Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First artcile up 12/11
9 Total articles
851 PVs from 783 Visits

Best performing article:
International Christmas Traditions with 391 PVs

Next best performing article:
Alternatives to Air Fresheners with 91 PVs (this was just picked up by a greenliving site)

438 different keywords have been used to access my articles, of those 393 came from Google

553 hits from Google
26 hits from Yahoo
16 hits from AOL
27 hits from other search engines
622 PVs from search engines = 73%

161 PVs from internal links = 19%

15 PVs from an emailed link = 2%

The rest are just here and there - only 4 hits from Digg, 3 hits from an Autism Message Board, and 3 hits from an internal newsletter from some company that I can't figure out hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 1428 Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love the stats! I'll have to figure mine out tonight as we are leaving in 20 minutes to go to my mil's for dinner.

One drawback about the stats is that Suite only keeps track going back for 3 months, so any page views before that are no longer counted. I'll have to start logging my pv's like I do with AC just so I can keep some kind of a record of totals and can track my improvement.

I'll be back later...
#153 of 1428 Old 12-31-2007, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, this taxed my math skills, but I think I got it figured out - lol.

My first article went up on May 16th, but my stats only go back to Oct. 1st.

27 - total articles
9,353 page view's from 8,672 visits

Best article - Nov 10th
Christmas Decorating on a Budget - 1,527 views

Next best - July 17th
Cold Sore treatment and prevention - 976

6,078 hits from Google
262 hits from yahoo
210 hits from AOL
146 hits from MSN
331 hits from other searches
7,027 total search engine hits for 75%

2,291 hits from internal links for 24.5%

35 hits from e-mail, private blogs and bookmarking sites for 0.4%

Whew! I think that it is pretty neat to see how few hits come from bookmarking sites. I noticed that awhile ago, though I never figured out the percentages. I stopped bookmarking several months ago because I don't think it has much impact. But, most of my bookmarked articles were things from summertime, which I no longer have the stats for, so maybe there would be a few more hits if I could see those.

My2A's - I read all your newest articles! Great. I really like the natural air freshener article. I want to try a lamp ring now - lol.
#154 of 1428 Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
I need to work on improving my keywording even more. I was reading somewhere that 95% of your hits should come from search engines who find you.
That seems like something to strive for, though with a good amount coming from internal links, I'm not sure how that would be achievable. I would love to get my percentage up though.
#155 of 1428 Old 12-31-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks TCB! I used to put EO on my lightbulbs then realized that it could be a fire hazard so did some research on alternative methods. Then in a fit of insomnia one night I decided to write about it on Suite hehe.

Your stats are really motivating. I didn't know that they only keep stats back three months so I'll have to figure out a way to track manually. I wish they allowed you to download stats. O'well, just something else for me to figure out hehe.

Happy New Year to the both of you!!
#156 of 1428 Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 AM

I'm kind of excited about my newest article. I put it up this evening and just now googles a bunch of different search terms and I was on page 1 for all of them. I was even #1 for a few. I have been trying to think of topics that may have a higher CTR. This article will be out-dated after six weeks but if it ranks well next year it has the potential to have an even higher CTR with people looking for current info.
#157 of 1428 Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM

So glad you both shared the stats. Had no idea about the three month thing either. I can see why though, that info has got to require a lot of room for all the writers there.

2a's will check out your article.

My PV's are shooting back up. I assume because the holidays are over and I didn't write any holiday pieces?
#158 of 1428 Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Can I ask how much each of you write and promote and about how much you earn, maybe a ball park amount? You can PM me if you aren't comfortable sharing that. I am trying to decide if it is worthwhile to start writing for Suite101 for me. I make about $50 in page views a month right now, plus I still get decent upfront payments when I submit something new. I'm not sure if I would make enough at Suite 101 to make it worthwhile.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#159 of 1428 Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM

I've only been writing at Suite for three weeks, so I am not a good one to judge at this time. In a recent update from the editor, someone had received a $1000 payment for the month- so a decent profit is very possible. TCB might be able to give you better insight into profit results.

