Suite 101 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations!

I'll catch up on my reading tonight after the boys are in bed. I think I need to beef up my profile too. I actually had a more detailed one but a few months ago I got a creepy e-mail from someone who said they read my Suite profile. But, I think I can add to it without giving any personal info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

I finished another article. I re-read my email from Irene and I only needed to do 2-3 more articles in parenting methods. I don't know why I thought it was 3-5. I've got 4 done now, so I'm going to e-mail her and Mikala early this week. I saved my new article as a draft and will post it in the morning after I've had the chance to proof it one more time. I'm so tired, I'm not seeing straight anymore.

Both of your profiles sound great! I do need to add more to mine.

I also wanted to add that I have learned so much from both of you! I know that my writing changed for the better considerably once we all started working together. So, a very sincere thank you to you both!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM

I'll read your new article when the kiddos go down for quiet time TCB. I think that the three of us have really learned a lot from each other in these past few weeks, it is great!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM

TCB - I just read your peaceful parenting article - *cheers*!! Very well written, love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote at the beginning as well.

Jenny - Thanks for pointing out that autism/asperger's under health & wellness is FW-free. I emailed the H&W editor to introduce myself. I'm not officially applying for a fw position yet but I wanted to express my interest to her and let her know that I'd be writing several articles for the section, etc. Once I get ten articles in the section I'll contact Mikala to express my interest there as well.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Just a quick note from me- we just got back from out 400 mile trip. *heavy sigh*

2as - you don't need to wait until 10 articles in the section. I think 5 is the minimum required before officially applying. Great idea on introing yourself. I am sure you will be perfect in that section.

I have been officially offered the Kids Products section. I'll keep you both updated on timeline and hoops I have to jump through, I assume the info would be helpful.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this. I know it's not like it's a huge deal, but it really is rewarding for me. I never thought my writing was that great and the acknowledgement is a huge boost to my self esteem.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Congrats Jenny!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Jenny! That is fantastic! I hope I'm right behind you. I just had an e-mail from Irene asking if I was still interested. She said she needed to talk with Mikala about it, so my fingers are crossed.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks ladies.

I am sure if Irene was inquiring, then you will get the position, TCB. It will be nice to start this together.

We will have to write the topic intro page- perhaps we can all help each other out with that.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Oh that's promising TCB - I'm sure you're right behind Jenny with a FW promotion! I'm very excited for both of you.

The Health & Welness editor told me I needed 10 articles in the topic; maybe the number differs based on the editor. I just put up #4 in the section and have several more partially written. Today was the kids' first day back at school and I have a fever so I slept the day away. LOL

I'm going to live vicariously through the two of you. So as a FW you also get ad click revenue from the topic page, the blogs, and discussion boards - right?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 AM

Quick question - I can't find information on becoming a FW. Do you just email Mikala? I checked the box in my profile that stated I was interested in becoming one.

I just published my 5th article in the health and wellness autism category. I figured I'd get the process started now, I should have the other five up by Friday if all goes as planned.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Jenny I see your FW page up!! *cheers*

Can you link to some of your stories from the keywords used on the main kids products page there?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Me again.

I emailed Mikala and she said that Barbara had already talked to her about me - yay. She did tell me she's got a backlog of CW-FW reviews but suggested I do several things while she frees up time to get to me. One of the things that stuck out was this:

make sure you have a critical mass of your articles posted to the topic requested

Eep! I've written all over, I think I have the most in Arizona Living. I've got probably 5-6 more articles partially written for the autism/asperger's category - looks like I better get 'em in gear.

She also suggested I go over all my current articles and make sure they are up to snuff so when she gets to them they'll be in great shape. If they aren't then I'll just have to improve before being reconsidered - sounds good to me!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Sounds promising!

My computer has been down, so I haven't checked out my page yet, lol. I did see that they have something up for me, but I do believe I can edit it to suit my interests.

Will let you know.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 PM

Ok- I re-wrote the intro. Man that was hard! Limited to 825 CHARACTERS (not words).

The previous FW for kids' products wrote what I pasted below. Can you both do a read through and let me know what you think of what I wrote?

