DSS Mom wants my vet records - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
OR she is assuming that her EX was around before he is saying he was and she things it may have originated with you animals?

oooh, i didn't even think of this. it is another possible motive- is she trying to figure out how long you two have been together?

just a consideration. i think most people seem to agree on these things: 1) there is no harm in getting the animals tested, if it expensive why not just split the cost? and 2) at this point, your family dynamic isn't such that there is any reason for you two to talk directly; it makes more sense for her and your dp to talk, and 3) there is no reason for you to give her vet records; additionally, her motives are probably not only that she is concerned for her child but also that she is grasping for control.

good luck, op - and good luck ttc, too- i just noticed that in your signature

mummy to one sweet, beautiful, strong, clever, perfect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Spicyrock - Thanks We have our first appt with the RE next month, so that should be enlightening and hopefully productive!

M, married to B, Step-Mom to J coolshine.gif, with one of these cat.gif, and two of thesedog2.gifdog2.gif
Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilamom View Post

3. I think it's ridiculous that she thinks my dogs gave DSS MRSA. Isn't it true that once you have it, you have it in your system forever and will experience flare-ups?
Once you have MRSA, you don't get rid of it completely. Yes, you can continue to experience problems, but my understanding (from a friend who has it) is that certain situations can cause the relapse. I don't think she's out of line for wanting to know. If my child had something like that, I would want to know before they stayed somewhere if the pets had been screened.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
dont know about msra but ex's gf and i have never met and never talked (they've been together over a year). all communication is with ex only. so i dont think its unreasonable for her to go through your dp only and i dont thnk requesting a vax record for pets is a big deal either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
dont know about msra but ex's gf and i have never met and never talked (they've been together over a year). all communication is with ex only. so i dont think its unreasonable for her to go through your dp only and i dont thnk requesting a vax record for pets is a big deal either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Except the vax record is useless when it comes to MRSA. there is no vaccine for it. It's a bacteria that is literally everywhere. You probably have some on your skin right now. Which is why it's not completely logical to automatically blame the dogs.

OP have your dogs ever been sick? ever had any skin conditions? because dogs often present the way humans do and rarely don't exhibit any smptoms. So if the dogs did it, they should have shown some signs at some point. FTR, bloodwork on animals is quite expensive.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
I feel that both women are doing a little power tripping.

All's I did was do a MRSA pets and the top link was below
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23580386/

Carrier pets
http://www.fountia.com/transmission-mrsa-dogs

Yes, your pets could be compounding to an issue. But, the proper request is to ask your partner (her ex) to have your pets screened. Shot records and vet records won't show MRSA but a screening looking for it might. It is more than reasonable to request that your pets be screened for it, since this child is having issues. You want to eliminate all possible sources.

She has a legitimate concern that as a step mom you should respect. You don't have to respect giving all your pets medical records. You should show concern and have your pets examen for MRSA.

Her son had/has MRSA, a potentially very serious, even life threatening illness. Why on earth would you automatically think she had ulterior motives? I am quoting this poster because she researched, which you should have done, and found out that your pets could be carriers. I am guessing she wants the vet records to see if there is any indication if they are carriers and she just doesn't know that the records won't indicate that. The right thing to do is get your animals screened and show her proof that you did and if they are clean let her know that, if they are carriers then you and your dp have to figure out how you are going to deal with it. What could she possibly want with the dog's vet records? How could the records tell her if you were in the picture earlier than you guys said you were? I can't believe what I am reading.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
Except the vax record is useless when it comes to MRSA. there is no vaccine for it. It's a bacteria that is literally everywhere. You probably have some on your skin right now. Which is why it's not completely logical to automatically blame the dogs.

I understand that, so she will get paperwork that is useless. i don't see the harm in that. honestly if my ex refused a request like that to me it would seem (to me) that he was hiding something.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"One theory is that pets may pick up the bacteria from people, but then serve as reservoirs, harboring the bugs so they can reinfect humans."

