beginner freelancers stop here! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2008, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
helium is addictive- they have these questions about whether you agree or disagree and i get caught up in the argument. their contests are fun, too. they don't reject anything, so if your article is garbage, they will still post it. it cheapens the site. it's Ok for when I just want to make words come out and don't care about quality, but anymore i just use my blog for that. some of the helium articles are so embarrassing i have gone in and re-edited them just because my name is one them.

suite101 doesn't seem like a huge moneymaker but they are a great education on web writing, using keywords so your articles will be picked up by search engines. using keywords to attract advertisers. If you're in the parenting or education section, the editor is a very good teacher (vicious I almost once called her, but i learned!)

what is CL?

I'm not liking the quality of work on AC- how well do they pay?

E-how i think is ridiculous. how well do they pay?

where does sheknows (and their huge family of like 60 websites for women?) get their content? I should email the editor and ask.

so very sorry about no capitals i am nursing an 8 wk old with a 2 yr old sitting on my neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 PM

How much money can people make freelancing? I've never done it, but would love to if it would be worth the time.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
How much money can people make freelancing? I've never done it, but would love to if it would be worth the time.
This will vary and you'll likely get a different answer from every person you ask. Last summer when I worked on content for my friend's site I made a few hundred dollars in a month then I didn't have any more work for a few months.

Then there are those who hit the freelance writing sites and bid on jobs, post their resumes, etc and can make a few thousand a month.

It really matters what you put into it time and quality-wise.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Am desperately in NEED of making some income & needing to stay home (due to my kids' special needs). I've done some writing a long time ago (poetry & opinion pieces) that were published...but I'm talking college student magazines, so I really don't know how valid they would be as sample pieces anymore (graduated from college (23 yrs ago --yikes!).

Anyway, I've been scrolling through some of these threads & not understanding what "Helium" is nor "CL" or some other abbreviations...I'm feeling really old and out of the loop. Could you let me know what those things are & where you might suggest some good "get your feet in the water" sites to do free lance writing.

Also, I don't feel like I'm very savvy when it comes to computers, etc, but would love to write/submit online...for those who have, is it pretty easy...meaning. You write the assignment (topic) & email it to the person? Some survey sites ask for phone number & other personal info & have been nervous about giving that out since I don't want to be inundated with scammers. So, I'm looking to all you young/savvy gals out there to hold my hand and walk me through this, if you're willing (please, oh, please).
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

CL= craigslist
(sorry mamas!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

If you can write, edit and can make time, there's work out there!

I am just a beginner really. I really like being able to write at home though! It's perfect for my situation!

Helium is a web content site like AC (Associated Content) apparently they don't pay upfront but you can write for them and land jobs. I think they pay for page views like Suite 101.

google documents is good for sending text files. (Thanks Sandi! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie anne View Post
Am desperately in NEED of making some income & needing to stay home (due to my kids' special needs). I've done some writing a long time ago (poetry & opinion pieces) that were published...but I'm talking college student magazines, so I really don't know how valid they would be as sample pieces anymore (graduated from college (23 yrs ago --yikes!).

Anyway, I've been scrolling through some of these threads & not understanding what "Helium" is nor "CL" or some other abbreviations...I'm feeling really old and out of the loop. Could you let me know what those things are & where you might suggest some good "get your feet in the water" sites to do free lance writing.

Also, I don't feel like I'm very savvy when it comes to computers, etc, but would love to write/submit online...for those who have, is it pretty easy...meaning. You write the assignment (topic) & email it to the person? Some survey sites ask for phone number & other personal info & have been nervous about giving that out since I don't want to be inundated with scammers. So, I'm looking to all you young/savvy gals out there to hold my hand and walk me through this, if you're willing (please, oh, please).

Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootamy View Post
I'd love to join this thread! I used to freelance a bit some years ago and haven't had the stick-to-it attitude to write much lately. I'm ready to jump back into the writing scene on a small scale with emphasis in holistic health and women's health from a natural standpoint. Does anyone want an accountability buddy? I tend to get very lazy with my writing but I have a ton of ideas, it just doesn't get done.
awesome! I''ll be your buddy! I love writing about alternative health and medicine modalities,etc!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:09 AM

Has anyone ever submitted to a magazine that was located in a different country from where you reside? I need guidance on how (or even if) I can submit to US publications even though I live in the UK. I mean, I know I 'can' submit and it shouldn't be a problem with the actual story but when it comes to payment and claiming taxes, I'm at a loss. I'm a US citizen living abroad so I still file US taxes for my foreign-earned income but I'm sure it's not as cut and dried as that. Also, there's the issue of payment and the currency exchange. Does anyone know if most magazines will be able to pay the money directly into my bank account over here (in dollars of course), or will they insist on sending me a check that I then have to pay a fee to cash and get exchanged into £GBP?