The thing is, Suite writing should be looked at as a long-term writing endeavor. The longer you write for them, the more you will see payout. Once you have a good base of articles established, you don't have to "work" nearly as much to be paid. Just ride the wave, so to speak. Initially though, you won't see big numbers rolling in. Further, if you are promoted to a Feature Writer position, you will earn at a faster rate.

AC is more profitable if you are looking for short-term money making.

Having written for both, I strongly prefer Suite. However, many of the reasons that I have a preference for them is not financially related. I think Suite is much more interested in improving the quality of writing their authors produce. The adminstration strives to support and educate their writers. I really don't see that with AC managers. I think Suite engages in better business practice. Because of that, I think Suite may have greater longevity.

Also, I have heard rumors that AC may eventually go out to PV payment only eventually. If that's the case, I want most of my eggs in the Suite basket.

I don't mean to sound negative against AC. It really depends on what the individual writer is looking for as to which company is better suited to their needs. For where I am at currently, that place is primarily Suite.

Oh and as far as promotion - I do onlywire, digg, and stumbleupon. I do no inner-networking at all. Much less time consuming than the inner-networking I was doing at AC. However, as TCB mentioned above, I don't know if promoting is all that necessary if you are writing searchable articles and keywording appropriately. I am not getting significant amount of hits from social bookmarking sites.
#160 of 1428 Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 AM

I just began the application process at suite101 and after almost completing it decided it wasn't right for me.

It put me off that they expect me to write two pieces for FREE in the application. Then I realized I don't want to write about the same subject every single time, and I'd only want to be a Features Writer (is that the title?) so I'd have to. Not my style to stay with only one subject.

For what it's worth, I've got a friend who makes a few hundred dollars a month with suite101 (hence my interest).

--Heather
#161 of 1428 Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
Can I ask how much each of you write and promote and about how much you earn, maybe a ball park amount? You can PM me if you aren't comfortable sharing that. I am trying to decide if it is worthwhile to start writing for Suite101 for me. I make about $50 in page views a month right now, plus I still get decent upfront payments when I submit something new. I'm not sure if I would make enough at Suite 101 to make it worthwhile.
Heather - I have made $20 at Suite this month. It's my best month yet, but I don't think I will repeat it next month. My Christmas articles did very well. This will be the third month in a row that I will be paid however. You need to make a minimum of $10 from click throughs to be paid. So, I'm happy that I've hit that minimum three months in a row now (four times all together). If you don't make the minumum, it gets held over until you do.

Anyway, I have 27 articles up on Suite now. And, I'm working on becoming a feature writer, so when I get that promotion and get more articles up, I'm confident that I can build up to making a decent amount each month.

I also agree with everything Eviesmom said.

My writing has become so much tighter since I started writing for Suite. I know that it has improved my AC articles as well, resulting in more page views. I don't do anything to promote right now. There is no internal promotion strategy at Suite (i.e. at AC you read/comment on my article and I'll read/comment on yours). They don't push promoting the way AC does, but they do push strong SEO and they teach you specifically how to do it. They also strongly encourage lots of internal links within the body of each article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneBabe View Post
I just began the application process at suite101 and after almost completing it decided it wasn't right for me.

It put me off that they expect me to write two pieces for FREE in the application. Then I realized I don't want to write about the same subject every single time, and I'd only want to be a Features Writer (is that the title?) so I'd have to. Not my style to stay with only one subject.

For what it's worth, I've got a friend who makes a few hundred dollars a month with suite101 (hence my interest).

--Heather
Unless this has changed since I applied last spring, you can use articles that you have already written for someone else. I wrote my two sample articles, specifically followed Suite's guidelines, but sold them and published them on AC.

It is my understanding that you don't have to write in the same subject all the time as a feature writer. You definitely don't as a regular writer. My writing is all over the place. I've got two computer/tech articles, several parenting, some frugal living and some holiday articles. As a feature writer, you have to make sure you meet your obligation to your feature (which is one article a week plus a blog entry, I think), but beyond that, you can venture into other categories.

I'm encouraged to read that your friend does so well at Suite! Thanks for sharing that with us.
#162 of 1428 Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 AM

When I applied mid November, it seemed to be specific that they wanted two unpublished submissions. I then used those two pieces as my first published submissions at Suite.

