Utterly. Speechless. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story (isn't it always) but the short of it is...

The last time we saw DSS he was 7. He's 13 now, and not being 'allowed' in his life has been an unending source of grief and heartache for DH. We've been allowed no contact, nada the entire time. What set her off years ago was that DSS was begging to stay with us for a weekend. He'd never been allowed overnight with us (no reason btw, she just has to control EVERYTHING) and he finally pestered her enough that she said yes. It happened ONE time, and he was so happy he begged for the next (weekend) night. She lost it, and we never saw him again. She spent weeks afterwards leaving messages that DSS was 'so upset' about 'being forced' to spend the night (??) and that contact wasn't a good idea. Abruptly she stopped returning phone calls, so DH went over there one night and tried to talk to her. She paraded DSS out and demanded he tell DH 'the truth' that he didn't want to see us anymore. She told DH that she was dating a new guy and that 'new guy' was DSS's daddy now, so just get out of their lives. So yeah, she's vile. He tried for a few months, but every time she dragged DSS into it and the alienation was horrible. At one point she left him a message that we'd regret it if he kept pushing her for contact, and a week later we recieved a call from the police that an abuse investigation had been opened. We hadn't seen DSS in six months at that point, but she filed a damn police report saying we'd abused him. There's more but you get the drift. At any rate, she prevented all contact, moved to a new apartment and changed phones so that's where we ended up.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. almost six years later.

DH gets a text out of the BLUE saying "Do you have ANY interest in talking to DSS? I think it's time to clear the air so he can get this off his chest. He doesn't want to see you but I think he needs to get this over with and move on" He actually had to read it 3 times because he didn't recognize the number and we know a few people with the same name as DSS. Then it clicked.

Oh. My God. Of COURSE DH wants to see him??? He begged and pleaded to see him, he never stopped thinking about him, he ADORES his son!! I have to admit I'm kinda fond of him myself, we got to know him pretty well when we were allowed to see him and he meshed really well with our family at the time.

So her thing is wanting to micromanage everything and maintain total control over the situation. She thrives on yanking DH around, and he's just not interested in that anymore, so we came up with a plan. Make it clear he's absolutely welcome here anytime, but we're not going to hand her opportunities to play power hungry control freak games.

He texted back about an hour later that he was doing yard work and she could drop him off as he'd love to take a break and hang out with DSS. She immediately replied back that she preferred they talk on the phone. In the past she's used phone contact to really make life hell for DSS, standing over him and telling him what to say. So no, that's not going to fly for a reunification. DH just repeated that she can drop him off and he'd love to hang out with him. Then she said DSS "might not be comfortable with that" so she'd check with him. An hour and a half later she texts saying DSS 'needs me to stay with him" so is DH willing to still see him. DH texts back saying of course, but we're on the way to the gym now (it's been almost 2 hours, we told the kids we'd go play bball after yardwork) so she could bring him there. The gym is actually right by her apartment so it was more convenient anyways. She texts that she's on the way.

She wanted to come in the gym but it's member's only, so whew! DH was SO nervous, but he did AMAZING! DSS got out of the car and went over to DH, DH asked if he could give him a hug and DSS just lit up with a grin and said YES! And they hugged for five minutes LOL

xGF said she would wait in the parking lot. Fiiiiiiiine.

We played bball and had a great time, then we went to get a bite to eat. DSS went and begged his mom to let him come, it took 15 minutes of him begging before she finally relented. He kept telling us "I was so angry at you for leaving me, I was SO ANGRY" and DH just told him "you have every right to be angry, I know it doesn't make sense to you, I'm sorry if I let you down, there's a lot that's hard to understand with this, but I love you, I've always wanted you"

DSS then says that a year ago he was hospitalized for suicide attempts. DH asked why he was suicidal and DSS said because his mom showed him a pic of DH with our family (we have a few very distant acquaintances in common, we think it's a pic from a work event a few years ago) and told DSS "See? He's moved on, he doesn't want you, he never did" DSS told us he felt so worthless he wanted to die.