There's such a bigger market for beginners in the US so that's why I want to try to break in over there. Over here, it seems to be either big nationa mags where you have to have lots of experience and clips, or tiny little neighbourhood mags that don't pay squat.

Anyone have any guidance?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 01-31-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
Has anyone ever submitted to a magazine that was located in a different country from where you reside?

I'll try and help. I'm Canadian but write for a bunch of US markets and others. I have a US dollar account for the US cheques. As far as taxes go - I just fill out the forms I'm sent by accounting and declare the income at tax time. Most of the writers I know write for all sorts of publications and the accounting departments seem pretty savvy on what we need.

There's such a bigger market for beginners in the US so that's why I want to try to break in over there. Over here, it seems to be either big nationa mags where you have to have lots of experience and clips, or tiny little neighbourhood mags that don't pay squat.

Anyone have any guidance?
I found having a few Canadian clips helped break into the US markets. The eds had no idea if a magazine was big or not - so my clips seemed to hold good weight even when I was just starting out.
Diane
Old 01-31-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I totally missed this post! I am still trying to work up the courage to email the editor

First I want to write some more stuff that I could see reading in that particular newspaper. there is another local paper too (monthly) I will have to look at it again as it's been awhile.

the newspaper is extremely small.. maybe 25 pages at most. it comes out tues/thurs. but it's local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
As someone who has been on staff at a paper, they're always in need of help.

I'm assuming you've got one editor there, since it is a small place? I'd send in an email, letter of introduction. Here's where some beginners mess up: You don't need to tell him you don't have tons of experience. If you have any education experience or any experience that might be good to health, let him know.

(WHy am I saying "Him?" Okay. Let her know.)

Send along a clip or two, make sure they're your best. And then, hit send. You might get lucky and get her on a slow day or you might not. Is it a daily? Weekly?

If you don't hear back in a week or so, call the front desk and ask when is the best day to try and reach the editor.

Most people start out at small places, be it a weekly or the college paper. And, of course, DO NOT MENTION THAT YOU WOULD WORK FOR BEANS. They'll probably pay beans (I'd hope for at least $50/article) but keep your options open, ya know?

Then, once you've really started to get some good clips under your belt and really feel you've got the writing/news/freelance down, go on to bigger markets.

Yes, you can do it. Good for you for setting your goal.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
awesome! I''ll be your buddy! I love writing about alternative health and medicine modalities,etc!
I've not been able to get around the board because the "server is busy" lately. If you're still interested pm me and we can either exchange pm's or emails.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootamy View Post
I've not been able to get around the board because the "server is busy" lately. If you're still interested pm me and we can either exchange pm's or emails.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

subbing
Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Hello all!

I'm really hoping to get a free-lance career going, somehow, while trying to keep 3 little kids clothed, fed and happy. I'll be reading this thread more throughly, looks like there's some great ideas.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Well I am starting to get courageous enough and I am exploring some magazines for submissions. I am looking at some Christian magazines and parenting magazines currently. Part of me is just so scared to try though. I also just ordered a book on the ins and outs of freelancing.

Currently I am a Feature Writer at Suite. I used to work at AC, but became dissatisfied with how they run the show there. The good news is I am making more money at Suite now anyway. To clarify, Suite does NOT by page views. You get paid a share of the revenue when people click on the google ads. That percentage increases depending on how many articles you have published and if you are an FW. So the key there is to limit external links and write on topics that people are likely to see an ad of appeal - so some topics are better than others for that.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
Currently I am a Feature Writer at Suite.
What's Suite?

And does anyone have any experience with Hellium? Are they worth the effort?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirthfulmum View Post
What's Suite?

And does anyone have any experience with Hellium? Are they worth the effort?
Not Jenny but answering the question.

http://www.suite101.com

I'm also a feature writer there and have similar thoughts as Jenny; I've only been writing there a little over two months but not only is the $ better than I was making at AC, I've also had offers to write for print publications at a much higher pay rate. I'm definitely happy with the exposure I've received at Suite.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM

I don't usually write for public consumption, but I am considering it and will have to read this thread when I have a little more time. Subbing for future reference.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing as I'm hoping to break back into freelancing in the next few months....
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM

have started getting into AC....to answer another poster's question, I tried Helium a few months ago but didn't really get anywhere with it. To be honest I didnt think the quality of many of the other articles on there was up to scratch, so I didn't think it was worth it.

Suite sounds great though...will have to check it out.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Subbing as I'm trying to be more diligent with my freelance efforts these days.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero

User Tag List