ExH and wife not happy about Home-Ed - please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - (I posted this too in Learning at Home and Beyond, but thought folks here may have some advice/experiences to share...)

I am planning on taking my youngest DS out of school after the Easter holidays for an initial 12 week period to see how we felt. I had a meeting with ex and his wife recently to discuss the plans and general philosophies with them. Although my ex stated that he has nothing against home ed and that he would be fine with this as long as he knew they were learning and that the learning they were doing would mean that they could follow their dreams as adults, his wife is very against it. She is a very assertive woman (not a bad thing) but I feel in this issue, she actually doesnt have any decision making authority.

During our meeting, many references were made regards to removal at Easter, how we could all support DS hit the dreaded 'targets' high up before we took him out at Easter, how we could ensure that if, actually we felt school WAS the better place for him after the summer - how we could make sure he was up to speed in September if he went back.

I made sure that they knew it was intention to do this (after the cue from ex that he would have no problem as long as his concerns could be met....) and that we would share resources/info and have more meetings to include them in writing our Ed Phil. So we left on a good and postive note. I since have been chatting with DS about our new adventure and crucially - negotiated a six month unpaid leave break in my contract with a option to return on less hours (which would be totally managable as they are flexible hours). My boss has been SO understanding, and in the current work climate - more than I realistically expected.

However! - His wife called me last night with some news. She wanted to tell me that they had both been made redundant and so this will affect his child maintanence payments. So we are going to be on only my partners income. He is being wonderful about supporting me. But she Also said that DS had been talking about Home-Ed and she is worried that he will be disappointed as they had, in NO way, given 'permission' for this.

I am so confused and frustrated! I also think HE should have told me this too! He doesnt have a problem with Home-ED! She is very mainstream and authoritarian, thinking that a tight structured regime is best for the children. I think the issue is with her, not him and that is irritating.

We are meeting again next w/e to talk more, but I really really thought that we have okayed the concept and next few months would be learning and talking time.

Has anyone else been in position when they have had to 'persuade' an ex? I was only ever suggesting we took him out for 12 weeks of the summer and see how we go. She now says that my ex definately thought we we discussing next academic year, not after Easter. He was there the whole time we were talking about Easter.

I also know that they are worried about their future. In fact, I almost want to say to them that a formal education doesnt make us infallible in adulthood... My ex and his wife are very 'mainstream'.

Please help - especially I need to build my confidence to not care what she thinks when I want to proceed with discussion with ONLY ExH...
#2 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 05:09 PM

I don't have any advice for you, but I would be very unhappy about my ex's new wife being *that* involved in our decisions regarding the children. It's between you, him, and the kids! I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom.
#3 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM

I say this as a stepmom/new almost-wife (as well as someone who is a strong proponent of public education, though I know it's not right for everyone): While I do wonder whether your ex's wife was just (understandably) freaking out about losing her job, and taking it out this way, she is WAY out of line.

In her defense, it is HARD to avoid interjecting yourself into these situations, but still...you have to do it. I would not even be attending these sorts of meetings with my partner. I only become involved when it affects me very directly (which it almost never does). If it doesn't affect me directly, I might express my concern to my partner privately, but never in front of his ex (or their child).

I could see her point, if you told your ex and his wife that they would have to step up and be responsible for some homeschooling, because for them it would/could represent a big lifestyle and/or income change. And it would affect both of them. But here, nothing seems all that different for them.

One thing I recommend is a book called "Difficult Conversations." I read it for my negotiation class and it's helped me in my interactions a lot.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#4 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM

I am torn because I can't really grasp your situation.

My sons bio dad wouldn't really have a say because my DP has full sole physical custody, and he doesn't take part in day to day decisions.

On one side it is a good thing that the SM wants to be a part of the decision making process. I mean, she IS his wife right? I get that this isn't HER child but at least she wants to be a part..... On the other hand you want what is best for your child and there are too many bosses and not enough workers so to speak.

I hope you get them to see your side of the situation but i don't see you having anything else to do other than what you are already doing.

g'luck

Partner to :Jessica(??) papa to Jake(7) and : Kaiya (2)
#5 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 PM

I'm sorry, why does your wx-dh's wife get any say-so at all? That is what would really tick me off. Her thinking she has a say in all of this.

