Questions about my blog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't been blogging for all that long so I am not sure about the ins and outs of it. Could you guys please give me a hand??
How come when I look at others blogs there are a lot of comments? People look at my blog but don't leave any comments. I have maybe 3 comments from people that I know. Do I have it set wrong?
Another question is how are people finding my blog? When it says blogger.com as the referring link where did they come from. I do like when people look at my blog but where are they seeing it to click on it. KWIM?
I LOVE blogging! It is a way to journal our days and a window into our lives for others. I look forward to posting in it everyday.
Thank you to anyone who can help me with these questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you ask your readers a question or for advice, you're more likely to get comments.

The more content you have, the more keywords the search engines will pick up (like google) and they will send people to your site.

at the top of every blogger is a bar that leads you to a next random blog. that could be why...

also, if you're leaving comments on other blogs the owners will visit yours and comment on yours, too.

posting your own comments in other people's blogs really helps, though. Especially a very busy blog like www.amalah.com and keep your blog URL in your email signature (YES, it's attached to EVERY email, even your mother!)

I liked your blog, I will comment for you! good luck.
#3 of 9 Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys! I have 2 whole comments and that makes my day! I will check out your blog tonight when I have the children in bed.
Thanks again. It is so exciting to get comments.
#4 of 9 Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM

A good way to track your traffic is by using Google Analytics. http://www.google.com/analytics

You sign up for an account and put a trackin cookie on your blog page. If you look in the google help file it will tell you exactly how to do it on a blogger blog (since Google owns blogger/blogspot).

I just posted a comment on your blog and then my daughter hit my keyboard which deleted it. LOL
#5 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post
I haven't been blogging for all that long so I am not sure about the ins and outs of it. Could you guys please give me a hand??
How come when I look at others blogs there are a lot of comments? People look at my blog but don't leave any comments. I have maybe 3 comments from people that I know. Do I have it set wrong?
Another question is how are people finding my blog? When it says blogger.com as the referring link where did they come from. I do like when people look at my blog but where are they seeing it to click on it. KWIM?
I LOVE blogging! It is a way to journal our days and a window into our lives for others. I look forward to posting in it everyday.
Thank you to anyone who can help me with these questions.

I love reading your blog! I need to subscribe!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#6 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

ErikaLeigh,
I checked your blog out too. I really love how candid you are. It is easy to read and fun.
#7 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 04:57 PM

thanks!!

I didn't think anyone read that little ole thing!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#8 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 PM

I'm about to check out your blog, I'll leave a comment
#9 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM

Given the age of your blog, I think the number of comments is about right. I think that if you link yourself enough other places (other blog comment section, traffic exchanges, message boards) you can build your readership. You will have far more traffic than comments. That's just how it is. People read and enjoy, but don't always have something to say.

When you post to your Blogger blog, your new post gets linked to from the front page (or Dashboard, maybe) as a fresh post from a Blogger user. Also, Blogger has a "Next Blog" link at the top of the page. Some users click through that to find new blogs. That is where the majority of my Blogger.com referrals came from when I used Blogger to publish.

I think you have a nice blog. Because you have a niche (homeschooling) I think you can build a nice community for yourself. Can I make some suggestions? I recommend cleaning up the quote at the top of your sidebar (make it accurate and give credit) and making the text portions of your posts aligned left instead of center.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page