Have a VERY UNIQuE situation and need HELP PLEASE!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a step parent of a 5 month old baby that we have had custody of since he was a week old. The biological mother is not able to care of any of her three children.(The other 2 kids live with their dads). Well now here is the problem both biological parents gave guardianship to me!! She cant raise the baby and now my soon to be ex husband wants to terminate all his rights over to me. I have no idea where to start what papers I need to file or anything. I am willing to take this child as my own and have treated him as such since he was a week old.( I am 40 yrs old a mother to a 20 yr old who has 2 kids of her own, so I am a grandparent too) I know the difficulties of being a single parent I have raised my daughter on my own 20 yrs before and I am willing to do it again for this beautiful baby with some medical problems. Please any advise would be welcome for this UNIQUE situation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new baby. I have a 5 month old too and this age is so sweet. As far as advice on how to proceed, I think you might want to head over to the adoptition/foster forum since you are most likely a legal stranger to your baby. Good luck on your new journey.
#3 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am his step mom too cause I am still married to his dad that is why I am so confused and thank you I will try there too

#4 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I would think only an attorney could give you useful advice for this situation. Good luck -- what an emotional time this must be! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm a custodial step-mom, too (totally different circumstances, of course).  I don't think we have one shred of parental rights after a divorce, unless some extra efforts are made, before-hand.  It sounds like the most straightforward thing to do is to handle this as a private adoption, where both parents sign over their rights to you.  But, as a previous poster suggested, definitely consult an attorney!

Just a thought:  Are you sure you want to do this all on your own?  Both biological parents may waive visitation and involvement in the child's life, and leave you as the de facto guardian, if they so choose and you are willing.  Even so, neither of them is legally entitled to walk away from their financial responsibilities for him (unless you choose to adopt him and they agree).  Will his medical needs be expensive, over the course of his life?  Does either bio parent have access to employer-provided health coverage?  Do you?  

If you were to conclude that having their financial help would benefit him, that would not in any way detract from your selflessness in loving and raising him, and his understanding that you - the person who has been there, to meet his needs, since infancy - are his mother.

swede likes this.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page