Writing at Associated Content **November Edition!** Read post #1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

From Heather's Original Thread for AC:
In accordance with the UA, please adhere to the following rules: Please do not post links to your Content Producer page or your articles, in your posts or signature. Please do not spam users in private with these links unless they have asked. If someone asks you for a link, send it to them in a private message. Swap links only in private and when solicited.

You may tell us when you have a new article posted and what it is about, but again, do not link it. There is no need to say "See my CP page for it" or "PM me for a link" and so on to self-promote, because we all know that we can check your CP page or PM you. Keep self-promotion to a minimum. All we need to know is that you wrote something new and what it's about, and if people want to, they will take the initiative to find the peice and read it. Telling us the exact name of the piece is not recommended, because that's about the same as posting the link.

I am going to create a list of the MDC mamas and their AC links. If you wish to be added to it, please PM me with a link to your Content Producer Page. If you would like an updated copy of the list (which isn't available just yet, lol) just ask. I will try to send out copies to a few people so that I'm not the only one who knows.

Please do not post here if you advertise to your articles in your signature (unless you've purchased an advertising package).

Mods, I hope this is ok. If you want me to amend these rules please let me know. (Although none of us benefit enough from the bonus to afford, in six months, to pay for an MDC advertising package much less profit after doing so.)
Original Thread for Associated Content
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=647439

September Thread -
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=742242

Welcome!! I hope with NANO going on that we don't lose activity here!

What are your goals for this month?

How did everyone do last month?

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#2 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 AM

Hi all. I am doing Nano, but still hoping to keep up with my AC writing. My goal for November is the same as last month, $125 and approximately 7 articles a week. We'll see how it works out.

I did well last month, just meeting my goals (not including page view bonuses). I have started doing some social networking at onlywire thanks to Heather and Lee at AC. Once I got caught up on all my back work, it really does take no time at all. I'm also networking on facebook.

I finally broke down and subbed to everyone, instead of just using favorites. Now that they don't show your email address anymore, I'm more comfortable with it, and think it will be easier to keep up with everyone's published content. Even if I'm not commenting, I'm reading. I promise!
#3 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I like being subbed to everyone! I get the email and click and read their article and rate it!

Kelly -- did you meet you goal of $125 last month? I need to for real set a goal this month and make some money!

#4 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Hi everyone. They updated page views again. I didn't do all that well this time, but I'm not surprised. I haven't had any new articles in about a month and have done no promoting. I've got to check out onlywire.

To continue the discussion from the last thread, my highest article is my abreva article with over 8,000 page views. My lowest is my taking your preschooler for a walk article with around 40 something - lol. Interestingly, on Suite 101, I also have an article about cold sores which is a little different than my abreva article, but it is also my highest performing over there. Who'd of thought that cold sores would be a hot topic? LOL

I still have 4 articles to write for Suite by Nov. 11th to meet my contract, but after that I hope to do a few for AC this month. I don't have lofty goals this month since I am doing Nano. Which, I am very excited about!
#5 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM

GL to those of you doing Nano!

No big goals for me either. We have a lot going on this month (plus it's the Great Cloth Diaper Hunt) so I'll be lucky if I can get a few articles in this month.

I just had an article go through today though and I am kicking myself. Since it nrmally takes my articles 7-9 days to clear, I've been submitting my rough draft and then editing in the days following. Well, my article cleared quickly this time. Went through without me editing it. lots of typos. Ug. Lesson learned.

And I did well with the PV update. Social bookmarking seems to have made a huge impact on my PV. Thanks for the insights Heather!
#6 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Hey, anyone who is new and hasn't sent me their CP link, send it to me now plz !

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#7 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Hey, I'm new. I actually just submitted my first peice the other day and today accepted an offer of $8 for it. I'm very excited about it and about getting back into writing. Something I've mostly put on the back burner since I became a mom. I'm not really setting any goals for AC yet, partially because I'm new and partially because I'm due again in Dec. I just want to say that thanks to reading the Oct. thread I decided to write the article and submit it. You ladies have been a great inspiration for me and have helped me to get excited about writing again. Thanks!
#8 of 190 Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Nikki- that's fabulous! Welcome.

Also, making this an open invite for anyone to send me their AC link.
#9 of 190 Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Nikki, please do pm me your link and congrats on getting back into AC!!

#10 of 190 Old 11-03-2007, 11:02 AM

Anyone having trouble with AC? I keep getting security warnings and can't submit content/view forums/view my account/my content, etc.

ETA: Nevermind. Working now. It's hard when they are doing updates, because it's always the middle of the night their time, but morning/midday my time!
#11 of 190 Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Kelly, you always seem to have that happen!

I'm gonna see if I can't get in a few today that I've been working on!

#12 of 190 Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

**Anyone who is using ONLY WIRE!!**

I went and signed up for about 6 of them.

So what do I do now?

