Starting my first blog help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-09-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband are about to set up our yurt. We are going to start living basically off the grid. Also living a green and healthy lifestyle. I thought a blog following this would be a great ideal. Perhaps even doing a Zine. However, I am not sure where to start. I need a good easy to use free blog spot. Plus any other useful information you can give me. MANY MANY THANKS!

Vegan Crunchy Tree Hugging Wife to my DH and Mommy to my sweet Daughter
#2 of 8 Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM

It sounds like you are starting on a very interesting journey. I would love to read about you and your hubby!

I blog on Blogspot, basically because it is easy. They have the templates ready and it is very easy to use their features.

Best of luck and please let us know when you are up and running.
#3 of 8 Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use blogspot as well. It was very easy even for me. I am not the best with computers.
#4 of 8 Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 PM

I use both blogspot and LJ (Live Journal). They're about equally easy, but I think Blogger is kinda simpler, just a bit easier to post in pictures and movies and stuff. Overall, you will get more hits on blogspot - which is a google product.

Good luck to you!

andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#5 of 8 Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 PM

: what Gruppie Girl and PPs said. Blogspot has worked very well for me.

I would LOVE to see your blog about yurt living. I love yurts and love the idea of a simple space like that.

What part of the country are you in? How will you heat it? Will you use a composting toilet? How do you take care of that?

See? I'm already very curious.

Good luck!

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#6 of 8 Old 02-10-2008, 02:20 PM

Blogspot all the way! The pre-made templates are good, but you can customize them a bit if you're willing to play around with the hTML code-- see my blog in signature line for an example-- the background picture is a photo I took. It's not perfect but then I'm no computer whiz either.

Personally, I'd love to read a blog about yurt living! The most important thing about keeping a blog is to update regularly-- at least once a week. Even if you're just writing it for yourself, it is so useful to get into the habit of writing with regularity. I started my blog in September 2005, almost 2 1/2 years ago. It's nice to be able to look back at previous entries and see 'where I was' at that point; what I was thinking, what I was doing. Life changes so fast, even when it feels stagnant; journaling is a great way to sort of throw down an anchor and record what is going on right this minute. Regular contributions also help if you would like other people to read your blog-- it's what keeps readers coming back. The more regular your writings, the more likely folks will be to come back and check. (There are some blogs I only think to check every month or so, because they don't write very often, and some that I check as part of my every-day routine.)

The only other thing I'd suggest is to write about everything. I mean, obviously keep private anything that's too private to publish (I generally never talk details about work for the obvious reasons, or sex, or arguments with the DH, etc), but even if your blog is about living off the grid you can still incorporate a lot of other parts of your life into your writings. It makes the blog more well-rounded and interesting, and if you're writing primarily for yourself, it gives you a better record of your own life. Blogger lets you create categories and "tags" or labels for posts, so you can tag every post that includes, say, gardening, with a 'gardening' tag; same with everything else. That lets you write about a lot of different things but still have the information categorized by subject; for example anyone visiting my blog could very easily read just the posts that deal with miscarriage. Or with Harry Potter. Whatever.

The only other thing I can think of-- and this is from reading a lot of other blogs-- is to aim for timelessness. It's like choosing a username here at MDC: how many mamas have names like "mama2two" or "proudmomtoSam" or "tryingfornumberone!" only to have more children, or get pregnant, etc., and make their username out-of-date so that it no longer reflects their situation?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#7 of 8 Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Now kind of a dumb question: is Blogger the same as blog spot? Cause when I typed it in that what it went to. Thanks again ladies

Vegan Crunchy Tree Hugging Wife to my DH and Mommy to my sweet Daughter
#8 of 8 Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMom View Post
Thanks everyone! Now kind of a dumb question: is Blogger the same as blog spot? Cause when I typed it in that what it went to. Thanks again ladies
Yes. I always wonder about that too. Blogger/Blogspot is the same site.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page