Ditto TCB about writing all over the place. As a contributing writer, you can write whatever you want (provided it meets their guidelines - 3rd person only etc). As a feature writer you must do 1 article 1 blog a week and can write anywhere else you wish, but you must meet that baseline.
#163 of 1428 Old 01-02-2008, 01:38 AM

Oh and I have some new pieces up.
#164 of 1428 Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 AM

Once you're accepted, when you submit things, do they go live right away, or must they be reviewed first? Can I submit articles that were previously published at AC non-exclusively?

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#165 of 1428 Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Your first article gets reviewed, but after that, things go live right away. You can also edit already published articles. I don't think you can submit articles that are already published on AC, since Suite wants exclusive rights for the first year. After the first year, you could then sell your articles to AC. I plan on putting mine up at constant content after the first year.
#166 of 1428 Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi mommas,

I've been MIA - kidney stones - yikes!

I just put up two articles and am hoping to have a few more on the same general topic in the next few days. I'm working on writing groups of stories that can interlink etc. I love that feature about Suite - editing to add links, etc. These are all Arizona-specific. There is a FW for Arizona but she hasn't posted an article since September so that might be a future opening for me.

I'm annoyed with the google ads that are assigned to my super bowl topic - they are all freelance writing ads. I was hoping for super bowl ads. Hopefully that fixes itself!

TCB - I love your Unconditional Parenting article from today - fantastic! How goes the progress towards FW?

Jenny - I *love* Cariboo! Your V-day gifts for girls article is great! Are you going to do anymore V-day themed articles? I've got one up - kept with my international customs theme. Hoping to do the International theme throughout the year. I'd like to get a couple of more V-day articles up as well.

For those asking about Suite - I'm still new but I'm getting about $5/1000 PVs right now (they have it so you can figure out your $/PVs average). I've only been writing a month though so it's not an immediate big payout situation - like the girl's said more for long-term growth.

Were we going to start a Suite 101 for January post or just keep this one?
#167 of 1428 Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no - kidney stones! I hope you are feeling better. Maybe you could get a few articles out of your experience - lol.

Jenny - I also liked your Cariboo article. We've got Cranium Cadoo for older kids and love it. It's a great game. I should get Cariboo for the little guy. I'm sure he'd like it. I'm glad to see you finally doing holiday articles too. I've got to get on the ball and do some V-day articles.

As far as my feature writer app goes, Mikala told me to contact her and Irene once I had 3-5 more articles up in the parenting methods section. I've added two more since then and have ideas for a couple more. Christmas slowed me down, so now I'm hoping to get busy again.

I'd like to keep this thread if you both don't mind. I think we have a lot of good info in it for others to read if they are considering Suite.
#168 of 1428 Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Keeping this thread sounds good - I agree that there is a lot of great information here and I'd hate to lose it.

I think Christmas slowed a lot of people down. I'm excited to hear how your FW app goes once you get a couple of more articles written.

I just did a brainstorming session and have about 10 topic ideas. Several are interconnected. Now it's just a matter of finding time to write.
#169 of 1428 Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 PM

I put up 6 new articles today.

Three were written already and just needed tweaking.

Three I wrote fresh.

My mind just kept churning. I still need to write four more to link from my top spas article; I wrote the first one to remind me what I have in mind for the rest. I hope to have the other four done tomorrow.
#170 of 1428 Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 PM

Yep, I plan on doing more Vday articles. I just wasn't inspired to right Christmas articles. I really have personal issues with the commercialization of Christmas, I think that is why I just couldn't get inspired.

I have applied to be a FW in Kids Products. Mikala wants me to write one more article and then she said we will hash the possibility out with Irene. Wish me luck!

TCB - Your Unconditional Parenting piece was very enlighting. I've read Kohn in detail. I can't say I agree with all his philosophy, but I do think that parents should monitor how excessively they rely on punishment/reward. And I know you are probably tired of answering "how are you feeling?", so I will ask "How is the weather?"

2A's- 6 articles! Holy cow, woman! Busy lady. I've dealt with stones many times, no fun! Hope you feel better soon.
#171 of 1428 Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm still pregnant - LOL.

