How do you refer to your step-kids? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How do you refer to your step-kids, when mentioning them to other people?
I ALWAYS call him/her my step-son/daughter. 3 11.11%
I ALWAYS call him/her my son/daughter, without the step. 6 22.22%
I often call him/her "my kid", or "my 10-year-old", but when I use the term "son"/"daughter", I always include the "step". 5 18.52%
I have side-stepped the issue, by always using "kid" or making up my own term. 5 18.52%
For convenience, I use "son"/"daughter" with people who don't know us (like store clerks); but with people who do know us, I clarify the "step". 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please respond to the poll, then explain what your circumstances are and why you answered the way you did.

I was surprised the other night, when I referred to my DSS as "my step-son" and my Mom exclaimed (to me, privately) that she can't believe I still call him my "step-son" (after he's lived primarily with us for the last 4 years).  She assumes it must hurt DSS's feelings and make him feel like he's not really my son.

Well...he's not.  He's really a full part of our family!  I really love him.  But I feel if I told everyone he was my son, both he and his mother would feel I was trying to take her place; and it would increase confusion among his teachers, school friends and their parents, who, with rare exception, have only ever met me and tend to forget that he has another, actual mother, out in California.

I do refer to all our kids as "brothers", never "step" or "half" (even though they are).  But calling your step-brother "brother" doesn't interfere in any way, with calling your full brother the same thing, and it doesn't really confuse anyone.  I feel like it's not the same, with "mother" and "father".  People tend to assume you only have one.

Or, am I wrong?  Tell me what you think.  

I chose the last option, in the poll.  Then I realized I should've allowed multiple answers, because the 3rd option is true for me, too!  But I don't know that you can edit a poll, once you post it.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#2 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 AM

I answered for my DH, he calls them his son/daughter and only explains the details if there's a reason to do so. I've been more inclined to explain, but I'm stopping because DD gets mad when I do. Our circumstances are different from yours, though... the kids don't have a relationship with their birth father. The kids decided to switch to using DH's last name when we got married and DD gets upset when I have to use her legal name now, too.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 AM

I have strange circumstances; when I married my ex, he had a six year-old and a two year-old who had no contact at all with their bio-mom, so I became mama. I never considered them my step children; I was raising them, there was no other parent to be offended, they were always referred to as my son and my daughter. I actually shocked a few of their teachers when something came up and for whatever reason, I had to clarify the relationship. Seven years in, dh became xh, the older children went to live with him, and for various reasons, I had to start referring to them as "step". It was very hard for me to do, because it felt like I was betraying the relationship when in reality, I was fighting tooth and nail to hang on to it. 

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#4 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 PM

I use "daughter" almost exclusively, but clarify if I need to. Even when we lived in the same city, our circle of friends rarely knew mom and and we rarely interacted with mom's circle of friends, so there was no one really to confuse. Now we live far apart, so it's not really ever an issue, but I clarify if I need to... but it is rare that I do. Honestly, I don't feel the need to clear up confusion for very many people. Close friends and family all know the intricacies of our family, so I don't feel I need to clarify for them. People who don't know she's not my child by birth don't often need to know. 

My step-daughter prefers to just be referred to as "my daughter" and DEFINITELY doesn't want to be singled out when all the kids are around ("This is my oldest son, my youngest son, my daughter, and my step-daughter" would make her feel horrible). She refers to her parents the same way-- "my mom" and "my dad" for bio- and step-parents alike, using "step" only if there is a reason she needs to clarify. I was (and still am) the same way with my blended family. I think the only person I am obligated to worry about is my step-daughter, so I follow her lead.

Of course, on this board I always specify because clarity around all the relationships matter in these discussions.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#5 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 PM

I voted #4 but really it is a combination. I generally use 'my kids'. Or I just call them by name. People who know us know the situation and there is no need to clarify, and if there is a need I will use 'step' .

#6 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

I answered for my DH, he calls them his son/daughter and only explains the details if there's a reason to do so. I've been more inclined to explain, but I'm stopping because DD gets mad when I do. Our circumstances are different from yours, though... the kids don't have a relationship with their birth father. The kids decided to switch to using DH's last name when we got married and DD gets upset when I have to use her legal name now, too.

