Need advice, hugs, a shoulder, ANYTHING over Mentally Ill step-daughter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is going to be long, I apologize in advance and appreciate anyone that gets through it.

I have been a step-mother to my SKs for 10 years now. My step-son really doesn't have much to do with us. His mother doesn't force him to do visitation nor do we. We understand his friends are more important to him right now and he's not happy here. Our households are VERY different and he prefers his mother's. Whatever, no biggie.

However, my step-daughter prefers here. She fits in here (or at least did) and is very much like DH and I. I love her as much as someone can love someone else's child. She has ALWAYS talked to me and we have had an extremely close relationship. She has been, simply, a joy to help raise.... until recently.

In January, she began to tell me that she thought she needed to see a therapist and that she was depressed. I encouraged her to tell her mother and have her get her an appointment ASAP. Her mother made the appointment eventually (after a month of DD asking) and it wasn't for another week and a half or so. During this time, DSD is dealing with bullying at the school she was in. (If you see my siggy, you'll understand why).... So she calls me on her cell from school one day in February and was having a rough day. She then proceeded to tell me that she has been having fleeting thoughts of suicide. She said she would never do it because she knows she has too many people that love her. I told her to call her mother IMMEDIATELY and tell her what she had just told me and to get her to a therapist TODAY and that if she didn't, I would be forced to call CPS and 911 because well, I don't take thoughts of suicide lightly, coming from a background of my own mental illnesses. She said she would....

The next thing I hear, a few hours later, is they are on their way to the local mental hospital because DSD THREATENED her mother with suicide. She then went through the halls of her current school screaming and basically acting like a raging maniac because she didn't want to go to a psychiatrist.... Ummmm WHAT?!!!! She had been telling me for months that she needed one and now she throws a fit over it? Confused.

So later that day, we get the call that DSD is being admitted to the Adolescent Psych Ward. She ended up staying for 12 days (usual stay is a week) and was diagnosed with Clinical Depression, Borderline Personality Traits and Anxiety. Okay, I do believe this and she starts on two different medicines which seemed to help. I say I believe this because, well, while I don't actually see her depressed, I know she is... at her mother's. She says the same. But when she is here, she's NOT at all. She laughs, she plays with the little kids, she smiles, she's ... well, normal.

We pulled her from the school she was in because of the bullying and put her in a more "gay friendly" school. The next few weeks go by, seemingly, without incident. A few calls that she doesn't "feel like being at school"...

Then Monday, we get a call saying that DSD has been cutting herself in the bathroom... apparently because her mother wouldn't come get her from school for again, not wanting to be there. So DH and BM talk to her and tell her that if that continues, she will have to go back to the psych ward. Two days later, DSD calls her mother from school saying she needs to go back... comes home and cuts her arms all up. So BM takes her back to the hospital and she is once again, admitted.

So Sunday, we go to visit. She then proceeds to tell us that she has heard voices her whole life. Well, long story short, no one believes it. Including the Psychiatrists... Her roommate was Schizophrenic and the same day that DSD started saying she heard voices, they changed her roommate. They said it's very common for kids to pick up traits from other kids while staying there but that the benefits outweigh the risk. I'm not so sure. The first time, she came home and started cutting herself, now voices?

Anyway, during this ALL DH and DSD have been talking about her moving here since she isn't depressed or anxious while here. The psychiatrist even initiated a conversation with DSD about talking to DH and BM together and making that happen so she could "heal" here. Initially, I thought this sounded reasonable and wanted DSD here, desperately. However, when we went to visit Sunday and I saw the cuts and listened to her talk about her "voices" I started to get very, very nervous about her potentially moving in with us. I am NOT equipped to deal with someone with this type of behavior, whether real or imagined. I don't know how to process ANY of this or even how to feel. I don't think it's the right thing for us, nor MY kids. She's unpredictable and I don't know how that would affect my children. Not to mention the hundreds of Doctor's appointments and stuff that would suddenly be MY responsibility. I tried to say something to DH about all of this but he instantly became offended and thought I said I was leaving if she did. I don't know how to broach it without him getting offended but I am also terrified of bringing her into our home full time.

Today, I got the call from BM that there was a request for a meeting with all 4 parents (DH,BM, Step-dad and myself)... which means it's going to be about her moving here. I instantly had a panic attack over it after she called. I just don't know what to do or feel over all of this....

