The Artist's Way!! Week one - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, wowsa. If you all want to do the Vein of Gold, I'd be TOTALLY up for it. I'll keep an eye out and see what you all do after you finish the AW. I've worked through it three times (twice in a group irl, and once with one friend) and want to move to Vein of Gold... Maybe I'll post an invite to folks... Hmmm...
#32 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Yeah, you should start a group. I hope we roll right through all 3 books, I have been intending to do the AW for years, but it is only now, that I am having trouble with finding motivation, that I am forcing myself to start, I am glad I am.

Whatever will be, already is...

#33 of 45 Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

It's Wednesday...and I didn't do my Morning Pages.

My 8 mo DD is teething, and although she went to bed around 10:30 last night, she was up at 2 a.m., 3 a.m. and 5:45 a.m. She will usually sleep at least 6 hours, if not 8...so, I'm used to getting a little bit of solid sleep at night. But yesterday I was up at 6:30 (to take DH to work) and didn't get to bed until midnight, and then was up all night with DD...

SO--that is my EXCUSE for not getting my MP done.

I've got more--wanna hear them?

I considered sitting down and doing my MP tonight before I went to bed...but I had to make (from scratch) the invitations for my friend's baby shower...and I had to assemble the invites for my DD's 11-birthday party.

Now I need to go to bed, but for some reason I'm still sitting here.

I can honestly say, though, that I have been doing--at least in my head--the exercises for this week...about our monsters and our heroes of our creativity...so, I want to do a little writing on that soon.
#34 of 45 Old 02-01-2008, 09:28 AM

I've been able to do little mp burps, maybe one page. I'm getting myself used to finding time and sitting down to do it.

One thing I have been struggling with is thinking about my "monsters." I am tired of blaming people in my childhood for what's happending now. Even thinking about them gives them some power. So I'm gonna stop. And I have to acknowledge that I am one of my own enemies. I'm okay with that because I can change my reactions etc.

Hope everyone has a good day.

hh2.gif

#35 of 45 Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM

This week's exercises have made me realize that I'm my own "monster"

My family has always been very supportive of my creative endeavors, so I don't have any tales of artistic ridicule to work on. Instead, all I can think of are the times I haven't let myself do something because I don't think I'll be "good enough". In some ways I'm sure I've always known this about myself, but these exercises have underscored it for me.

I'm also realizing that I don't have any experience with negative responses to my work because I don't put myself out there. This week, I was inspired to submit a flash fiction piece to a blog I've been reading (but not submitting anything to) for months. I'll know if it got accepted in a few days

Oh, also, I'm loving the morning pages. I'm using them as a big info dump for all the random thoughts in my head. It is amazing how they clear my head.
#36 of 45 Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I keep loaning my copy of TAW out. It was incredibly helpful to me a couple of years ago. I should ask for the book back - the person who currently has it has had it for nearly a year. Can I join in if I get it back?
#37 of 45 Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM

I am supposed to get the book today in the mail, so I will be a week behind everyone- but I'd still love to join if I could!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#38 of 45 Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 PM

oh please EVERYBODY join it if you are behind, skim if you must, but definitely read the first chapter, there are some important things there. If you can't do that, jump in and little by little backtrack over the earlier info so you can keep up.

#39 of 45 Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM

subbing and catching up. been trying to work through this book for awhile. hoping a group will help keep me motivated!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#40 of 45 Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Ha.

Was this supposed to be week one?

More like Week None for me.

I got one day of MP done, and that's as far as I've gotten.

I swear, I feel like I never sit down long enough to write a single word, let alone 3 pages worth...and for all of my good intentions, I just haven't managed to do anything other than read the chapter--and usually that's when I'm in the bathroom!

