Comparison of On-line Content Publications (AC, S101, eHow, Helium, Demand, etc) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long does it usually take for Demand to review your eHow articles? It was REALLY easy to submit those articles.
#32 of 41 Old 06-22-2008, 11:25 PM

My first one was about a week - since then it has been anywhere from 10 minutes (literally) to 6-7 days. They are definitely pretty easy. I had a couple of flags in the beginning (even after reading the style guide) but I think I've got them down now.
#33 of 41 Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Bah. According to Mum I don't have tax ID or a social security number. And here I was hoping that randomly being born in America might come in handy one day after all! Really makes me appreciate Suite though...
hey totally OT...but if you were born in the US you should be able to get a ss#....

tanya
#34 of 41 Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Well - I just got approved today at today.com for a photo blog for making your photos speak. I'm pretty jazzed as photography is a passion of mine.
#35 of 41 Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 AM

Jumping in... I wrote for Bella Online for over two years and made maybe $70 in that time off the affiliate links. I'd not count on it as an income stream unless you write for a topic where you can use loads of affiliate links, like if you're regularly reviewing books or something. It is good for having a notch on the writing resume though as it's considered relatively respectable. I never wrote e-books; too time consuming plus I was working on a print book on my subject, but I do think a lot of the writers there were earning some decent income on the e-books. They also have recently adopted a focus on helping out new writers so I would highly recommend them for beginners.

I currently write for About.com and they have a minimum pay of $725 a month for new writers, which goes up with traffic, but they are really strict and you have to have documented experience in the subject you're writing about. But having written for Bella Online on the same topic for two years helped me get in the door...
#36 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Darn it! That is really annoying that places like AC and Helium aren't taking submissions from outside the US. They really should make that more clear. When I opened my account they asked what country I was in and I answered Canada. Once they have that inof a little dialogue box should pop up to let you know that you won't get paid for submissions.

I am in the beginnings of getting a freelance career going and I had thought that AC and Helium were the perfect places to get my feet wet.

So, how tough is it for newbies to get their writing into places like Suite and Demand?
#37 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 PM

Hold on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by From AC'c FAQ
Why can't I submit content for Upfront Payment Review?
You may be unable to submit content for Upfront Payment for one of the following reasons:
1. You are under 18 years old.
2. You are not a citizen or legal resident of the United States.
3. You selected a submission template for a type of content for which we do not offer Upfront Payment (video, audio, slideshow or short story/prose).
It looks like as a Canadian writer I don't qualify for upfront payment but I can still submit and receive Performance Payment.

I'm going to email them to clarify.
#38 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirthfulmum View Post
So, how tough is it for newbies to get their writing into places like Suite and Demand?
I applied and was accepted at Demand easily. I do not write for them though.

I found Suite to be easy to get accepted into, provided you write in their house style. The application *I think* requires two submission pieces of 400 words. It needs to be tightly focused and written in third person.

Suite does take writers from around the world, but is based in Canada.
#39 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM

hey mirthfulmum, glad to see you hanging around here too!
I'm also debating suite 101. Now that dd is going to bed earlier I am hoping to have more writing time. I love doing articles for paper-based publications, but I also like the consistency of writing for the same place.

And of course, they accept Canadians.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#40 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 PM

For those that write for DS, there is a Yahoo Group now - if you want the link send me a PM.

I found it easy to get in to DS and I was accepted to Suite on my first try - as long as you put the time in to get good sample pieces and read all the information files for Suite, you should be easily accepted.
#41 of 41 Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
hey totally OT...but if you were born in the US you should be able to get a ss#....
Really? How? If I did, would I be able to write for Demand and get paid?

I really hate this US-centric writing world sometimes. It's online content, why does it matter where we live as long as we have a good command of the English language? Okay, probably tax or something. But still though.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page