I'm sorry if I seem so lost with this, but I want to help my page views.
TIA
Erika

#13 of 190 Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 AM

kelly - it was down for me in the early morning yesterday too.

Erila- I am no expert on onlywire since I just started. I am a little confused if I am doing this right. I will try to give you a step-by-step run-down though. Those that know more about onlywire, please feel free to correct/add.

1. Go to Onlywire.com
2. Click "Start Using It Now"
3. Fill out account info.
4. Go through each of the bookmarking sites listed on the left column and enroll in each one. Be sure to check your email as many require you to confim via email. If some sites are down, just skip them.
5. At the top of the Onlywire page, you will see a green box with "Bookmark Tools" in the title. Click on "Need Help."
6. On-line visusal tutorial shows you how to right click and add to favorites in the links folder. Choose which "Save page" feature you like (I chose with frames- fr, though not sure of the difference).
7. Go to AC and open up the article you want to bookmark.
8. Click on favorites, go to links folder, and open up the "Save Page" tool that you just saved there.
9. A rectangular box should open up at the top of the screen. Add your info. Separate tags with a space, include a description of your article.
10. Click bookmark page.

That's all I have been doing. I assume you only need to bookmark it once. Is that right?

HTH
#14 of 190 Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Jenny, when I get back to work tonight I'm gonna try it. I've done through number 4 already! I hope this helps me!

Thanks!

#15 of 190 Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 AM

subbing

I'd love to figure out a way to make a few hundred dollars a month and get more practice writing. I have a blog (Film&Food) and I'm trying to figure out how to make money with it...maybe taking some of the articles on local restaurants and publishing them on AC?
#16 of 190 Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if you could do that because AC normally wants exclusive rights to the work that you send them.

But I know there is a non exclusive option. I just don't think it pays as much!

If you do join AC, please send me your time!

#17 of 190 Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM

my time? I'm new at this and still learning how it all works.
#18 of 190 Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 AM

i am pretty sure she meant send you your link. do the same to me when you get published. ask questions as you need!
#19 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Hi, I am new too. I have just submitted my first two pieces, one is an article on parenting, the other a poem. I am waiting with baited breath.

So what happens next? How do you all promote?
#20 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi All!

So, I spent the morning looking at AC. Then I found the poetry section...

Do poets get paid for this? If so, any tips?
#21 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Poetry and prose, as well as most opinion/editorial, are only paid by page views (PVs).

How I promote:
I just recently began actively promoting. Heather got me started on using onlywire (see post #13 for how-to). I must said this has had a H-U-G-E impact on my PV. I had been getting (at most) 100-200 hits a week previously. The PV update today, I am up 1000 PV.

I also choose to subscribe to other writers rather than add to favorites. I let them know that I have subbed to them, and then they seem more likely to sub in return. About every 2-3 days I got through the AC folder in my email and read, comment and rate. I try and comment on nearly every article, the exception to that is for writers how have had several articles published within that time. I may only comment on 2-3 of their articles - though I still read them all. I think the more you comment and get your "face" out there, the more likely people will stumble upon you.

I also tend to lurk on certain departments - parenting, religion, health and wellness, and comment on random articles that I find interesting. Again, most people will comment back on one of my articles.

I promote on a few other forums as well, but not in any great depth. Like I said, promoting is pretty new to me.
#22 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Welcome to the newbies. Please PM me your links.

I moved to Clout 6 this update. That was my Thanksgiving, 3 month mark goal, so I am really pleased with myself. Wahoo!

Taking the night off to work on my NaNoWriMo, but am still on target with one article a day or 7 a week!
#23 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Newbies - Please pm me your AC links too. I will read your stuff, though I don't always comment.

I'm taking an AC break right now. I've still got three articles for Suite to do by Sunday and Nano is really taking all of my creative writing energy. Next month I'll be back into AC for sure.
#24 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Okay, so AC has offered me $7 for what I submitted this afternoon. Do I just accept? Is this a good price? There's not any haggling, right?

Thanks!
Amanda
#25 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 PM

Nope, no haggling. That is a good offer these days. I would accept.
#26 of 190 Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Yep that's a very decent offer.
#27 of 190 Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 PM

subbing!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#28 of 190 Old 11-07-2007, 02:53 PM

I haven't been getting my sub notices for this thread! Boo! (Heh, maybe I should go make sure I actually subbed, considering how flaky I've been lately... )

My last two pieces were stupid, about common household things, and they've been two of the highest offers I've had in a while. Who would have thought that they'd pay 6 bucks for an article on how to clean your steam iron? :

Any newbies, please PM me your link!
#29 of 190 Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM

I just read my e-mail update from AC to find out that one of our MDC mamas is in the content producer spotlight!!! Kelly! Congratulations! Did you know or is it a surprise to you too?
#30 of 190 Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM

That's awesome Kelly! What email is that btw? I don't think I receive it/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page