The above quote is from one of the articles posted by a pp. I think this is exactly why the dogs should be screened and treated if necessary. Even if your dss infected them with MRSA, he could still be at risk of reinfection. It's not unlikely that if the child is having continued problems getting rid of the MRSA that the boy's doctor might have suggested the mom ask dss's dad about the possibility of the animals being infected. Your dss's dad could put in a call to the pediatrician and see if he feels that this is a likely scenario. That way if dss's mom ever tried to make a claim that dad wasn't taking dss's medical issues seriously by not screening the dogs he'd be able to counter that dss's own doctor didn't think it was necessary. Of course if the doctor did recommend the dogs be screened you'd at least know that the boy's mom wasn't just power tripping.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm the mom, not the step-mom, but just get the dogs tested. If there's a SLIGHT chance of this already compromised child being put at risk, wouldn't you want to do the right thing? She doesn't need the vet records - a simple response - "hey, we tested the dogs for MRSA and they're clean, good news!" should suffice.

If she still demands the records, then there are other issues, obviously, but I don't think her requests - or at least the reasoning behind the request - is unreasonable.

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I called the vet and they got back with me. Yes, the dogs can carry MRSA. She checked with a pathologist at the vetrinarian school in our state. However, since they are asymptomatic (and never had an issues related to this) they would have to test the WHOLE dog. I asked them how much it would cost and she said it would be very expensive (times two dogs and probably the cat), since it is a specialty test.

So, we are waiting to get them tested, because we really can't afford to do that right now. We may just have to keep him away from the dogs, which will be really hard because he and the 1-year old dachshund puppy really like to play together.

So, I think we will just wait it out and see what happens.

M, married to B, Step-Mom to J coolshine.gif, with one of these cat.gif, and two of thesedog2.gifdog2.gif
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 PM

I'd get your dp to tell that whole story to his ex. Then she can like it or lump it. It was your dss who brought MRSA into the household, since he had it before he ever laid eyes on you and your dogs.

Without fighting, your dp should just stick to those facts. I would not separate the dogs from dss unless you and dp, based on some info you have not shared here, think it's a good idea.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM

Biomom is probably being controlling and extreme. Then again when I'm worried about my childrens health and well being I tend to be a bit over the top controlling, extreme, demanding, obnoxious, overbearing and paranoid. Sometimes you act irrationally when you are concerned about your kids. Ok so I didn't have a dangerous staph infection running rampant but we did have the dreaded lice a few years ago and let me tell you it got more than ugly. Like dh's ex wanted to check our heads and our other children's heads before dropping off the kids and we sent the kids with their own pillows and sleeping bags to her house. Yet we kept passing it back and forth for almost a year. We fought like cats and dogs, pointed fingers, and many other family issues caused by it. In the end we discovered that one of the dsd#2's friends had been having the same issue with lice for a year. They would sleep at each others house and pass it back and forth to one another and of course back and forth throughout both our households. And of course neither of the girls families said anything to the other for fear of embarrassment.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcamommy View Post
Biomom is probably being controlling and extreme. Then again when I'm worried about my childrens health and well being I tend to be a bit over the top controlling, extreme, demanding, obnoxious, overbearing and paranoid. Sometimes you act irrationally when you are concerned about your kids. Ok so I didn't have a dangerous staph infection running rampant but we did have the dreaded lice a few years ago and let me tell you it got more than ugly. Like dh's ex wanted to check our heads and our other children's heads before dropping off the kids and we sent the kids with their own pillows and sleeping bags to her house. Yet we kept passing it back and forth for almost a year. We fought like cats and dogs, pointed fingers, and many other family issues caused by it. In the end we discovered that one of the dsd#2's friends had been having the same issue with lice for a year. They would sleep at each others house and pass it back and forth to one another and of course back and forth throughout both our households. And of course neither of the girls families said anything to the other for fear of embarrassment.
I don't think MOM can be too controlling or extreme about something like MRSA...and really, asking to see vet records is extreme and controlling? She isn't asking for the step mom's medical records.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle View Post
I don't think MOM can be too controlling or extreme about something like MRSA...and really, asking to see vet records is extreme and controlling?
I think that it is. She can't just take their word for it? They can't just have a conversation about it like adults? And this is aside from the fact that the records are not even going to tell her anything since the OP can't afford to have the dogs tested, making the records useless to solving the problem.