This....only, my kids opted to have their names legally changed to his when we married, so the only upset is when someone refers to their bio-dad as Dad, instead of dh. They call their bio-dad by his first name always. They call xh Dad when talking about him and sometimes when speaking directly to him. About 90% of the time, they call him by his first name when speaking directly to him. Once or twice, he referred to them as step-kids when we were figuring out names...and they were devistated. It felt like NO-ONE wanted to be their dad. If your kids have a bio-mom that cares for them, I doubt it would be a big deal. You might want to just ask them, though.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#7 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM

i clarify DSD on here and other forums just bc i like people to know the specifics. but out and about i always call her dd. we have custody and her bio mom hardly sees her. she calls me mom. we only clarify the relationship for people who need to know and even then it is just a clarification of biological relationship not our emotional relationship. i have been with her dad since right before she was born. they had broke up right before they found out she was pregnant and there was no fixing it. we got custody when she was 3 bc her mom was drinking and some other mental health issues. her mom also lost her sisters who all went to live with their own fathers. when i talk about her sister (here and all over) they are sisters. she knows about half and step and stuff but it is easier to just say sister bc what is the point differentiating. it was different when she lived with her mom. she would still call me mom but she wanted me to call her step daughter. i am not sure if that was her or her mom though.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#8 of 30 Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM

My DSS will officially be that in less than a week, but DF & I have been following his lead on what I should refer to him as.  We asked him flat out when we told him we were getting married if he wanted me to call him my stepson or if he preferred to just be called my kid.  (he had been playing Tarzan or something & saying "me stepson" "you *his nickname for me*").  He thought for a moment, then decided he didn't want me to call him my stepson because he felt like it sounded like he & I were less family.  He decided he just wants me to call him my kid, no step involved.  I still refer to him as my stepson when clarification is needed, though.

Married my best friend & love of my life 11/12 , proud bonus momma to dss (13). TTC our first together. We like and plan to
#9 of 30 Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

This....only, my kids opted to have their names legally changed to his when we married, so the only upset is when someone refers to their bio-dad as Dad, instead of dh. They call their bio-dad by his first name always. They call xh Dad when talking about him and sometimes when speaking directly to him. About 90% of the time, they call him by his first name when speaking directly to him. Once or twice, he referred to them as step-kids when we were figuring out names...and they were devistated. It felt like NO-ONE wanted to be their dad. If your kids have a bio-mom that cares for them, I doubt it would be a big deal. You might want to just ask them, though.

We're about to go back to court to get a bunch of odds & ends dealt with, one of them being the legal name change (XH refused to sign forms, there's a way to do it without his consent but we're waiting because the updated order will probably make it more straightforward) I think my kids feel much the same as yours... when we got married, DD said "Now you're really, really my real Daddy!!" They both did the 'my dad' thing when talking to other people, but I was surprised when about a week after we were married, DS came up and told me he really wanted to call DH dad, but if felt sort of funny and sometimes he forgets. I asked if he wanted help remembering and then just made it his job to "Call Dad for supper." for a few weeks... that's all it took to make it stick.

I agree that just asking is a good idea, just keep the topic comfortable. Though, if you don't see any indication that he's uncomfortable he's probably okay... we knew we had to talk about it when the kids friends started asking "Who's that?" or "Is that your dad?" and they didn't know how to explain it, so for us it's been an open topic from close to the beginning.

#10 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:

We're about to go back to court to get a bunch of odds & ends dealt with, one of them being the legal name change (XH refused to sign forms, there's a way to do it without his consent but we're waiting because the updated order will probably make it more straightforward) I think my kids feel much the same as yours... when we got married, DD said "Now you're really, really my real Daddy!!" They both did the 'my dad' thing when talking to other people, but I was surprised when about a week after we were married, DS came up and told me he really wanted to call DH dad, but if felt sort of funny and sometimes he forgets. I asked if he wanted help remembering and then just made it his job to "Call Dad for supper." for a few weeks... that's all it took to make it stick.