What happens if you don't successfully complete a week? Do you stay with that week's chapter for the following week, or do you move on to the next chapter?
#41 of 45 Old 02-04-2008, 08:53 AM

I think you should ty moving to the next chapter Thee are alot of people who are starting late. I get up early to do the MP, and some mornings it is a struggle. I have not been doing the exercises because I am starting over to participate in this group and have already done them (the 1st 3 chapters). I have NOT done the artist dates though, what are your ideas? I was thinking of just taking me out to dinner alone (bit I usually read when I am alone) *shrugs*

The artist dates are supposed to be crucial, I am stuck on thaT one

Oh, I will be without a computer for a while *gasp* it has to go in for repairs. I look forward to coming back and reading alot of good stuff in the week two thread

Bye everyone :

#42 of 45 Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM

This book is amazing! I got it on Friday, and its already hit me so profoundly. While reading week 1, I was astounded at how much it spoke to me. I AM a shadow artist, wow.

Anyway, Sunday I started my morning pages and got 2 1/2 done. Although I finished some of those pages right before bed. Which I don't recommend because then I ended up thinking about the stuff I wrote instead of sleeping.

This morning I managed to get all 3 pages done, although it was at work during a lull in my work. But they are finished. I'm so excited that I found this thread and as a result got the book.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#43 of 45 Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

As for Morning Pages...

The thought of 3 pages isn't daunting to me, not the writing-it-all-down part. What is daunting to me is finding the energy in the first 30 minutes of my day to sit down and write. As it is, I have a hard time waking up when the baby wakes, and so I only get out of bed when she is up for the day. Which means I go right into "mommy-mode" and it is impossible to sit and write with a newly-crawling 8 mo in need of your attention.

Then, by the time she goes down for her nap, it is no longer "morning" and I've done a million things, so my morning pages aren't the first thing I do, and therefore, I do not attempt to do them at all...Sometimes I do write during a quiet moment in the day, jot down lines that come to me, ideas, words that I can't get out of my head, maybe a bit of journaling, letters unsent, that kind of thing...but I don't consider them to be my Morning Pages.

As for the Artist's Date...

I think I'll find this a heck of a lot easier to stick to than the pages. One of the things I intend to do is take my digital camera out on the town and give myself a minimum number of pictures I have to take before I get home. (I don't think I'll have a problem with this--LOL.) I will aim for the random and arbitrary, things I wouldn't normally stop to photograph. I'm hoping that somewhere in the resulting pictures, perhaps I'll find some inspiration.

As a spin on the above idea, I think I will also take another date and go out with the 35mm manual Nikon and take a couple rolls of film. It takes far greater skill to take good pictures with a manual camera...and then, having them developed and sorting through them can be a completely different Artist's Date for the following week...taking the rolls and dropping them off on my way home from the initial date, then picking them up a week later, taking them to a coffee shop and looking at them there...choosing my favorites, etc.

Another date...to our local museum. It isn't spectacular or filled with classic pieces of art, but it is large and quiet on the inside, and I enjoy sitting in the overstuffed chairs in the children's area while looking through the art books they provide for the kids.

Another date...out to a park or riverwalk with a notebook or journal. Writing down what I see--nothing required to be cohesive, perhaps just one word, a few phrases, descriptions of my surroundings...

I intend to go to a movie by myself.

I like to go to the big book stores and stand and listen to the music samples they provide at the end of their kiosks...just scrolling through this huge music library, listening to new music and rediscovering old favorites.

Those are some of my ideas. I hope they help.
#44 of 45 Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Those are great ideas, I especially like the photography idea. I have yet to do an artist date. I am doing my MPs though. They are getting easier and easier. I am actually getting in touch with some of my core life issues through this process It is not easy OR pleasant all of the time, but it is going to be transformative. I think tonight I will take myself to the bookstore across town and mill about, then I will treat myself to a mocha as I look through books (the only problem is that I will probably buy books, I have ALOT of books)

I will do that tomorrow night. I have something to do for a while, then I will head down to the bookstore, that should be pleasant.

I have been loosely doing the exercises, mainly using them as a starting point for writing on the subjects.

Is anyone else having success with this process?

Is anyone else receiving insights though the exercises and meditating on the messages in each chapter?

I want to get the most out of this.

#45 of 45 Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Ok, I got my book last night!!! I read up to the first chapter this morning, and will probably do more while the kiddos nap. I'm really excited about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page