So basically, I'm asking for advice, a shoulder, whatever you can offer because I just feel so confused.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#2 of 21 Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM

I couldnt read and not post. It sounds like your DSD is really lucky to have someone like you in her life. Please try to remember that you supported her, and her move to your home, until the "voices" issue. Just look at it as one more cry for help. I had a lot of friends in high school that pulled these types of situations (telling one adult one thing, another adult another thing, making themselves seem crazier than they were, and lying) and most of the time they were really wanting someone to love and trust them and treat them with respect. It is obvious that your DSD feels very different than her peers, I suggest she join some type of LGBT support group. I wish you the best of luck, and praise you for your dedication to helping her.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 21 Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached2Elijah View Post
 Initially, I thought this sounded reasonable and wanted DSD here, desperately. However, when we went to visit Sunday and I saw the cuts and listened to her talk about her "voices" I started to get very, very nervous about her potentially moving in with us. I am NOT equipped to deal with someone with this type of behavior, whether real or imagined.
So basically, I'm asking for advice, a shoulder, whatever you can offer because I just feel so confused.

I'm totally procrastinating, so I'll sub to the thread and come back. I just wanted to say, though, that no one is prepared for loving someone who is mentally ill. I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was 13. I've heard voices (bipolar psychosis, which is different from a psychotic break), cut myself, attempted suicide, the whole deal. It's tough. It's really, truly is. There are lots of resources out there for caregivers, and I'd start by seeking out some of those books and message boards to get advice from people who've parented someone with a mental illness.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#4 of 21 Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Just wanted to send you hug.gif and let you know I hope the meeting leads to the best steps being taken for your entire family.

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#5 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I couldnt read and not post. It sounds like your DSD is really lucky to have someone like you in her life. Please try to remember that you supported her, and her move to your home, until the "voices" issue. Just look at it as one more cry for help. I had a lot of friends in high school that pulled these types of situations (telling one adult one thing, another adult another thing, making themselves seem crazier than they were, and lying) and most of the time they were really wanting someone to love and trust them and treat them with respect. It is obvious that your DSD feels very different than her peers, I suggest she join some type of LGBT support group. I wish you the best of luck, and praise you for your dedication to helping her.

Thank you.I hate to be the parent that speaks ill of the BM but her mother is not accepting of her homosexuality and she is very angry over it. She is very religious and she refuses to let DSD talk to ANYONE about it, including joining a LBGT group. Which I believe is a very large part of ALL of this. DSD is, basically, being forced into the closet while she is at her mother's house and can feel the rejection. It's very hard for her to come here, where we accept her, love her and support her and then go home and not be able to be herself. She is miserable at her mother's house... and while I did/do want here with us because I know she is safer and healthier, the unknown scares me to death. Not so much, for me but for my small children. I can't, in a million years, see DSD doing anything to hurt them.... but right now, I feel like there is a side of her that I have NEVER known. I am seeing who she is at her mother's house and learning that there is a whole other side that I knew nothing about. It's very hard to take in and know what to expect if she does come live with us full time.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#6 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 AM

So sorry you've got to deal with this. I think your concerns are valid, however her life is very fragile and if she feels safer with you two, her symptoms may improve greatly under your roof.  Besides that, just you accepting who she is- then you may have huge props in her mind. Be honest with the counselors about your concerns- and be open to the possiblities. Hang in there momma!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#7 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:

I agree with this, I knew people in HS also who were not "dangerously" crazy because of cutting or suicidal thoughts. It sounds like she feels these things when she is dealing with her BM and since she is not accepted by her and not allowed to be herself there, it sounds like she is feeling desperately unhappy about having to be there or deal with BM at all. I really and truly know that desperate feeling and I hope it works out that she can stay with you in a place where she feels loved and accepted.

Good thoughts and prayers to you and your family, it sounds like a very difficult situation to be facing.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:

I think that this can't be overstated. The voices and the cutting both--she's hurting and doesn't know how to help herself. I would ask her doctors if they think she's a danger to your children--as someone with mental illness yourself, you understand that it's a very small minority of the mentally ill who becomes violent and dangerous. 