We didn't have consent either, but mine is a funny story. =D XH had been dead for almost 2 years when we applied for the kids' name changes. The death certificate wasn't enough. The laws treated it like I just didn't know where he was. I still had to prove I had attempted to contact him, give him like 2 months to respond...then sit in court all day, just in case he showed up on the court date to contest! lol

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#11 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

We didn't have consent either, but mine is a funny story. =D XH had been dead for almost 2 years when we applied for the kids' name changes. The death certificate wasn't enough. The laws treated it like I just didn't know where he was. I still had to prove I had attempted to contact him, give him like 2 months to respond...then sit in court all day, just in case he showed up on the court date to contest! lol

Isn't bureaucracy fabulous?  Thanks for my giggle for the day, picturing you "trying to contact" an "waiting" for someone who clearly wasn't going to show up. These systems seem to be the exclusive domain of people incapable of thinking outside a pre-drawn box. Wow.

VocalMinority likes this.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#12 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM

I call my DSS my son all the time. At the moment, he is three and hasn't seen his mother in over a year and before that her contact was sporadic at best. She doesn't make contact or try to be involved in his life in anyway. I'm the only person he calls Mom and he started that on his own at 9 months. I've never corrected him and don't see the need to. One day he will by my child in the eye's of the law until then, he already is. winky.gif I only make a point to say that he is my step son when I have to. If I ever do have to make that distinction one day to where he understands, I can almost bet that it would make him upset. I am the only mother he has ever known or has memory of.... I wouldn't want to hurt him by making him feel like he wasn't a major component of our family unit.

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#13 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM

My friends mostly know me as having a young daughter, so it's confusing to suddenly talk about older kids. So I usually use "step" when talking about them. I think if we lived closer and they were with me more it might not be that way. When they are here, however, I never say step. The kids hate it and think of themselves as son and daughter so that's what I say. If my friends are confused when meeting them, oh well, as the kids' feelings come first there.

#14 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:

That's just... wow! 

#15 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 AM

Well, I go back and forth...I will say I have two daughters (one bio, one step).  When she was younger, DSD would correct people who called me her mom--"She's my stepmother."  That was when she was 3 or 4.  Since then I think she has a clearer understanding of what a family is, and she doesn't mind when I call her my daughter.  People who know us, of course, know she's my husband's daughter.  Usually, I just call them "my girls."  They both seem to like that, and it covers all bases.

PoetryLover likes this.
#16 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

I have to admit, seeing so many people choose, "I always call him/her my son/daughter, without the step" is enlightening!  I expected that to be a minority choice, not a tie with the answer I chose.

However, from the comments it seems like "son/daughter" is more common for those of you whose biological counterpart is not in the picture.  Incorrigible referred to her kids being devastated when her DH used "step", feeling that "NO ONE wanted to be their Dad".  Well, that's easy to understand, if there is no other Dad!

Aricha's comment (as usual!) really has me thinking.  You have a long-distance situation like I do and feel like there's no reason to clarify the "step" since no one in your community knows your DSD's mom.  I realized that a significant part of my instinct to use "step" is, perhaps, place-holding for DSS's mom.  Very few people in our community know her, either, even though she does come here to visit a couple times a year.  But she makes no effort to meet DSS's teachers, friends, their parents, etc.  It's common knowledge that she looks at his whole life here as a temporary situation, until he turns 14, testifies that he wants to "go home" to her, moves back to California and never returns.  I guess I keep thinking that, as time goes on (or, if DH winds up keeping custody while DSS is in high school), that DSS's mom might start behaving in ways I consider healthier, like getting involved with his education and friendships or even moving back here.  It's hard for me to imagine a mother never breaking down and doing those things.  Regardless of all the issues of pride and awkwardness, that's her only child!  

