Comparison of On-line Content Publications (AC, S101, eHow, Helium, Demand, etc) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In light of some of the recent questions about on-line content sites, I thought I'd put together an at-a-glance comparison. Many of these sites have different advantages/disadvantages and perhaps this post will help people match the writing site best suited to their interests.

These are the sites that I have either written for or looked in to in the past. If you notice that any information is incorrect or if you can add any information, I would appreciate it. Some of these sites I am not all that familiar with. Also, if you know of any similar site, feel free to tack in on.

Payment: Two possibilities. All articles for newbies earn money for the number of page views - rate $1.50 per 1000 views, experienced writers for AC earn up to $2/1000 views. Additionally, some articles of "high-quality, unique and search-oriented content " may be offered an additional upfront payment.
Acceptance of Writers: Must be US resident
Style Requirements: None.
Copyright Ownership: Can opt to grant AC exlusive rights, shared rights, or display only
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue: Yearly awards acknowledge high performance writers and high quality writers. May be feartured on the front page.
Interaction with Editorial Staff: Limited. Unknown Content Manager provides offers on payment. On occasion, title may be edited. No editor provides critique of writing.
Interaction with Fellow Writers: Active and social forums
Deadlines: Only if you respond to a "Call for Content" where AC asks for a specific article.
Of note:

Payment:None, though you have the potential to earn through affiliate links.
Acceptance of Writers: Application to a specific topic required
Style Requirements: ?
Copyright Ownership: shared
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue: None
Interaction with Editorial Staff: Intense training program and support provided to writers. Serves as a great educational experience.
Interaction with Fellow Writers: None
Deadlines: weekely
Of note:

Payment: Upfront payment only, paid weekly via paypal
Acceptance of Writers: Must provide a resume and sample of work
Style Requirements: Depends on which articles you write
Copyright Ownership: Exclusively Demand, forfeit all writer rights
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue:
Interaction with Editorial Staff: Limited, only for corrections
Interaction with Fellow Writers: None
Deadlines: [/B]?
Of note:

Payment: Portion of the ad revenue from your articles
Acceptance of Writers: US residents only
Style Requirements: Must be a "How To" article with steps
Copyright Ownership: ?
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue: ?
Interaction with Editorial Staff: ?
Interaction with Fellow Writers: Forum
Deadlines: None
Of note:

Acceptance of Writers: US resident
Style Requirements: None
Copyright Ownership: Writer retains all rights
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue: ?
Interaction with Editorial Staff: ?
Interaction with Fellow Writers: Forum
Deadlines: ?
Of note:

Acceptance of Writers: Must submit application with two writing samples
Style Requirements: Clear "house style" of writing that enhances keywording and SEO. Third person only.
Copyright Ownership: Web publication for first year exclusive to Suite. After that year, exclusive to the writer. Can be published in print at any point.
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue: Can be promoted to Feature Writer which increases your earnings. Increases in percentage earned as articles increase. Acknowledged with on-going "Editors Choice Awards."
Interaction with Editorial Staff: Editors on staff will provide suggestions and monitor progress. Periodic reviews by the associate editor.
Interaction with Fellow Writers: Forums
Deadlines: Contributing Writers must submit 10 articles every three months. Feature Writers must submit one article and one blog per week.
Of note:

PAID BLOGGING SITES:
http://www.today.com/register-new
#2 of 41 Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 PM

Great post Jenny!
#3 of 41 Old 05-08-2008, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, if you can add any info on Demand, let me know.
#4 of 41 Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
Thanks, if you can add any info on Demand, let me know.
I don't see any way to interact with fellow writers and I'm not sure about editors yet as I've only submitted a couple and they are pending. That's about all that I can add for now.
#5 of 41 Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Demand doesn't really have a way to interact with fellow writers that I'm aware of. Editors review your work and send it back if they need corrections, via the website interface. There's not much communication back and forth, but they pay well and on time - weekly via Paypal.

If you're already writing for eHow or one of the other agencies they work with (not sure what they are...I think WRG is one), you might want to consider writing through Demand instead if you need an upfront amount per article.

Today.com has been hiring bloggers lately, as well...$5 per 100 word post, one post per day. Might be worth checking out.

HTH

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#6 of 41 Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Sandi.

I think the weekly payment from Demand might be an aspect that some writers would find appealing (rather than waiting monthly).

