NaNoWriMo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, tomorrow starts my official countdown.

My plan for this week is...

1. Finish my character sheets. (Actually I need to start them )

2. Work on my outline.

3. Do some last minute research on archaeology.

4. Collect all my assorted scraps of paper and notes and compile them in one big notebook.

Who else is still getting ready?

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I haven't thought that much about it, but I did some random calligraphy the other night, writing out words and concepts and so on related to my story plot, to sort of get me in the mood. Very wishy-washy, I know, but hey.

My plot still needs MAJOR tweaking. That's my goal for this year--first draft down from A-Z. The writing can and will be rubbish; I won't even aim for a 'style', just 'this happened, they went there and did this'--but I hope I can really thresh out which events are supposed to go where. Then next year, I can rewrite the whole thing from a research perspective; then the year after that, from a style perspective; then the year after that, refine the themes... and so on and so on, until I eventually have something readable.

At least, that's the plan. I have an article due on 1 December, though, which will have to take priority if push comes to shove...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM

I've got an outline...chapter titles etc.

I've got the main character's name.

I'm ready to start...I'm going to set up a schedule for myself next. That's the most important thing for me...self-discipline!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM

I've got a loose idea but that's about it right now. I've got some bits and pieces rolling around in my head but nothing that's quite building-block quality yet.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
I've got a loose idea but that's about it right now. I've got some bits and pieces rolling around in my head but nothing that's quite building-block quality yet.
I didn't know we were neighbors! (in other words, I'm in the same place as you).
Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think my biggest problem right now is I need...a PLOT!!

I know who my character is and what makes her special. She is going on an archaeological adventure with her uncle/godfather. And she has some supernatural talents.

But where is she going? What will be the mystery/adventure? That I haven't thought of yet. I'm hoping it will come to me as I'm writing the first couple of chapters introducing her and telling why she has to go with her uncle/godfather.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM

I think I'm going hardcore this year - no prep. no plot. no characters. I'm just going to open myself up Friday night, and see what comes out.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM

I think that my biggest problem when writing, is thinking...no one will BELIEVE this!

I have the most amazing dreams at night. They feel REAL. Too real, sometimes. And the cool part is that they are on-going...last night's dream with lead into tonight's.

My NNWM novel is going to be about a recurrent dream. I am trying to figure out if I want to worry about "believability", or just write teh story "as-is".

Mrs B
Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 AM

My Nano is going to be awesome this year. I can feel it.

I have 18 chapters, outlined, ready to go. I have all my character's outlined. I have backstory. I have information about the different towns they will live in/travel through. I know pretty much everything that will happen, but I've also left it open enough that I can go with the flow. I think I have enough for at least 100,000, and there could even be a sequel after this.

I'm really excited. The first year, I thought I had enough plotted out and the story went to 25,000, so I really had to pad it to get to 50,000. (And really, I need to edit all that back out, take it back to about 25,000, and make it a short story. It worked better that way.)

Last year, I had enough plotted out, but it was boooooring, so it was a lot of work to get my word count. (And I think I ended it at 50,006 words. Whew!)

This year is going to be amazing! I cannot wait to get started.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwinds View Post
I think my biggest problem right now is I need...a PLOT!!

I know who my character is and what makes her special. She is going on an archaeological adventure with her uncle/godfather. And she has some supernatural talents.

But where is she going? What will be the mystery/adventure? That I haven't thought of yet. I'm hoping it will come to me as I'm writing the first couple of chapters introducing her and telling why she has to go with her uncle/godfather.
I read an older writing book a while back called "Steal this Plot" and it really helped me with this issue. Not just telling me to steal a plot but just in the way I thought about plot in general. I would come up with fun characters and "hooks" but wasn't sure what to do with them! This helped me readjust my thinking...

good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 AM

I just signed up tonight and have come up with what I think will be a decent plot... if nothing else, it should be theraputic.

I've never done something like this before, and I'm really excited to try. My user name is andothertimes on NaNoWriMo. I'd love some more writing buddies!