In the middle of this his mom called. DH didn't answer and handed the phone to DSS, she immediately started talking and a few minutes into it DSS said umm....this is DSS....your SON....not dad. I'd love to know what she was saying LOLOL! So he immediately asked to spend the night with us. She said no (which, honestly, we would have said too as it was 9 at night and enough emotional roller coaster for the day already). Then he said well I want to see him tomorrow. SHe said no, she has to work so he's going to grandmas. He said ok you don't have to work Sunday I want to see him Sunday. She said no, I'm not working so that's my time with you. We're really wondering if/when we'll get to see him again. Ugh.

She said to have him home at ten, of course she texted starting at 9:30 every five minutes 'reminding' DH of this. We got him home at ten on the dot. He told DH he really wants to come over Sunday to help with yardwork. We got some great pics, he got to meet his younger sisters for the first time, and he was all smiles and tears, just hanging on DH and loving on him...it was quite an awesome reunion.

He asked me to please get him pictures for his room and locker, I said I'd get right on that He said he's bullied a lot because he looks different (minority) and because he's not into sports or computers (he's an artist), and he said he doesn't have any friends He said they got their tv and internet and home phones shut off because his mom and dad didn't pay the bill. (step dad, but this is the same 'new daddy' from long ago so at least it's consistent, seems like an ok guy actually). He said his parents have facebook but he can't because his mom said people will bully him and treat him badly. Ugh.

So I'm furious that anyone would say such horrid things to their own child, when she knows good and damn well how much DH loves and wants DSS in his life. I'm THRILLED that DH was able to see him and be SO empathetic to his feelings, they really connected, and for a kid to be able to tell his own dad "I'm really mad about xyz with you" I thought was a great sign that DSS and DH still have that bond they always did.

So much for a normal weekend

Any thoughts? I know people here have dealt with hypercontrolling ex's and such, and long stretches of no contact and all that, so talk to me

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#2 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Is it a money issue that has prevented you guys from going to court? It is absolutely heartbreaking that this woman has so much control and has manipulated her son into suicidal ideation. I hope that involving the authorities is possible.

Also, I am thrilled that you guys got to see him again and hope that it can continue. Getting a lawyer is the best way to ensure that.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#3 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Money is definitely an issue, and we've dealt with court battles before so we're very familiar with the options. A big part of the problem is we aren't in an area that really cares about DH's rights to DSS and we know it. We're in a smaller town with some really archaic mentalities, so it's a losing battle unless we are able to go in all guns blazing. Not saying we wont, but we just aren't in a position to do that right now.

Honestly I think she's screwed the pooch on this. He's 13 and angsty anyways, she's spent years trying to convince him we don't love/want him, and his first meeting with us makes it clear that's not the case and they picked up where they left off for all intents and purposes. He said his mom told him to meet with DH to 'have it out' and 'get it over with' so I don't think she had any intention of it going well. My guess is that she's trying to figure out what to do about that unexpected backfire so it really could get ugly.

She never does anything without an ulterior motive, so we're thinking he must be having problems with him if she's reaching out to DH, at least that's our theory. We know it's too early to get our hopes up, but we're really hoping he wants to live here with us. You can see so much pain in his eyes, he just kept saying "I was so MAD at you, mom said you didn't want me so I didn't want to live" and DH kept his arm around him and kissed his head and said DSS, I love you, I always have, I always wanted you, you are everything to me, just as much as DD1, DD2, and DD3. You are always welcome with us, you're our family too"

poor baby It breaks my heart that she's put him through that. I wish it was as simple as getting to court, but it's not. Not right now at least.