I saw today.com posted at another site. Right now it seems as if they aren't hiring bloggers. I'll keep checking and add it to the list if registration opens.
#7 of 41 Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Here's the link to apply at today.com. It says they're taking up to 30 days to approve new bloggers, but they're hiring

http://www.today.com/register-new

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#8 of 41 Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, Sandi. The people on the other writer's forum I visited had been told earlier this week that they were no longer accepting paid bloggers. Even now, when I go to the homepage and click on blogging, it comes up "Public Registration Closed." I am a little confused on what I am supposed to click on from the home page to be taken to the link you posted.
#9 of 41 Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 AM

You can't get to it from the home page They've had ads up through several writers' market lists over the past few weeks, with this link posted. That's how I found it. I just applied and got accepted last week. It's worth a try, at least...maybe they've since closed applications, but it's not obvious from this page. I dunno.

#10 of 41 Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wri/676885093.html

Looks like they're hiring for "celebrity" bloggers and "poker" bloggers only at this point.

#11 of 41 Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvsquared View Post
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wri/676885093.html

Looks like they're hiring for "celebrity" bloggers and "poker" bloggers only at this point.
Oh cool, I started my own poker blog about two weeks ago but haven't had time to tweak it, etc so I went ahead and applied for the today.com poker blogger. I picked the name PokerMom. It could take up to 30 days to hear back, fingers crossed!
#12 of 41 Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 AM

Wow I already heard back from today.com, that was quick! I was approved for my pokermom blog.
#13 of 41 Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 PM

pokermom- what a niche! it looks like pokemon congrats
#14 of 41 Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
pokermom- what a niche! it looks like pokemon congrats
Thanks Lisa.

I like the format because it is something I enjoy from a hobby-standpoint (poker) and blogging about it is so easy. It's nice to have a "foo foo" blog.
#15 of 41 Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Anyone have any experience with Bella Online? I just applied for the pregnancy topic but there are several available. It likes like income is pureply through affiliate links which I'm not sure what I think about. I wonder what the actual potential income is for a "topic editor" there.
#16 of 41 Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM

Bella- I haven't been there, but I think if you were allowed to link away to your work on a better paying site you'd do well. Just making your web bigger.

Demand- Loving it. Loving the weekly pay. received $870 in the past 30 days- and could have done more if I'd worked harder.
#17 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lisarussell: Holy moly, that's a lot of cash! Congratulations! I just had a quick look at the 'Apply' page. It does say you have to be a US resident or citizen, but I might possibly qualify (if you're born in America, does that automatically make you a US citizen, even if your parents got you an Australian citizenship certificate... anyone?).

From the sounds of it, you can't just randomly decide to write an article for them, they have to send you a 'We want a 400-word essay on beekeeping'-type assignment to you--correct? Can you tell me vaguely how much they pay for an article about... whatever?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#18 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 PM

I applied to demandstudios and I got accepted for ehow articles which all look like $15 per article. I'll try a couple and see what happens - I didn't like any of the options available so I suggested two of my own I can easily write fairly quickly. We'll see what happens. Lisa - Congrats! Are you only writing ehow articles or getting other assignments as well?

I did a bit more snooping and it seems that BellaOnline basically pays it's editors (the writers) ONLY through affiliated links and such. But that the writers get 100%. Kind of like squidoo lenses but way better rankings and coordination. I also noticed they sell ebooks written by their editors on the website and stuff too. I imagine most of the editors there use BellaOnline as one of many streams of income.

Anyway - there were a lot of interesting looking topics available. I selected Pregnancy because I haven't done too many articles on Sutie101 in that topic but have LOTS I could write about. :-)
#19 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Smokering - You need a Social Security or Tax ID Number to write for Demand Studios.

Ang - You should hear back within a week on your suggested assignments. I have had suggested assignments approved within hours and others take about 6-7 days. They seem to release new topics mid to late week and they do go relatively quickly depending on the subject.

I've been writing for them for almost a month and have 40 articles (or thereabouts) - I started off slowly but the past few weeks have been trying to get more done as I had a $2300 a/c repair.
#20 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Lisarussell: Holy moly, that's a lot of cash! Congratulations! I just had a quick look at the 'Apply' page. It does say you have to be a US resident or citizen, but I might possibly qualify (if you're born in America, does that automatically make you a US citizen, even if your parents got you an Australian citizenship certificate... anyone?).