Wife to G, mommy to dd1 (99), dd2 (07), dd3 (09)
Three beautiful girls. How did I get so very lucky?:
#6 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pinks View Post
I'm sorry, why does your wx-dh's wife get any say-so at all? That is what would really tick me off. Her thinking she has a say in all of this.
As a step parent my say counts. Depends on the situation though. Not all step parents are hands off in parenting.

My 'step' son calls me dad and he calls his bio dad by his first name. Of course my son lives with us and I am a full time dad. In my situation I have alot more say about how my son is raised than his bio dad.

Having a step parent that wants to be involved may not always be convieniant but it is a helluvalot better than one who doesn't involve themselves at all.

Partner to :Jessica(??) papa to Jake(7) and : Kaiya (2)
#7 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post
As a step parent my say counts. Depends on the situation though. Not all step parents are hands off in parenting.

My 'step' son calls me dad and he calls his bio dad by his first name. Of course my son lives with us and I am a full time dad. In my situation I have alot more say about how my son is raised than his bio dad.

Having a step parent that wants to be involved may not always be convieniant but it is a helluvalot better than one who doesn't involve themselves at all.
Yes, there are some situations where the stepparent *IS* more of a parent than the bio. BUT that doesn't negate the bio as having primary responsibility. AND...that's not this situation. In this situation there are two capable and involved bios and it is not appropriate for the steps to be involved in parenting decisions in this situation. I was a stepparent, and a single mom, and a remarried mom w/a stepchild. So I'm not talking out of my @ss here.

It's WAY out of line for the stepmom to be calling biomom. This isn't her issue. It isn't her kid. She needs to back the heck off. End of discussion.

I've seen stepparents that act like this. They really give stepparenting a bad name.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#8 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
Yes, there are some situations where the stepparent *IS* more of a parent than the bio. BUT that doesn't negate the bio as having primary responsibility. AND...that's not this situation. In this situation there are two capable and involved bios and it is not appropriate for the steps to be involved in parenting decisions in this situation. I was a stepparent, and a single mom, and a remarried mom w/a stepchild. So I'm not talking out of my @ss here.

It's WAY out of line for the stepmom to be calling biomom. This isn't her issue. It isn't her kid. She needs to back the heck off. End of discussion.

I've seen stepparents that act like this. They really give stepparenting a bad name.

Agreed!

#9 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Do you have primary custody? What does the parenting agreement say about education? Are you very assertive usually? How is your relationship with them? Are your state laws lenient about homeschooling?

I wonder if you're assertive because it makes no sense that she has the feeling of authority in this situation. What's going on there? Do you get along with her? Do you feel comfortable telling your ex that you will not tolerate this from her?

If you go through a K-12 program, maybe you'll have more rights. Also, look into local homeschool groups and see if any of those people have been through this.

What are the reasons you've decided to homeschool? Maybe if you give him the choice of going to a private school and asking him to pay half or doing homeschool where he gets more flex-time with his son, he might be more up for it. You should not be talking to the step-mother about this. Look into your rights and if you have the right to do this, inform them of your decision and your right to that decision. Then do it.

The women over in single parenting might have some ideas about the parenting agreement as well.
good luck
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#10 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM

umm...in most places, losing your job does NOt mean you get to just stop making child support payments....so..what does your divorce decree say abotu custody, education, and support?

CPST
#11 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
umm...in most places, losing your job does NOt mean you get to just stop making child support payments....so..what does your divorce decree say abotu custody, education, and support?
Yup. CS continues until a court says otherwise.

Now, an involuntary reduction in income is pretty good grounds for a court to reduce CS, but the payer still has to go through the court system to get that reduction. They can't just decide not to pay.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#12 of 36 Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 AM

As another very involved step-parent, I totally agree with ProtoLawyer's statements that the discussion should happen between the parents. If I have input, I can talk to my husband about my opinion, then let him make the decision.