#4 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 AM

I grew up in between two parents who had me when they were really young and my father got custody. He kept me from my mother, very much in this same way, and when I turned 12 (the age when you can decide for yourself which parent to live with) I moved in with my mother. Is there anything that is keeping you from having him live at your house? His mother sounds very unstable and controlling.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think (hope) it's heading in that direction but obviously nothing happens overnight and this all just happened in a whirlwind yesterday evening, so we're really in shock. Just from a developmental standpoint of a 13yo boy wanting to be closer to his dad instead of his mom, and then add in that he's having this conflict of "my mom told me xyz but my personal experience with my dad was TOTALLY different" is going to really create a schism of thought that could very well lead to "I want to live with dad". The problem is, with parental alienation, she's created in him such a fierce dependency that he's tremendously insecure and blindly loyal to her. So pushing him on that would backlash on his relationship with DH, and we need to tread gently.

Our plan is this. Continue to be 100% open to him being here anytime she's willing to allow it. Make sure they get some alone time without being completely alone (she's known for false abuse allegations), and be available for him to reintegrate into our family as often as possible. I think she's created a real conflict though because seeing his dad made him want DH so SO much, and we think she really believed she had him programmed well enough to go off on DH, and the opposite happened. So if we let her be the one blatantly interfering, he's going to see that and...being a teenager...he's going to make that difficult for her.

We're looking into getting him a cell phone on our plan, as Verizon as awesome parental controls and we can just program in our numbers, his mom's number, and his stepdad's number so we don't have to worry about her 'accidentally' using up minutes or something stupid. But since they don't have a home phone anymore, that means for now all access is through her, which is bad. If we can circumvent that while facilitating access to all of us, we're willing to do it-I think adding a line is 10 bucks a month. We think that's the first step in opening the door a bit more to direct communication with him?

I know this is all kind of rambling, but it's just a jumble of thoughts and feelings right now. This is totally unexpected, and we're over the moon excited LOL

Oh and he didn't know his address?? He's lived there for 4+ years, he's 13, and he doesn't know his address? We're wondering if she told him not to tell us. Even though we took him home after dinner, so umm WEIRD?

#6 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 04:14 PM

I think getting the phone is a good idea, but beware of her taking it and turning it off. I wouldnt be surprised if she just wouldnt let him use it because she is controlling. I think people like her are convienced that if they let go of ANY control the person will run the other direction. Honestly, thats probably what would happen too.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Maybe I missed it but ya'll need to hire an attorney, like, years ago. I'd work my butt the the bone if money was an issue. I cannot fathom anything that would keep me from my child. Regardless, so sorry your family is going through this. What a terrible mess

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#8 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Why did your husband never fight for legal child custody? I don't get it. The mom is a psycho. Why wouldn't DH want to protect your DSS from her?
#9 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post
Maybe I missed it but ya'll need to hire an attorney, like, years ago. I'd work my butt the the bone if money was an issue. I cannot fathom anything that would keep me from my child. Regardless, so sorry your family is going through this. What a terrible mess
I totally agree. No matter how small/backwards the town, I would get the best lawyer(s) possible and fight for this child.
#10 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yes we're aware that needs to be a priority. Please keep in mind we didn't know where they were for the last 5, almost 6 years. She vanished. She has nothing in her name, no utilities, nothing. I'm very good at PI work and I couldn't find her. It's not like he just sat back and said screw it.

She just reappeared yesterday out of nowhere at 5pm on a Friday. It's not like we can even DO anything, even if we had some mysterious windfall of finances. We know the apartment complex she lives in, but we don't have an address yet. The last thing we want is to rattle her enough that she vanishes again. Please try to understand. She contacted us, we immediately moved forward. Any insinuation that we're not doing enough is really hurtful. We love this boy, we have to handle things delicately to prevent further backlash. Nothing that has happened is worthy of CPS or Police intervening in his placement, whether we agree with that or not.

I'd love to pretend that even if we had money, this would be solvable immediately. But it's not like that. I've been an advocate for divorced families in the courts for over a decade, I'm VERY familiar with all of that, as is DH. The most important thing we can do RIGHT NOW is A) be there for him B) let her maintain her perception of control C) let DSS see her controlling behavior as what is interfering with his relationship with his dad.

