learning how to blog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For people who aren't that computer savvy...what would you recommend as the best tutorial (book, site, other) to learn how to set up a blog? Did you all just learn by the seat of your pants by logging onto a blog site? Basically, I'm a mom that doesn't own a digital camera, doesn't know a dang about RSS feed, doesn't speak any computer lingo (I DO know how to type fast, email, internet search, write creatively)...but I'm a snail trying to make my way across a very busy internet highway of information...any/all help is appreciated.
#2 of 4 Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 PM

Hi julie anne. I think you can just jump in like I did. Get a blog going with Blogger and you can go to their help area to get specific questions answered.

You don't HAVE to have a camera. I think visual content is important though. You can link images from the internet and get them on your site.

It's not hard. You don't have to be perfect at it. Nothing will explode! Jump in--you can do it!

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#3 of 4 Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just jumped in. I am not the best with computers. It was pretty easy.
#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM

If you can send email, you can blog. Follow the steps to create an account, pick a template and start writing.

Don't worry about not owning a digital camera. I don't do a ton of pictures because I worry about copyright if they're not my own and I generally don't share pictures of my family. I believe it costs me readers who want to put faces with stories, but that's just how it is.

The best thing about RSS is that you don't have to know diddly about it. It just happens. When your blog exists, so does your RSS feed (unless you're setting it all up on your own from scratch, I guess.)

I think Blogger would be a good place for you to start.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page