I have a lot of say about what happens in my house. Her step-dad has as much or as little authority to make decisions in his house as he and his wife agree to. But when it comes to decisions about "the big stuff," it's time for both of us to back off and let her parents decide what is best for her.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#13 of 36 Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Add me to the list of stepparents that say that this stepmom needs to butt out. Educational decisions really should be made between the two parents. When my dsd was applying to schools (public), I gave my opinion to DH (because it would have been great if all of the kids could have gone to the same school - they will not ) but I said nothing to either DSD or her mom.

I was a little struck by the comment the stepmom made about how "they" never gave permission. "They" don't need to give permission.

OP, I would start meeting with your ds's father without his partner present. This is something that needs to be worked out between the two of you.

Also, your ds's father really is the one that needs to do the majority of the communications with you, especially on big situations like a job loss. That is his responsibility, and you should let him know that.

A side note for those bickering about how much say a stepparent should have when one of the parents is not that involved - In a lot of US states, physical custody (where the child lives) is different from legal custody (decion making power - especially when it comes to education and medical decisions). Just having sole physical custody does not mean that the other parent does not have joint legal custody (which is standard in a lot of states).

So even if the parent is not around at all, they still might have the legal right to have a say in where their child goes to school (although I am guessing that a parent that uninvolved might really not care). If someday that parent decides to become more involved, you might find that your say in these important decisions decreases markedly. Just something to keep in the back of your head. Stepparents have few (if any) legal decision making rights.

love.gif

#14 of 36 Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricha View Post
As another very involved step-parent, I totally agree with ProtoLawyer's statements that the discussion should happen between the parents. If I have input, I can talk to my husband about my opinion, then let him make the decision.

I have a lot of say about what happens in my house. Her step-dad has as much or as little authority to make decisions in his house as he and his wife agree to. But when it comes to decisions about "the big stuff," it's time for both of us to back off and let her parents decide what is best for her.
Lots of people here have said the same - this is absolutely the way i feel. Thank you so much for putting so well what I have been trying to get verbalised in my head!

I have also spoke to my sister and a couple of people 'in person' and everyone has said she is out of order and overstepping the mark to being taking the lead on communications about the Big Stuff. I also just found out that she has been into DS's school and spoken to his teacher. I am mad about that too!

I feel so much stonger now and more determind to keep this positive - I will let ExH that I expect US to talk about this as DS's parents. End of.

Feeling better now and not like just some woman with a bizarre idea of life - I am DS's MUM! I think I need to gently remind her of that.
#15 of 36 Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermoon View Post
I have also spoke to my sister and a couple of people 'in person' and everyone has said she is out of order and overstepping the mark to being taking the lead on communications about the Big Stuff. I also just found out that she has been into DS's school and spoken to his teacher. I am mad about that too!

WOW! I'm not a SM nor do I have one in my life, but I just had to share my shock and surprise at this womans gall. Good luck mama.

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#16 of 36 Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:

oooooh, that would be IT for me! I would.be.FURIOUS.!!!!! I would also be furious that my ex-dh allowed this as well.

You need to nip this behavior in the bud. Of course, be diplomatic and polite, but, if she refuses to back off, you may have to be more firm.

#17 of 36 Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM

I disagree with the fact that my DSC are vaccinated and the way my DSC mom parents but I never get that much into it. I AM A SAH with full physical custody to them and I would never think to do anything like this.

Talk to your DH rather than her.
#18 of 36 Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I saw my ExH this morning when I went to collect the children from their w/e visit.

I calmly asked to speak to him in private for a few moments and he refused, infront of his wife. She told me that she would be present for all conversations and he agreed to this. I told them both that I wanted to discuss a parental concern with him and that it was appropriate for the parents to do this without the other spouse being present. She was furious.

She shouted at me that SHE was his STEPMOTHER and has legal responsibilities for him!!!! I told her No. She Did Not. She told me that as the one handles 'the house', she is as much a part of ALL decisions as he. I agreed with her - for her own house and family - but my Ex and I are the parents of DS. No matter who's house he is in!!!

It turned out that he had asked her to speak to DS's teacher. Because he didnt have time.:

This is so much more complicated than it seemed at first. I really dont know what to do.

Apparently, she told me (in front of him!) that he finds it hard to talk to in private as their is often confusion?? Well - how about actually ADDRESSING that as a grown man rather than letting your wife deal with it? He said he relies heavily on her for a lot of things, but I am sorry - you cannot give your parental responsibilty to someone else because you dont have time for it??

