NaNoWriMo - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 356 Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe it!! I started this morning with over 12,000 words to go to reach 50,000 and now I have less than 3,000... if my spreadsheet word count is right.. <fingers crossed>

I've triple backed up my story and am presently copying the chapters into one single document, making notes to myself where necessary, such as: <insert lots of chapters with the missing gaps of history here> and such. praying my count will be close to, if not larger than the one on my spreadsheet.

Cannot go to sleep till I know where my word count really stands!!! Victory is so close I can taste it.. but I'll leave the last bit of writing till tomorrow! I am tired after all! lol

Kym
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 356 Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hurrah, I'm a winner! :::

I still have 2 chapters to write to finish the story, though. Argh. I might've finished it just on momentum but what I had noted down for the big showdown just isn't really logical and I need to think up a new big showdown... or at least a really good reason for things to go down how I want them to.

Anybody planning to continue working on their novel or revising soon?

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#333 of 356 Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
Hurrah, I'm a winner! :::

I still have 2 chapters to write to finish the story, though. Argh. I might've finished it just on momentum but what I had noted down for the big showdown just isn't really logical and I need to think up a new big showdown... or at least a really good reason for things to go down how I want them to.

Anybody planning to continue working on their novel or revising soon?
I will be doing this after Christmas.

:Congratulations everybody!:
#334 of 356 Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 AM

I finished and verified!! : ::::

Congrats to everyone else who finished!!! And congrats to everyone who participated even if you did not finish, starting is more than most people do!

In answer to Aufilia's question:

Since my story is only half way done, if not less, I will be continuing my writing in December.. I'm debating two separate ideas, NaNoFiMo (National Novel Finishing Month) which has a goal of 30,000 words in a month, the ultimate goal, of course being to finish the Novel started in November. The second idea is called a Novel in 90, in which the goal is to write 750 words a day for 90 days totaling 67,500 words, often this is done as a brand new story, just like NaNoWriMo, but I'd be using it to complete my novel instead. While I'm not sure my story has quite that many words left in it, the appeal of a much smaller daily goal with the Christmas coming up has me leaning towards the latter, especially since I need to try to recover my house after a month of slacking off a bit during NaNoWriMo. While I don't necessarily need either group to keep writing, having a specific goal to work towards definitely does.

If all goes well, in March I will begin NaNoEdMo or National Novel Editing Month with completed full draft, with the goal of at least 50 hours spent on editing my novel during the month.. Hopefully I won't be sick of it by then! So far my novel is an English teacher/editor's worse nightmare, since I haven't even done any spell check on the 85 pages, much less grammar, punctuation, etc.. So, it really needs editing, but I'm not in any rush to get to that any time soon, other then a little bit of rearranging of sections that were written out of order and needs to be put in their proper place.

I would love to see a continued NaNoWriMo support group for those who plan on continuing working on your stories, since you have all been so great during this month!

Kym
#335 of 356 Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM

: Congratulations winners!!!! :

I am almost to 8,000 words. I wrote those 8,000 in 3 days and the rest of the month I had to deal with a bad bought of the flu with all 5 of us, throwing Thanksgiving for 11 people by myself, my little sister being taken into custody, released, and then helping my aunt to get guardianship of her and take her 2 states away, and just overall tiredness. So 8,000 it was! And you know what I am sooo excited! It is the most I have ever written and I am in love with my story and after all this time still want to finish it! It's an early Christmas miracle!!

Congrats again to all who made it!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#336 of 356 Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Congrats, NaNo winners!
#337 of 356 Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
I would love to see a continued NaNoWriMo support group for those who plan on continuing working on your stories, since you have all been so great during this month!
I *definitely* plan on finishing my novel and love this idea! :

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#338 of 356 Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
I think that would be awesome and I'd definitely pop by.

To answer my own question, I need to finish my novel draft, which I am going to do this month. I am working on basic revisions and have sent the first 4 chapters to my local writing group to read. In the "long term" I want to have a finished draft within 4-6 months and within 6 months want to start querying agents.

#339 of 356 Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I think that would be awesome and I'd definitely pop by.

To answer my own question, I need to finish my novel draft, which I am going to do this month. I am working on basic revisions and have sent the first 4 chapters to my local writing group to read. In the "long term" I want to have a finished draft within 4-6 months and within 6 months want to start querying agents.
Wow, that's great that your novel is that good!

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#340 of 356 Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 PM

I'm planning on trying to do NaNoFiMo, since November is an insane month for me with two b-days, our anniversary and deer hunting. I got started tho!

I think a continuing support group is a great idea. Or staying here is fine with me.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#341 of 356 Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 PM

I'm planning on trying to do NaNoFiMo, since November is an insane month for me with two b-days, our anniversary and deer hunting. I got started tho!

I think a continuing support group is a great idea. Or staying here is fine with me.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#342 of 356 Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I read DH's NaNo. It's here if anyone's bored--'The Ash and the Air', about time travel and possible worlds and AI and stuff. The guy has brains.