So, in a way, I guess I'm looking at this as a temporary situation, too:  I don't assume DSS living with us is temporary, but I hold out the possibility that me doing the vast majority of the "mothering" jobs may be temporary.  Maybe I remain aware of that out of respect for DSS's relationship with his Mom.  Maybe it has more to do with me not letting myself get 100% attached to my current role, such that if it changes, I won't grieve quite the same way as if I were "demoted" in my role with my biological children.  And, just as I've put that into words, I realize how silly it is.  If my current role with DSS changes (after 4 years getting used to it), nothing could shield me from grieving over it!

Anyway, DSS and I discussed this.  I told him my instinct has been to use the "step", not because I love him less or feel like he's in any way a lesser part of the family, but simply because I know he has a mother and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to replace her.  But I explained that plenty of other people look at it differently and don't use "step", so if he'd like me to do it differently I'd be happy to.  He didn't address the idea of whether or not he (or his mother) would worry about me sounding like I'm replacing her.  But he very quickly piped up that I am his step-Mom; that's what he calls me; and he doesn't think there's anything wrong with it, or feel bad about it.  So, we're good!

I have to be honest, as I've thought about it, despite my positive relationship with my older sons' step-Mom, I wouldn't want her calling herself their mother.  I know she includes them in phrases like "our sons" (referring to her DH's sons and their sons together, without distinguishing who's whose).  Of course, I do that with DSS, too.  But for her to run into a friend while shopping with my sons and introduce them as "my sons"?  Or for her to meet their teachers and introduce herself as "their Mom"?  That would rub me the wrong way.  And, to be clear, I understand the value of my kids' relationship with her to the extent that I offer her parenting time, if my ex has extended work conflicts and can't see them for awhile.  But I still don't see her as a completely equal parent.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#17 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As you sat there in court, were you tempted to have a friend dress up as a zombie and show up as a gag, pretending to be your ex?

(Obviously, I have 2 teenage sons who were really into zombie movies, this Halloween!)

#18 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post

Quote:

As you sat there in court, were you tempted to have a friend dress up as a zombie and show up as a gag, pretending to be your ex?

(Obviously, I have 2 teenage sons who were really into zombie movies, this Halloween!)

Ha ha! Or a Ghostbuster... just in case.

It sounds like the way your doing things is just right for your circumstances. Ours is very different... I often have a hard time relating to some of the parents here, when I read statements like "You can never replace the child's biological parent." DH hasn't only replaced XH, he blew him completely out of the water... if he ever tries to re-enter their lives, the kids will be comparing him to their (step) dad, not the other way around. And there is no way he'll ever measure up, that I'm certain of. DS has already expressed that, actually... DH let him put the trailer on the car by himself, and as he instructed DS to take it slow, DS rammed the back bumper and dented it. DH was just like "Oh well, I guess that's why they call them 'bumpers'. Next time try it a little slower." and let DS finish the job. A week or so after that, DS and I were walking to an appointment and he saw a car exactly like ours, except with no dent in the bumper. When he said that, I reminded him accidents happen, no one is mad at him & the car already had a few dents anyway. There was a loooong pause and he  said "If that happened with my birth dad, it would have been bad." I acknowledged that it might have. )XH probably wouldn't have had him out there trying in the first place, but if he did that would have caused a screaming, insult-riddled freak-out.) DS replied that he's really happy that we have his Dad now. I think things are almost simpler for the kids when one parent disappears completely.... it's not necessarily easier, but a lot more clear.

#19 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM

i have trouble with this issue!

DP and i are not married but i do a lot with his daughter and am always at a bit of a loss as to how to refer to her when talking to other people. if i have to, i will call her my step-daughter. "my boyfriend's kid" doesn't quite measure up to our relationship i don't think.

i would never call myself her mother because her mom is  very much in her life and important to her. DSD has a mom and she doesn't need another one.

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!
#20 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ha ha! Or a Ghostbuster... just in case.  ROTFLMAO.gif

...I think things are almost simpler for the kids when one parent disappears completely.... it's not necessarily easier, but a lot more clear.

I think this depends 100% on the child's relationship with the NCP.  In your kids' case, perhaps it's true.