#9 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyNY View Post

I think that this can't be overstated. The voices and the cutting both--she's hurting and doesn't know how to help herself. I would ask her doctors if they think she's a danger to your children--as someone with mental illness yourself, you understand that it's a very small minority of the mentally ill who becomes violent and dangerous. 

Well, I have OCD and Social Anxiety so I don't exactly have experience with the things she is being diagnosed with. Actually, the voices and even the cutting don't scare me as much as the part of her mood disorder which makes her very manipulative. I don't EVER recall her manipulating us in the manner she does with her mother but just knowing it's there makes me nervous. I honestly wonder how much of it is an actual "disorder" and how much of it is a way she has finally found to make her mother listen and give her more respect and slack. She has never had any kind of two-way respectful relationship with her mother. Her mother is the kind of parent that expects her children to obey her simply because she is their mother... and DSD is the kind of person that wants and needs explanations for rules and expectations. We give ALL of our children this and encourage questions and discussion over things they disagree with. I think that is why this is all so hard for me to take in.... She doesn't do ANY of this stuff with us. I think the more I talk it out here, the more I realize there is a reason that she isn't doing it here. Apparently, we are doing something right for her and she IS mentally stable and healthy here. That makes me realize that while initially it might be a rough transition with the anxiety she feels toward her mother and upsetting her it's going to be rough but once she is here and not having to deal with the overly high expectations and over critical mother, we'll start seeing an improvement.

Today is our meeting with the Psychiatrists to talk this out. This all may be a moot point if BM refuses to allow her to move here. She has already expressed that she "doesn't think it's a good idea" when the psychiatrist from the first hospital suggested her staying with us... Unfortunately, we don't have the money for a big custody battle so I don't know if we would be able to fight for her. I'm very nervous to see how tonight goes. The psychiatrist has already talked to DH about possible resources to get her here as well so maybe that will be another route we can take.

I appreciate each and EVERY one of your responses. This is, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever been through in the 10 years I have been a step-mom and I'm scared right down to my toes for DSD as I love her with all of my heart. The young woman I know is, without a doubt, the most awesome teenager I have ever met. It scares me that I don't know this side of her... and it's hard but I know she's in there and I will do everything I can to get back to her.

#10 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 PM

You are in my thoughts and I hope today was productive and helpful for all the Parents :(  Hang in there!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#11 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM

When I was a teen, I begged my mother for months to take me to a therapist and she refused. I didn't fit in anywhere, I couldn't cope with the issues I had at home, and I felt really alone. I didn't have a caring step mother to turn to. So I overdosed. In the clinic, I met a bunch of other kids who had a lot of problems like mine, and suddenly I felt pretty good. I got a break from real life, from my problems.  In the beginning, I believe I was diagnosed with depression. By the the end of the year, I'd been diagnosed with depression, bipolar, borderline personality disorder, and psychosis. All of my new friends were depressed. Most of them were bipolar and/or borderline. A lot of them self mutilated (I was a cutter). The coolest kids were schizophrenic. We fed off of each other. Most of us at some point (or many points) exaggerated our symptoms and picked up new ones (like hearing voices), I guess really just to fit in with our new crowd. Crazy was suddenly cool. I ended up going back 9 times. It was my escape from my mother, and everything else that was going wrong in my life. It was somewhere I felt accepted. On the rare occasion I had somewhere else to escape to, though, I took it, but that just wasn't something I had typically. I didn't have any other family. All I really wanted was to be somewhere I felt safe, loved, respected, and of value. I wanted to be accepted for who I was (whoever that turned out to be). I wanted to matter to someone.

For the record, I wasn't dangerous, and I'm not clinically depressed, bipolar, OR borderline. I straightened out as soon as I felt more secure. It took a lot longer for that to happen than it should have, though. A lot of damage was done. Mostly from being jerked around from one medication I shouldn't have been on to another, being dragged to doctor after doctor when all I really needed was one therapist I felt comfortable with, and from being abandoned/shunned by people who should have been there for me. It would be very sad for this girl to spend the rest of her childhood (and possibly her adult life) in and out of crisis clinics because she's not getting what she needs from her loved ones. Nobody had my back. I hope for her sake, you've got hers.