~Jillian
Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM

I'm MindOfKiya on there!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
I read an older writing book a while back called "Steal this Plot" and it really helped me with this issue. Not just telling me to steal a plot but just in the way I thought about plot in general. I would come up with fun characters and "hooks" but wasn't sure what to do with them! This helped me readjust my thinking...

good luck!
I'll have to see if the library has that book...thanks!

Less than three days left!! Someone kick me...I had good intentions, but I haven't done anything off my list yet!!

I'm oceanwinds on NaNoWriMo, too.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Is anyone having trouble with the NaNoWriMo site?

I can barely get on, but I can't get off the main page. My computer keeps timing out or just going to a blank white page. No other website is doing this.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:51 AM

it has been SUPER slow all day for me. i'm guess there are a ton of ppl logging on. hopefully the traffic will slow down once the writing gets into full swing.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Oh, yeah, the website always lags/hangs majorly for about 2 to 3 days before the 1st, and 3 to 4 days after. Then, it recovers itself...

Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm itching to start. I keep trying to outline, but can't get into it. I know the story is in there, I guess I'm just going to let it out as I write. This is my first year, I could use some buddies too, if anyone wants to add me, I am barefootbabies there too. GL, and enjoy everyone, only 36 hours to go...

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 PM

i've just signed up. its my first time, i've no idea if i'll manage it as we are moving this month and will be inbetween houses for a few weeks so staying with my parents. but i'm excited to try, my big problem at the moment is that i've got 3 different novel ideas. all very different and i can't decide on which one to write. its really bugging me because my decision changes with my mood ie. one is a comedy and one is dark!! and i just don't know which one to settle on. i'm worried i'll start one and then decide i want to write the other one. my head is all confused already!!

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKiya View Post
I think I'm going hardcore this year - no prep. no plot. no characters. I'm just going to open myself up Friday night, and see what comes out.
That's my plan too
Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 AM

This will be my first nanowrimo. I'm excited, but completely ill prepared. No plot, no characters, no outlines .... nothing. Maybe I'll get some amazing inspiration in my dreams tonight.

Oh, and I'm simplifyingmama on the nanowrimo site.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM

I finished NaNoWriMo last year. I really liked it. I just decided today to sign up for this year...nothing like starting from sctratch! Good luck ladies. It's a great sense of accomplishment when you get it finished. Last year I finished on the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week (whatever that date was!)

I'm off to see if I can log in!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM

OH MY GOSH!!!! It starts in a matter of hours.

I have like 10 million things to do!

So is this our official NaNoWriMo thread?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 10-31-2008, 02:48 PM

Magstphil-- is some parts of the world it has already started!! But I know what you mean..I have a million things I still want to get done before it starts, too.. but I don't know if I will get any of them done.. Not feeling well today.. think I'll take it as easy as I can for Halloween with a toddler & hopefully I'll feel better for the first day of NaNo.. when we are supposed to go to a local farm for pumpkin madness (IE pumpkin destruction day! lol) (they also have tons of slides, a hayride, animals and other neat things for the kids!) Should be fun if I'm feeling ok. and DS should crash hard after wards which is when I hope to do my writing.. If I don't crash with him!

11 hours.. 12 minutes & counting till NaNoWriMo starts!! Granted I pray I will be fast asleep then, but still very exciting!!!

Kym
Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM

Kind of OT but Kym I have to thank you- I was having the hardest time finding a name for my main character and when I read you s/n a few weeks ago it led me to Myrna.

So when I make millions of dollars off of my story I'll remember to cut you a check.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 PM

Does anyone know how to add buddies?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKiya View Post
Me too. I hope it goes well!

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Old 10-31-2008, 04:02 PM

Here and waiting to get started!

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 10-31-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Let's list all our usernames, so we can keep them straight. I'm going to start adding buddies today, if I can get the page to load...

Peppermint Poppies = simplifyingmama

JustKiya = MindOfKiya

jgracefrank = andothertimes

oceanwinds = oceanwinds

barefootbabies = barefootbabies

Anyone else want to share their usernames?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM

TandVsMom (NaNo) = VeggieMomma (MDC)
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 PM

my username is bluebellpops because someone already had bluebell.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :

User Tag List