The Artist's Way!! Week one - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've bought "The Artist's Way" and the companion workbook...but it's been sitting on my counter for about a week now....I've yet to crack it open.

I used to write. And sometimes writing was the only thing that could calm my soul...but since I got married 2 years ago, I've barely written anything. Having a new baby (to go with my big kids, 10 & 14) didn't do anything to help my creative process. I barely have time to shower, get little sleep, and always have an overabundance of housework to do...so, how am I supposed to find time to devote to my writing?

I've heard that "The Artist's Way" is supposed to be very liberating and inspiring, but I think I have been resisting picking it up...afraid it's going to ask too much of me, afraid I won't be successful at completing it (although the only reason I know it is something to be 'completed' is because I read a review about it, not because I've opened it to check it out).

I know I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to honoring my creative gifts...and allowing myself to enjoy things that really do fulfill me...but I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to just pick up the dang book and get started.
#2 of 45 Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Sounds very interesting, I would love to hear others opinions of it!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#3 of 45 Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 AM

I have had a serious problem with creative blockage. I bought the set of three books in one and it has so far at least gotten my pen moving, though I am not happy with what I have written. I would be happy to start a sort of support group/ study that we each check in here with our insights. She suggests that in the book (the support group)

So how it would work wwould be that we pick a day to check in, say Monday perhaps. We are responsible for reading the chapter and doing the exercises and check in on the next Monday.

I am game, anyone else? I am on the 3rd chapter, but would gladly go back and start over

I am going CRAZY with my lack of creative juices, it seems that I can only write well when I am gong through a tough period, such as heartbreak.

What do you think?

Whatever will be, already is...

#4 of 45 Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
I have had a serious problem with creative blockage. I bought the set of three books in one and it has so far at least gotten my pen moving, though I am not happy with what I have written. I would be happy to start a sort of support group/ study that we each check in here with our insights. She suggests that in the book (the support group)

So how it would work wwould be that we pick a day to check in, say Monday perhaps. We are responsible for reading the chapter and doing the exercises and check in on the next Monday.

I am game, anyone else? I am on the 3rd chapter, but would gladly go back and start over

I am going CRAZY with my lack of creative juices, it seems that I can only write well when I am gong through a tough period, such as heartbreak.

What do you think?

A support group is a good idea and it requires activity and accountability.

I've been wary of picking up the book because I've heard it is very demanding...and I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with normal responsibilities, ya know?

BelovedK--are you working through TAW right now, like you've already started on the first week, etc?

I think it's a great idea to use Monday's as check in because that gives us a whole week and weekend to get started and get through it.

I wonder if we can get any more people interested.
#5 of 45 Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM

I would love to be part of a support group. I have started and stopped the AW probably three or four times. This time I want to finish.

I started this morning, struggling with my morning pages. I'll be honest and say I did two pages instead of three. It's a start and I'm not downing myself. I have some work ahead of me; I know this. And this time starting it, I am actually writing again, though not at the pace I would like.

hh2.gif

#6 of 45 Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I am up for starting next monday with chapter 1 again. I have started, and have been doing the morning pages but not the artists dates. I have been falling behind.

So, how about Monday the 28th? We can check in with our intentions, then read the chapter and do the exercises and check back in on Monday the 4th of February. Does that sound doable?

You work with one chapter for a month before you move on.

I could use a kick start. I have brought a novel I am working on out of hiding. I am going to finish it, even if it is complete crap. I have to experience completing something, I could learn alot.

#7 of 45 Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Sign me up! I'll have the book and workbook tomorrow (thank you, Amazon), and I'm excited about getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
I could use a kick start. I have brought a novel I am working on out of hiding. I am going to finish it, even if it is complete crap. I have to experience completing something, I could learn alot.
That's exactly what I'm feeling and doing. I started a novel in November that I'd love to finish, even if it turns out to be awful.
#8 of 45 Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM

Ok, do I need the book and the workbook then??

#9 of 45 Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM

Just the book.

#10 of 45 Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Is it one month?

I thought it was one week per chapter?

Did I read that wrong? Or are we just adopting that rule for the support group?
#11 of 45 Old 01-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
Is it one month?

I thought it was one week per chapter?

Did I read that wrong? Or are we just adopting that rule for the support group?
It IS one week. I don't know what I was thinking

#12 of 45 Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM

Ok, I'll *try* and go get this this weekend.

#13 of 45 Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 AM

Jan 28 sounds good to me. I'll look at the couple days this week that I managed to do part of my morning pages as just a practice run. I have tried to do this more than a few times now, and I really really want to finish. It is so true what Julia Cameron says about avoiding what you truly need. I need to finish. I've been blocked and have come out the other side, but it's not always easy to sustain. It's tough at times. I guess I'm hoping the Artist's Way helps me in some small way. What does everyone hope for?

hh2.gif

#14 of 45 Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 AM

My creativity is not gone, it is just...well...I am not sure where it is. I HOPE to find it and make a reconnection.

