Separating w/ a 19 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

My partner and I are separating and we want to stay as amicable as possible.  One potential road block to a harmonious separation is that I currently co-sleep with our 19-month-old.

"Daddy" has never liked co-sleeping and thinks that I have breastfed too long.  (You see where our differences begin.)

He obviously wants to share custody.

Has anyone been through a similar situation?  Any advice as to how to help our daughter through this transition, especially at night?

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and his ex split when my step-daughter was younger than yours, still nursing and co-sleeping. There were lots of other differences between the two houses and she didn't have any issues adjusting to the differences between the two. She moved back and forth smoothly with different routines and living situations with each parent. 

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#3 of 3 Old 12-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The short answer is that you don't have control over what he does on his time at his house, and that it's his problem, not yours. 

At 19 months, I think I'd be planning a custody arrangement with a long view - does he want 50/50? If so, start it now and deal with the pain of it now, and hope that your DD doesn't remember that part and only remembers her two happy homes. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page