anyone getting paid to blog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where? any details or tips? is it possible? do tell!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 47 Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 PM

I had a blog with 451Press for a while, and it seems they'll hire anyone, judging by my replacement, but it wound up not being worth it. They pay 40% of the ad revenue generated by the blog, and you can have affiliate links and that pays a little more, but I never got more than $11 per month. Unless you're blogging with a well-known site like Elizabeth Soutter Schwartzer (www.damomma.com, author of Motherhood is not for Wimps) does with Parenting.com, you won't get enough readership to pay even a small bill, let alone all of them (and to be honest I don't even know how much Elizabeth gets paid to write at the Parenting Post, just that she surely has a larger readership than a random 451Press blog would). I have a friend who writes for 2 blogs, one at 451Press and one at About.com, and in total she makes anywhere from $20-40 per month. Again, one small bill, but not all of them.
#3 of 47 Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 PM

I work for Blogsvertise which is a company that pays bloggers to post about our advertiser's products or services. You're not going to make a living by any stretch of the imagination -- but you may be able to earn money toward holiday gifts, special treats for yourself or your kids, etc. Most of our opportunities pay between $7.50-10 per post, and you don't aren't obligated to write positive things about the advertiser. We want honesty!

We are really in dire need of bloggers right now -- travel blogs, but others as well -- and so we're happy to have you sign up and give it a try.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#4 of 47 Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

thanks I am going to look around some more! I definitely don't expect to make a fortune but every little bit helps this single mama! (and I like to blog!)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 47 Old 09-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Oh and payperpost.com is alright, too. You get paid (usually around $10 per post) to blog about a web-based product or service. They have word minimums (50-300 is the usual range) and you get paid at the end of the month into your paypal account. They give priority to blogs that have high google page rankings, so you might not be eligible for many posts, but there are ways of boosting your rank, I just haven't had the urge to do it yet.
#6 of 47 Old 09-29-2007, 06:40 PM

I ghostblog at $5 per post, through clients I've found myself. Its one of the more popular services I offer.

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#7 of 47 Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Never thought of this :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 47 Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
I work for Blogsvertise which is a company that pays bloggers to post about our advertiser's products or services. You're not going to make a living by any stretch of the imagination -- but you may be able to earn money toward holiday gifts, special treats for yourself or your kids, etc. Most of our opportunities pay between $7.50-10 per post, and you don't aren't obligated to write positive things about the advertiser. We want honesty!

We are really in dire need of bloggers right now -- travel blogs, but others as well -- and so we're happy to have you sign up and give it a try.
This looks so cool! I just signed up
#9 of 47 Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Just getting back into writing personal essays and it's definitely my intention to do the web thing ("blog" -- when will I accept that word??!?!) and ALSO publish the column in print. Not sure where I'll sell it, but I'm working on it.

--Heather
#10 of 47 Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Never thought of this, either!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#11 of 47 Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I do payperpost too and have made about $60 and I have done sponsoredreviews(made about $30) and reviewme($20) and then I have made a few with adsense and things like that. I am really just starting to make money but just a little over $200 since I started so I have alot of learning to do.
#12 of 47 Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvsquared View Post
I ghostblog at $5 per post, through clients I've found myself. Its one of the more popular services I offer.
Wow, that sounds really interesting...would you mind sharing how you started this or how you find clients?

Ally
#13 of 47 Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post

What kinds of companies do they have you write about? I mean, would they be relavent to your blog or just random?
#14 of 47 Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola_mom View Post
What kinds of companies do they have you write about? I mean, would they be relavent to your blog or just random?
The advertisers generally pick bloggers who have signed up for categories that relate to their products or services, and you can always reject tasks that you're assigned if you don't like the advertiser or don't think it's a good fit for your blog. There's no penalty for rejecting tasks, as long as you actively reject them instead of just not answering when they're assigned.