From the sounds of it, you can't just randomly decide to write an article for them, they have to send you a 'We want a 400-word essay on beekeeping'-type assignment to you--correct? Can you tell me vaguely how much they pay for an article about... whatever?
Each article starts with "How to..." They don't accept recipes, but I got one "How to make homemade teething biscuits" accepted. Each article pays $15

You're approved for 5/week to begin with, then if they're all accepted you move up to 20. I actually screwed up in the beginning, didn't read the rules and had so many edits I was demoted to 15 articles at a time. Last week I got lucky- fast title approval & fast writing means that I have almost 25 articles awaiting pay with almost 48 hours left to write. I just wish they'd approve or reject faster.

They DO have a list of titles you can choose from if you don't want to wait for acceptance. Like "how to change the transmission on a 97 buick regal" or how about "how to file a temporary power of attorney for a disabled orphan in Micronesia" really obscure things- sometimes I try to go through the list and then I realize- no way in heck is it worth $15 to figure all that out.

Here's a link to my titles - on three pages
http://www.ehow.com/members/DS_LisaR...-articles.html

I've been writing for them for 2 months now.

Bella Online- thanks for the info. I think I"ll give it a try!

edited to say- I did it, I applied for Budget Decor. I'm cheap and my house is cute, so I am sure I'll be able to keep it full. Plus, I'm moving soon, so I'll be decorating. Imagine that.
#21 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 PM

I just looked through your articles Lisa - I tried to pick up that CranioSacral article and I got an error when I clicked, when I refreshed it was gone. =P
#22 of 41 Old 06-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
I just looked through your articles Lisa - I tried to pick up that CranioSacral article and I got an error when I clicked, when I refreshed it was gone. =P
how funny- I swiped it away.

I had one I suggested & claimed & lost because I went on vacation- how to twist a cloth diaper. Did you take it, because it's gone. I always twist the diaper between the legs so walking babies don't get bow legged. it's good for newborns, too because their legs aren't splayed. I even took my own pictures (for once)
#23 of 41 Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Nope wasn't me. We only used fitteds, had that bow-legged thing happening hehe
#24 of 41 Old 06-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks for this thread, Jenny. It's great. Unfort. I'm disqualified from the sites like Demand bc of my non-US status : It wasn't explicit about that so I went and filled the whole form in, and found when I got to the terms and conditions that that was one of them. Oh well, it got me to get my 'writer's c.v' in gear

Have gone onto Today and applied for a blog. Don't think my chances are great as I don't really do anything 'commercial'...I'm aiming for the yoga angle, but with a twist of juggling with motherhood, trying to find balance and apply what i'm teaching, etc etc.
#25 of 41 Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bah. According to Mum I don't have tax ID or a social security number. And here I was hoping that randomly being born in America might come in handy one day after all! Really makes me appreciate Suite though...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 41 Old 06-16-2008, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the tips Lisa! I suggested two articles since I didn't like what was available and have already heard back with a positive response! I will test it out and see how it goes. I chose topics I'm very familiar with and can write quickly and easily. :-)

Thanks - Angela <><
#27 of 41 Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

Of the sites listed, which ones do you think has better information for improving your writing (stats, search listings, etc)?

I had been writing for AC but since all I get is the number of hits per article, I haven't put in too much effort. With my blog I can see what search strings people are using to get there and I think that is really helpful.

The other thing I hate about AC is the lack of editing ability. Not that I want to change the words but I think of related articles where I could add links but since I can't edit, I never write them.
#28 of 41 Old 06-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
Of the sites listed, which ones do you think has better information for improving your writing (stats, search listings, etc)?

I had been writing for AC but since all I get is the number of hits per article, I haven't put in too much effort. With my blog I can see what search strings people are using to get there and I think that is really helpful.

The other thing I hate about AC is the lack of editing ability. Not that I want to change the words but I think of related articles where I could add links but since I can't edit, I never write them.

I started at AC and wrote for AC and Suite101 simultaniously. I now write almost predominantly for Suite101 and MUCH prefer it.

Angela <><
#29 of 41 Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 AM

I didn't realize you couldn't edit AC articles. I'm signed up there and haven't written anything for them. I have 30 articles up at Suite 101. I think that working with them has worked wonders for my writing ability. They're a great intro to SEO also. I like that they have very strict standards, I think it gives us all credibility.
#30 of 41 Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 AM

Suite101 is definitely the best for improving your web writing, communicating with other writers, etc. I pretty much stopped for AC once I started writing at Suite.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page