If you need a kick in the... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... you know what I mean...

You have fifteen ideas for a great book(s), and NOTHING on paper (or screen, or whatever it is you use to write).

So... If you need a club to keep you going, come here and join me. Because I need someone to kick me to write.

RULES:

1. Pick ONE project, and give a working title.

2. Post page count and how you feel about progress.

3. You may share the details, or you can give us just a general outline.

4. Pay attention to what others are working on, and encourage them to stay with their projects until they are done.

This is like a DDC, only instead of a baby, you are supposed to produce a finished novel. Who's in? :

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 24 Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm in, I hope! I've had an idea for some time, but it will require a LOT of research, which I'm great at when it comes to parenting, but not so much when it comes to history.

I've never written an entire novel (I generally do 30-40 page short stories, poetry, and am now working on a zine) but I really want to do a long-term project.

So hopefully I'll be back with a working title, and a general idea of what I'm writing about!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#3 of 24 Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm in, but not this week. I really need some motivation, given that I've been working on the same novel (well, not working on the same novel) since I was 15, and that I was moaning to DH just last night about how I'm creatively and intellectually stagnating and likely to wake up one day realising I'm 30 and have done nothing more artistic with my life than producing a superbly uniform batch of cupcakes.

But this week, I have a ton of things to do which I've been putting off forever... like filling out the baby's birth certificate, for example. So give me a week, and then start nagging me, and I will be forever grateful!

The novel in question, BTW, is vastly outside the scope of my knowledge, research and writing skills. I expect it'll take me a lifetime before I get it completed to anywhere near the way I want it to be, so this challenge will simply be to complete the first draft. I have chunks, a vague plot, a whole heck of a lot of notes... but I don't have the whole thing written out, A to Z, you know? If I can do that, it'll be a major accomplishment for me! I don't even care about making the writing good at this stage, I just want it to be there. You know?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 24 Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
The novel in question, BTW, is vastly outside the scope of my knowledge, research and writing skills. I expect it'll take me a lifetime before I get it completed to anywhere near the way I want it to be, so this challenge will simply be to complete the first draft. I have chunks, a vague plot, a whole heck of a lot of notes... but I don't have the whole thing written out, A to Z, you know? If I can do that, it'll be a major accomplishment for me! I don't even care about making the writing good at this stage, I just want it to be there. You know?
That's kinda the point I'm at. My book pertains to a period in history that I am not extremely familiar with, so I'm doing lots of research right now!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#5 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM

Wow, what a great idea. I have had ideas floating around, and after reading a rather good book but with a bad opinon of extended BFing, and BFing period.

So now I want to write a book where the characters are AP, Bf, etc. I've been reading and going, now is that realistic, etc.

So, I'll come back in a week or so with my idea.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#6 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy that people are interested... :
Right now I'm sorting out my own ideas, and by this weekend will try to single out a topic on which to concentrate...

I'll be back then.

#7 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Great idea! Is this for novels only? My current project is nonfiction, but it will be awhile before I actually start *writing* anything. I have a lot more research to do first... But I could totally use some motivation to keep me at it.
#8 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
Great idea! Is this for novels only? My current project is nonfiction, but it will be awhile before I actually start *writing* anything. I have a lot more research to do first... But I could totally use some motivation to keep me at it.
Ditto that question. My current project is a book of poetry and prose for moms and daughters.
#9 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Any writing project will do.
Welcome

#10 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 PM

I might use this to keep up with my zine instead, since that's my most immediate project. I'll still try to check in with updates on my research for my novel, but I'm not ready to start wrinting it yet.

#11 of 24 Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Thank you for this great idea! My project is putting down on paper the process of my brother's illness and death. I am putting it on this blog:

http://www.letterstoabrotherdying.blogspot.com/

it is VERY choppy and unedited at this point. Right now I'm just trying to get it all out, get it all 'down on paper' (or 'on computer' as it were.....) so I don't forget it.

My goal at this point is to simply write about him/the experience everyday.
#12 of 24 Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM

#13 of 24 Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Yes! MORE BUTT KICKING please!!

