AC writers check in here~July thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

From Heather's Original Thread for AC:
In accordance with the UA, please adhere to the following rules: Please do not post links to your Content Producer page or your articles, in your posts or signature. Please do not spam users in private with these links unless they have asked. If someone asks you for a link, send it to them in a private message. Swap links only in private and when solicited.

You may tell us when you have a new article posted and what it is about, but again, do not link it. There is no need to say "See my CP page for it" or "PM me for a link" and so on to self-promote, because we all know that we can check your CP page or PM you. Keep self-promotion to a minimum. All we need to know is that you wrote something new and what it's about, and if people want to, they will take the initiative to find the peice and read it. Telling us the exact name of the piece is not recommended, because that's about the same as posting the link.

Welcome to the Writing At Associated Content Thread! We love to have newbies, just join in!

Everything above from Heather's First AC Thread is important, so please read and understand!

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you would like the link to the yahoogroup please PM ErikaLeigh

WELCOME

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 42 Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

just hanging out. I think one of my articles got a showcase as I gained like 10,000 page views in a month! whoaaa!

btw does anyone know do people/sites actually buy our content from AC? (I have found some of my AC content on several websites and wondered)

anyway I haven't published anything in at least 6 weeks! : hoping to put some stuff up in my queue today.

hope all the AC mamas are well and having a fun summer!

#3 of 42 Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just got an offer out of the blue to write for this non profit site today from one of my AC articles (the Food Not Lawns one I published free!)

http://www.hugsmovement.org/
:

#4 of 42 Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM

subbing
#5 of 42 Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM

wow rainbowmoon! Congrats on all of the recent success!

Blessed to be married to my awesome husband since 2006.
Mama to Aidan Robert (Valentine's Day 2008) and Cora Ruth (3-13-2010) :
#6 of 42 Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

I submitted an article that was just rejected for upfront payment because it wasn't up to AC's high standards. I didn't think it was that great either but I was kind of curious how crappy an article I could submit. So I could revise and resubmit or I could submit for performance only. The perfectionist in me is getting in the way of writing for AC. I don't want to spend too much time at an article since the pay is so low but I also don't want my name associated with garbage.
#7 of 42 Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I would resubmit for payment. I am no longer letting AC publish my work free as they always seem to use them (my rejected work) for showcases. pretty shady if you ask me! So if they are good enough for a showcase, then they are good enough for upfront pay! it's not like they are paying the big bucks!

#8 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM

I'm new to all this so please bear with my newbie questions.

I submitted 3 articles to AC so far and 2 have been accepted for performance pay and 1 I'm still waiting to hear on. My long term goal is to be able to help out our family's finances with some 'real' sized money. Could anybody tell me what I can expect here. (I'm not expecting much -- I'm thinking this might be more of a stepping stone where I can practice and refer back to "published" content as hopefully other opportunities arise down the road?)

I'm nervous about the self-promoting aspect. I've never had a myspace page. Do people put their real names out there - because it doesn't make much sense unless your real name is prominent for by-line and self promotion. But before I turned off all the IM software on my computer I got wierdos sending me ims referring to my area and I thought I had hidden all my personal info. I feel wierd about having my real self out there on the web. paranoid?

Has anybody gone from AC to submitting for print articles? Do you ever reference AC articles or do you chaulk it up for experience only? I'm overwhelmed by the amount of content/freelance/etc opportunities out there and I'm trying to navigate a path that works for me, doesn't exceed my current abilities, but helps me build toward something with some potential. kwim? any advice appreciated.
#9 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 PM

Hi I just submitted my first article to AC about 10 minutes ago. Hopefully it will get accepted, but I'm planning on writing more either way.

Question for the more more experienced AC writers - is it better to choose to have the upfront pay and performance pay with the longer review time or just the performance pay that goes up quicker? I'm a little confused on why they have two different ways to submit it.

Liz

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#10 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

OK, I'm lazy... would someone mind helping me out here? I have just discovered this AC and I'm unclear on how it works. I'd love a quick overview so I don't have to read all the thousands of FAQs on the site. I'm gathering it is a place to submit stuff without the bother of queries and rejection letters, which you then may or may not get a dollar or two for. Is that right? I'd love to hear the pros and cons that you guys are experiencing.

Thanks!

joanna
#11 of 42 Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
OK, I'm lazy... would someone mind helping me out here? I have just discovered this AC and I'm unclear on how it works. I'd love a quick overview so I don't have to read all the thousands of FAQs on the site. I'm gathering it is a place to submit stuff without the bother of queries and rejection letters, which you then may or may not get a dollar or two for. Is that right? I'd love to hear the pros and cons that you guys are experiencing.