Jenny - The weather is cold! And, I'm fine too. My pg body is keeping me nice and toasty warm while my dh is freezing! You will probably be a feature writer before me! I've got 3 parenting methods articles up since my e-mail from them. I want to have two more before I e-mail them back. They wanted me to hit a few more of the topics in that section, so I'm going to try a peaceful parenting and a Christian parenting article. I don't follow Kohn, though I have read a lot as well. I do think he brings up some great things to think about, but I grew up in a house with no rewards and praise and I don't believe it is a good thing to avoid. I do think that some parents go overboard with it and he definitely made me reflect on that. Still, I figure that I don't have to be a follower to write an article about the method. I really want to write about all kinds of parenting methods - I will avoid the topics that I strongly disagree with, like cio, but I'm open to most other topics.

2A's - You have been busy! I need some of that energy - lol.
#172 of 1428 Old 01-04-2008, 06:02 PM

I got my ten article feedback:

Quote:
Dear Jennifer White,

Thank you for completing 10 professional articles for Suite101 and for indicating an interest in taking on the Kids' Product as an FW. You have a lovely voice for the topic, an affinity for creating quick tips, and a firm grasp of the details readers will want to have at their fingertips. I'm pleased to see that after a few flags from section editor Irene Taylor, you have well-presented, well-sourced and well-written articles - including several that cover the topic you are applying for.

Before we invite Irene to review your performance for consideration as an FW, we'd like to offer some helpful tips that should improve your chances of impressing everyone going forward. We hope this offers valuable information you can apply to all your existing articles prior to making this leap. Your articles are in fine shape but here are a few tips:

-Avoid keyword stuffing. For example, in your Here Come the ABCs (nice to see a review of one of my favourite indie bands! ;-) and Clampdown Bite Reflex, both your copy and bolded subheadings contain quite a few repetitive keyword phrases. This can be perceived by search engines as "stuffing" if the use of the phrase seems unnatural and repetitive, and will actually count against you sometimes in searches, so be sure to try out alternative keyword phrases (eg, "nursing mothers" or "Indie Rock and Psychedelic songs") that apply to the article, especially in your bolded headlines.-Avoid repetition in copy as well eg, "Assure Dad...", "Tell Dad," "If Dad..." "Perhaps Dad..." - these are unnecessary.

-Avoid too many bullet pointed list-style articles. We like to see a nice, meaty article with bullets for lists, but not for "facts". Try to spin your information into a solid article that reflects the information but doesn't make us feel like we're reading a list of the company's PR-based selling points.

-Check Google Adwords' Keyword Tool to see how your keyword phrase for your title (and indeed your top five keyword phrases/search terms that you've chosen for the article) are faring with searchers and advertisers: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

So, where to from here? I think your work is in great shape and while you can always refine your keyword choices so as to improve your traffic and earning potential, I'm going to recommend you to Irene for the position of Kids' Products. Irene will now review your work and send me her feedback and I'll be in touch. It may be that she has a specific idea of what areas Kids' Products should cover, and she can discuss this with you if she's happy to promote. I see you have contacted her, so we will be in touch.

Best of luck, and have a happy new year.
Cheers,
Mikala Taylor
So I am pleased with that. I didn't realize the fine balance with keywording. I also misunderstood the bulleting= I had read that they wanted that somewhere and over-applied it. I was getting bored with that, so sort of glad I can back off, lol.
#173 of 1428 Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Jenny - That is helpful! I think I've been leaning towards keyword stuffing lately too. It is a delicate balance, isn't it? LOL at the sentence in the first paragraph that begins "You have a lovely voice for the topic..." I had the same exact sentence in mine! Who wants to bet that Melissa gets that too?

They were much quicker with your review than they were with mine.
#174 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 AM

Just caught up on both of your recent articles. Great job ladies!

2as- i enjoyed your website article. I am going to check out a few of those.

TCB- Great job on AP. It frustrates me how many people have the wrong idea about AP or think that it is somehow unhealthy. Not to mention the people who "claim" they practice AP but honestly don't have a clear understanding of what it is. Anyway... continuing to send positive thoughts your way.