Another interesting thing about the records is that not everyone actually keeps records at their home. If I had to give someone my dog's records, I would have to physically go to the vet, and they would probably charge me to print out the whole file. If vets charge like doctor's offices do, that could run fifty bucks right there. For a bunch of paper that isn't going to tell anyone anything!

love.gif

Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
I think that it is. She can't just take their word for it? They can't just have a conversation about it like adults? And this is aside from the fact that the records are not even going to tell her anything since the OP can't afford to have the dogs tested, making the records useless to solving the problem.

Another interesting thing about the records is that not everyone actually keeps records at their home. If I had to give someone my dog's records, I would have to physically go to the vet, and they would probably charge me to print out the whole file. If vets charge like doctor's offices do, that could run fifty bucks right there. For a bunch of paper that isn't going to tell anyone anything!
Instead of even having her dp talk to mom about it and get to the bottom of what she thought the records would tell her they just assumed she was being controlling and extreme. Mom is not an expert, she was probably told by a doc that dogs could carry MRSA and to check the dogs not knowing it wouldn't be on their records. There is absolutely nothing she could gain from the vet records, its the most ridiculous thing I think I have heard here in a while. Oh, and vets don't charge for records, they will happily give you a copy or fax them anywhere you ask them to.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing she could gain from the vet records, its the most ridiculous thing I think I have heard here in a while.
I agree.

Quote:
Oh, and vets don't charge for records, they will happily give you a copy or fax them anywhere you ask them to.
That completely depends upon the vet. Some do and some don't.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 08-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post

While I agree with the premise of the seriousness of the health issue (and am a custodial mother whose ex has visitation) I agree with pink that it's a bit over the top. Personally, as I previously stated, I would be insulted if someone didn't take my word for something. Why would I (or the op in this case) lie?

Also, my vet keeps all the records for my two pets, and it would cost me time and money to get records.

My ex takes my word for things, as I do for him. If one of us doubted the truthfulness of the other, we would pursue it further in conversation, explain why we felt the way we did.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 08-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilamom View Post
Ok, I will try to make this brief. DP and I live together. We have 2 dogs and a cat (that are technically mine). DSS is here Thursday nights and every other weekend. DSS's Mom has demanded, several times, that DP give her copies of the vet records for my animals. DSS has previously had MRSA infections (I believe he picked them up from the children's hospital in our town, as he has had a few medical procedures there) and currently has a spot on his arm that has flared up. DSS's Mom has repeatedly told DP that dogs carry MRSA, hence the request for my vet records. DSS had his first MRSA infection before he ever started coming around my dogs. Oh, she also wants to know how I get the dogs groomed...I don't get them groomed, they are short hair dogs. So...to my point here, should I give her copies of the vet records?

I have 3 thoughts about this:

1. DSS's Mom and I don't speak and have never met. If she wants those records, she can contact me (she has my number and email address) and ask for them herself. After all, they aren't technically DP's pets, they are mine.

2. I'm not giving them to her, she can get a court order to get them from me. I think it's intrusive and overbearing. I think if we start appeasing these types of requests from her, they will just get worse.

3. I think it's ridiculous that she thinks my dogs gave DSS MRSA. Isn't it true that once you have it, you have it in your system forever and will experience flare-ups?

I would love your input about this, because I have a tendency to overreact to things...expecially where she is concerned. It is difficult to determine what is a reasonable request and what is completely over the top.
The OP never once says the her DP told mom that the dogs are fine, and he couldn't because the dogs haven't been screened. OP is immediately on the defensive about the request and doesn't even actually know that animals can actually carry MRSA. So instead of getting on the defense, thinking Mom is being intrusive and overbearing, which she is not, she could have just called the vet and talked to him/her about the MRSA concerns that mom had and relayed that info to mom.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM

I think it's inappropriate. Your medical records are yours and yours alone. Why hasn't she asked if YOU are a carrier?