Am very mad. and sad. She was so angry it was strange. Am more confused than ever now.

He is going to come over this week - just him and me - to begin to talk. Maybe it will be a good thing....

sorry so long.
#19 of 36 Old 01-25-2009, 12:20 PM

first, i would talk to the school. they have most likely violated a privacy issue by speaking to your ds's SM....permission has to be given by BOTH parents for communication like that.

second, we are a blended family and my DP is very very involved in my sons' lives...much more so than bio dad but when it comes to negotiating an agreement, that is done b/w the bio parents. period. i can see where a SP would be present if everything were amicable but apparently in your situation, it is not. If i were you (which i am not of course) i would go back to Ct. and request a ruling that bio dad and you be required to meet ALONE to discuss BIG ISSUES (and categorize those...medical, educational, etc. etc.)....IF you dont have primary custody on those issues. If legal custody is shared, then that usually involves education also so the bio dad does need to agree....however, if that is what you have....getting an order that he must communicate with you in absence of his overassertive wife would be the way i would handle it. i wouldnt give her a chance to do this to you again in teh future. get it fixed now, and move on, yk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post

exactly. i would send them an email explaining that until they go to Ct., they have that obligation. and if they have assets that can be tapped (including 401k accounts), c/s wont be reduced until they cant afford it. im sure they will both be receiving unemployment (well not certain...but if they apply, etc. etc. etc.).

dont let them bully you. thats what this sounds like to me (of course im not there, just saying thats what all of this sounds like...i wouldnt be surprised if you hear "well we will agree to HS'ing if you agree to reduced c/s").
#20 of 36 Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Of course she was mad. People who bully don't like it when people stand up for themselves. I'd be at that school ASAP telling them not to talk with her anymore.

I had an acquaintance who was a step-mother. She would actually call the biomother and ask if the kid's homework was done each night. And then, try to ground him at his mom's house. You DON'T want that kind of thing going on. Nip it now. You need to find out what kind of custody you have and what your rights are. Good for you for asserting yourself. It sounds like you got her true colors to shine brightly.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#21 of 36 Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 PM

I would also let the teacher and school know that they need to talk to you and your husband only about your son. They should handle your step-mother's requests for information in the same way they would handle it if a parent of another child asked for information about your son. I would do it gently, and with the assumption that it was an oversight on their part... maybe even the assumption that they *didn't* share any informtaion.. "I know you probably didn't tell her anything, but I heard that my son's step-mother was in the other day, so I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page, and that the school isn't discussing my son with anyone but me and his dad. I'm sure the school is good about keeping children's information confidential, but I just want to check in."

As for communication with dad, we have some experience with stopping bullying. I'll share our strategy with you, and hope something in it might be helpful to you.

I think I would probably just inform dad of your decisions (email, call him at work, tell him when you see him, etc) and let him know that if he disagrees with your decision or wants to talk to you about it, you'd be happy to discuss it with him. For example: "I'm planning on hiring a tutor for [son] to help him with math. If that isn't okay with you or you want to discuss it with me first, please let me know. Otherwise [son] will start with a tutor from his school a week from Friday." And if you hear back from step-mom, just say "I'd be happy to talk to his dad about that if he wants to discuss it. If I don't hear from him directly, I'll have to assume he's fine with my decision." If she argues, just calmly repeat the first sentence ("I'd be happy to discuss that with his dad")... and repeat, and repeat... Finally, if she continues to argue, calmly tell her, "I don't have anything else to say to you on the subject. I would be happy to talk to his dad about it." And walk away/hang up/ignore her emails on the subject.

It has been pretty effective for us, and thankfully the bullying seems to be long past. If it starts to happen, a quick application of the "broken record approach," stated calmly and unemotionally, seems to be a good reminder that my husband won't be bullied.

Good luck! Standing up to a bully can be scary and hard and draining. My husband and I used to practice what he was going to say before he saw her so he'd already practiced saying the words outloud, and practiced saying them calmly and evenly. When you change tactics, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. Be prepared for anger to escalate, especially if you remain calm. It is hard work, but it is well worth getting through to the other side!!