#12 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post

When I was a teen, I begged my mother for months to take me to a therapist and she refused. I didn't fit in anywhere, I couldn't cope with the issues I had at home, and I felt really alone. I didn't have a caring step mother to turn to. So I overdosed. In the clinic, I met a bunch of other kids who had a lot of problems like mine, and suddenly I felt pretty good. I got a break from real life, from my problems.  In the beginning, I believe I was diagnosed with depression. By the the end of the year, I'd been diagnosed with depression, bipolar, borderline personality disorder, and psychosis. All of my new friends were depressed. Most of them were bipolar and/or borderline. A lot of them self mutilated (I was a cutter). The coolest kids were schizophrenic. We fed off of each other. Most of us at some point (or many points) exaggerated our symptoms and picked up new ones (like hearing voices), I guess really just to fit in with our new crowd. Crazy was suddenly cool. I ended up going back 9 times. It was my escape from my mother, and everything else that was going wrong in my life. It was somewhere I felt accepted. On the rare occasion I had somewhere else to escape to, though, I took it, but that just wasn't something I had typically. I didn't have any other family. All I really wanted was to be somewhere I felt safe, loved, respected, and of value. I wanted to be accepted for who I was (whoever that turned out to be). I wanted to matter to someone.

For the record, I wasn't dangerous, and I'm not clinically depressed, bipolar, OR borderline. I straightened out as soon as I felt more secure. It took a lot longer for that to happen than it should have, though. A lot of damage was done. Mostly from being jerked around from one medication I shouldn't have been on to another, being dragged to doctor after doctor when all I really needed was one therapist I felt comfortable with, and from being abandoned/shunned by people who should have been there for me. It would be very sad for this girl to spend the rest of her childhood (and possibly her adult life) in and out of crisis clinics because she's not getting what she needs from her loved ones. Nobody had my back. I hope for her sake, you've got hers.

Thank you so much for this post... it gives me more hope than you know. It sounds VERY much like DSD's story. She has more issues with her mother than I could even begin to describe and in my heart, I know that's the root of ALL of this. Her mother is literally driving her insane. I am trying to support her with everything I have while having little to no experience with these mental disorders, psych wards or medications. As of yesterday morning, they have doubled her dose of lithium. It makes me so nervous for her.

And just a little update on the meeting last night for anyone checking up... There was very little talk about DSD moving in with us. In fact, the social worker asked BM what she thought of DSD coming home with us for the weekend (it's BMs weekend) and she basically brushed over the request and said that she didn't want DSD to be avoiding an issue with her eyesroll.gif and that was pretty much all that was said. However, BM is supposed to go in for another session tonight with the social worker and DSD. The social worker told DSD that she was going to talk more to her about her coming home with us. I don't know if she's a.) trying to ease SM into the idea or b.) waiting for BM to say "no, absolutely not" because she wouldn't in front of us and then back her up on it because she said something about us needing to make the decision and stick to it. We never got an answer of BM on it. So then the social worker requested another session with BM for tomorrow... so I don't think it looks good. DSD asked as we were leaving if we talked about it and I told her what we DID talk about and her little face just fell. She was so disappointed and just looked broken. She's terrified of going home with BM. She MAY be getting released tomorrow... and she doesn't want to because she's worried she has to go home with mom. I'm sorry but if I knew my daughter was NOT cutting herself somewhere, felt safe there and didn't have the thoughts she does while there, I would send her back to that place so fast her head would spin... but because she has so much residual anger at DH for leaving her, she refuses to let that happen. It breaks my heart. greensad.gif

#13 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Just a little update.... DSD is coming home with US... TONIGHT! She will be spending her normal times with us (Tuesdays and Thursdays) plus EVERY weekend. As she gets acclimated and we see an improvement, she will be transitioning to full time! We have to adjust our schedules and stuff so we can get her to school (not our local district but we can't take her out of the school she JUST started due to stress, etc) We have another meeting with the social worker tonight before the release to help BM understand a little more of WHY DSD wants this because she's just not getting it. She thinks she's a wonderful mother eyesroll.gif DSD told her last night that she wanted to live with us then had a bit of a panic attack while trying to make her understand so the social worker sent her back to her room while she tried to talk to BM. She was told to call us and "talk it out"... she asked why and DH went into detail and basically told her that while DSD loves her, she doesn't LIKE who she is and just can't deal with the dynamics of her family. It was an interesting conversation that stayed surprisingly civil. So hopefully this is the first step in DSD's recovery. smile.gif

