how to get people to read your blog... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flowers: Thanks!! I just followed you on Twitter.

Annettemarie: I can share what I've learn but I'm still learning.

For starters Twitter is a social media site. Whatever that means. Basically you're socializing, networking, talking to people. A person "tweets" something..like what they're doing, some link they found, a link to their newest blog post. It's all in 140 characters or less, of course. Then others can reply back, follow their links etc.

Everyday I try to find more people with like interests to follow. Most follow me back. I think the exchange rate is like 80% will follow back. If someone follows you, you should follow them back or they may drop you (unless they look spammy, then don't bother). Then I tweet whenever I feel like it. I can tweet from the web, from text or from my fave: TweetDeck which is on my computer and organizes my tweets for me. I look at other peoples tweets and reply when I can. The main purpose being buiding relationships.

You can also retweet (RT), that is tweet what someone else has tweeted to share it with more people. Or you can ask for retweets to get your info or blog posts out there. Then there is other stuff like #followfriday where everyone suggests new people to follow; this is a good way to find new people and also get yourself out there. There is all kinds of chats they do too. All in 140 characters or less; which makes it kinda funny sometimes.

Like I said I'm new and only just beginning to undersand its potential (took me a couple weeks to even get what its purpose was). But it's boosted my readers exponentially. Just in the past week and a half that I've really been dedicating myself to it, I've had nearly 1,000 new hits from only 2-3 blog posts!
#62 of 113 Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post

Also, how did you make those lists on the blog. I would love to do something like that for my own sanity, as I love to cross stuff off master lists and our to-do eco-home lists are massive!
Whoops, left out my answer. Do you mean my To-Do lists? They are just a text/html widget that I added in WP. Then I have to add the line breaks and the strike out html to get the format I have.

Line break is BR inside the brackets (the little arrow things on my comma and period buttonson my keyboard - I think they're called brackets anyway!).
Strike out is STRIKE inside the brackets at the beginning of the text and then /STRIKE inside brackets at the end of the text. Be sure to put the / or else it will strike out everything below as well!
#63 of 113 Old 02-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info.

Funny about twitter is I joined a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out for the life of me how to "make it work". I'll go follow you back.
#64 of 113 Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM

This thread is really incredibly fascinating to me!

So I have a question about giveaways... how do you do a random selection thing to find a winner in the comments section? I was thinking I would just print out the comments, cut them individually and let my kids draw the winner out of hat... lame?

How long do you run the giveaway? Post on a Friday then giveaway Monday morning?

TIA!

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#65 of 113 Old 02-05-2009, 12:29 AM

my giveaway is a week long, and random.org is the picker. my item was supplied by one of my sponsors, i was only paid for the ad, not for the giveaway. i did that pro bono since i was nicely paid for the ad.

organic sister... i need to get that sponsor info to you. will get on that tomorow for sure.
#66 of 113 Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Talking about giveaways.... 5 Minutes for Mom hosts a yearly Ultimate Blog Party (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link or not). It's in March this year and last year there were over 1500 participants.

You can host your own giveaway through the party and they will direct the traffic to your blog.

HTH! =)
#67 of 113 Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

what can you give away as a prize?
#68 of 113 Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 AM

Does anyone participate in Works for Me Wednesday?
It's pretty well read and a good way to get some traffic. You just link to a blog post with a tip that works for you.

If you google it you can find it or pm me.
It's up every Wed.
#69 of 113 Old 02-11-2009, 04:47 AM

Have you tried using StumbleUpon? You can submit your own pages, and then when people start thumbs-uping them, they'll be shown to more people. You'll start getting a lot of traffic that way.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#70 of 113 Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Haven't read all the replies yet, but I recently added my blog link under my newly created facebook page (yes, I am in the 21st century now).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#71 of 113 Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsmomma View Post
Does anyone participate in Works for Me Wednesday?
It's pretty well read and a good way to get some traffic. You just link to a blog post with a tip that works for you.

If you google it you can find it or pm me.
It's up every Wed.
I haven't yet (though I want to). My friend erin goodman does and I am always inspired. I think if you google her name you will find her blog.

If I started to do it how would link it up to the larger group participating?
#72 of 113 Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM

You go to the original blog that hosts it and add your link to the Mr.Linky
PM me if you want the link.

