Suite 101 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
How dare you. that's fine. Actually, I returned the favor in my next article set to publish.

I am struggling with the photo too. Not sure if i am doing it right.

LOL - thanks! What an adorable picture you found to go with your article!

I think my photo problem is that I sometimes choose photos that are too big or have too high of a resolution. It will still take the upload, but once the article is published, it will look out of focus and have a pink color to it. I need to find out what size and resolution works best so I don't keep uploading photos that I have to delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
tcb - typo

world around him and his place in it the moment he is out of the womb. comma between him, and

Beautifully written piece!
Thanks. I fixed it.

ETA - Should home schooling be one word or two? I'm thinking one, but MS Word didn't like it as one.
#123 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 PM

Most everything has it as one word. I struggled to know what to do with breastfeeding, too.

Oh, and I have my 10 articles in now. Would it be helpful for you ladies if I posted the feedback they give me here? I don't mind you all seeing my critique. Thought it might help you too. Let me know.
#124 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM

I just realize my article on how to tell if baby is getting enough breastmilk got picked up at a public blog. It's called Barefoot Mamas- TCB, any chance that this is the same blog that referenced you?

Also, my article on dad's and cloth diapering is in the number one spot on google. There are about 45K articles on the topic. I don't know how much someone will google it, but for now it's a good spot.
#125 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just realize my article on how to tell if baby is getting enough breastmilk got picked up at a public blog. It's called Barefoot Mamas- TCB, any chance that this is the same blog that referenced you?

No, the blog that picked up my article is called mahalo.com. It was my frugal Christmas article.

I also had an article a while ago that I think was referenced on a message board on a Christian parenting site. I had several hits from that site, but couldn't log in to see exactly what it was. I was going to join, but I had to fill out a very detailed questionairre and I just didn't feel like going through the effort. I just hope it was posted in a positive way - lol!

I need to check my google rankings.
#126 of 1428 Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Busy day here, I need to read the msot recent articles from both of you. I was browsing the AC boards last night and saw someone mention http://www.constant-content.com, it looks like a good site - especially for dumping articles after your 1 yr exclusivity rights with Suite wear off.

TCB - I'd love to hear the feedback and critique that you are getting, any help I can get I'll take!
#127 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

My2A's - I've got a couple of articles up at constant content that I wrote over the summer. I haven't sold either of them, but I do plan on submitting more in 2008. I've read that the chances of selling are greater the more articles you have up, which makes sense. I agree that it would be a great outlet for the Suite articles once the exclusive rights time is up.

I just got an e-mail from Suite. I got a checkmark on my holistic parenting article!!! Yay! I'm so excited. I've been working hard on my writing and it's nice to get a little recognition.

Eviesmom - Feel free to post your review when you get it. I'm sure it will be helpful for all of us.

I will try to post mine too. I'm not sure I still have the e-mail though. I did print it, but it was quite long, so I don't want to retype it if I deleted the e-mail already.

Merry Christmas!
#128 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM

TCB - Congrats!! I just read the article, absolutely fantastic body of work! Interesting to know about constant content - what you said makes sense though.

Jenny - I am interested to see what critique you received as well.

These past few days have been hectic for me - I haven't written in a few days and I just now updated my blog. I'm hoping to get a new article up today at Suite, I'm just trying to figure out a topic hehe.

So how do you guys come up with topic ideas? Do you brainstorm or do they just come to you?

For me it's a combination of both - I see something that piques my interest and decide how I could incorporate it into a new article or something happens in my life that in turn becomes a new article. Other times I'll brainstorm - usually during the morning commute (my kids go to different schools in different cities in our metropolitan area so I have about 1.5 hours in the car each morning).

