Kids with NonCustodial Military Parents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background:  I married my high school sweetheart who had a child back in high school with another woman.  Difficult situation, so I left and joined the military.  He soon followed me after a year and we decided to get married.  His daughter still lives back in our hometown, and I am miliary so we are constantly on the move with our children. 

Now:  Everytime we move, she does the crosscountry traveling with us.  She only gets to visit during the summers and sometime during Christmas as well.  That is all we can afford.   I don't want her to feel left out, but I am being told from her mother that she deserves more than my children b/c they have their dad.  But what is not understood, is they do not have their mother all the time.  They also don't have family.  It's just us.

Question:  How do I help my stepdaughter feel like she belongs if that is really the issue.  I'm not quite sure. What should I do more of? Less of?

What is being done now.

We mail letters.  Talk/Text daily regardless if she doesnt' respond back.  Mail pictures.  Mail packages. She has her own room always decorated in whatever she tells us to do. 

Tags
Blended Family Advice
User Tag List