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#22 of 36 Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I would also let the teacher and school know that they need to talk to you and your husband only about your son. They should handle your step-mother's requests for information in the same way they would handle it if a parent of another child asked for information about your son. I would do it gently, and with the assumption that it was an oversight on their part... maybe even the assumption that they *didn't* share any informtaion.. "I know you probably didn't tell her anything, but I heard that my son's step-mother was in the other day, so I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page, and that the school isn't discussing my son with anyone but me and his dad. I'm sure the school is good about keeping children's information confidential, but I just want to check in."

As for communication with dad, we have some experience with stopping bullying. I'll share our strategy with you, and hope something in it might be helpful to you.

I think I would probably just inform dad of your decisions (email, call him at work, tell him when you see him, etc) and let him know that if he disagrees with your decision or wants to talk to you about it, you'd be happy to discuss it with him. For example: "I'm planning on hiring a tutor for [son] to help him with math. If that isn't okay with you or you want to discuss it with me first, please let me know. Otherwise [son] will start with a tutor from his school a week from Friday." And if you hear back from step-mom, just say "I'd be happy to talk to his dad about that if he wants to discuss it. If I don't hear from him directly, I'll have to assume he's fine with my decision." If she argues, just calmly repeat the first sentence ("I'd be happy to discuss that with his dad")... and repeat, and repeat... Finally, if she continues to argue, calmly tell her, "I don't have anything else to say to you on the subject. I would be happy to talk to his dad about it." And walk away/hang up/ignore her emails on the subject.

It has been pretty effective for us, and thankfully the bullying seems to be long past. If it starts to happen, a quick application of the "broken record approach," stated calmly and unemotionally, seems to be a good reminder that my husband won't be bullied.

Good luck! Standing up to a bully can be scary and hard and draining. My husband and I used to practice what he was going to say before he saw her so he'd already practiced saying the words outloud, and practiced saying them calmly and evenly. When you change tactics, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. Be prepared for anger to escalate, especially if you remain calm. It is hard work, but it is well worth getting through to the other side!!

I agree with this. Contact the school first thing monday and inform that that they are to only speak with your or dh. Period.!

I am so sorry that you are going through this. This woman sounds very much like a bully and I simply could NOT tolerate her behavior in all of this.

#23 of 36 Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I saw my ExH this morning when I went to collect the children from their w/e visit.

I calmly asked to speak to him in private for a few moments and he refused, infront of his wife. She told me that she would be present for all conversations and he agreed to this. I told them both that I wanted to discuss a parental concern with him and that it was appropriate for the parents to do this without the other spouse being present. She was furious.

She shouted at me that SHE was his STEPMOTHER and has legal responsibilities for him!!!! I told her No. She Did Not. She told me that as the one handles 'the house', she is as much a part of ALL decisions as he. I agreed with her - for her own house and family - but my Ex and I are the parents of DS. No matter who's house he is in!!!

It turned out that he had asked her to speak to DS's teacher. Because he didnt have time.:

This is so much more complicated than it seemed at first. I really dont know what to do.

Apparently, she told me (in front of him!) that he finds it hard to talk to in private as their is often confusion?? Well - how about actually ADDRESSING that as a grown man rather than letting your wife deal with it? He said he relies heavily on her for a lot of things, but I am sorry - you cannot give your parental responsibilty to someone else because you dont have time for it??

Am very mad. and sad. She was so angry it was strange. Am more confused than ever now.

He is going to come over this week - just him and me - to begin to talk. Maybe it will be a good thing....

sorry so long.

Well done mama! Good job standing up to yourself and not losing it! *I* am fuming pissed and I'm not even you!!! So, kudos...you rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Of course she was mad. People who bully don't like it when people stand up for themselves. I'd be at that school ASAP telling them not to talk with her anymore.

Nip it now. You need to find out what kind of custody you have and what your rights are. Good for you for asserting yourself. It sounds like you got her true colors to shine brightly.
:

Quote:

My bold. All of this is fantastic advice, I was going to say the exact same things but it's been said so well already!

