how to get people to read your blog... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I have this blog that I believe only about 5 people come to...and I am doing this as a way to 'create a brand'...I went to a writer's meeting that was all about making your name/pen name your "brand" and getting it out there with blogs and websites and yada yada...so, I have this blog...and I write great things! But how do I get traffic? It's not like everyone is begging for something to visit/read. There is soooo much out there! I actually just asked my favorite author to come visit and check it out if she had a sec - is that sad or what!?! But I digress... how do you do it? Guest blog? Ok, where? Drop your link everywhere you go? Where should I go??

I am a web geek but this getting traffic thing still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe because it's really a marketing deal...

anyone?..

thanks
#2 of 113 Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM

When I first started my blog I was going crazy with this issue (as you can read in my early - July 08 - blog posts - shameless self-promotion there ). I tried researching all the social networking sites and I got so overwhelmed I had to give up. I'm not web savvy at all! What I ended up doing was just visiting other people's blogs and making comments. Little by little I started to get traffic and I have some repeats (mostly friends and family, but I'm OK with that for now). I actually get most of my traffic from MDC. I've now adopted the theory - if you build it (and they like it) they will come (back). For me, writing the blog itself is the greatest reward; seeing the traffic ticker go up is just a bonus.

I will visit your blog in depth later (wedding to get to today) - as I am an aspiring 'in print" writer (and I just noticed our children were born in the same years), I think we may have some things in common.

Good luck!

joanna
#3 of 113 Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
When I first started my blog I was going crazy with this issue (as you can read in my early - July 08 - blog posts - shameless self-promotion there ). I tried researching all the social networking sites and I got so overwhelmed I had to give up. I'm not web savvy at all! What I ended up doing was just visiting other people's blogs and making comments. Little by little I started to get traffic and I have some repeats (mostly friends and family, but I'm OK with that for now). I actually get most of my traffic from MDC. I've now adopted the theory - if you build it (and they like it) they will come (back). For me, writing the blog itself is the greatest reward; seeing the traffic ticker go up is just a bonus.

I will visit your blog in depth later (wedding to get to today) - as I am an aspiring 'in print" writer (and I just noticed our children were born in the same years), I think we may have some things in common.

Good luck!
oh, you're so kind

what is an 'in print' writer? I've been a 'closet' writer for so long I don't know any of the lingo...I'm out of the closet now
#4 of 113 Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 PM

Here is what you can do that I know works:

1. Put a link to your blog in your sig files on any forums you are a part of.

2. Write some articles for www.ezinearticles.com and put your blog's link in the byline or resource box.

3. Use blog search engines, such as the one found on Google, and connect to others' blogs. Comment them, and chances are that they will see your comment and follow the link back to your blog and read it.

Hope this helps.

I am married to my soul mate and best friend, and I am truly blessed.

#5 of 113 Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 AM

In print vs. online. I never knew there was anything but in print - I was a snob who thought writing online wasn't "real" writing.

I've been in the closet for years too - so far back, in fact, it was too dark to write anything readable . I just knew I wanted to be a writer. But the irony is, it wasn't until I began writing online that I truly had the confidence to say "I am a Writer" and believed it myself.

Read a little of your blog - I like it. I will try to squeeze some more in today.

joanna
#6 of 113 Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

I posted my favorite poem ever in one of my blog entries. I notice I am getting a lot of traffic from that one poem through people searching for it through Google searches. I mean loads of traffic :
#7 of 113 Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 PM

SEO - search engine optimization; this is a great way to generate traffic. Congrats on the traffic to your poem.
#8 of 113 Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Read a little of your blog - I like it. I will try to squeeze some more in today.
oh, wow, thank you
#9 of 113 Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguk View Post
I posted my favorite poem ever in one of my blog entries. I notice I am getting a lot of traffic from that one poem through people searching for it through Google searches. I mean loads of traffic :
nice touch...and then I can read it often too
#10 of 113 Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#11 of 113 Old 11-18-2008, 03:20 PM

I find that good content that people want is supposed to be key for getting traffic.

