wth should they call new husband??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my kids call their step dad by his name and he has been involved in their lives since my son was 2 years old (definitely more so than their bio dad!). it works great for us. the kids think of him as dad, he treats them like his own kids, we all know and feel it but they are all happy using a first name basis for him.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM

My 7 y-o son has known my DH since he was 2 (DH and I didn't strat dating 'til DS was 5), and always called him by his first name. As our relationship changed from friends to that of a family, my son started calling him "Jeffy" instead of Jeff. It's not an all the time thing, but it's something special and affectionate that DS created for this purpose.

We were both fine with my son calling DH by his name, but DS apparently wanted a little more and saw fit to develop his own nickname.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM

My mom divorced my father when I was 2 and remarried when I was 3. My older brother was 6. Our younger sister was born later that year. We knew our new dad was our little sister's 'real' dad and that we had a different dad. We only visited with him (our bio dad) whenever we came back to the state he lived in (we moved a lot cause my new dad was in the navy).

Eventually, our father (bio) remarried and had another little boy and little girl. When I was 8, my step dad adopted my older brother and I, legally, after our father (bio) signed over his parental rights (and still owes child support for both of us). We had always known our step dad wasn't our bio dad, but had always called him dad. When he adopted us, we were allowed to choose whether we wanted his last name or if we wanted to keep our birth name. Our step dad was the one who we saw every day he was the one taking care of us, he was the one who supported my endeavors and provided for the family. I knew he wasn't my 'real' dad, and I always wanted to know my 'real' dad [I did later, and I found out personally what was so wrong with him].

My husband's ex married her lover a month after their divorce. Their one and only child was 4 when the new man came into his life and he was 6 when his parents were divorced. He was 7 when he met me. He sees his father (my husband) regularly; his father is very much an involved parent yet. However, he calls his step dad 'daddy' (encouraged by his mother) and refers to his real dad as 'daddy john' (suggested by his mother and step dad). : My step son is now nearly 12 years old.He calls his step dad daddy and calls me, his step mother, Katreena (because his mom won't let him call me anything but my first name). At least his mother allows him to call his two sisters, sister.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Dh came into our lives when my oldest 2 were 3 and 4. They called him by their first name until I was pregnant w/my 3rd child. We simply asked them at that age if they wanted to call dh daddy and they did, and still do. Similar situation to yours, exdh not there, they maybe see him once or twice a year if that.

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
Old 04-16-2009, 01:41 PM

I really think it should be up to the children. You can offer suggestions, but I don't think it should matter. I call both my dads "dad". My biological dad and my step-dad who entered my life when I was about 4-5 years old. They have only been in the same room a few times, and I remember distinctly saying, "Dad.. etc etc" at my sister's wedding, and they both perked up and thought I was talking to them. Well, so what?

User Tag List