Merry Christmas to the both of you as well!
#129 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Okay I put up a new article in P&P; I am anxiously awaiting my email from the editor. I'm prepared so it won't feel like a knife being jabbed into my side. LOL Once I published it I went back and found a few errors and fixed 'em, hopefully I got them all!
#130 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the feeback I got for my review after my first 10 articles (warning - it's LONG):

Thank you for completing 10 professional articles for Suite101 and for indicating an interest in taking on a topic as an FW. You have a lovely voice for the topic, an affinity for creating quick tips, and a firm grasp of the details readers will want to have at their fingertips. Before we suggest you for a particular topic and invite a section Editor to review your performance for consideration as an FW, we'd like to offer some helpful tips that should improve your chances of impressing everyone going forward. We hope this offers valuable information you can apply to all your existing articles prior to making this leap.

>Keywords could be improved - in title, subtitle, summary, subheadings and/or keyword field

Please improve the specificity of your titles using more appropriate targeted keywords. As just the title is displayed on our site this needs to stand alone. Search engines have no sense of wordplay - you must write titles that are transparent, direct, and offer context. Choose keywords that reflect the phrase someone would enter into a search engine to find your article. Stick to active verbs, proper nouns, location names, powerful pairings and keyword phrases.

Your subtitles should not echo your title, but instead rephrase it and offer new information key to your article's focus. Try to avoid repeating words from the title in the subtitle as the term need only appear once to register with search engines and alternatives increase your likelihood of being found under multiple keywords.

In your keyword field go for proper nouns, names, and places that reflect specific search terms and use adjectival phrases to provide context. Commas without spaces should separate phrases. Avoid overly vague or broad words that have multiple meanings and that apply to thousands of sites. Use complementary, distinct and focused word pairs.

To demonstrate, I've changed the title, subtitle and unembedded links in your Cold Sore article:

From "Hope for Cold Sore Sufferers: Treatment and Prevention of Fever Blisters" to "Cold Sore Treatment and Prevention: Home and Over-the-Counter Remedies for Fever Blisters".

Few people would use "Hope" or "sufferers" as actual search terms if they were looking for cold sore treatment and prevention. So why not call a spade a space and call the article "Cold Sore Treatment and Prevention"? In this way you cram as many keywords/keyword phrases (three) into this prime real estate, freeing up some space for additional, powerful keywords in your subtitle, like: home remedies, over the counter and fever blisters.

Or, why call it "Homework Tips for the Reluctant" when "reluctant" is not a search term (in this context) and it would be better as "Homework Help for Kids" (whereby "Homework Help" is considered by Google to be a popular search phrase). Eliminate any of those pesky words that wouldn't show up in a search - and save the space for really effective and powerful phrases instead.

Equally, your "loose keywords" can and should also be more powerful. Instead of just "cold sores" as the only phrase, why not "cold sores home remedies" - it needs to be specific to work, and shouldn't be a phrase (eg "home remedies") that would spit out hundreds of incorrectly matched pages (ie, you're not looking for all home remedies, just about cold sore home remedies - so your search terms should be as focused as you are!).

Understanding keywords is the single most important lesson regarding writing for the Web and as the economy of the Internet and all search algorithms depend on your accuracy in this regard it is essential to being found and to earning revenue that you fully appreciate this concept. Please read our "101 Tips and Tricks" seminars on "Article Titles" and "Keywords" (found in the left-hand nav in mysuite) and adjust these elements of your articles past and present as you will see a significant spike in pageviews and revenues accordingly.

>Unattributed content, quotes, or images

Some of your quotes, facts, and images are missing the required source information, ie the full title of the original publication from which they were drawn and author's name as well as its published copyright date and publisher. If you don't have specific permission from the author, don't quote more than 50 words in all per article as this is the legal limit.

Please do not use Wikipedia or other open-source, direct-to-publish sites as primary sources given that they can contain information that has not been vetted by a trusted editorial review. Many articles on these sites are factually incorrect and the content itself has been co-written by many unnamed individuals so you/your readers never know whom, exactly, you're citing.