Yesturday I posted my first youtube video with a direct link back to my website. I know that this is about writing but I had such a writing block yesturday that I used my webcam instead of my keyboard and had video up in 15 minutes. And so far I have had eleven views. Not bad for it being up less than 24hrs and it being my first video and totally unknown.
#12 of 113 Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Do you want traffic or do you want readers? The two are different imo.

Traffic is easy to get. Just mention naked pictures of a hot celebrity and voila! Instant traffic.

I once mentioned something about being punched in the belly and was instantly the first search result for erotic belly punching (yes it exists) even though that was sooo not what I was talking about.

So sex and celebrities always bring in traffic. Mostly from people with one hand down their pants

As for readers, if you are using blogger everything you put in your profile becomes linked to other bloggers who put the same thing in their profiles. Even if you aren't using blogger it's worth it to set up a dummy account to mine those links for other bloggers. This is a great way to find like minded bloggers

Then from there, hooks, hooks, hooks. You need super catchy titles and great first lines to catch attention. I once used a title of Squid P-orn to title a book review post. Stuff like that makes people read.

ETA: Oh hey look! My 1000th post is about Squid P-orn.
HTH
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#13 of 113 Old 11-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

How do you even tell how many people are visiting your blog? I am so not good at knowing stuff like that

I get most of my "traffic" from MDC because my blog is in my siggie and the people who tend to read my blog and like it are the people who tend to like my posts. I have no idea how many people read it other than the people who tell me they do...which for now... is like, 5
#14 of 113 Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
How do you even tell how many people are visiting your blog? I am so not good at knowing stuff like that
sitemeter.com
Warning: it's addictive!

p.s. you just got bookmarked - you make me laff!

joanna
#15 of 113 Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
sitemeter.com
Warning: it's addictive!

p.s. you just got bookmarked - you make me laff!

coolness thanks!
#16 of 113 Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

awesome!
#17 of 113 Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM

I haven't done much of anything to get readers, but I have them. Somehow I got noticed by a big mainstream blog (mainstream as in, crazy popular) and they featured me, and now I guest blog there from time to time.
Also find blog carnivals to participate in, that will get you mad readers. You could join a ring too, which is another thing I did.

I still don't make hardly anything, money-wise, from my blog, but I don't care. It means more to me that people love it.

I use statcounter.com and I can see that my posts are being emailed and talked about, and I love that too. I don't like sitemeter because I can't figure out how to make it private.
#18 of 113 Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
In print vs. online. I never knew there was anything but in print - I was a snob who thought writing online wasn't "real" writing.

I've been in the closet for years too - so far back, in fact, it was too dark to write anything readable . I just knew I wanted to be a writer. But the irony is, it wasn't until I began writing online that I truly had the confidence to say "I am a Writer" and believed it myself.

I'm right there with you. In fact, I blogged about finding an email I wrote about 9 years ago with a desire to write instead of trudging along at my laboratory job that was not very creative but paid the bills.

And still, I have a need to write and express myself and I blogged about that in a post about cultivating my passion for writing.

And yes, I have shamelessly plugged my own blog twice, in the same thread.

The thing is, I like when people link to their blogs. I like seeing how other people are using blogs to express themselves.

Oh, I do have a decent readership, but I really wish more people would comment on my blogs. That's the harder part.

Sometimes just by commenting on another person's blog, you get readers too.

Oh, and check to see if your blog can be accessed through search engines (you often have to check your Settings designations). I get half of my readers from mothering message boards, and half from search engines looking for particular topics.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#19 of 113 Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post

I get most of my "traffic" from MDC because my blog is in my siggie and the people who tend to read my blog and like it are the people who tend to like my posts. I have no idea how many people read it other than the people who tell me they do...which for now... is like, 5
You can also use "Feedjit Live" to see who visits and what part of the work they are from. Click on my siggie "Zach aboard" and look on the right. It's fun!!!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#20 of 113 Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
I haven't done much of anything to get readers, but I have them. Somehow I got noticed by a big mainstream blog (mainstream as in, crazy popular) and they featured me, and now I guest blog there from time to time.
Also find blog carnivals to participate in, that will get you mad readers. You could join a ring too, which is another thing I did.

