Husband dislikes my daughter... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new here, and after reading many posts in this subect, am hopeful that I can get some help here- you sound like a very caring community here.

I married my childhood sweetheart 11 yrs ago, and my daughter was 3.
Through the years, my husband (has no kids from previous relationship) and daughter's relationship has gone downhill steadily. We have tried counseling, but hubby seems to think that my daughter is the problem, not him.
He picks on her through me, constantly "tattling" on whatever the latest infraction is, wether it's hair in the bathtub or a glass left on the coffee table. He acts like a bratty brother more than an adult. It's so bad my stomach hurts when she is home and he gets home from work. She is a sweet, normal 14 yr old with the usual teenage girl habits who now says she hates him and stays away from home as much as I will let her.
I am near tears as I write this because I feel he is forcing me to choose between them...last night she and i were cleaning out her closet and I don't even know what she said, but he screamed at her, A___, shut the f___ up!!

I know this is hurting her (she cried in my arms and he stomped off somewhere). Can anyone offer me any advice? I am just sick over the whole thing.
My husband is fine except when he is around her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Ouch
This must be very tough for you.

I probably would sit him down and let him understand that it's NOT an option for him to listen. We never use that kind of language with the adults, let alone the child. Boy, do I know how the teenager can push your buttons, but it sounds all twisted in your scenario. Do you think something along the lines "If we don't fix it, WE won't last" can get his attention?

New rules:

* He needs to take a BIG step back. Recite "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." The two of them need to learn to interact civilly, and if he needs to make more effort, being the adult and all...

* No more tattling. Period. Done. Unless it involves a serious safety issue, he is not to tattle on your daughter.

* He needs to understand that if he makes you choose between him and her, he is fighting a losing battle. A loving parent cannot disingage from their child. What he is basically working towards is a nice pile of resentment on your part, and that can only lead into an ugly place. Does he GET IT when you put it in those terms?

* Maybe offer some counseling for your daughter (?) Tell her that you talked with her stepdad, and that you insist on changes, but she needs to understand this might take time, but you are taking this seriously, and maybe she can work with you. Ask for some patience and support, and offer the same back.

* Realize that any change takes time. Big changes take long time. Baby steps.
Compliment your husband if you notice him trying. Stand up for your daughter when he is not.

Hang in there.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

Choose her and divorce him.

I am sorry you are in this situation.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly, yelling at her like that is verbally abusive. Your responsibilty is to be a mother first and wife second. I think that you need to consider living somewhere with just your daughter for the next four years. She deserves better.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
If you feel forced to choose, make a choice. It shouldn't take that much thought - your husband is an adult, who can get an apartment of his own and support himself.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post

I agree on both points,

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM

That was basically my relationship with my stepfather, except my mother was either unwilling to "take a side" or she would tell me to just "lay low for awhile" until he calmed down. Or that I deserved it. I left home at 16 and moved in with a bunch of guys in a crappy one bedroom apartment. I am 22 now and have very minimal contact with my mother and my stepfather is the main reason. He convinced my mother not to help pay for college or even sign financial aid paperwork that would allow me to get federal student aid. I'm in a lot more debt than I should be because of him.

Get rid of the guy.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Also, I wouldn't force your daughter into counseling.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Ouch
This must be very tough for you.

I probably would sit him down and let him understand that it's NOT an option for him to listen. We never use that kind of language with the adults, let alone the child. Boy, do I know how the teenager can push your buttons, but it sounds all twisted in your scenario. Do you think something along the lines "If we don't fix it, WE won't last" can get his attention?

New rules:

* He needs to take a BIG step back. Recite "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." The two of them need to learn to interact civilly, and if he needs to make more effort, being the adult and all...

* No more tattling. Period. Done. Unless it involves a serious safety issue, he is not to tattle on your daughter.

* He needs to understand that if he makes you choose between him and her, he is fighting a losing battle. A loving parent cannot disingage from their child. What he is basically working towards is a nice pile of resentment on your part, and that can only lead into an ugly place. Does he GET IT when you put it in those terms?

* Maybe offer some counseling for your daughter (?) Tell her that you talked with her stepdad, and that you insist on changes, but she needs to understand this might take time, but you are taking this seriously, and maybe she can work with you. Ask for some patience and support, and offer the same back.

* Realize that any change takes time. Big changes take long time. Baby steps.
Compliment your husband if you notice him trying. Stand up for your daughter when he is not.

Hang in there.
This is VERY valuable advice. I would add that you and your husband should consider counseling as well. But be really thoughtful about who you choose for any counseling and be open to finding a new one if the first doesn't seem right to you.

Rebecca, single mama to intact Junebug 6/01, Daughter of the King!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM

This situation is so foreign to me. I married my husband when my ds had just turned 4, and dh considers him to be his. He chose and married us as a package deal. We've since had another son together and he is raising our sons without any preferential treatment. I'm sorry to say, it would be a deal breaker for me if couldn't parent "our" child after a decade together. That's a long time.

