Milestones - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What milestones were you there for? Which ones did you miss?

I'm reflecting, because today DSD drove herself off to work all by herself for the very first time. This growing up thing is way too fast!

For me it's as follows...

Missed:
* All the baby ones (since I was not in the picture until she was 7)
* First day of school
* First time she rode a bike (she learned at her mom's)
* When she learned to read
* When she started driving a car
* when she got her license

Been there for:
* Braces on
* Braces off (took her for this and that appointment)
* Ear-piercing, I held her hand (well, kind of... she got them pierced with her mom the very very first time, but they got really infected, so we had to have a do-over)
* First date (well, technically her dad took her, but I was here when she left, and came back to tell me about the kiss, so I think it counts?)
* First college visit
* First job - I took her for the interview (1 out of 1,353?), and this place hired her on the spot.

And now just watched her drive away for the first time. She put the stick in R, and it jerked the car backwards when she started up. And then she was waving and laughing in "I'm okay! I'm okay!" fashion. It's like a movie...

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 8 Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Ah, let's see.

Missed all of the baby things - she was 2 when I met DH.
First haircut (and every other one after that ).
First day of daycare.
DH took her to her first dental appointment.
First day of school.
Learning to read - this happened at both houses - not sure that there was one "Aha!" moment.
First "activity." (dance class)
I think that she mostly learned to ice skate at her mom's, but it was definitely a joint project between houses.
First time being a big sister.

I can't imagine what it will be like when she is a teenager - it goes so fast!

love.gif

#3 of 8 Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Hm...
I missed everything up until 2.
After that...I'm not really sure what "milestones" there have been. Lots of gradual stuff.

Her mom took her to get her ears pierced but I don't see that as a milestone (though I see how others do).

I was the first to see her ride a bike by herself, sheer luck (she'd been riding at both houses).

Reading was gradual here, too.

We took her to her first in-the-theater movie.
Her dad got the "pleasure" of her first ambulance run (for a severe asthma attack); we both got the "pleasure" of her first ER run for an injury (dislocated elbow, my husband was trying to give her a piggyback ride).

She'll first (probably only) be a big sister here.

She's only 7 so we don't have dates, jobs, cars yet.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#4 of 8 Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 PM

I somehow managed to share her first time baking Christmas cookies. No idea how that happened, between her mom, four sets of grandparents, and one set of great grandparents. It was kind of an amazing moment for me, when she told me "I've never made Christmas cookies before! This is fun!"

Then she gave up halfway through, took a nap on the floor while I was finishing them up, and we spent the rest of the day laying around watching movies.

angel1.gif 03/11 angel1.gif 07/11 angel1.gif 01/12 

If at first you don't succeed: babyboy.gif 07/26/13

#5 of 8 Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Resque- View Post
I somehow managed to share her first time baking Christmas cookies. No idea how that happened, between her mom, four sets of grandparents, and one set of great grandparents. It was kind of an amazing moment for me, when she told me "I've never made Christmas cookies before! This is fun!"

Then she gave up halfway through, took a nap on the floor while I was finishing them up, and we spent the rest of the day laying around watching movies.
That's so sweet.
And Welcome, btw!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 AM

Two more I can't believe I forgot about...

I've been friends with DF for many years now, and we were friends during the time after he was divorcing. I was living in Seattle, and he brought H out to see me, about six months after they'd moved out. She actually took her first plane ride to see me! And during that trip, I also painted her nails for the first time.

Come to think of it, although we were only friends at the time, it was on that trip that his ex set the tone for how our entire relationship has been up to this point... I had found out I had to have a minor medical procedure done that I was nervous about. She had had the same one done, and during one of her phone calls to her daughter, she spoke to me about it, told me what would happen, and that it was no big deal. That's kind of a nice memory... although neither of us would have predicted all we have in common now!

angel1.gif 03/11 angel1.gif 07/11 angel1.gif 01/12 

If at first you don't succeed: babyboy.gif 07/26/13

#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I really liked Resque's answers!

I've missed:
* Everything before age 3
* 1st bike ride
* 1st time reading on his own
* 1st days of kindergarten - 3rd grade
* 5th-7th birthdays
* 1st trip to Disneyland (or any amusement park)
* Who knows what else - I wasn't there!

I've been lucky enough to be there for:
* 4th birthday & 8th-10th
* Baptism (obviously not during infancy...)
* 1st time casting a fishing rod
* The moment it dawned on him - all on his own, mind you - that his Mommy wanted to keep him away from his Daddy and that there wasn't a good reason for it.
* 1st lost tooth
* 1st trip to the ocean
* Reading the entire Harry Potter series to him :-)
* The day he moved in with his Dad
* The day he met his only younger sibling
* 1st days of 4th & 5th grade
* 1st crush
* The 2 times he has called me Mom, by accident...

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#8 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 06:34 AM

I'm new at this, really just a step mom for a couple of months.
But, I wanted to congratulate you all on how kind and caring you must be! These lists are very sweet!

Not a milestone, but last summer I had DSD (10) hand wash our two cars with me out in the street. I think it's the first time she's gotten dirty from hard work, but she was proud.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page