I still don't make hardly anything, money-wise, from my blog, but I don't care. It means more to me that people love it.

I use statcounter.com and I can see that my posts are being emailed and talked about, and I love that too. I don't like sitemeter because I can't figure out how to make it private.

: I love your blog!
#21 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 PM

I am a blogger and my husband is a well known blogger with 2.4 million visitors per month to his blog (Steve Pavlina). Here is what he has told me and also written in his articles for other bloggers.

1. Content. Are you writing for yourself or for others? A lot of people just blog about their lives. Unless you're a celebrity, who cares right? write content that helps others. They will refer their friends and come back often.

2. Submit your articles to blog carnivals. I actually have a guy whom I pay $25/month to submit my articles all over the place every week. That has increased my traffic a lot and saves me a ton of time.

3. EzineArticles.com is good, like previously mentioned.

4. write content that OTHER bloggers will link to. That I think was the big secret to STeve's success initially. He wrote amazing content, often controversial, that had the blogosphere buzzing! examples of articles of his that were big hits include: 10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Job, How to Give Up Coffee, How To Become an Early Riser, and How To Make Money from your Blog. Are any of these articles about how he got a puppy and potty trained him? Nuh uh. Provide real value that will benefit many and your blog traffic will grow.

5. Make sure you have an RSS feed so people can subscribe to your blog.

6. Blog at least 2-3 times per week. so people don't forget about you.

7. Use titles that search engines will index well for you.

8. Write original content. You don't want your blog to be a rehash of other people's blog material. Called Info-Crack by some, there are blogs out there where people just post links to other peopel's blogs.

This year I made a six-figure income from my blog. And my husband made 2.5 times as much as I did. I never would have thought it possible to make that kind of money from blogging. He uses an advertising model and I use a service based approach. Both can work.

Rev that blog up!
#22 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Erin- WOW!! Six figurers?! that is awesome, good for you! Great suggestions also, thank you!

oh, and what is a " service based approach?" thanks
#23 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Service based means I sell a service through my blog. I make no money on advertising, products, or affiliate programs. I write articles to educate and inspire, but in the process I am hoping people will sign up for my service. Even though only a small fraction of my visitors will utilize my service, that's fine with me. more than pays for itself.

But my husband, who sells no services, is able to make way more than I do by doing advertising, joint venture deals, affiliate programs, and even donations. Right now there is nothing you could even purchase through his site. However, his new plan is to put out some products and nix the advertising. It was his long term plan all along. He's built up a huge audience so now he can sell products to them.

Bop around his site a little if you are interested. He writes often and candidly about what he does, how he does it, how others can do it, and how much he makes doing it.
#24 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 PM

really interesting stuff mamas! I need to come back to this! I need to figure out if I can be a writer....

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#25 of 113 Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I actually get most of my traffic from MDC.
Me too!
#26 of 113 Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Here is what you can do that I know works:

1. Put a link to your blog in your sig files on any forums you are a part of.

2. Write some articles for www.ezinearticles.com and put your blog's link in the byline or resource box.

3. Use blog search engines, such as the one found on Google, and connect to others' blogs. Comment them, and chances are that they will see your comment and follow the link back to your blog and read it.

Hope this helps.
I like to do this too but have only done it sporadically here b/c i wasn't sure if it was okay. i also like to put my facebook & twitter links, for networking.
#27 of 113 Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM

If you don't earn money from your blog in any way, you can place it in your signature line for free. If you have ads or referral links, etc on your blog, you have to pay for an advertising signature.

Actually, I have more info on links and such in my FAQ that will probably help.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#28 of 113 Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM

work at home well. They have a thread about whether you can actually make money or not.
#29 of 113 Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoife View Post
If you don't earn money from your blog in any way, you can place it in your signature line for free. If you have ads or referral links, etc on your blog, you have to pay for an advertising signature.
Really? So just by using adsense you can't link to your blog? I guess I'd better change my siggy.
#30 of 113 Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Yeah , admin revised/refined that rule recently, which is why I wanted to be sure to clarify so y'all knew.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page