Some of our biggest advertisers are travel companies (pretty easy to fit in with any blog), insurance companies, web-related products like search engines, product reviews (recently we had a baby carrier review site come up), etc. A lot of them are a good fit for blogs about family/parenting.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#15 of 47 Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 AM

Hmmmm travel companies...I love to write about travel...and I live in a city full of tourists. LOL

I have a blog which features stuff about food and film, aptly titled Film & Food I just haven't figured out how to make any money from it...

I'm thinking of taking some of the articles and submitting them to Associated Content and other places...
#16 of 47 Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Yes. I did at one place for over a year and am now about to start a second one at a new blog.

Look at Weblogs Inc. It is AOL-owned, I worked for them. They have a variety of blogs-- it definitely helps if you have a blog but I did know a few bloggers who did not have one.

Pay Per Post is kind of controversial. Many bloggers, including myself, stay away from this one. Personally, I feel as if it undervalues bloggers for their time and is a pretty cheap way to get good Google rankings for the advertiser without paying what they should.
#17 of 47 Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 AM

Can we revisit this topic?

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#18 of 47 Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 PM

I blog for a friend who I originally met through my car club. It is an American Idol fansite and while I only get $3/post it is really quick and easy - I can be sarcastic, witty, etc. I watch American Idol as it is so it makes it even easier for me. We took some time off because google totally hosed our ranking (we went from top 10 on several big searches to not even in the top 100!). That's rectified so we're starting to ramp back up for the new season.
#19 of 47 Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM

Who all is doing Payperpost?

#20 of 47 Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Not getting paid to blog, but I'm starting to get serious about the idea of pitching myself as a column/opinion/essay writer. I've got some good feedback on my latest piece (http://www.serenebabe.net/ "Christian with a lowercase c.") and feel like maybe I ought to get serious.

Are any of you out there considering becoming a "real" columnist? Or is blogging where it's at for you?

--Heather
#21 of 47 Old 12-24-2007, 02:32 AM

How would you get started?

#22 of 47 Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM

wow, there's some great info in here. thanks for sharing! =)

Also, if you're looking to up your google ratings and generally bring in more traffic to your blogs, joining a webring or three is a good start. http://www.ringsurf.com has a variety, some of which bring in a lot of hits. (others almost none. Pay attention to how many sites are already members when choosing rings to join)

Erika, do you mean how do you get started as a paid blogger or as a "real" columnist? I think what people consider "real" is kind of in the eye of the beholder.
#23 of 47 Old 01-02-2008, 11:14 PM

theres yuwie and its more of if you get views -plus referrals your earning will go up so -can i post my yuwie referall link or would ya just pm if ya want it -extra mula is always good especially with ex lacking work-low cs
#24 of 47 Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 AM

must pm it, but i have that and zubby.com

#25 of 47 Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 AM

I'd love to have a regular column, but I have no idea how to start with it.

In the meantime, I use my English degree online only!

VivC

Mom to Dominici (5 years old)

http://mommywriting.com

#26 of 47 Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 AM

Doing what?

#27 of 47 Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 AM

I signed up for payperpost, but how long does it take them to approve your blog. mine meets the requirements, and I see opportunities I'd be eligible for, but when will I be approved?

Off now to check out the other sites recommended here...
#28 of 47 Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 AM

Sorry, Erika...I just mean I do my regular old free blog. That's the only use I've ever FOUND for an English degree!

VivC

Mom to Dominici (5 years old)

http://mommywriting.com

#29 of 47 Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
I signed up for payperpost, but how long does it take them to approve your blog. mine meets the requirements, and I see opportunities I'd be eligible for, but when will I be approved?

Off now to check out the other sites recommended here...
If your blog has a good google page ranking you might not want to do payperpost. I think it was mid-November when Google went and reset a lot of PPP blogs to a 0 page rank. For those with nice page ranks this really affected the amount of traffic they brought in. Here's a blog entry on the topic: http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/29...pagerank-nuke/
#30 of 47 Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivC View Post
Sorry, Erika...I just mean I do my regular old free blog. That's the only use I've ever FOUND for an English degree!
That's funny. I still haven't found a use for mine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page