I'm sorry if I sound snappy. I'm exhausted, this has been a LONG 24 hours. DSS called DH from grandmas today and told him he wants to come over Sunday. We're not sure if xGF is aware or ok with this yet because last we knew she said no...so we have to wait till she's off work to find out what is going on. We know he's off school Monday so we're hoping she changed her mind. We'll see.

#11 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Theoretica, I think you guys are doing great and have handled the last couple of days very gracefully. The fact that you guys didn't lay blame on his mom and tell him how bsc she is is commendable. I think that others mean well in urging you to DO something but I think you are definitely on the right track at this point with a cautious, wait and see plan.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#12 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
Yes we're aware that needs to be a priority. Please keep in mind we didn't know where they were for the last 5, almost 6 years. She vanished. She has nothing in her name, no utilities, nothing. I'm very good at PI work and I couldn't find her. It's not like he just sat back and said screw it.

She just reappeared yesterday out of nowhere at 5pm on a Friday. It's not like we can even DO anything, even if we had some mysterious windfall of finances. We know the apartment complex she lives in, but we don't have an address yet. The last thing we want is to rattle her enough that she vanishes again. Please try to understand. She contacted us, we immediately moved forward. Any insinuation that we're not doing enough is really hurtful. We love this boy, we have to handle things delicately to prevent further backlash. Nothing that has happened is worthy of CPS or Police intervening in his placement, whether we agree with that or not.

I'd love to pretend that even if we had money, this would be solvable immediately. But it's not like that. I've been an advocate for divorced families in the courts for over a decade, I'm VERY familiar with all of that, as is DH. The most important thing we can do RIGHT NOW is A) be there for him B) let her maintain her perception of control C) let DSS see her controlling behavior as what is interfering with his relationship with his dad.

I'm sorry if I sound snappy. I'm exhausted, this has been a LONG 24 hours. DSS called DH from grandmas today and told him he wants to come over Sunday. We're not sure if xGF is aware or ok with this yet because last we knew she said no...so we have to wait till she's off work to find out what is going on. We know he's off school Monday so we're hoping she changed her mind. We'll see.
I just wanted to send hugs and all my best wishes and thoughts. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through right now.
#13 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The most important thing we can do RIGHT NOW is A) be there for him B) let her maintain her perception of control C) let DSS see her controlling behavior as what is interfering with his relationship with his dad.
You don't sound snappy at all. You sound clear, level-headed, logical and totally on the right path. Actions speak louder than words - it's a cliche, but it is true. Your actions, your behavior, your consistency, kindness and honesty will eventually sink in over time and your DSS will grasp this. Right now you must all be in shock - not the least of all DSS. Even if it is lovely shock, it is still shock. I wish you all as smooth a ride as can be possible under the circumstances.
#14 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM

#1- Why didn't your husband fight for access to his child?

#2- If your step-son had shown up with broken ribs, bruises and cigarette burns, would you guys still have thought it was too much, for him to spend the night with you? I assume you would've been alarmed and would have done whatever you could to keep him with you, until you sorted out who was abusing him. You probably would have contacted authorities, to intervene. What his ex is doing to your step-son is abuse. It really is. If you need confirmation, there's the suicide attempt. This woman shouldn't have custody of him.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#15 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post
#1- Why didn't your husband fight for access to his child?

#2- If your step-son had shown up with broken ribs, bruises and cigarette burns, would you guys still have thought it was too much, for him to spend the night with you? I assume you would've been alarmed and would have done whatever you could to keep him with you, until you sorted out who was abusing him. You probably would have contacted authorities, to intervene. What his ex is doing to your step-son is abuse. It really is. If you need confirmation, there's the suicide attempt. This woman shouldn't have custody of him.
#1. She already answered this.

