Almost a Step Dad gift idea for Father's Day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! I am band new to this forum. My name is Jenn and I am the mother of a 10 yer old daughter, Elizabeth and a 14 year old son, Scottie. I have been divorced from their father for almost 4 years and with my fiance for the last 2 years. While my kids love their father, and he is part of their lives, he is not hands on. He is "Disney Dad." Until Charlie, I have done 95% of the parenting.

My fiance, Charlie, has been living with us for a year now. He has gloriously taken on his role as step father (he has no children.) He is their daily male figure/role model. He is the one helping with homework, when I can't. Enforcing the chore rules I have posted, when I am not here, and playing referee when the kids are at each other's throats. So, pretty much, an equal parent. The kids love and respect him, greatly. He is truly a blessing that I thank God for every day.

Here is my issue: I would like to do something special for Charlie for Father's Day, but since we are not married yet, step dad items, are not an option. Does anyone have any ideas for "almost a step dad" gifts? I know he won't be expecting anything, but I also know that he would welcome the acknowledgement of all that he does.

Thank you SO much for your time.

Jenn :
#2 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would think any gift that doesn't literally say "Best Stepdad Ever" would be appropriate, ykwim? Something from your kids would be really sweet, or all of you could take him to a sporting event or something similar. Just a normal Father's day type gift.

DD 2/08
#3 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM

What about taking him out to dinner, and involving the kids on picking out a restaurant?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#4 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 PM

How about asking the kids what they'd like to do for him. They're old enough to put both the thought & effort into it, but also take into consideration their father. Honestly, I think he would appreciate anything that shows they value his input in their lives - whether it's a putting together a little scrapbook of things they've done together or cooking a meal for him.
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!

I have spoken to the kids and of course, they want to go buy him something. lol But then, my son suggested writing him letters. So that is what we settled on. We are going to purchase a small gift ($ is tight) and we are each going to write him a letter telling him just how very important he is to us, and why.

The kids are with their dad on Father's Day weekend, but they return Sunday evening @ 6pm.

New question: should we pick a day before the weekend, or wait until the kids get home, and do it on Father's Day?
#6 of 6 Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmoizo View Post
New question: should we pick a day before the weekend, or wait until the kids get home, and do it on Father's Day?
Let the kids decide, of course

My fiance is not ds's biological father. But he's not the step-dad either (we're not legally married). We live together and dp is there for ds every day. Just yesterday he took the morning off work (worked from home) so he could stay home with ds (who was ill). He also canceled his golf outing so he could come back home (he did work at work in the afternoon) and help out with ds.

DS's bio-dad is barely in the picture. He sees him a handful of times a year (maybe 5-6) for about 3 hours each and that's it. I don't hear from him between those visits. DS has no idea who this man is. He completely believe dp is his dad, though we've tried to explain the truth to him.

ANYWAY, for fathers day I got a picture frame with 4 different openings. I'll be printing off pictures of dp with ds and putting them in there. I'm also getting him a couple other little things. I was planning on taking him out either Friday night or Saturday night (without kiddo) for a date night but I don't know if that's going to happen. On Sunday we'll probably spend it with dp's dad.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page