And in a fit of quite unprecedented trust and bravery, I allowed him to read my truly horrible draft. He has quite formidable editing skills, and while I'd rather he didn't correct my grammar when I'm more worried about cobbling the general shape of the thing into something resembling an arc, his opinion will be useful. Besides, fair's fair.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#343 of 356 Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibut View Post
Wow, that's great that your novel is that good!
Oh, who knows if it's any good.... yesterday I was pretty sure it was total and complete trash and that the world would be a better place if I burned it. I'm sure I don't really have enough distance from the project to really gauge it at all.

Anyhow, I always submit everything I finish. I'm a big believer in "Never reject your own story--that's what the editor is for."

#344 of 356 Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM

I'm so bummed I missed out on doing this!!

I guess I can always do it for another month, I'm thinking January.

For those of you who do this- do you just start writing about whatever, anything on your mind and make it a story?

Are these stories that you have thought/planned about or do you just write whatever comes to you that day?
#345 of 356 Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Mine's good. It's a story I'd like to read. However maybe nobody else will like it. I don't care.

It needs a lot of work but I have the bones of a good novel. Yesterday I read a novel. Mine is better than that one and she got published

I'm putting it away until after Christmas but I will be finishing it over the winter and then looking to get published as well.
#346 of 356 Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
For those of you who do this- do you just start writing about whatever, anything on your mind and make it a story?

Are these stories that you have thought/planned about or do you just write whatever comes to you that day?
I've done it both ways...

The first time, I wrote "organically" -- I started with a character and an idea of what she might get at the end, and just wrote whatever seemed right that day.

This time, I mapped out the entire story first and wrote an outline (one paragraph per scene) ahead of time. I altered my outline now and then, but I pretty much came out with the story I had intended to write.

The latter worked better for me, but I know there are professionals who are completely organic writers and it works for them. Personally, I'm kinda an anal planner sort of person, so doing it the organic was really not the best for me.

#347 of 356 Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
It needs a lot of work but I have the bones of a good novel. Yesterday I read a novel. Mine is better than that one and she got published
That's what DH said. He was considering publishing his book, and I tactfully asked if he thought anyone would buy it. His rationale was 'Well, people read much worse books'--and I had to agree.

It turns out DH liked my novel, which is unexpected and pleasing but also a bit of a pain. I was relying on his severe criticism to show me how to rework it, so having him say 'No, it's good' wasn't terribly helpful! Still, it was nice to be able to discuss it with him, as it's been hanging round my brain since I was 17 and he never knew more than the vague plot. I think he was a tad disturbed by how dark it was, though; I get a bit macabre in a few spots, and one chapter in particular is designed to make you go 'eugh' and want to have a shower.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#348 of 356 Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM

I'm going to try to continue working on mine, it needs a lot of editing I think but I'm finding it so hard to edit it!

I have the first two chapters posted here www.livejournal.com/jeanniecee and I'm going to add more a little at a time. I'd welcome any feedback.
#349 of 356 Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM

I feel blessed to have finished the 50k but my story still needs one last chapter and then tons and tons of editing. Looks like the NaNoWriMo site will be able to stay up all year old long now, thanks to the donations. I am excited. Does anyone need an editing partner?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#350 of 356 Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Winners can get a free paperback copy of their novel through the NaNoWriMo site, just FYI.
#351 of 356 Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 PM

I'm doing NaNoFiMo as well, but I'm working on my 2007 Nanonovel instead. It's sitting at 99K and needs to be finished before Christmas because I promised my friend I would send her the complete first draft for Christmas. After it's done I will set it aside until NaNoEdMo in March, and spend January and February working on my 2008 Nano novel.

ladyinred your link doesn't work....

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#352 of 356 Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
You just need to add a tilde before the username...
www.livejournal.com/~jeanniecee

#353 of 356 Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Anyhow, I always submit everything I finish. I'm a big believer in "Never reject your own story--that's what the editor is for."
That's a really good idea, I think I'll make that my motto.

#354 of 356 Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I'm so bummed I missed out on doing this!!

I guess I can always do it for another month, I'm thinking January.

I just started writing whatever, and then once I got started I figured out a story. I still don't know how it will end though. I have ideas of what to write when I start a session, but I don't go so far as to really plan it out or anything.

#355 of 356 Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
I'm doing NaNoFiMo as well, but I'm working on my 2007 Nanonovel instead. It's sitting at 99K and needs to be finished before Christmas because I promised my friend I would send her the complete first draft for Christmas. After it's done I will set it aside until NaNoEdMo in March, and spend January and February working on my 2008 Nano novel.

Woops. I had that backwords, sorry, it's http://jeanniecee.livejournal.com
#356 of 356 Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Kontessa!

I need an editing partner! I have LOTS of material, but no idea where to start with it all. i need editing moral support and a place to start....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page