Stepfamily Survey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am a student at the University of Oregon and I am completing my honors thesis on the conflict in step-families. If you are a stepmother, please take a moment, if you can, to complete my survey regarding your experience. Your participation is completely anonymous, confidential, and would be greatly appreciated.

Access Survey Here

Thank you kindly

Mirranda Willette

University of Oregon

McNair Scholars Program

Sociology Honors Program

#2 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM

As the 'biological mother' I'm rather offended by this survey.  It's purpose seems to be proving that biological mothers are conflictual and is slanted one way.  ;(

#3 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM

This survey assumes I am not the biological mother...

you need to have a "Stepmother Survey".

TheSlingMama likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I do apologize, you are right it is from a stepmother's perspective and I should have titled it as such.  I apologize for any confusion this has caused.  I do want to assure you that the survey is not meant to slant the biological mother.  I am a biological mother too.

I have not figured out how to build a survey to asses these things from the biological mother's perspective, however, that is one of my goals.

Thanks for your honest feedback, and once again I am sorry if you found it offensive.

Regards,

Mirranda Willette

#5 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM

I want to conduct a survey on 50/50 custody as part of my Masters Thesis. How do you go about setting it up with the Forum?

Thanks!

#6 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM

No worries mama - I'm sorry if I sounded mean in my post.  It wasn't meant that way.  It was just an emotional day and then I thought I'd help a girl out and was put out.  My apologies!  I'm not sure exactly how to slant it the other way.  I'll have to think on that.

#7 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I want to express my gratitude for those of you who took the time to complete my survey.  I have only had the survey up for a short amount of time and have received a tremendous response.  I do need a few more responses, so if you know any stepmothers who could take a moment to participate, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Once again, thanks to all the mama's who have participated already.

Regards,

Mirranda

#8 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 02:20 PM

It's probably too late now, but for what it's worth, the question about custodial status needs clarification.  That question is early in the survey, before it becomes clear that the focus is the husband's ex, from the stepmother's perspective.  Without knowing whose ex (or whose kids), you're focusing on, it is inadequate to ask whether or not your household is "custodial" and how much time the kids spend with you.  My husband and I happen to both the custodial parents of our kids from before.  But that is unusual.  In many blended families, one parent (usually the wife) will have custody of her children from a previous marriage, while the husband's kids from his previous marriage may only visit.  Even in our case, my kids are only with us about half the time (because my ex lives in town), while my husband's son is with us almost all the time (because his ex lives out of state).  Something to think about, for next time.

mamamirranda likes this.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#9 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Jeannine,

Thank you so much for taking the survey. I agree, it was really hard to get the answer options to include all possible things.  I tried to include an other option in most of them, but I am not thinking I had one for that question.  You are right, it is from the perspective of the stepmother so the custodial status question is regarding the schedule the partner has in place.  If I have to recreate the survey for future use, I will make that clearer for sure.  Thanks for your feedback.

Mirranda

#10 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to keep the survey open through the weekend.  I would really love it if more mothering mamas could complete it.  I want to make sure it is as representative of your stories as possible--given the limitations of the survey itself shy.gif

I really appreciate those of you who have already responded; thank you again for your time and support!

Regards,

Mirranda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page