Thanks!
Here is a quick summary of AC taken from this thread:

Payment: Two possibilities. All articles earn money for the number of page views - rate $1.50 per 1000 views for beginning writers (may earn up to $2.00 per 1000 has you receive higher page views). Additionally, some articles of "high-quality, unique and search-oriented content " may be offered an additional upfront payment.
Acceptance of Writers: Must be US resident and 13 years of age (I think)
Style Requirements: None.
Copyright Ownership: Can opt to grant AC exlusive rights, shared rights, or display only
Promotion/Acknowledgements/Opportunity to Increase Revenue: Yearly awards acknowledge high performance writers and high quality writers. May be featured on the front page.
Interaction with Editorial Staff: Limited. Unknown Content Manager provides offers on payment. On occasion, title may be edited. No editor provides critique of writing.
Interaction with Fellow Writers: Active and social forums
Deadlines: Only if you respond to a "Call for Content" where AC asks for a specific article.

As far as payment, it really can very. When I wrote there several months ago, I was averaging $7.00 plus the performance pay. I think it has gone done and most people average around $4-$5. If the content is already heavily covered on the internet, you can may not get any upfront payment at all.

I do wonder if when you start writing initially if they pay a little more.That's just conjecture though.
#12 of 42 Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Thank you! I have been researching so much the last two days - reading posts and blogs and who knows what - that my head is swimming. One thing I've learnt for sure: It takes a lot more to earn money as a writer than just sitting down to write

joanna
#13 of 42 Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM

So I don't go crazy checking my status every 5 minutes, how long does it generally take for AC to get back to about publishing/rejecting your submission?

joanna
#14 of 42 Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Anywhere from a few days to two weeks.

I think that you said you were publishing a fictional piece, correct? If that is the case, most likely they will reject it from upfront payment (I don't think they pay for anything fictional or poetry/prose), but offer to publish for performance pay only (starting rate of $1.50 per 1000 views). I don't think AC will reject anything for performance pay, provided it isn't libelous or plaigarism (and even then it might get by). I would also advise you to retain the rights of the work, but that's JMO.

Good luck!
#15 of 42 Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM

So, I shouldn't plan my book tour when they accept it?

I chose non-exclusive - is that what you mean? Or should I have done display-only?

joanna
#16 of 42 Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 AM

I started writing for AC at the beginning of July. I submitted one piece to gauge what the payments were like and how long it would take for them to get back. It's weird how an offer of $3.44 can brighten your day! I like that they deposit straight to paypal too.
Do people often refer to their work on AC when putting together a freelance portfolio? I think my best skill is in technical and business writing and I haven't had a need to use my AC work to promote my business.
Thanks for the thread to keep up with other writers and discuss!
#17 of 42 Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Do people often refer to their work on AC when putting together a freelance portfolio?
I think it's all a matter of your preference. I know that some do, others don't. You will need to decide if you think it is a good idea or not.

Personally, I do not use any of my previously published AC work as a reference.
#18 of 42 Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 PM

I just got 2 of my 3 stories published on AC. I know this isn't really a big deal but it's the first time I've ever seen my own stuff in print and that makes me . Please PM me if you'd like the links.

Thanks for your support!

Edited to say: all 3 are published now.

joanna
#19 of 42 Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 AM

me again...
Do you veteran AC'ers promote your CP through all the offered ways? This world is so new to me I don't even know how those things work. Please explain it to me and if you have any advice I'd love ya forever!
Thanks.

joanna
#20 of 42 Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM

So far, (and I'm not a veteran by a long shot) I set-up a profile at Digg and I promote that way and by adding friends and family to my email list. So, no, I don't do everything...yet. I wanted to get started and slowly gain momentum if it's needed. Others probably do it differently.
#21 of 42 Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Hi Jessica - I guess I'll do some more research to see what works best for me for when I actually have some articles that more $ potential.

(did I mention you made my day... Thanks so much for reading - and commenting - on my fledgling blog and AC stuff.)

joanna
#22 of 42 Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM

Hi AC writers - I'm working on finishing up the last 10 articles I need to have a total of 100 articles at AC, then I probably won't write for them for a bit, if at all. It's getting harder to justify with how little they pay, but for some reason, I want to have 100 articles there. I must have some OCD. But, I seriously had difficulties giving AC my article that I wrote for them tonight, knowing that it would probably fare better at Suite. I'm sticking to product reviews for the last 10. Those are a little easier to part with.