Really need to put my siggie back in...

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you all.
We did counseling the last 4 years, he still feels it is her fault that they do not get along. I don't think he will change at this point, but i cannot go for at least several months until my new business generates some steady income.
It breaks my heart to think of leaving but it does look like that's what is going to happen.
What can I do in the meantime? Do I tell her to just hang on? I don't know if I should tell him or not yet- could be very ugly during the interim.
I just feel so alone and sad at the opportunity lost for them both
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
Thanks to you all.
We did counseling the last 4 years, he still feels it is her fault that they do not get along. I don't think he will change at this point, but i cannot go for at least several months until my new business generates some steady income.
It breaks my heart to think of leaving but it does look like that's what is going to happen.
What can I do in the meantime? Do I tell her to just hang on? I don't know if I should tell him or not yet- could be very ugly during the interim.

I would insist for him to stop talking to your daughter unless he can do it nicely. I would also let her know that you recognize how hurt and frustrated she feels, apologize, and assure her that you are looking for a solution.

I would also get some advice in Single Mom's forum on what to do to get out.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:

This exactly. You are allowing your husband to abuse your daughter. If you don't choose her, she'll leave and won't be back. Choosing her is choosing a future with her and her future children. Choosing him is choosing to live with someone who destroyed your daughers childhood and made your daughter and you feel dread every day for the last 11 years. When she leaves, who will he have left to blame for his misery...who will be his new target. You will.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 PM

nak

So sorry for you mama, I can't imagine how heartbroken you must be over your situation.

I agree w/pps who said you need to leave him. It's hard to believe that his selfishness and shortsightedness only reaches as far as your daughter, does he act self-centered in other areas?

It can be challenging for step parents but I can tell you that it is TOTALLY possible for a stepfather/mother to love a step child just as much as a biological child. My dh married me and our sons and is so in love w/them and dedicated to them that there is honestly no difference in the way that he treats older 2 boys vs baby who is biologically his.

I also agree that you should talk to your daughter about the situation honestly and let her know that you are doing something about it. There's nothing worse than feeling like your parent is choosing someone else over you.

Hang in there!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
If you feel forced to choose, make a choice. It shouldn't take that much thought - your husband is an adult, who can get an apartment of his own and support himself.

Meep is right if anyone EVER made my Ds feel unloved and disliked they would not be in my life or his! She is your priority, you gave him a chance with therapy. He did not take his chance, instead he stomped out like the child "saying its not me its her" as the adult it is always you and not them because they learn from you how to be and how not to be.

I am sorry you are going through this I have left someone because of how they are with Ds it is not easy peasy but it is what the child needs because no one especally a teenager should ever feel unwanted, unloved, not liked, and not cared for by the people in her home.

I hope all will work out but no one can change just because you want them to because people can fake it for a month or two but the true them always comes back out unless it is them that chooses to change

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I'm new here, and after reading many posts in this subect, am hopeful that I can get some help here- you sound like a very caring community here.

I married my childhood sweetheart 11 yrs ago, and my daughter was 3.
Through the years, my husband (has no kids from previous relationship) and daughter's relationship has gone downhill steadily. We have tried counseling, but hubby seems to think that my daughter is the problem, not him.
He picks on her through me, constantly "tattling" on whatever the latest infraction is, wether it's hair in the bathtub or a glass left on the coffee table. He acts like a bratty brother more than an adult. It's so bad my stomach hurts when she is home and he gets home from work. She is a sweet, normal 14 yr old with the usual teenage girl habits who now says she hates him and stays away from home as much as I will let her.
I am near tears as I write this because I feel he is forcing me to choose between them...last night she and i were cleaning out her closet and I don't even know what she said, but he screamed at her, A___, shut the f___ up!!

I know this is hurting her (she cried in my arms and he stomped off somewhere). Can anyone offer me any advice? I am just sick over the whole thing.
My husband is fine except when he is around her...
oh mama...this is so sad. you've got to leave now while you can still repair things with your daughter.

he is ALWAYS going to get in the way between you and her. he's not going to want you to spend joint money on her college. he's not going to want to give up your companionship for you to travel and see her. if she has children, he's not going to want them--or you--to be involved with them either.

meanwhile, at some point soon--4 yrs--your daughter is going to be an adult and leave. she may keep connection with you or she may decide her stepfather is too toxic for her to be able to keep up that connection. or she may decide she's upset at you for not valuing her enough to support her in these conflicts.

also, think about what you are modeling for her. in this she sees a weak mother. a mother who can't stand up for her children. maybe she will learn from this not to be able to stand up for herself to men. or maybe she'll learn not to be able to defend her children when necessary.

i know i have painted a dire picture, but it is a tough situation. your daughter is not at fault. i hate to say it, but i think you need to leave your husband.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
This exactly. You are allowing your husband to abuse your daughter. If you don't choose her, she'll leave and won't be back. Choosing her is choosing a future with her and her future children. Choosing him is choosing to live with someone who destroyed your daughers childhood and made your daughter and you feel dread every day for the last 11 years. When she leaves, who will he have left to blame for his misery...who will be his new target. You will.
this. exactly. choose your daughter. your child.

also, don't cry for the opportunities lost between them both. your husband squandered his opportunity and he isn't crying about it! rejoice in the opportunity to raise your daughter these next few years without your husband breathing down both of your necks!

eta: if, for whatever reason, you can't leave your husband, please consider sending your daughter somewhere else to live, maybe with a friend or relative or at a boarding school.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

:

Totally.

