What is "travel writing"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to find examples of it online but I only get websites that give tips to travel writers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm not sure what you are asking?
If you want examples of excellent Travel Writing look at the winners of the Lowell Thomas awards.
If you are after a definition of travel writing that is a bit tougher...
#3 of 8 Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 AM

I'm pretty sure it's when you write about your travels, and hotels and traveling.

I got a job writing about travel from a stupid blog I write about travel, even though I never travel anymore. SO instead I write about how I want to travel. And planning for travel. But I never really travel. it was good enough to get me a travel writing job. i think it's dumb though.
#4 of 8 Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Aaah that makes sense. Thanks!
#5 of 8 Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you want to see some examples of travel writing, look in good-quality magazines (ie. a cuisine or house-and-garden-type magazine, not Woman's Weekly). There'll often be an article about 'how I explored Italy's wine trails' or 'Sunning myself in the Maldives', or themes to that effect. They're usually written in the first person, contain rather a lot of florid adjectives, and are generally targeted towards marketing/recommending a specific location, activity, hotel or restaurant. Travel articles generally mix a bit of personal experience with a lot of subjective impressions of the place, and a bit of history or info about it.

That sounds disparaging, but I'd love to write travel articles--at keast if someone was willing to pay for me to sun myself in the Maldives, which sadly nobody has yet seemed inclined to do.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 8 Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 AM

The New York Time's current "Talk to the Newsroom" Q&A is with the travel editor. It's a pretty good one.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#7 of 8 Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Travel writing has a fair bit of marketing/PR mixed into it, in my experience, unless you are talking about the Paul Theroux/Bruce Chatwin/Dervala Murphy travel memoir type thing.
#8 of 8 Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Oh I see what you're asking. Probably about 40% of what I do is travel writing. It means I take my family on some pretty great trips

What I do is divided into a couple of different styles. My favourite is narrative or essays. These are just first person stories about a place. Rarely do they mention PR type stuff. These are bought by all sorts of places; magazines, book anthologies, some newspapers...

Service stories are the ones that tell you what to do in a given place. Things like: ten great train trips in Canada or the top five kid friendly restaurants in Vancouver... Usually PR and tourism people help set up stories like these but they still need to be honest - otherwise people are disappointed by a bad experience.

Many stories combine the two styles and that's probably the bulk of what I do these days.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page