Anyone have experience with kids in therapy due to divorce? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 33 Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
FTR, I think the law entitles your husband to seek the care he deems appropriate for his daughter during his parenting time, even mental health care. He's just required to notify his ex about it, just as she is legally required to notify him of any care she seeks for their daughter.

We've gone to court before over this misconceived assumption that only the primary custodial parent is allowed to take care of the child! That's not true. They're both her parents. You and your husband are not just weekend babysitters, regardless what his ex would like to think!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
Would DSD's therapist be able to recommend a mediator?

How would you go about looking something like that up?
We had good luck with mediators through a Collaborative Divorce group in our area. Try www.collaborativepractice.com

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#33 of 33 Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post
Anyway, every week he excitedely looks forward to going to his "toy doctor" appointment. She doesn't try to make him "come up with feelings on the spot." They play together and through this playtime, they talk.
this is exactly what play therapy should look and feel like!

also, this:

Quote:
As a trained professional, she knows how to bring this conversation around to address something that is bothering him and when he says he doesn't want to talk about it (which he often does in the beginning of the session), she lets it alone. But most of the time, as he settles into the session, he brings it back up with her.

What I also enjoy about the experience is to be able to talk to her myself from time to time about any issues we are having at home. She gives great advice, suggestions and insight to help me be a better, more aware mommy.
It sounds like things are moving forward... I am so glad your step-daughter will have a safe place to talk about whatever it is that she is working through.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page