#2. What the ex is doing may very well be abuse, but probably not in the eyes of the courts. I trust that Theoretica (whose posts I've been reading for years, and have learned is a fantastic, loving, involved mother) understands the court system and cultural mentality of her area.
Additionally, a suicide attempt is not, in itself, a sign of abuse.

Theoretica,
I think you're doing a great job and making good choices in your circumstances. I hope that this is the beginning some big, positive changes for your DSS and your family. My thoughts are with you and yours during this time.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#16 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
it's a losing battle unless we are able to go in all guns blazing. Not saying we wont, but we just aren't in a position to do that right now.
Going to court pro se - especially if this kid is old enough to verbalize his own experiences!!! - is better than leaving him in the situation he's in.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#17 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post
Emotional abuse and PAS are very hard to prove in court. You can't just jump into it, you need very careful planning, alot of luck, and an empathetic judge. And suicide attempts are not always a sign of abuse, and could easily be turned around to be made someone else's "fault", if you're not careful. OP, play nice, document, get your legal stuff in gear, and be very, very careful.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#18 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the story is too complicated to explain on a discussion board to strangers, but just wondering why the fact that the ex disappeared w/ your husband's child for 5 years doesn't give him a legal case? This would be child abduction, and there is certainly documentation, right? Unless of course he lost all rights to the kid early on, which means that he does have to tread on egg shells right now. However, this woman is being emotionally abusive to the kid (ex. telling him that his dad doesn't want to see him, that he abandoned him, etc...). You briefly mentioned that she makes up charges of abuse attributed to your husband, so I'm wondering if somehow she screwed him out of partial custody years ago. Tough position to be in, but perhaps now is the time to seek legal counsel.
#19 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 10:59 AM

OP, You sound like a very level-headed Mama. I know how hard custody battles are, I know how hard dealing with an emotionally abusive, controlling ex is. I also know that things are never as easy as "why didn't you fight for custody?" ... things are just never that cut and dry. Chances are you wouldn't be able to prove anything and would only end up in debt. (I know from experience) The abuse allegations were more then likely her way of ensuring that your DH would not be able to get custody. My DH had a completely fabricated civil protection order filed against him so she could keep him from getting shared custody. Thankfully the judge saw through her stupidity and threw it out. (It helped that I was a witness to this alleged choking incident, lol) If I were you, I would actually call CPS and see what, if any, action can be taken through them instead. Tell them that your DSS has admitted he was suicidal because of things his mother said to him and what can be done. I am not one to advise CPS in most situations but it sounds like he is in danger and they might be a big help... or none at all () but at least you will have tried. ((((((((huge hugs))))))))) After 10 years of dealing with my husband's ex's mental instabilities, emotional abuse, controlling ways, I can sympathize with you. I hope things turn out in the best way possible for this young man... I'm amazed at your patience with the situation. It takes a lot of strength to be a step-mom and have little to no control of what happens at her house.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#20 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached2Elijah View Post
I also know that things are never as easy as "why didn't you fight for custody?" ... things are just never that cut and dry.
I'm sure that's true, but if that thought is crossing the minds of several posters here, it's definitely crossing the mind of the OP's DSS too, and children who feel abandoned aren't always receptive to all the factors that led to their perceived abandonment.

OP, I'm glad your DSS and DH connected so well at your get-together. How awful it must be to have to deal with such a destructive mother, and how very sad for your DSS.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#21 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I'm sure that's true, but if that thought is crossing the minds of several posters here, it's definitely crossing the mind of the OP's DSS too, and children who feel abandoned aren't always receptive to all the factors that led to their perceived abandonment.
I'm sure it has... and unfortunately, that's not always something we can control. We do the best we can with the hand we are given and sometimes that's not what is best for our step-children despite our best tries. Remember, this is a step-mother that is posting. Step-mothers have absolutely NO legal rights. Sure, we can lead our husbands in the direction that is what we think is right but ultimately, it comes down to the 2 biological parents in what happens. For some reason, her DH didn't pursue the custody angle. I don't know exactly why that is... but I DO know that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of reasons why it's not as easy as taking someone to court and a judge awarding custody to who says they are the better parent. It's expensive, time consuming and virtually impossible for a father to get custody without a clear cut case of abuse.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#22 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
#1. She already answered this.

