Kids in wedding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been on too much but as we got in engaged in april and im starting to think about wedding planning, im wondering the best place for the kids in the wedding. When we get married DSD will be 9 and DSS will be 7. i was thinking they could be jr bridesmaid/groomsman but unless there's a lot of growing up this year they cant stand still that long lol! i think that its too old for flower girl and ring barer and we're going to have them light the unity candle with us.

What other jobs could they do without heavy supervision?

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:
#2 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Congratulations!

DS was the ring bearer (18 mo) and DSD's sister was a junior bridesmaid (12 yrs old) - she carried DS down the aisle. DSD was the flower girl (5 yrs) and walked down the aisle with my brother, who was an "usher" (5 yrs), more like an assistant usher in reality. None of the kids stood up there with us - they just walked down the aisle.

Kids can do all sorts of things in weddings. Do you want them in the wedding party, or do you just want them to have some sort of responsibility?

love.gif

#3 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 PM

My stepdaughter (7) was our "ring girl," but we didn't have an aisle or anything (we got married in the party room at a pizza place) so she just held the rings (in their jeweler boxes) and gave them to us when it was time. No real supervision required (she was seated at a table so she couldn't leave the rings in the bathroom or anything). We also included her in the ceremony (made a family vow and gave her a necklace).

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#4 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 AM

We just got married. We included the kids by doing a sand ceremony near the end and then they just stayed up at the front with us. It was really nice!
#5 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM

We just got married as well... and included the kids. Our ceremony was just the two of us, a best man (DHs brother), Maid of Honor (my sister) and the kids. We matched the kids outfits to us... and did not give them an actual title for the wedding. They were the most important people there (well you know other than myself and DH lol)

We did a sand ceremony with them... and otherwise had them standing right next to us at the altar, between us and the guests: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...0_168319_n.jpg

Really... its all up to YOU and what you want to do. Its your wedding, you decide.

BTW my kids are 7 and almost-5 so neither stand still very well either. Their reactions to every part of the wedding made the whole thing so much more enjoyable for our guests (I cannot wait to get our pics back, during our kiss one photographer got a great shot of DS turning his head like "EWW" lol)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM

When we got married, DSS 15, who was 12 at the time, played the Wedding March on his trumpet as DSD 12, then 9, and DSD 11, then 8, walked me down the isle as my bridesmaids. DSS 9, then 6, stood by DH up front while we walked down. DSD 12 played a solo piece on the piano during the ceremony and we included them in our vows. DSS 6 kept trying to talk to me during the ceremony so I had to keep asking him to wait until we were done but that just adds to the memories. The whole ceremony took about 15 minutes so there wasn't a lot of standing around. Getting pics afterward made them a little stir crazy but it was fine.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#7 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM

This may be totally a given in your situation, but I just want to put out there that you want to consider if they even want to be in the wedding. I have to say, I am always made uncomfortable by ceremonial aspects that include step-kids (blending ceremonies, promise necklaces, etc) I realize that this is /me/ being uncomfortable, and it may be a wonderful thing for someone else's situation, but I'm just very aware of the fact that it was the adults who chose to get married. The kids may be anywhere from extremely unhappy, conflicted, feeling that they have to act happy when in reality they are scared or stressed. Any of the above.

I know for us, our wedding was the low point of my relationship with DSS. He really began to breakdown after our engagement and had a very difficult time the day of the wedding. It's been a steady improvement since then (very quick improvement actually, once he saw that his relationship with his dad was very much still intact).

However, the experience has just left me very empathtic to the mixed feelings kids may have about their parent's weddings.
#8 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! as far as them wanting to be in the wedding i know they would feel totally rejected if they weren't included in some manner, although i may just have them help with the guests instead of doing a sand ceremony or unity candle with them, its still in the early works i just dont want them to be left out. Its my first wedding in my DFs second obviously it will be different with his kids there but we'll see how it ends up working out. they'd probably be better off helping seat guests or hand out programs.

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page