1. Pick ONE project, and give a working title.
The title of my zine is The Road Less Travel. It is an AP/NFL zine.

2. Post page count and how you feel about progress.
Progress is slow but sure. My goal is to put out my first issue on June 1st. I want to put out issues bi-weekly, and have FOUR issues ready by June 1st.

3. You may share the details, or you can give us just a general outline.

Right now I am in the process of interviewing birth professionals for the first few issues (each issue will contain one interview). I am also looking for healthy recipes-- maybe a TF, veg*n, and allergy-sensitive recipe in each issue, as well as something that's fun to make with school-aged kids. I am including a few of my own comics in each as well.

I am working on the layout for my zine, as well as looking into ideas for advertising.

I also want to include a debate issue, a "what worked for you" type thing, featured artwork, WAHM ads, family blog ads, and short stories (which I may have to solicit on this board!)

I'm also trying to work out a system-- Free zine to contributers, making sure everyone gets the proper credit for their work, etc.

4. Pay attention to what others are working on, and encourage them to stay with their projects until they are done.
Anyone else?

#14 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 AM

Can I join? I need to do a bit of reflexion on title, content, etc. but then I'll be back to get my butt kicked (or to kick some butt)?

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#15 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Update:

I'm writing down plenty of random stories, musings, recipes, and comics. Just working on the tidbits!

#16 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Great to see people joining in.
I enjoy reading updates, and seeing that so many are starting fresh projects.
Tapmilmom, that's a very touching project...

I'm still taking it slow and sorting out through ideas to pick one and dive in. I hope to stay busy with writing this summer. A few ideas: a collection of stories about faeries (which would add the pressure of illustrations if this will become my final choice), a non-fiction project that for personal reasons would never be published (since it would be a real-life account on me growing as a stepparent), and a YA novel that was in my head for ten years.

I don't want to keep pushing everything at the same time, so I'm just figuring out what to put my energy into.

Keep us posted! :

#17 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Ooh, I vote for faeries! I paint them!

#18 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 06:58 PM

How about a weekly check-in? We can post our progress for the week, the next week's goals, etc. That would give us some accountability--which would probably help motivate me.
#19 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How about a weekly check-in? We can post our progress for the week, the next week's goals, etc. That would give us some accountability--which would probably help motivate me.

#20 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
Ooh, I vote for faeries! I paint them!
I started a new story today.

#21 of 24 Old 05-14-2008, 09:00 PM

I started writing a book a few days ago.. it has been started and it is getting published. That's all I want to share right now for fear of the jynx. lol.

I don't want to go into too many details but I do want to work on it frequently and I'm not getting that done. I did work for an hour today and I'm falling asleep now so hopefully I can grab an hour tomorrow!
#22 of 24 Old 05-14-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

wow, allgirls, how exciting!

I've been out for two weeks with a flu, and today had to take DP to the ER, turns out he has pnemonia... So not much writing has been happening here... But I'm glad the thread is bumping up... Reminds me I'll need to come back.

#23 of 24 Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
wow, allgirls, how exciting!

I've been out for two weeks with a flu, and today had to take DP to the ER, turns out he has pnemonia... So not much writing has been happening here... But I'm glad the thread is bumping up... Reminds me I'll need to come back.
It is exciting..my dh doesn't even know yet...it's crazy!

Darn real life uh? Getting in the way of work...I am trying to be disciplined and even when I'm not actually writing I'm jotting down notes and ideas that may make it into this book (or the next)
#24 of 24 Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 AM

I always need a kick in the pants. I tend to work best under a deadline but then I feel very stressed and my health suffers (headaches). I really wish I could be more reasonable with how I allocate my time but then I get sucked into the internet (MDC). Sure would be better if I could give myself a timer on internet time! I don't need an internet connection to do my writing, after all.

FYI, although I have ideas and drafts for novels and a completed children's book (still looking for an agent) I have published craft patterns and books. So most of what I'm doing relates to that.

Back to work!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page