Your references should be organically integrated into the article - not listed below it unless they inform the whole article rather than one quote or fact in particular. (eg, "In a study/book by publisher name in publication year, Doctor X stated that..." Please also integrate website URLs into your copy by embedding the links using anchor text (highlight this and use the globe and chain icon to insert the url). There should be NO exposed URLs as you had in the Cold Sore and Online Computer Shopping articles. Have a look to see what I mean in the Cold Sore piece - I embedded the links in your resources.

If you wish to be a go-to resource on your subject then cite references that don't directly mirror your own articles, but rather complement them and write articles that are themselves as comprehensive as possible. Try to avoid "rehashing" encyclopedic entries and instead try to cover the subject by offering a new, unique, or interesting angle that combines reputable references with your own knowledge and experience.

>Linking could be improved - too many external links, too few internal links and/or no anchor text

Interlink your related articles on Suite if content is clearly complementary. Highlight the keyword (this should ideally be a good search term and a noun) you want to 'embed' and then click on the globe-chain icon of your text editor tool on the body window and a new window will open with a blank field. Place the URL of the article or site to which you are linking in that field and close the window. You should now see the text you highlighted underlined in blue and when you click on it, it opens to the article or site you've named. Don't simply copy the url into a sentence as these "exposed" addresses are bad form and not considered protocol on the Web.

Try to limit the number of links off Suite101 (external) to 2 unless these are sources/references that are mandatory to identify where your information comes from. Limit the number of links to articles on Suite101 to 5 per article given that too many links appears to "stuff' an article and this is punished by search engine spiders crawling the site who see these articles as lists or link farms. Remember that browsing readers want to be directed to relevant work, not to everything you've ever written, so show discretion and place the links in context so that they know what to expect if they do click on them.

>Article structure could be improved - weak lead para, disorganized flow, needs conclusion

Your articles occasionally back into their subject matter with "throat clearing" (anecdotes, descriptive scene-setting, chatty banter, small talk) as you work up to the main thesis introducing your material. Because readers on the Net don't have time for a wandering lead, you need to get to the point in the first sentence or two by answering the 5Ws - who, what, when, where, why. Think of your article as a pyramid with the most important information at the top; text decreases in value to the reader as he/she moves toward the end. Many readers scan and stop reading before you've concluded - will they get the gist if they leave part way through?

For example in your Plant Zone article: global warming is not the real focus of the article. The article is an interpretation of the Royal Arbor's new study. Therefore, the lead shouldn't focus on the global warming aspect, when the bulk of the article is actually primarily about something else. Remember, in articles like this, be sure to bring something unique to the information and not just regurgitate the study's findings. You're partway there with the global warming approach, but the lead and titles can be a bit misleading. I would have started that piece with your second para, not your first. Get right to the point, quickly. If your article is about a new study released, then say so.

Group like ideas by paragraph and add bold keyword-friendly subheadings whenever you are changing direction so that readers can target the specifics. Your final paragraph should offer additional resources rather than summarize and it should also contain links to other Suite articles on related content or external links or books etc. that might be useful.

Another aspect to consider for plant articles - remember that we have an international readership. It's helpful to spell out which plants work in which zones and to clarify for different readers. Something to consider for any future articles.

So, where to from here? I think you're well on your way to being a FW, but I see that many of your articles are already in the Family Finances section, which already has a FW. If you're keen on any other open topics, let me know - but I would suggest that if you find a topic you like, you ensure that you have at least 5-10 articles in that topic so we can re-evaluate you with that topic in mind.

In the meantime, I would suggest reviewing these suggestions and applying the changes to your previous articles. The changes will help bring your articles in line with our editorial guidelines and should also help you to improve your traffic and earning potential.

I hope you find these tips helpful and that you apply them to your past and future articles.

Sincerely,

Mikala Taylor
#131 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

OK - feel better about your flags now, My2A's? LOL I had to set this aside for a bit before I could jump into fixing things as I was a little affronted - lol. I will say, though, that I suspect that they just copy and paste some of their tips from their guidelines under each suggestion, so some of it doesn't apply, like I don't think I had any unattributed content. I'm not one to not use references. Other than that, most of it does apply.