Also I found this one today--hopefully I can post it--it's not mine! It's a link of giveaway posts, you just add yours
http://www.momadvice.com/blog/2009/0...9.htm#comments
#73 of 113 Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM

: my blog was started for my family and now it's just fun for me. but i do love to see what ppl have to say ect.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#74 of 113 Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the information. I hope to get some traffic for my brand new blog and I'm taking a good look at all your suggestions.
#75 of 113 Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
Whoops, left out my answer. Do you mean my To-Do lists? They are just a text/html widget that I added in WP. Then I have to add the line breaks and the strike out html to get the format I have.

Line break is BR inside the brackets (the little arrow things on my comma and period buttonson my keyboard - I think they're called brackets anyway!).
Strike out is STRIKE inside the brackets at the beginning of the text and then /STRIKE inside brackets at the end of the text. Be sure to put the / or else it will strike out everything below as well!

I like your blog look! How did you get it to look like that?!

Your post are great- good pictures and writing. Nice work!
#76 of 113 Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a big dork--I could give away my book- DOH!

My goal is
1. new design
2. tie together my blog and biz site
3. change my blog name
4. have this done by spring and have a spring book giveaway

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#77 of 113 Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 AM

wow, I am really having fun reading your blogs! (so at least the thread worked to give you guys one more reader! )

I am on twitter and I like it quite a bit but I tend to just write what pops into me head with very little thought. Funny how I never really thought of it as a micro-blog...odd but true!

I don't have a lot of followers but if anybody wants to increase their twitter fan club you can follow me and I will follow back. check out deodand.
#78 of 113 Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 AM

I just followed you on Twitter lula. I have been on Twitter for a while but have only put some effort into it these past few weeks and I have met some great mommas, contacts, learned of some great new sites, etc.
#79 of 113 Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM

i don't know if its been mentioned, but try using twitterfeed. you put in your sites feed and it automatically updates to your twitter when you write a new post.
#80 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Okay, I'm throwing this out there, and please don't be insulted by the simplicity of the advice, but this is my first week blogging, and this came as revelation to me, so I wanted to share in case it will help someone else out.

Tags! It matter very much that you attach tags to every single post, and that you attach tags that people will search for. At first, I thought that categories play the role that actually belongs to tags. My mistake!

My tag "Writing" seems to be bringing most of my traffic in (don't laugh, I have only about 15-30 people reading my blog thus far, and about 1/3 of it is you guys, I'm sure heh)

So there, in case you didn't know.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#81 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Okay, I'm throwing this out there, and please don't be insulted by the simplicity of the advice, but this is my first week blogging, and this came as revelation to me, so I wanted to share in case it will help someone else out.

Tags! It matter very much that you attach tags to every single post, and that you attach tags that people will search for. At first, I thought that categories play the role that actually belongs to tags. My mistake!

My tag "Writing" seems to be bringing most of my traffic in (don't laugh, I have only about 15-30 people reading my blog thus far, and about 1/3 of it is you guys, I'm sure heh)

So there, in case you didn't know.
I'm sorry..what are tags? Are they the same as categories?
#82 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I'm sorry..what are tags? Are they the same as categories?
I thought so as well, but I did a search, and apparently it's not the same. In WordPress it allows me to place each post into categories (and I have four to pick from at this point), and it also allows me to attach tags to each post.

Now, the categories I have are: About the Book, Personal, Advice, and Excerpts. While they are good for organizing your posts, they are limited. My tags are specific to each post, and I can add as many as fit the post and I think will be search-wise.

So.. A post with favorite quotes on writing is listed under "Advice" category, yet I attached: writing, quotes, *each author mentioned", funny quotes, writing quotes, writing tips as tags.

If I understand it correctly, tags offer you to allow broader search for your posts.

I'm sure there is a way to figure it out in the program you are using as well.

#83 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM

I can't figure it out on Blogger...I have "labels" which I show on the page as Categories.
#84 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Do you have "HELP" option there where you could type in "tag" and see what it says?

#85 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Do you have "HELP" option there where you could type in "tag" and see what it says?
It just talks about Labels
#86 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
It just talks about Labels
Okay, I'm out.
Maybe tags are only for WordPress?
Or maybe someone with Blogger can try to help you figure it out?

#87 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Yup, wordpress has both tags and categories, blogger only has labels. It's one of the reasons I want to move to WP.
#88 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Just subbing. Don't mind me. :

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#89 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Yup, wordpress has both tags and categories, blogger only has labels. It's one of the reasons I want to move to WP.
must write blogger
#90 of 113 Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM

WP won't let me use it for commercial reasons, unless I want to pay $500 a month.

I don't think blogger has those restrictions.

for intuitive readings click here :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page