how do you get started? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really enjoy writing and would like to try to write more intentionally, in something other than my journal... But I feel pretty intimidated and don't know where to start. Any advice? (I'm interested in writing nonfiction, and not necessarily for publication at first, though I think that's my ultimate goal...)
#2 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM

I don't have anything to add, but I'm interested in finding out as well. I just can't get motivated to sit down and write, and I can never think of things to write about. But once I get going, no one can stop me!

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#3 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Have you checked into some web content sites like Suite101? It's a great place to start and learn about seo and keyword useage. Other similar sites are demand studios, bellaonline, and associated content.

Angela <><
#4 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 12:29 AM

Blog with a focus. Don't simply make it a personal journal, though. Pick a general topic (AP, baby clothes, organic baby food -- whatever) and get passionate. Learn to research and how to efficiently locate primary sources for your facts. Learn to find and make connections online. Learn where to find reliable news. Learn where the good blogs are about your subject, and the mainstream news sites, and the vendors and commercial interests, and the advocacy groups ... Figure out what sites are good and how to make yours even better. Learn how to approach experts for comments ...

The benefits: no pressure for deadlines, frequency ... no restrictions on subject matter or length ... Loads of opportunity to practice, polish, stretch and try. Your structure and reach can grow along with your comfort level: more links, more interaction with other bloggers, comments on other blogs to attract new readers, guest blogging, social networking ...

Hope that sparks some ideas for you. Bon voyage -- enjoy!
#5 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

What are some good blogging sites to check out? My dh & I have a family blog on Blogger, but that's about the extent of my experience...
#6 of 7 Old 10-11-2008, 03:45 AM

I have a lot on my site about how to get started with blogging and with content writing

http://www.30queries30days.com

It all came from me supporting my whole family with my writing income for about 8 months. Thank God that's over.

Now I am slacking. Hopefully everyone forgives me.

I will re-strategize and finish the site soon, I promise. Right now I'm just doing my minimums everywhere. Damn I have a lot of commitments.
#7 of 7 Old 10-13-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief View Post
What are some good blogging sites to check out? My dh & I have a family blog on Blogger, but that's about the extent of my experience...
I think the best way is by Googling things that interest you, discovering blogs you like, and surfing outward from there. You learn a lot about where to (and where not to) find things and what you think is good/not so much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page