have a huge list of things I want to buy - bookshelves, an electric grain mill, and a holiday for next year - so I should really start putting my nose to the grindstone!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#1420 of 1428 Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 PM

my daily average is down $3 a day so far this month - good thing I"m not checking every day that would be a bummer. For the first time in a very long time i dipped below $10 for a day (what, no pouting smilie?)

life is busy, life is good & thank heaven for demand studios at the moment
#1421 of 1428 Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

Hey Angela, I was reading a tutorial on suite and noticed a testimonial from you. Nothing special, I just though it was cool that I "know" you!

http://www.suite101.com/learn/where_revenue_comes_from

#1422 of 1428 Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I feel a bit silly posting this after Lisa's post, but I just had my first-ever OVER-$10 day. Yay! I can't see any spikes in traffic that would indicate an article was linked to, so I'm hoping this is symptomatic of an upwards increase and not just a random one-off good day.

DH officially launched his web design business on January 1, and plans to quit his job and work from home full-time by the end of the year. I'm excited, but also a little scared as it could mean my privileged little writing hobby actually becomes important. It's possible we'll really need my Suite income this year, instead of being able to use it as Internet fun money. So I have some extra incentive to get my revenues up! I have a this-much-a-month-by-December goal to work towards...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#1423 of 1428 Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM

smokering, I have also noticed a few hair care writing contracts on Elance. Not sure if you do that, but you might want to bid on them to see what they'll pay.

#1424 of 1428 Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 AM

solid goals are a very good thing I;m thinking if you had your own website for haircare, you could sell some of your articles bundled up into ebooks, like "Everything you need to know about your frizzy hair" or "Straight hair owner's guide" or "Inter-racial adoption guide to adorable hairstyles" Who knows Congrats on that $10 day Earnings are up now, almost back to normal. Now that Xmas is over & all. I have to remember this for next year.
#1425 of 1428 Old 01-10-2010, 12:46 AM

In light of the writing mom's forum closing, I want to invite you all to http://MDCwriters.ning.com It's a free service and it's easy to sign up, they have message forums, blogs, chatrooms, etc

I also made a facebook page in case the ning group is too much (I think everyone is on facebook) facebook has all the same goodies- you probably already know

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=280723111507

This group means a lot to me, I could not have built this career without the support of my MDC mom friends. I miss you all already.

Moderator- I have no possible way of making money from either of the links I have posted, in case you wondered.
#1426 of 1428 Old 01-10-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

I wrote the first post in this thread almost 2.5 years ago! That's a long time for a thread to still be active. Thanks to everyone who jumped in, gave advice and supported all their fellow Suite writers!

I'll miss this little corner of MDC!
#1427 of 1428 Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 AM

Wow, I'm going to miss this forum as well. It has helped me soooo much! I started writing for the web 3 years ago this month and have grown by leaps and bounds and I owe most of it to this forum.

I was getting ready to log on here about the 14 posts in 14 days challenge, I think I'm going to participate in it even though it's been live for a few days. I need to get more articles online and this is a good way to get my articles up...now if only this raging ear infection would go away I could take the time to actually write.
#1428 of 1428 Old 01-10-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hey 2A's! I'm doing 14 in 14 days, too. I've got two articles done, 12 to go. I need that contest to give me a kick in the pants. I've been a bit lazy with the on-line writing lately.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page