AC writers check in here~July thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I totally think a link to your blog is acceptable. I had mine up for years and my AC link is there.
Actually, linking to a blog that links to for-profit sites is against board policy. However, I do not think they patrol that much, especially on this forum which is more slow moving.

I was specifically told we were not allowed to when asked, and I know that Lisarussell was told she had to remove her links. The only instance when you can post links to sites or blogs that contain links to profit sites is when you have an advertising package.

I am sure you would get a warning before they would consider banning you from the board though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
Actually, linking to a blog that links to for-profit sites is against board policy. However, I do not think they patrol that much, especially on this forum which is more slow moving.

I was specifically told we were not allowed to when asked, and I know that Lisarussell was told she had to remove her links. The only instance when you can post links to sites or blogs that contain links to profit sites is when you have an advertising package.

I am sure you would get a warning before they would consider banning you from the board though.
I thought this only applied if the blog was specifically a platform for making you $? I swear I was told linking to my blog which has my AC page on my profile page was acceptable? (but it's also not on the blog front page or any posts, just my profile, so maybe that's why?)

in any case you'll just get a warning. you won't be banned unless you are blatantly promoting. don't worry! :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
If you go to my blog, there is a link at the left side to my stuff. Thanks for reading!
this would be considered promoting I think.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:17 PM

This is what I was told by administration directly. I specifically asked admin if I would be allowed to link to my blog at livejournal. It is simply reflections of parenting, but it does have a link on the my profile to my Suite articles. I was told by administration that it was not allowed and was profided information on how to buy an advertising package (not financially viable for what I earn, IMO). Lisa also simply had a link to her personal blog in her siggie which linked to her articles and was told the same.

Again, I don't think it gets policed as much, but if it does get noticed you will be told to remove it.

Adding: At one point, admin ruled in on one of these threads that they would also shut entire threads down that contained links to for profit sites. So there is a small risk not only to yourself, but the threads that contain links.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I put up a new thread for August!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post11858228

Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
I am a just telling you what I was told and relating to what happened to Lisa. I specifically asked admin if I would be allowed to link to my blog at livejournal. It is simply reflections of parenting, but it does have a link on the my profile to my Suite articles. I was told by administration that it was not allowed and was profided information on how to buy an advertising package (not financially viable for what I earn, IMO). Lisa also simply had a link to her personal blog in her siggie which linked to her articles and was told the same.

Again, I don't think it gets policed as much, but if it does get noticed you will be told to remove it.
wow that's over the top! I bet two different mods told us different things. yeah it's not like we're making anything (well I don't from my blog that I get a handful of hits on a day from here when it was up!!)

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
yeah it's not like we're making anything
Hey, maybe you're not making anything but I made 4 cents last week - thank heaven, I can pay my mortgage now

joanna
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, maybe you're not making anything but I made 4 cents last week - thank heaven, I can pay my mortgage now

Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
wow that's over the top! I bet two different mods told us different things. yeah it's not like we're making anything (well I don't from my blog that I get a handful of hits on a day from here when it was up!!)
I didn't take it badly. They were very nice about it. Honestly, I assumed it was a no-no based on policies on other boards, but thought it couldn't hurt to check. There is information about it on the board policy somewhere. I will try and dig it up after I post this.

I tend to be very much a rule-follower, so that was why I asked first. It does make sense if other mamas who have on-line shops and stores have to take out advertising packages, then so should everyone. It would be very hard for them to allow this free form of advertising to only those who make less than X amount of money. I don't even know how they could do that.

You mentioned you had yours in your siggie a long time ago- perhaps that is the difference. I asked around October of 2007. Perhaps a change in policy since you inquired about it?

Quote:
Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...864&highlight=

That's where I asked. Not that it matters, but it was in December, not November.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have had my blog link (with my AC linked on my profile page) in my siggie up until a month ago or so. it's was there like that on and off for a year and a half or so.

I am positive I actually followed Heather's lead on that way back when when we got the original thread shut down way back when.

I really don't think anyone from MDC has viewed my AC page that way though, I'd bet maybe a handful if that, according to the footprint tracker on my blog anyway, but who knows?

many, many MDC mamas have personal blogs linking their businesses though (or etsy shops) that don't pay for advertising.. don't know how they will regulate it unless they are checking each one.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
many, many MDC mamas have personal blogs linking their businesses though (or etsy shops) that don't pay for advertising.. don't know how they will regulate it unless they are checking each one.
I know. It is hard to regulate. My guess is that they will eventually dis-allow anyone linking to the blog unless it's paid for since people either choose to ignore the policy or are simply unaware that it isn't permitted.

Adding - I did also ask privately about linking to my livejournal. I can't find the response to that one. The link above I was asking about a "writer's blog" that would contain links to articles.

Heather's OP doesn't address the blog issue at all. It does say not to link to articles in your siggie though. I don't know what happened back then to have the original thread shut down though.

User Tag List