having a website? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm interested in finding out how many of you have blogs and how many of you have websites to promote your writing. Do you find one is better than the other? How often do you update your blog and/or website? I've heard of a free website for writers. Do any of you use a free website? Are they good for generating "click" income along with generating future interest in your upcoming article/book?
#2 of 5 Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM

My "business" website is blog-based, I use Wordpress. I also have several topical blogs that I host. I do find that I get traffic from blog to blog as well as from blog to my content sites. I have also had several offers come in from individuals looking for content who have run across my website.
#3 of 5 Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 PM

I have a wordpress based site that I use for portfolio information, and then an actual blog that I run on blogger but am switching over to wordpress. Both are hosted, though, not the free sites.

I primarily promote through ads, forums, etc., but it's nice to have a site to send potential clients to where they can see all your information at once.

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#4 of 5 Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM

It depends on what you are trying to do. I have a website and the main purpose is for editors to see my work. The secondary role is for interview subjects and PR firms to know what my style is and how I operate. I plan to start a blog at some point in the future as a way to build a platform for a book I want to do.

So basically I think you need to think about your goal - who the audience will be and what you are trying to provide.
#5 of 5 Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 AM

I have a personal blog (see signature) and an "official" website. I typically don't have people come to me through my blog (though I did in the past). I have been able to get assignments when people who saw my prof site then clicked through to my blog...hope this isn't too confusing!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page