The things that really hit home for me were the advice about keywording and improving my article structure. I did have a tendency to "back into" my articles, like she said. I hope I've overcome that, but I still catch myself doing it. For some reason, I feel like I have to explain myself first, then get into the article. Sometimes it helps me organize my thoughts, so I will do it to get started and then just delete that unnecessary first paragraph.

And, I do really like how she used specific examples from some of my articles. That really helped me to understand what she meant.
#132 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
So how do you guys come up with topic ideas? Do you brainstorm or do they just come to you?
I do it much like you do. Sometimes I brainstorm and sometimes I go with whatever I'm interested in or dealing with in my life at the time. On AC, I wrote of bunch of artitcles about pregnancy and one on toddler constipation (which we went through last spring when I wrote it).

Now, on Suite, I'm trying to write articles that fit in the parenting methods category, so I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for that.
#133 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 PM

Hey ladies!

As of Thursday afternoon I have been computer-less. My laptop is fried. Hopefully dh will patch a new PC together and get me up and running, but I don't know how long it will last as it will be a Heinz 57 computer that he pieces together. I am babysitting and posting from their place now.

TCB- that feedback is fabulous! That is exactly what I have been wanting. Very specific, detailed advice. I can't wait to get mine. Will post as soon I get it and have a working puter to post it from! Also, how do you apply for FW? I think I may like to apply in the future too. Congrats on the checkmark too! That's great news.

My ideas - sort of what we talked about earlier- they come from what I am most passionate about. I try to take a topic and pick a very specific aspect of it. I also have been trying to do several articles in the same topic. I have found that I jabber too much and my articles get too long if I don't keep them shorter. Instead I link multiple articles together. I am getting ready to do a series on car seat safety. I also plan on doing some specific genealogy pieces (something like, "The Watsons of Lancaster County, PA)

If I don't poke my head back in here soon- I wish you both a very special Christmas!
#134 of 1428 Old 12-22-2007, 11:44 PM

Oh and I did manage to post another entry to my blog before my puter crashed. Nothing exciting that you girls don't really already know though.
#135 of 1428 Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 AM

Ok, might be up and running for a bit

I was reading about the importance of the profile in the FAQ. I jazzed mine up quite a bit. Does it sound dorky?
#136 of 1428 Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 AM

How are you ladies doing?

I've got a few more up at Suite. Anxiously awaiting my review, but I assume with the holidays it will be awhile.
#137 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Hi mommas!

Busy here - I'm taking a developmental psychology course over the winter break - it's a full semester (3 credit hours) smooshed into less than three weeks. Yeah, I'm busy. LOL

Jenny - I will have to check out your most recent articles.

I put up another in the P&P topic and haven't heard back so I'm wondering if I did OK on it hehe. I spent a lot of time proofreading, rewording things, etc.

TCB - You still pregnant? hehe I know I hated that question near the end of my pregnancy but I know you mentioned that you usually have earlier babies.
#138 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm still pregnant - lol! I think I jinxed myself and this little guy will wait as long as possible before he decides to come out. I'm 37 weeks, so he's still got plenty of time to hang out in there.

I took the last couple of days off from writing completely. We were so busy and I was beat by bedtime. Today, I was just lazy - lol.

I really want to write a gentle discipline article. I think I'll work on that tomorrow after I go to Walmart to buy a new pair of cheap clogs that I can wear for the rest of my pregnancy. My dog chewed one of my clogs (i.e. my pregnancy shoes). My feet get big when I am pg and none of my shoes fit, except for these and my sneakers. And, I hate my sneakers right now. They are so hard to tie - lol. So, my clogs are my best friends! I hate the thought of having to buy a pair of shoes that I'm going to wear for a month, but it's either that or have to figure out how in the world I'm going to tie my sneakers every day!
#139 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 05:59 PM

I am glad to hear the report. I can commiserate with the feet issue. When I've been pg I've had to wear a size 12 MENS shoe because my feet were so fat. I also grew a shoe size from size 10 to size 11. Never returned to my dainty size 10 tootsies!