J.Lucy - I don't promote at all anymore. I used to, but the time and effort seemed to not get me too much. I also get a ton of spam now (as if I didn't get enough before) from all the social bookmarking sites I signed up for when I was doing it. I think I got put on lots of junk e-mail lists. Sigh.

Pm me your AC link. I'd be happy to read your articles!
#23 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 05:42 AM

I think promoting your work is really critical if you are not writing articles that arehighly searchable and written with strong SEO (search enging optimization) and keywording. I have found that keywording and SEO are much more important that social bookmarking sites. Most of my articles when I google them with the most relevent terms put me on the front 1-2 pages of google.

If you do not know much about how to write searchable articles, how to use keywords in titles/subtitles, then I do think social promotion is critical to increased performance. However, what I have found is that social bookmarking sites may only give me a few extra hits a month (at Suite we can actually see how people are finding us). I did use onlywire (see link for my original directions on how to set it up). It is a bookmarking site that bookmarks over 20 different other bookmarking sites at once, many of which are featured on the AC page. When I was at AC, I would onlywire and digg my stuff. That was it because I didn't want to get too involved in that process.

I do think at AC the best way to increase your PV if you do not know much about keywording is by inner-networking. Commenting on others pieces, letting them know you are subscribing to their publications, etc. Most people will return the favor. My issue was that all of that was very time consuming, and it only helped increase PV initially. An article would perform well immediately upon publishing, then flatline.
#24 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post

Pm me your AC link. I'd be happy to read your articles!
If you go to my blog, there is a link at the left side to my stuff. Thanks for reading!

joanna
#25 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evies_mom View Post
If you do not know much about how to write searchable articles, how to use keywords in titles/subtitles, then I do think social promotion is critical to increased performance.
OK, here lies my problem... twofold:
1. I know nothing about writing searchable articles
2. I don't WANT to write searchable articles

My interest is in creative non-fiction. I have a few ideas for how-to or informational articles but in general I want to write about subjects are just for a good read or informational in a non-commercial way. If anyone is familiar with the magazine Brain, Child, that is the kind of thing... essays, I guess you would call them.

Are there ways to promote this kind of article (other than social promotion)? For example, if I wrote something on the language barrier between my British father and teenage-just-come-to-America me, who would ever search for such a thing?

joanna
#26 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Are there ways to promote this kind of article (other than social promotion)?
Hmm... Not that I know of, but my knowledge of that is really limited. Anyone else know?

I would question if web publication is the proper platform for you then. I've been taught that 90-95% of your hits should be coming from internet searches. I realize you are just beginning, and perhaps you need some confidence boost before you try print media, but honestly I think that may be the better avenue for you. JMO, but you write beautifully and I think it is a shame to share your rights with AC if you will not get significant profit from them. You could literally be working for pennies, and your writing deserves so very much more than that. The other possibility would be to be a site that pays for you to blog. Lisarussell may have more info on that than I can share with you though.

Best of luck to you!

Also - just as a heads up, I was told when I asked admin if I could link to a blog that contained a link to my publications that I profit from by page views, I was not allowed to do so. I also know that other writers who had those links removed from their siggies. The only way you can do that is if you pay for an advertising package. I guess the rule is you may only link to non-profit sites that contain no links to other sites from which you profit. It's a bummer. They might not catch it for a while, but if they do they will reprimand you for it.
#27 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Jenny,
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just go ahead and remove it just in case.

Thanks for the compliment. I have been beginning to think that maybe I am heading down the wrong road with online stuff. But maybe I could get some ideas rolling for searchable stuff and keep trying for print with the other.

Something serendipitous happened today - we had a festival in our downtown and the very magazine that I had been tearing my house a part to find yesterday so I could get an email address to query them (they don't have a website) had a booth there and THE editor was too. I introduced myself (unfortunately with ice cream dripping down my hand) and she told me how she likes to get freelancers on board. I'm going to write to her right now. I've heard local mags are a very good in. Wish me luck.

joanna
#28 of 42 Old 08-04-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I never promote and am happy with my AC page. I do use it as a sort of resume at times and it works for me! :

I totally think a link to your blog is acceptable. I had mine up for years and my AC link is there.

#29 of 42 Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I never promote and am happy with my AC page. I do use it as a sort of resume at times and it works for me! :
Are you just found through keywords then?

joanna
#30 of 42 Old 08-04-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

yup!! though i don't really care about page views much. oh and I rarely spend more than 15 min on an article for there. I am considering rewriting and expanding many of them for print though,
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
Are you just found through keywords then?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page