What do to about the clothes?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have four girls between us. They each have their own wardrobes at their respective homes. They are with each parent 50/50 and it would be a huge pain to send all those clothes back and forth, packing each time, etc. Not to mention, it gives them an added feeling of having two MAIN homes, kwim?

What they are wearing when they get dropped off, get changed in the evening, washed and sent back to their other parents house. XH and the girls step-mom are very good about doing the same.

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#32 of 33 Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM

We also send my step-daguhter to mom in whatever she arrived in. If for some reason we can't, we send her in something we don't mind never seeing again... we usually had a few hand-me-downs on hand for just that reason. Her mom was actually pretty good about getting clothes back to us, but we never sent something if we absolutely had to have it back.

It started because mom wanted her clothes back and we didn't have many to spare... but it actually became a part of her back-and-forth transition... when she was going back and forth every 2-3 days when she was younger, she could sometimes feel like she didn't know where she was going to be from one day to the next... but we would lay out her clothes the night before, and if she saw "mom's" clothes, she new the next day was a transition day... it actually seemed helpful to her.

Now it has become habit, and it's just part of life. Mom tends to send her on the airplane in comfy, layered travelling clothes, so it's easy to put her in the same thing to travel back the other direction.

When there was a problem with weather-appropriateness, or something stained or too small, we'd dress her in something that we didn't mind not getting back, and send the other clothing item back in her bag. If we were picking her up and planning to go somewhere right away, we made sure to have appropriate clothing with us-- like if we were going to the park after school, we made sure to bring sneakers and play clothes in case she was in a fancy dress and dressy shoes.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#33 of 33 Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 PM

DSD has a wardrobe here, and a wardrobe at her mom's. We rarely intermingle, but we get clothes frequently from a cousin of mine for DSD, and at that time we go through her clothes and send a bunch home for school, so she basically gets new-ish clothes for both places. I know her mother appreciates the (almost)new clothes every couple months.

With DH and I divorcing now, I would imagine we will do the same. DH can have half of DS's clothes and toys and things, and those are his, and the stuff at my house is mine. I get very nice, expensive clothing as a hand-me-down from my older sister for DS, and STBX would just let DS ruin it, or I'd never really see it again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page