How does one make money off blogs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know, ads. But I'm a thicko--how does it work, exactly? Do you have to contact advertisers yourself, or does Google do it all for you and then mysteriously drop coins through your letter flap? I don't get it.

DH has a blog with Wordpress and doesn't make a dime--I think it's against his principles anyway. Ads don't appear on his blog. Does that mean he deselected the 'ads' option... or something...?

If someone could explain it to me in a painstaking blow-by-blow way, I'd be very grateful. : If someone could give me a hint as to how much money someone makes from someone's blog, I'd be even more grateful to someone.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Usually if your site is generating enough traffic to be interesting to companies that want to advertise with you they will contact you or you can put up "for sale" signs in the spaces where you would put the ads to try to drum up interest. I think there also may be companies that are Pay per click that you can easily get an icon put on your website linking to the paying company's site and they would pay you for every click that went through your site to their's.
#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM

kontera is a company that puts random text link ads on your site, you can sign up with them. you install a code and random words will periodically light up with a link to an advertiser. i removed Kontera when I hovered over the word "baby" and it said "Buy Baby Here. Baby On Sale."

there are also companies who will pay you to talk about their website or company. You can hook up with them through payperclick or smorty, and several other agencies that connect bloggers and companies.

I don't think it's bad unless you suck at it. And I'm not saying I don't suck at it either. They don't tell you what to write, they don't force you to say nice things. If the site completely sucks and you want to say that, you can.

I try not to write about things that are irrelevant to my site. I did a few insurance ones and it was just strange. I would never talk about insurance kindly in real life.

I look at it as a creative writing exercise. I don't think it's wrong, I think it's silly to think it's wrong. My blog has a disclosure policy posted. I wouldn't send traffic to a site that I thought would be harmful to people. How harmful can a site be, though? Honestly, this is the Internet and we're mostly all adults here.

Google adsense is popular, too.

It's not just money to be made, I've gotten free products to write about, too. I don't think it's a big deal, I write about products anyways, when I have something to say.

There are other opportunities to be had in blogging, but my traffic isn't big enough for some of them. Mostly, I use my blog to communicate with family and friends, remember things my kids do, and direct people to my work on other websites.
#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM

I don't believe you can place ads on a Wordpress hosted blog. I use Wordpress for all of my blogs but hosted on my own domains. I use Google Adsense plus affiliate programs through Commission Junction, Linkshare, Amazon and other companies that sell products specific to my site's content.
#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Banned

You can use google adsense with blogger though. Makes sense, it is owned by google.
#6 of 6 Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM

Talking of blogs, I just started one. I'm nervous to actually have anyone read it but the link's in my siggy if anyone is interested. I think I'm long way from placing ads... maybe after I get my first confidence shot (don't you wish they actually offered such things )

joanna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page