Definitely get a copy of your court order and figure out what it says. UNLESS it says the stepparents have the right to get records...she didn't have authority to talk to the school. If it says XH and You are equally entitled to school records (or something along those lines), then you can use that sentence to DISALLOW her from being involved, simply because ONLY he and you are listed. Am I making sense?

Keep us updated, this woman sounds a bit unhinged. Stay calm and focused, don't sink to her level or let her get your goat. She sounds SO codependent, I mean WTH talking FOR your XH RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM??? I mean for crying out loud, did he own any cajones when you two were married or did she just snap 'em off in her jaws when they tied the knot??

Good grief. I am so sorry you are going through this frustration!!! We are here for you

~Theoretica

#24 of 36 Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 AM

I think you did a great job - keep up your boundaries. Don't allow her to frazzle you - you know that you have your place and that she needs to stay out of the parenting decisions!
#25 of 36 Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

I'm sorry but your ex's wife has no say in anything regarding your child. I would not speak to her about anything, ever. Tell ex you will only meet and discuss things with him without his wife present. Sounds like SM needs over-steppers anonymous.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#26 of 36 Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinleann View Post
I don't have any advice for you, but I would be very unhappy about my ex's new wife being *that* involved in our decisions regarding the children. It's between you, him, and the kids! I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#27 of 36 Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypie32 View Post
Sounds like SM needs over-steppers anonymous.
:

She's an OverStepMom.....

Ba dum bum...

:

#28 of 36 Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

could not read this thread and not give you a "thata girl"
good luck on this..
she is going to make an horrible mother in law some day....

Erika, wife to Eric, Mom to Son's, Mathias, Colin and Bonus Baby Girl Salem ::
#29 of 36 Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Yeah, definate boundry issues there. But it seems we're all assuming bad intentions. Could it possibly be that this woman is new to steparenting and is trying to figure out where she fits in? She may be doing it out of love/concern for the child, and she definately needs to figure out where she fits.

Being thrust into the steparent role is scary. All of a sudden there is this child who depends on you in your life. And if she is scared, she may be trying to make things more manageable by being power-hungry and overbearing. You can't force your ex-h to step up to the plate and parent. But you also shouldn't have to negotiate with her about parenting.

I would try first to assume she has good intentions. How can you work with this woman? Getting into a powerstruggle may not be worth it. Figuring out how the three of you adults can work together raising your child is key. She is going to be a part of your life for some time, for better or worse.

If I were in your situation, I'd say something to the effect of I'm happy you're taking an interest in Billy's school, but you're overstepping your role here. I love that you help him with his homework and reading, I do. But I need to ask that you stop talking with his teachers.
#30 of 36 Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I have spoken to the school last week, very calmly and without upset. It was hard but it felt MUCH better than storming in being angry, even though I felt that way to begin with. I asked the class teacher if they had a confidentiality policy regarding sharing student information with adults other than parents. She looked very flustered and defensive, but as I explained calmly to her that I wanst cross with her, but I was concerned for her IF she had breached confidentialty. She asked me if there was a note on DS's records that info should not be shared with others, but I pointed out that that stand should be the default!

I spoke again with the same teacher the next day - Totally different attitude. She was apologetic, concerned and assured me that the only people they will be speaking to were myself and DS's father. She went onto say that they are now looking at their confidentiality policy concerning data protection of students and it would be made politely clear to any other enquirers that it is staff policy, not individual parents, behind the decision not to share. So that is good.

Ex-H and I have talked on the phone for a good hour this week, and it was a positive and encouraging conversation. He requested that I write a small outline of my plans for the 12 weeks so he could look at it. I was happy to do this, kept it to one side of A4 and it more ideas and resources and ideology than a formal Educational Philosophy, which I WILL be required to write during the first six months or so in order to satisfy the Local Education Authority.

So it feels a whole lot better! I said i was disappointed with the situation last weekend, he said that she was upset. And we left it at that.

I really dont have anything against her, but I was shocked by her behaviour. But then again, none of us are perfect, I have certainly made my fair share of mistakes and I expect to make plenty more. One thing though - I learnt to acknowledge when it was mine! I once read a book called 'Joint Custody with a Jerk' and it helped me to not only see who's 'problem' it was, but also that I was the jerk sometimes! Maybe I should lend it to them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page