As far as my review- I wonder if my query to Mikala regarding the possibility of being a FW hurried that along? I caught the "lovely voice" as well. I guess after writing so many of the reviews she has a few canned phrases she pulls out, huh?
#175 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 AM

Hi ladies!

Keyword stuffing - I think I tend towards that as well. I've got my ten articles in so I'm waiting on feedback as well. I definitely want to improve my writing, SEO, etc so I'm looking forward to it. Too funny about the "lovely voice" hehe

TCB - Gotta love having built in insulation this time of year hehe.

I haven't hit my google reader in a few days but plan on sitting down to read the most recent articles that you both have written.

Jenny - Great feedback, it sounds like you are well on your way to FW! That is fantastic.
#176 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 AM

Jenny - You can definitely see your growth in your latest articles. I loved the V-day one. I think the drama queen ideas pretty much summed up my daughter - she'd be in heaven if she woke up to glittery red slippers, a fancy red boa, and a cape. My girl *loves* to dress up!

TCB - The AP article was fantastic. I like that you talk about AP and then discuss the reasons why some of the ideals are controversial in the mainstream parenting circles. I also like the way the article is written - it gives you a lot of jumping off points for more articles. An entire article can be written on each topic. I was reading about content webs yesterday and evidently they really help overall CTRs.

I read both of your profiles and they are really well written. Jenny, I don't recall if I commented on it after you rewrote it but you did a fantastic job with the rewrite, I don't remember what the original said. I went ahead and redid mine in the 3rd person as opposed to the 1st person. I wrote it last night (in a fit of insomnia) but I think it sounds OK. I got a bit wordy though so I might trim it back some hehe.

I wanted to thank both of you for your support with my endeavors at Suite. I was a bit disheartened at first when things would get flagged and took it personal, through both of your input I realized that it was done for *my* benefit and I feel renewed about my writing for the site. I have about 25 topics in my writing queue; it seems that my kidney stones episode freed up some space in my mind and my brainstorming session went really well.

I have a quick question - how do you know which sections can have FWs? In the Travel section there is an editor and then a FW for the SW US/Hawaii section but nothing in the Arizona section. Is that too small of a topic for a FW? I checked several of the larger states (CA, NY, FL, TX) and didn't see FWs anywhere there so I'm thinking that the topic is too specific for a FW. I also tried to search through the forums and the FAQs to no avail.
#177 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM

http://www.suite101.com/available_topics.cfm Mikala sent me this when I asked and noted that there are new categories. If you click on the topics on the right, the subcategories appear at that right. If there is a star beside them, it's taken. It looks like SW US Travel is already filled. FW do not go deeper into the subcategories than that, unfortuntately.

Did you see that the Autism/Asperger's category is not yet filled under Health and Wellness? That may interest you.

Oh and thanks for the compliments. I feel like I am finally "getting" web-writing. I have to convey my sincere appreciations as well. You two ladies have really done wonders for my self-esteem. I've always enjoyed writing, but never really thought that I had any particular talent for it. I had a few friends who encouraged me and always had nice things to say about my writing and that's why I started writing for the web. You ladies have helped me so much with specifics of web writing and mutual support. I am a better writer partly from your influence.
#178 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 AM

2as read your bio. It sounds good! I was the same way, worried that it might be too much, but if you read the handbook they want to know what makes you "an authority" so you do have to share.

My only suggestion would be to start a new para with the sentence "In addition to the town newspaper,". Your opening para is visually long. May look cleaner to chop it up.
#179 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks Jenny, it is definitely visually long - the point you suggested is perfect for a new paragraph! Thanks also for the link you posted, I'd never seen that before. I'm glad that you're feeling more confident in your writing, it really shows.

My NFL Experience and Toddler Websites article are doing great with regards to google placement and hits, I just hope it parlays into clicks! hehe The toddler websites hasn't been populated with specific ads yet and the NFL Experience one just had the ads on there Thursday evening I think. Having more articles helps with traffic as well, I've got close to a 200% increase over the previous 7 days.
#180 of 1428 Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Yay I just got my first checkmarked article! Evidently IT liked my Top Toddler Websites; I'm proud of that one because my google page ranks are fantastic for the topic.

Yay, recognition. It makes me feel better about my decision to stick with Suite as opposed to AC.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page