I think a more appropriate route for her to have taken would have been to offer to pay for testing of your dogs and then you could give her THOSE results. She doesn't need to see your spay and shot record. It's none of her business and personally no vet has ever tested any of my pets for mrsa. though one did get tested for the swine flu! I didn't know until i got the results lol. (neg :P )

but if she is going to go that far (and if she's scared I understand) then I think she should also offer to pay for your screenings.. but if he is a carrier wouldn't you all have it? Wouldn't he himself given it to your dogs?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
I think it's inappropriate. Your medical records are yours and yours alone. Why hasn't she asked if YOU are a carrier?

I think a more appropriate route for her to have taken would have been to offer to pay for testing of your dogs and then you could give her THOSE results. She doesn't need to see your spay and shot record. It's none of her business and personally no vet has ever tested any of my pets for mrsa. though one did get tested for the swine flu! I didn't know until i got the results lol. (neg :P )

but if she is going to go that far (and if she's scared I understand) then I think she should also offer to pay for your screenings.. but if he is a carrier wouldn't you all have it? Wouldn't he himself given it to your dogs?
She isn't asking for the OP's medical records and nobody communicated anything to her except NO. Its ridiculous. The OP's attitude towards her dp's son's mom is why people have problems co-parenting.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
She isn't asking for the OP's medical records and nobody communicated anything to her except NO. Its ridiculous. The OP's attitude towards her dp's son's mom is why people have problems co-parenting.
Demanding things instead of having a conversation about them also contributes to the breakdown of the co-parenting relationship.

DH and DSD's mom have a pretty darn good co-parenting relationship, and part of the reason is because it would not even cross their minds to demand records for something. They talk about things, and they take each others' word for it. Most likely because they are both equal parents to the same child and have the child's best interests at heart - DH has no more interest in putting his DD in danger than her mom does.

Granted, we haven't heard much about the dad's opinion in this case, but I hate how whatever the mom is feeling always seems to trump whatever the dad is feeling on MDC. IME, if the mom is worried about something, it is automatically legit, or if not, it is excused because she is the mom and worried about her kid. If the dad is worried, he is probably just poking around to find a way to get more parenting time so he can lower CS, and his concerns are silly. It is so one-sided - just give the mom what she wants so she can stop worrying (whether or not her actual motives include worry over her child). I can just about guarantee that if this thread was posted by the mom and the dad was demanding vet records (or worse yet, the girlfriend of the dad), most of the responses would have been that he has no right to ask for that sort of thing.

Bottom line, though - if your can't even trust the word of your co-parent, then your problems are much bigger than vet records.

And, yes, my vet charges for copies of records.

love.gif

Old 08-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Well, I kindly disagree. Vet records ARE medical records and ARE hers. She paid for them, they are her babies. I would not feel comfortable at all if someone had all my pet records. My pets are my babies and I don't need anyone trying funny business with MY records. What if she were to manipulate them and make some weird claims and get the dogs put down or start harassing the vet. People do weird things.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
Well, I kindly disagree. Vet records ARE medical records and ARE hers. She paid for them, they are her babies. I would not feel comfortable at all if someone had all my pet records. My pets are my babies and I don't need anyone trying funny business with MY records. What if she were to manipulate them and make some weird claims and get the dogs put down or start harassing the vet. People do weird things.
You really can't put yourself in the other woman's position?

Imagine if your child had a serious, life-threatening medical issue that very well could be exacerbated by your ex's pets. You'd be okay not knowing if those pets were contributing to your son's issues?

I think some of you don't appreciate how serious and painful and awful MRSA is. It's a REALLY BIG DEAL and that the OP is going to "power-tripping" before "valid concern for her child" as the step-mom's motive (the step-mom she's never met, so has no objective way of knowing what this woman is like) isn't helping her step-son in any way.

The whole point of co-parenting is to put these petty adult issues away until the child has been cared for, and frankly, it doesn't look like that's what's happening.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM

I just thought of something...is it possible that your dp has been poor in his communication? My dh usually is. I could totally see a conversation with my Dh, "what about the dogs", Oh there fine, "have they been checked" I don't know i'm sure they are ok, "I'm worry about this please can you ask" sure...then continued conversations to finally demanding that she get something of assurance.