#2. What the ex is doing may very well be abuse, but probably not in the eyes of the courts....
Additionally, a suicide attempt is not, in itself, a sign of abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post
Emotional abuse and PAS are very hard to prove in court. You can't just jump into it, you need very careful planning, alot of luck, and an empathetic judge. And suicide attempts are not always a sign of abuse, and could easily be turned around to be made someone else's "fault", if you're not careful.
Sometimes I don't have time to read all the other replies and just respond to the original post. So, sorry, Theoretica - you did answer my 1st question before I asked it.

Of course I do not think that every suicide attempt by a child is a sign of parental abuse. In this case, the child clearly said he attempted suicide in reaction to things said by his mother that were cruel, intentionally hurtful and untrue. It was due to abuse, no different than a kid who attempts or commits suicide due to cyber-bullying. And in such cases, people generally don't question the connection.

Emotional abuse and efforts at parental alienation on the part of the custodial parent (the child probably does not have P.A.S., if he seems so open to a relationship with the father) are easier to deal with in court, when:

1- There is hard evidence, such as the custodial parent disappearing and preventing contact with the NCP for years (and hopefully that was in defiance of a court order?); and/or

2- The child is at or near the age when the court is required to consider his stated wishes, in determining custody; and he is able and willing to verbalize the manipulation by his mother and the direct effect on his mental health. If he's uncomfortable testifying (what kid wouldn't be?), he could talk with a guardian ad litem, a counselor or, better yet, a custodial evaluator, who could testify on his behalf.

If a community is so backward that no judge there could be relied upon to consider giving a father custody, when a mother upsets the child to the point of suicide by trying to convince him his father doesnt want him, when it was, in fact, she who thwarted father/son contact, for years on end... then that's what appeals are for. They're made to a larger panel of judges, with a bigger jursidiction that just that community.

#23 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 AM

I think you should give him dad's email. He can still email him from school behind mom's back.

I think you should still actively seek partial custody or at least court ordered visits. how much does it cost to at least ask a court for that? Squeaky wheel and all.

Sounds like the mom and dad left on some very bad terms. Isn't there an after marriage counseling for kid's sake that happens. I forget what you call it. I wonder if she can be ordered to attend. Saying cruel things like that is a form of abuse. Why is she going through such lengths.

I know you're broke and think no one cares but I think he should resubmit his request for visitations every month till he's 18 if that's what it takes. And yeah, file for child abduction if she leaves again.

It's all very sad
#24 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I will definitely respond to everyone when I have more time, but wanted to give a quick update...

She brought him over at 11am yesterday, said he had to be home by 8pm so he could go to grandmas in the morning, as he's out of school for the day and she's working.

He begged DH to stay the night, we encouraged him to call and ask her as we *know* she'll tell DH no.

DH could hear her yelling at him from across the driveway on the phone, and DH wears hearing aids. She asked him "don't you STINK? you have to SHOWER, I know you're STINKY" and he said MOOOOOMMMMMM you could say BO or something!!!! It's more MANLY!!! Her response?? "MANLY?? You're not a MAN, you're 13 years old, you're a BOY"

She relented about him staying the night and this morning we texted her saying we'll bring him home when she's off work, as there's no reason for him to be at grandmas when Dad is available and willing for him to be here. She said fine, but we KNOW she is furious that he wanted to stay.

The plan today is to get him set up with an email account that we own, a Facebook account that routes to OUR email (so she can't sabotage that), and get him a cell phone. We also plan to include him in the allowance that our other kids get, and he's agreed to spend $5/month of his money on insurance for the phone.