I have no doubt that it will work. I am going to make it happen

#15 of 45 Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Hi all

I didn't do morning pages this morning, my DS was up during the night with intense ear pain we actually went to the dr this am (we usually don't do that, it was THAT bad)

I thought we could all start the book today with the prologue and chapter one. We start our morning pages tomorrow (if you didn't do them this morning)

There can be discussion throughout the week, and next monday we can kick off chapter two

Who is in?

#16 of 45 Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm in!

I did the reading on Sunday and did my "morning" pages this afternoon when my son got into his playtime groove.

I'm looking forward to doing this week's exercises, they seem interesting and worthwhile.

I think the hardest thing for me will be the artist's dates. I have a hard time squeezing in a solo shower, let alone two whole hours a week *alone*! My husband is very willing to help me with this, though, so I think I'll be able to work something out.

Here's to a good week, writer mamas!
#17 of 45 Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM

is it just the two of us? it's totally ok if it is, I just thought more were interested.

The artist dates will be tricky for me too, I just stay so busy and I can't think of what to do, can we take our artist to the movies?

#18 of 45 Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM

I'm in! I didn't do my morning pages today, but my alarm clock is set to sneak out of bed before I have to get hubby out the door. For me this is about taking some time for me and feeling like I can take some time for me. And feeling safe about it.

If hubby can take time out of the week to golf, well, I can find some space to write and nurture my soul. Easier said than done...but...I'm working on it!

hh2.gif

#19 of 45 Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM

YAY!!!

My son still has a wicked ear infection. He is 12, but he had me up all night. I hope he gets a good night's rest, that will make it easier to do MP, I will anyway though

#20 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 AM

I wasn't able to get the book yet, maybe I can jump in next week?

#21 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I'm in...I'm here.

Just barely.

I did the required reading, but I didn't do my morning pages...my DH's grandmother died over the weekend, and her funeral was today, so I didn't get much done.

Tomorrow, though. I will get it done tomorrow.

I even bought a new pretty (spiral) notebook.
#22 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 AM

I hope I'm not too late! I've had the book for about...hmmm... six years and have resisted it for some reason, although a few weeks ago I brought it out, hoping to finally start. So now, here's my chance! I'll try to start on chapter one tomorrow.
#23 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM

I've had my book for about 3 yrs. I just feel this is it. I will follow thru to the end this time.

I'm up and fixing lunches. I have about my mp started. I think of 3 pgs as more of a guide...

Good luck and good day to everyone.

hh2.gif

#24 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee View Post
I wasn't able to get the book yet, maybe I can jump in next week?
Absolutely!! Jump in whenever you can

#25 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 AM

I did two pages this morning, I also pondered the questions and exercises and affirmations. My problem is that when I was growing up, I had a creative mother who fostered my own creative urges, and alot of supportive people around me. That is not a real *problem*, it just makes some of the questions hard to answer.

I am trying to think of something to do for my artist date, what have any of you come up with (this is the hardest part )

#26 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Wow.

I'm am very happy to report that I actually completed my morning pages...all three of them.

It was not easy.

I found every reason to prevent me from sitting down and getting to it:

Couldn't find my special notebook
Needed to clean the kitchen
Had work to do on my editing transcripts
Floor needed sweeping
Laundry needed washing
I was exhausted and needed a nap (only got 3 hours of sleep)
Haven't had a shower in 3 days, need to wash my hair.
Have bills to organize
Had to make a pot of coffee
Had to scrub the kitchen table where I was writing

Seems I had this idea in my head of what the "perfect" setting was to do my morning pages. Julia Cameron made a brief mention of sitting down with a cup of coffee and doing your pages. So, I *had* to have coffee...and I got to procrastinate for another 10 minutes.

That's my problem. I've always got something else to do--something more important that meeting my own needs. No wonder I can't write.

I sucked it up and wrote in another notebook, not insisting that I could ONLY write in my special notebook purchased specifically for Morning Pages...and I got it done...even though my 8 mo DD woke up when I had three lines left on my 3rd page...I finished those lines before I got her up (she was playing in her bed).

I feel mildly accomplished.
#27 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Hey that sounds great! You did your 3 pgs in spite of all the distractions!

I haven't decided on an Artist's Date. I love long walks to clear my head, and the opportunities are few and far between during the week. I may go for a moonlit walk after work if it manages to stop raining. I would also like to rent a movie and just Watch It without interruptions or guilt because it's MY choice of film.

hh2.gif

#28 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

I'd like to take my writer out to a movie, just us

I do my morning pages in bed before I get up, once I get up, it's all over. The only problem is that I sometimes start to fall back to sleep

Maybe I will suck it up and come downstairs, but if I make a pot of coffee, I will be less likely to go for my walk (I walk for an hour every morning)

#29 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

I do my morning pages in bed before I get up, once I get up, it's all over. The only problem is that I sometimes start to fall back to sleep

Maybe I will suck it up and come downstairs, but if I make a pot of coffee, I will be less likely to go for my walk (I walk for an hour every morning)

#30 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page