I guess I'm just wondering how much has been lost down the party line...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
2. I'm not giving them to her, she can get a court order to get them from me. I think it's intrusive and overbearing. I think if we start appeasing these types of requests from her, they will just get worse.
I think that if the animals are going to be around her children, she has every right to have access to the vet records.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
I just thought of something...is it possible that your dp has been poor in his communication? My dh usually is. I could totally see a conversation with my Dh, "what about the dogs", Oh there fine, "have they been checked" I don't know i'm sure they are ok, "I'm worry about this please can you ask" sure...then continued conversations to finally demanding that she get something of assurance.

I guess I'm just wondering how much has been lost down the party line...
Same here (with my ex though) - good intentions, honest - but but poor communication skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I think that if the animals are going to be around her children, she has every right to have access to the vet records.
So do you ask to see the vet records of every animal the child is around? Or every other person for that matter. This is getting a bit crazy...

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

In response to a few comments on here...

I jumped to this being an overbearing request from DSS's Mother because every other piece of information she has gotten about me she has used against me. DP told her where I worked and what I did, and she sent letters to my boss's boss and HR of the larger organization I work for and tried to get me fired and sent items that DP bought for DSS to my boss's boss. She asked DP for our address and my phone number, and then tried to get him to sign some document (with our address and my phone number on it) about how he violated some agreement he didn't know they had. So yeah, this is one more thing that I am very apprehensive to give her more access to documentation. I wouldn't put it past her to call my vet's office or to make some report about the animals that isn't exactly true. There is a lot of negativity in this relationship that I didn't instigate and didn't put there. We have had very limited contact.

DP has told her that he would ask about the records. I have told him what I found out from our vet and I am letting him take care of it. Whether she believes what he says or not, I don't know. They have a very toxic relationship, so I don't know what will come out of it.

About DSS's health - I am concerned that he has MRSA, so is his father. I'm not sure what getting the dogs tested for something that they may or may not have (and as I previously posted is extremely expensive since they are asymptomatic) will benefit at this point. He doesn't have frequently reocurring infections at this point. His mother didn't even tell DP that he had an initial infection with MRSA, only casually mentioning it many months after he had it and now coming out with this most recent request of getting the vet records. Her actions about his health and related issues make me think she thinks that DP has to earn the right to information about his son. I'm not sure if she wants them tested for MRSA or if she just feels she needs to see the vet records. I get that she is being protective, but DSS's father is just as protective of him.

There's a much larger negative dynamic to this relationship than I originally stated. I just didn't want to do something to feed into her using information to hurt us. As I said before, with her past history dealing with DP, it's really hard for us to determine what is a valid request and what is over the top.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
woah WOAH WOAH!!!!

so it is not a 'simple' request of the vet records. woah!!!! there's a LOT more involved.

that changes things quite a bit.

and now i can totally understand your hesitation.

i am sooo sorry things are sooo complicated.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM

1. DSS's Mom and I don't speak and have never met. If she wants those records, she can contact me (she has my number and email address) and ask for them herself. After all, they aren't technically DP's pets, they are mine. Actually the BD of the child should be the person handling all of this information. I would not get involved in communication with the ex-wife. That is just going to cause you issues in the long term.

2. I'm not giving them to her, she can get a court order to get them from me. I think it's intrusive and overbearing. I think if we start appeasing these types of requests from her, they will just get worse.You should take the steps necessary to verify that your dogs are not carriers. If they are and the child is getting it from them then it would be your responsibility to take care of that or Dad can have visit elsewhere. I wold fully expect my child to be safe in his dad's home and not be acquiring MRSA from your (general) pets. The test results should be given to the mom to show that you took the issues seriously. MRSA is deadly.

3. I think it's ridiculous that she thinks my dogs gave DSS MRSA. Isn't it true that once you have it, you have it in your system forever and will experience flare-ups? Yes, animals do carry MRSA. Please have your pets tested.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 AM

OP... I would have your DP ( if he hasnt but sounds like he has) tell her your dogs are up to date on their vaccines and healthy. With your second post from some of the stuff she has done I would be VERY guarded in any info I supplied. Im with you on the if she wants more info she can go to court and get the court order. I've also had an XP who soul purpose in life was to cause me issues. I know where your coming from.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

User Tag List