TCB- how long did it take to get your review? I realize with Christmas mine will be delayed further. Dec 20 was when my 10th article published. I am anxious to hear more from them. I started applying some of the tips from your review that you posted. That was very helpful!
#140 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

My 10th article was posted on August 3rd and my review is dated Sept. 27th, so it took awhile.
#141 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Bummer. I am anxious.

See the message about the new forums to come? Sounds promising!
#142 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Bummer. I am anxious.

See the message about the new forums to come? Sounds promising!

Oh I didn't see that, I'll have to go look for it.

TCB - Did you find your shoes?
#143 of 1428 Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 PM

Quick question - would either of you be willing to proofread an article I've just written. I've spent about 30 minutes reading it over and over and for some reason it just sounds off but I can't pinpoint it. If you can I'd be most thankful! Let me know and I can just PM it.

Thanks!
#144 of 1428 Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Sorry I wasn't around last night. Feel free to PM me today.

As an FYI - I am heading to visit family in PA this afternoon (it's a 400 mile trip). I don't expect to be on much the next week.

TCB - praying for a safe and empowering birth for you!
#145 of 1428 Old 12-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Yikes that's a drive. I hope that the traffic, weather, and kids all cooperate.
#146 of 1428 Old 12-28-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
Quick question - would either of you be willing to proofread an article I've just written. I've spent about 30 minutes reading it over and over and for some reason it just sounds off but I can't pinpoint it. If you can I'd be most thankful! Let me know and I can just PM it.

Thanks!
I'll proof it for you if you haven't already sent it to Jenny. I can't get to it until later tonight though. I haven't replaced my clogs yet - lol. We've been hibernating the past few days with a case of post-Christmas laziness. Maybe tomorrow I'll venture to Walmart.

Jenny - Have a safe trip! Maybe I'll have some baby news by the time you get back...

I really like Suite's new forum. Wow, did my page views ever take a nose dive though. My holiday articles did great and I had my best month ever. I need to be sure to get a few Valentines day articles up before the baby.
#147 of 1428 Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 PM

Jenny was able to get me the input I needed before she left - thanks again Jenny!! The article is published now.

I, too, am digging the new forums - so much more user friendly. The old forums were really restrictive. My PVs have also tanked. My International New Year's Customs story isn't receiving the hits that my Christmas one did. Right now my air freshener article is getting the most hits hehe.
#148 of 1428 Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 AM

Made it in fine.

I was taking a look at where my traffic has been coming and thought you two would appreciate the info. First article was published on 12/4. I've been digging articles when appropriate for about a week. I just started using stumbleupon two days ago. So keep that in mind. Will be interested to see where those rate next month

62% from internet searches (google, yahoo, etc)
31% internal link
2% from private blogs that linked to my articles
2% from onlywire
1% from Digg
1% from Stumbleupon
1% from email acct

I need to work on improving my keywording even more. I was reading somewhere that 95% of your hits should come from search engines who find you.

My highest performing article is my "Is baby getting enough breastmilk?" It was published on Dec 10 and has 170 hits so far. It makes up 25% of my total hits. It's one that got picked up at a blog and had about a dozen hits from it.

I am pleased that some of my articles are being dugg by other people too.

I think stumbleupon might yield some help, though Iknow they limit the number of articles you can put up at a given site.
#149 of 1428 Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 AM

2a's - your article reads much better now. Good work!
#150 of 1428 Old 12-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Thank you Jenny! I'm glad you made it OK.

I like your idea of looking at everything, looking at it from that point of view helps you get a better understanding of how your traffic is generated and how you can improve from there. You've inspired me to do the same thing!

I think one big way to drive traffic is to get your articles picked up by a big site or blog. The American Idol site I write for had one of my entries picked up by one of the hosts of a show on BET (the tv channel) and we had thousands of hits in a single day from that site. It was crazy; it is still the best performing entry on the AI site hehe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page