You'll regret it if you don't.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
What can I do in the meantime? Do I tell her to just hang on?
No, you stand up to him.

You say to him, "You do NOT talk to my daughter like that." Repeat, repeat, repeat, and make your plans to leave. At least your dd will see you standing up for her.

And you know what, you could always go to a shelter. Don't make your dd stay in this situation.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you- it's what I knew but hoped not to hear.
I'm going to find a therapist for me and work on earning a steady income to support us.
I wish there was a place I could send her, but all I can do now is allow her to spend time at friends' and at activities as much as possible.
Thank you again for your kind support-all of you.
Can somebody now do the money dance for us?:
Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Can somebody now do the money dance for us?:
<money dance

Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't have a whole lot of advice, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I am in a very similar situation where my DH does not "like" my two older children, who were 2 and 4 when we became a couple.

It's so sad, I hope you find the strength to do whatever it is you need to.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
That was basically my relationship with my stepfather, except my mother was either unwilling to "take a side" or she would tell me to just "lay low for awhile" until he calmed down. Or that I deserved it. I left home at 16 and moved in with a bunch of guys in a crappy one bedroom apartment. I am 22 now and have very minimal contact with my mother and my stepfather is the main reason. He convinced my mother not to help pay for college or even sign financial aid paperwork that would allow me to get federal student aid. I'm in a lot more debt than I should be because of him.

Get rid of the guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
Also, I wouldn't force your daughter into counseling.
Yup to all of the above.

Having been a stepdaughter in a similar situation, but with a mother who did nothing (actually left for a while then went back to the UAV), I say hurry, before she completely disconnects from you. And yes, stand up for her every second. Give him ultimatums, if necessary. I would have far preferred living in a tiny, crappy place without him than staying with him to have a nicer home.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 AM

Stand up to him so she can see you are doing it. Also, talk to her - let her know that what is going on is *not* a reflection on her and is *not* her fault! Can you set a date with her - as in, "we'll leave on or before March 1, 2010"? Her trust may already be damaged at this point and she may not believe that you actually intend to leave - 6 months (or whatever your time frame is) is a LONG time to a teenager.

So, so sorry you have been put in this situation s

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 AM

I was also the stepdaughter in a situation where my stepdad was an a-hole, and my mom stayed with him. they had a son together, and I understand (sort of...) why she didn't leave him, and I was able to essentially get him off my back when I was about 12, and it left pretty much nothing but tense silences and an incredibly sad and awkward homelife for me. moved in with a boyfriend right after highschool, and while I have a cordial relationship with my mom, we're not terribly close, and I do resent her for staying with him, even though I understand it, on a cognitive level -- she chose him over me, and that hurts. she continues to choose him over me, and now it's affecting their relationship with my kids, and it makes visiting quite awkward....

this is not just a problem until she is 18, this is a problem for the rest of HIS life... you've been in counseling for 4 years, it's time to stand up for your daughter... imagine the weight that will be lifted when it's just the two of you, no ogre coming between you... no man is worth that garbage, and right now she is getting the message that she is not worth as much as him...

, and don't worry about the money, it will come...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM

I'm with the others... I was the child in a scenario very much like the one you describe, only it was my step-mother who caused the problems. I moved out because of her when I was 16... it didn't wait until I was 18. I had very limited contact with my father for the next 8 years, even though I lived in the same town. I'd see him maybe 3 or 4 times a YEAR because I couldn't deal with her. I moved out of that town 8 years ago, and the visits dwindled to once a year, if that. And then there came a point where I decided my life was better without them in it, and I have had no contact for over 2 years now. I'll be having a child any day now, and my father will never get to know him because of the choices he's made.

Don't make that mistake with your daughter. You have a chance to fix it, take it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks to you all.
If by ugly, you mean abusively ugly than you can use that as an opportunity to get a PFA and have him put out of the house.

I am the daughter of a mother who took the path of least resistance when it came to her dysfunctional marriage and watching her do the easy-but-wrong thing still sickens me.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=Caneel;14385886]If by ugly, you mean abusively ugly than you can use that as an opportunity to get a PFA and have him put out of the house.

I am the daughter of a mother who took the path of least resistance when it came to her dysfunctional marriage and watching her do the easy-but-wrong thing still sickens me.[/QUOTE]

Please, OP, get him out of the house immediately.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Have you talked to him about his behavior? Would he consider family councelling? If not, you may need to choose. Please take MeepyCat's advice:

Quote:

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

User Tag List