When my DSS's mom had custody, she clearly thought along these lines.  But her sense that DSS would benefit from the clarity of having only one parent truly disregarded DSS's attachment to his dad, and the quality of their relationship (which was very good).  She was superimposing on DSS her own feelings about her ex, and her need to believe everyone recognized her as the "better parent".

Now that my DH has custody, I really have to guard against looking at things the same way!  There are so many aspects of DSS's mom's parenting that I disagree with, ranging from arguably trivial matters of taste (teaching him to value image and superficial, material things over substance); to deeply significant things (increasing the pressure on DSS to choose between his parents, instead of letting the pain of losing custody open her eyes to the hardship for her child of being torn between his parents, and separated from either one).  Sometimes I feel it'd be healthier for him - and FAR less confusing - not to have his mom's messages juxtaposed on DH's and mine.  Yet, there is no denying she is his mother and he is attached to her.  He loves her, no matter whether or how much he recognizes the damaged or self-centered parts of her.  All things considered, I assume losing her altogether would be even worse for him than the confusion of two vastly different parental approaches, and the separation.

#21 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM

You're right, it is better for the kids to have both parents if possible. I can appreciate how hard it must be to have to try and cooperate with someone so misguided.

In our case, when XH took me to court (after not bothering to show up the first time around, and realizing you have to pay child support even if you don't wanna) the Judge asked him to commit to a regular schedule when he could see the kids... he wasn't going to get whatever he asked for, but what was his availability? His answer was that he couldn't answer that. XH's plan was to let me know when he'd be in town and 'meet the kids for coffee'! The reason I left him was that he assaulted our son (he served an 18 month suspended sentence) I was asking for professionally supervised visitation, once or twice a month for about 12 visits, and then to reassess what sort of visitation would be appropriate for them. The judge told him to reapply when he can assure the court he was able to commit to visitation with some sort of predictability, and ordered that a report be done. The report would tell the judge what sort of therapy or anger management XH had taken during his sentence, and what kind of visitation would be appropriate. He has email & phone access now, which he doesn't use... he's sent both kids one email, and responded to one of DD's emails in which there wasn't even a "Hi!" to DS. I could say okay to his drop-in 'plan', but I'd be bypassing the court to do it... and if he ever hurt one of the kids again, I'm pretty sure DCF would blame me as well. Right after the assault I was told that if I went back to him (ha!) the kids would be taken from me, and if the court gives him access please call and let them know about it.

#22 of 30 Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM

You know, I never thought of having anyone show up to court in costume...but I did seriously consider having a seance and including some kind of proof with my docs. lol I didn't because after everything xh did to us, it doesn't really feel completely impossible for him to haunt us too. ;)

Jeannine - It sounds like your instincts were spot on. I'm glad he felt the same way about it. =)

Mummoth - My story is similar to yours. When he first left, ds was 4 and his prayers that night were thanking God for making xh leave, and to please find him a "good" daddy. That was part of his prayers every night for years. It wasn't until after we'd all completely given up hope that I ended up w Beast. What unnerves me is that the kids don't look much like xh, but they look SO much like Beast. We had a neighbor go on and on the other day about how she's never seen kids that look SO much like their parents - and the Crash and Spritely are just the exact perfect combination of Beast and I. We didn't say anything, but we all had a good laugh when we got home. The kids told me that's "proof" this is the dad they were supposed to have all along. (I feel all manic, like equal parts sadness and joy when they say things like that)

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#23 of 30 Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Awww, well I'm glad your DS's prayers were answered! DS took the masking tape & taped up the gate in the yard so XH couldn't come back... that broke my heart. We've had the same thing with people thinking DD looks like DH... they have the same hair colour/skin tone/etc. DS looks a lot like me. I know what you mean about feeling manic. I'm glad they have a great dad now... but little kids weren't meant to appreciate their parents. The comments about how good their dad is --that they don't take him for granted--  underscores the fact that they've had to face some very sad realities in their lives.

#24 of 30 Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra2007 View Post

DSD would correct people who called me her mom--"She's my stepmother."