He is FIERCELY loyal to his mom. It's unreal. She treats him like dirt and he kept saying "My mom can't help it, she doesn't have any money, she's really stressed" etc. When we were talking to him about a phone (all our older kids have/had one as soon as they started heading off with friends, so he's older than our youngest kid with a phone, he's not being treated differently than the other kids in our house or anything) he said his mom "doesn't trust him" and then kept saying "it's not my moms fault I don't have a phone, she can't afford it".

There's more, I'll be back

#25 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post
I grew up in between two parents who had me when they were really young and my father got custody. He kept me from my mother, very much in this same way, and when I turned 12 (the age when you can decide for yourself which parent to live with) I moved in with my mother. Is there anything that is keeping you from having him live at your house? His mother sounds very unstable and controlling.
My childhood was similar, my father was abusive, the judge gave custody to my dad (he can be very persuasive/manipulative/charming/whatever). It took me until I was 15 to get the courage to tell my mom to move forward with the paperwork to change custody. I also was close to suicide, but not hospitalized because only 1 or 2 friends knew, many times.

Now, at 33 I'm ok, after years of therapy, I finished college last year, and am moving on with my life. But it's been a very difficult journey.

Maybe next time you see DSS you can buy him a Tracfone, keep minutes loaded on it, suggest he not share it with his mom (she might take it away) and tell him he can call any time if things are bad. Then HE has an out.

I don't know what to suggest with the finances, but see if there are family lawyers near-by that will give a free consultation. Your DH should at least have legal visiting rights (every other weekend, every other holiday, 2 weeks in the summer is usually a minimum). He may have to pay childsupport, but it may save this boy. At this point he is at serious risk of not having a future due to depression/loss of self esteem. He may turn to drugs (our middle school has herion dealers! It's available to kids that age.)

In my opinion, if anyone has a chance to make these things change you and your family do, and it should be done soon. The high school years are even harder.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#26 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Just saw your update, I'm so glad you are doing what you are doing!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#27 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
He is FIERCELY loyal to his mom. It's unreal. She treats him like dirt and he kept saying "My mom can't help it, she doesn't have any money, she's really stressed" etc. When we were talking to him about a phone... he said his mom "doesn't trust him" and then kept saying "it's not my moms fault I don't have a phone, she can't afford it".
Yes, kids are often fiercely loyal to a parent they sense is emotionally fragile or unstable.

But, after so many years of no contact, there is a definite plus in the fact that he defends her, but is not treating your DP the same way she does. He is capable of recognizing that she has deficiencies and that she has misrepresented things about his father. He just doesn't want her to be criticized or suffer consequences - perhaps because he thinks she couldn't handle it.

He might be too concerned for her welfare - and too attached to her - to say the worst things in a forum where he knows his mom might be penalized, like court. But if he will be as forthcoming with a counselor (or, as I said before, a g.a.l. or custody evaluator) as he was with you two, then the objective professionals can discuss his situation and decide what's best for him, without him being forced to choose one parent over another. Just because he loves her does not mean it's healthy for him to live with her - especially if she does/says things to hurt him and he still feels compelled to defend her. Think about what this is teaching him, in terms of the treatment he should tolerate from future girlfriends or wives. This is about his whole life, not just the issues between the parents.

#28 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really good point, there was a time he was treating DH that badly, right before she vanished with him, so this is a good sign.

We got him set up on facebook He made lots of friends this weekend and they've all 'added' him already, so we're so happy for him.

The phone wasn't in stock at the store, so we couldn't send him home with one. Ugh. Hoping we didn't miss a window there.

DH had to pull over when he was taking him home, he said he was just slumped over and SO sad.

I'm exhausted. More later.

#29 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Theoretica, I've been thinking about you and your family a lot. I don't have anything brilliant or helpful to add, but wanted to let you know that somewhere out there a stranger is thinking good thoughts for all of you. Keep up the good work, mama.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page