#14 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 AM

My 14 year old has all kinds of issues at the monment , she has been self harming for at least 18 months, she now says she hears voices in her head teling her to hit people, she has many support networks and the school are great and she is now under the care of our local hospital...child and metal health issues..but this is a uk thing . Its a hard road, 90% of the time she is happy at home, she babysits for my firends kids and they love her she is no danger to little kids just herself, you say she is happy with you but  be prepared for that to change once she lives with you full time. my daughters dad does not understand what i have to deal with the 10% of the time she loses it, in his mind she is happy at his 2 nights a week so why is she not happy with me the other 5 nights. I cant tell you how hard it has been been  sometimes, we have both been in tears her screaming at me and wishing me dead, then 10 mins later being sorry and hugging me...I know she has something wrong with her but her dad will not accept it. I have an older son and look after many teenagers what she is exibiting is not normal teenage behavior, all ican do is try and get her as much help as i can. Good luck with with your SD

#15 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateerob View Post

My 14 year old has all kinds of issues at the monment , she has been self harming for at least 18 months, she now says she hears voices in her head teling her to hit people, she has many support networks and the school are great and she is now under the care of our local hospital...child and metal health issues..but this is a uk thing . Its a hard road, 90% of the time she is happy at home, she babysits for my firends kids and they love her she is no danger to little kids just herself, you say she is happy with you but  be prepared for that to change once she lives with you full time. my daughters dad does not understand what i have to deal with the 10% of the time she loses it, in his mind she is happy at his 2 nights a week so why is she not happy with me the other 5 nights. I cant tell you how hard it has been been  sometimes, we have both been in tears her screaming at me and wishing me dead, then 10 mins later being sorry and hugging me...I know she has something wrong with her but her dad will not accept it. I have an older son and look after many teenagers what she is exibiting is not normal teenage behavior, all ican do is try and get her as much help as i can. Good luck with with your SD

Thank you, I appreciate the advice and I'm sorry you are going through the same troubles. I will say that DSD is actually already with us 50% of the time (if not more most times)... and even the psychiatrists and social workers have all suggested that a lot of her issues lie with her mother and that most of her stressers are at her house. She has been here for months at a time and never has any issues. She's just able to BE HERSELF while here. She is very mature for her age and just wants to be accepted and loved for who she is and can not get that at home. While I understand that in a lot of divorced households, the other parent doesn't understand what is like with a mentally ill child because they don't see them as much, that is not the case here and DSD would tell you the same. I realize that she DOES have depression and anxiety and there are times she exhibits both while here but the difference is in how we handle it vs. her mother. My husband has a lot of the same issues and has grown up with parents that do as well so is simply awesome in knowing how to handle it when it does happen. I'm not saying that we don't believe these things happen at her mother's house, we are well aware that they do... we are also aware of what the triggers are and the Doctors agree.

#16 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 AM

I'm glad to hear some positive updates from you!  I hope things continue to improve, and I hope that your DSD makes great strides. Being her age is very very hard, and it seems that she's got more on her plate than just typical teen growth.  Mama, I'm proud of you for being so strong for your DSD, and for your DH and children! Continue to make the tough choices, you will be in my thoughts. Hang in there.

#17 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 PM

That update sounds great.  I hope things go smoothly with this transition and that these changes brings the stability your DSD needs to get through this rough stage learn to manage mental health issues in a healthy way.  Keep us updated grouphug.gif

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#18 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

So, its been two weeks since you brought her home. How's it going?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#19 of 21 Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

All ears over here as well...

#20 of 21 Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

She is doing excellent! She has been here every weekend plus several days out of the week overnights and is staying all week this week for Spring Break. She has not cut herself once, she is smiling and laughing more and is currently outside with DH and siblings being silly. So far, so good.

The psychiatrist she is seeing now has talked more to BM and made her understand more of how DSD feels and explained that she could either let go a little bit right now and salvage a relationship with DD in the future or she could force her to stay with her full time for 2 more years and have NO relationship with her at all one she's 18. I think that finally got through.

Thanks for asking about us. smile.gif

#21 of 21 Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 PM

So glad to hear things are going well!

Married my best friend & love of my life 11/12 , proud bonus momma to dss (13). TTC our first together. We like and plan to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page