People mistake me as mom a lot (DSD looks about as much like me as her mom to be honest). She almost always responds this way and has since she's been old enough to talk. I haven't given her any guidance to change, but she is slowly starting to let it slide more. I assume it's because she's getting old enough to know in what situations it's not worth explaining.

When we're with people who know me, it usually means they know DH, and so I refer to DSD as DH's daughter. When we're with people who don't know me, like at the grocery store, if someone assumes I'm mom, I just smile and accept the compliments of how beautiful/smart DSD is. We only see DSD every-other-weekend for most of the year, so I could see it being a little different if we had closer to 50% custody or more. At the same time I think I would have the same tendency to reserve a spot for mom, if we had primary/full custody.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#25 of 30 Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 AM

I replied "For convenience, I use "son"/"daughter" with people who don't know us (like store clerks); but with people who do know us, I clarify the "step". She is not not "daughter" or I say step when around people I know and I use the word daughter around people I don't because I do not feel the need to explain myself

#26 of 30 Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM

#27 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Dsd will point out in her step mom if I call her my daughter in public (not that she doesn't like me or anything but it is the correct term) so I chose the last option but # 3 also applys :)But yes I also always refer to siblings as brothers or sisters never as step or half.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#28 of 30 Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM

I am both a stepdaughter and a stepmom. I don't see anything wrong with the word step, so I say stepdaughter when referring to DH's daughter. Thats what she is to me and it does not feel like an insult to her. She has a great mom and I want to respect that. I believe in respecting her family history and the truth is she has 1 mom, 1 dad, and 1 stepmom. Me marrying her dad did not make me a mother to her. SD lives with her mom except for every other weekend so that also factors into why i say stepdaughter as I am only with her weekends. Another reason of why I use stepdaughter probably has to due with my own stepmother. She treated me like a piece of dirt (badmouthing my mother, sending nasty emails to me, excluding me from family) during my teen years, yet now wants to claim me as her daughter. She has actually screamed at me that I am her daughter and that i better get used to it. She can't force me to think of her as a parent or a mother and I never will no matter how many years she's married to my dad. The past is the past and we can move on and be friendly but I will always consider her to be my dad's wife. She gets so angry about the word step, tells me its a dirty word, ect. I have a mother that raised me almost entirely on her own with little help from my dad and my stepmother was so horrible to me during my teen years so I find it very insulting of her to claim me as her daughter. If I were her "daughter" she would've never treated me the way she did. However in my own family now, if my stepdaughter ever expressed that she didn't like being called stepdaughter and wanted to be called daughter I would do as she wished. Its all about the kids comfort level not the adults. If they want to be referred as daughter/son thats great. But if they prefer to make the relationship known as stepdaughter/stepson which is what it is I believe in respecting their wishes. I wish my stepmother respected my wishes of referring to me as her stepdaughter, but she never will. She's very pushy about pushing this happy blended family, when the truth is she and I have almost no relationship at all. I seriously believe that if it weren't for my dad we wouldn't communicate at all. He's the only thing we have in common. Maybe thats a reason why she pushes "my daughter" cause she's trying to pretend to people that we are closer than we really are.

#29 of 30 Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 AM

Well after reading several of the posts here I feel awful LOL I ever really call my DSS "stepson" much less "son" for that matter. Usually when we are out and about and with people that we know I just say he is "my husband's son", and also to him I'm "Dh's name wife" he doesn't even call DH dad, DSS came into the picture not even 2 years ago, I don's even think he consider me something of his, I do like DSS he's a great kid but I'm still getting used to this, it's been difficult to adjust.

#30 of 30 Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM

When DH and I got married, my DSD and DSS asked if they could call me mom :)... however, their BM quickly put a stop to that, and she continues to make the children feel guilty for liking me. My DD's bio-father died when was 5, so she calls my DH dad.  We also have a 4 mo old son together... and not only has their BM told them I AM NOT and NEVER WILL BE their mother of any kind, she has told them that our son is not their brother.

To ease conflict and in attempt to keep the Skids from feeling even more like crap, I told them to call me whatever they want to, which is usually just my name.  Sometimes SS slips and calls me Mom, but he is quickly corrected by his sister.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page