Whether you are looking for a birthday present idea for your child or baby gear for your grandchildren, you've come to the right place. This site includes buying advice, gift suggestions, and reviews of new kids products for all ages from newborns to teenagers. Here you'll learn about toys, games, software, video games, books, furniture, music, and safety products.
We evaluate kid's products in terms of play value, durability, affordability, and feedback from kids. Not only will you find details on popular brands such as Lego, Hasbro, Graco, XBox, and Cranium, but also on less well-known ones.
Want to learn more about a specific kids product or have another question? Post a message to the discussion list or email me. Keep an eye on the list of articles and blog posts for new information about kid's products.

Mikala told me to review the FW section of the FAQ and did some cheerleading, but that was about it. From this point on, Irene is to be my primary contact.

TCB - you haven't posted for a few days... Hmmmmmm.....

2as' feeling any better?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Feeling better, getting energy back finally - thanks for asking! I was wondering the same thing about TCB!

I love the way you added in natural toys, waldorf toys, and educational items into your introduction - woohooo! The mainstream things are all fine and dandy but it's nice to introduce some folks to the funky and alternative toys that are out there.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still here! The baby is still waiting. I've just been busy this week. My oldest ds has wanted to have some friends from school over for the last month or two and because of the holidays we haven't. So, I've been trying to get them all in this week before the baby is born. Plus, I've been trying to stay on top of all the cleaning and laundry. When I go into labor, I will feel better knowing the house is clean and, with any luck, it will still be ok when I come home from the hospital - lol!

I haven't heard from Mikala yet about the feature writer position. And, I feel a little funny about it. Irene e-mailed me, so I e-mailed her back telling her I was still interested. Now, I'm thinking that I should have e-mailed Mikala at the same time. I think I may send her an e-mail today. She probably just hasn't had time to review it yet, but I don't want to be slack and miss out on it either.

I will check out your FW page, Jenny! I can't wait to see it. Have you noticed any difference in revenues? Or is it too early?

I'm in a writing slump now too. All I have on my mind is the baby, labor and delivery. I should force myself to write and stop thinking about it all! Please send me labor vibes - lol!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 AM

Too soon to tell on the profits. I only had 3 home page views so far, lol. Will keep you posted.

TCB - I wouldn't sweat not emailing Mikala. I've been getting the impression that the editors are quite busy.

2as - thanks, I was glad I got that part in as well.

My first blog is up. Whoo. I have GOT to work on brevity! It's limited to 300 words.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 AM

TCB - I agree, in the email Mikala sent me she stated that she was busy doing a lot of CW to FW conversions this week. My bet is that you're on that list as well.

Jenny - 300 words is tight for sure. In all the writing I've done for my friend he's wanted the pieces to be right around 300 words but I could go over a little bit. I wonder if there is something magical about 300 as far as SEO and readability goes. Great first blog entry - I am the same way with car seats. It's worth the extra $$ if you can swing it, IMO.

I went through, as Mikala suggested, and re-proofread all of my articles. I found a couple of things I wanted to change, added a few commas (), chopped up a few paragraphs, and changed some of my original photos. I didn't have the whole find a good copyright-free photo thing down.

Speaking of photos - I know that there is a huge list linked from Suite but I found it cumbersome. I'm not sure if this site is on the list but I have had the best luck with picfindr.com - it's like a service that searches 8-10 different free image sites. They do have a sponsored image section in there that requires a fee so you just have to make sure you're clicking the right area.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
*nervous nail-biting*

I just submitted my application to be a freelance writer. Man, 400 words ain't long! I've always had a hard time sticking to word limits, but I pruned viciously and succeeded. My sample articles were about henna and 'things not to discuss while pregnant'.

How long does it take to find out whether or not you've been accepted? If you're rejected, can you write new sample articles and resubmit?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
*nervous nail-biting*

I just submitted my application to be a freelance writer. Man, 400 words ain't long! I've always had a hard time sticking to word limits, but I pruned viciously and succeeded. My sample articles were about henna and 'things not to discuss while pregnant'.

How long does it take to find out whether or not you've been accepted? If you're rejected, can you write new sample articles and resubmit?
Well I flubbed on my application and put it in draft mode. After a week I emailed Suite to ask how long it might take and they informed me of my *oops*. I was so embarassed and figured that it didn't make me look very professional. After I fixed the draft mode issue I heard back within 48 hours if I recall.

Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 AM

Ooh, exciting. Now I'm nervous. I'm better with breezy, first-person, slightly bloggy-type writing, which of course Suite 101 doesn't allow, but... well, we'll see.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Yay! Another writer!

Welcome Smokering! Once you are accepted, send me your link.

I can't recall about the original application, but when you are publishing articles can be over 600 words, but Suite prefers 400-600. I am quickly learning the power of brevity.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Wow. I just bopped over to the AC forums for the first time in ages and was looking at the "Other Writing Gigs" forum. I had no idea so many people have been rejected by Suite. Lots of bitter people there.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM

I need to check that out Jenny.

Smokering - I have had a bit of an adjustment period switching to 3rd person but now have it down reasonably well I think. Ditto Jenny, send me the link to your profile page once you're approved so I can bookmark it and add it to my blog.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Jenny - I was thinking of writing an article for your section. We have several Haba toys that the kids love plus we have a new one from Christmas. What do you think about a "Favorite Haba Toys" topic?

I received an email yesterday from someone wanting to buy an article of mine. The thing is they didn't say what article it was. Of course it isn't available for republishing since I'm in the initial year but I thought it was interesting to get the request. Have you gals had similar requests? I'm curious how common it is.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Smokering - Welcome! I'm excited to have another writer join our little group!

I've read that Suite thread at AC as well. It amazes me how angry some of them are about it. I like what you added to the thread, Jenny.

2As - That's cool that you had an offer, even though you can't sell right now! Maybe you could find out what they were interested in and write somthing similar for them?

Jenny - I like your topic intro at Suite. Now, I need to read your blog entry!

Thanks for the advice. I'm just impatient to hear about the fw position.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM

Oh good idea TCB! The magazine that the gal runs has a distribution of about 240,000/mo in the Long Island area of NY. I responded that I was still under an exclusivity contract with Suite101 then inquired which articles she was interested in. I also suggested that perhaps I could write another article specifically for her that would meet her needs. Based on the mag description on their website I'm thinking it was one of my articles about Tucson spas.

What kind of price would you charge for a 400-500 word article?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Yes! I got accepted! Okay, I'm ridiculously thrilled about that... I've never had anything published since I was about seven, so any tiny scrap of validation is bound to go to my head.

Okay, so. It's OK for me to use my sample articles, which I sent in with my application, as 'real' articles--I just republish them? I might un-condense my henna article a little, actually. The sample ones had to be under 400 words, whereas my contract said they had to be *over* 400 words (400-600 sounds good), and there was some info I really wanted to include but couldn't.

Okay, now I'm off to make a list of things I can write articles about. How do you guys get inspiration? I mean, it took me half an hour to remember that I know quite a bit about henna. Unless you have a career or ex-career which makes it blindingly obvious you should write about certain topics, how do you do it? Have you ever researched a topic you knew nothing about, in order to write an article on it, or do you always work with subjects with which you have some expertise?

Oh yeah, and dumb newbie question: Which link do I send you? Is it my 'My Profile' link, or...?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Congrats! Don't forget to PM me the link to your profile page.

I was a bit slow to start - I did several brainstorming sessions. I usually write about things I know about - even if I have to do more research. Kids, the area I live, holiday-specific themes, etc.

If you want I can PM you the link to my profile so you can see the range of topics I have written under.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! Congratulations! Please PM me your link as well!

My inspiration comes from all over the place - lol. I like to write in my comfort zone, which tends to be parenting articles. I do research, but I don't usually do too much. Every now and again, I'll get a bug about some specific topic and put a lot of effort researching it and writing it. I find that I get a lot of satisfaction out of that, but I would also get burned out if that was how I wrote most of the time. So, I write about things I'm already familiar with and supplement them with some research. Even if my research consists of finding "sources" for things I already know - lol.

I'm glad to see that my page views have finally started to recover after Christmas! They took a nose dive that lasted about 2 weeks. They've been on the upswing again the past few days. Whew! It's great that my Christmas articles did so well, but it was disheartening to see everything else floundering for a bit.

User Tag List