Report Card Rewards? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My SD's teacher mails my husband the SD's report card.  He wants to get her something to reward her...  He said high tops, they are over $60.  Her report card has some C's on it.  Now this is an improvement since last year.  My DD gets a trip to get icecream for good grades or something silly.  I suggested the new JB book, b/c it's cool but yet it encourages reading.  What do you guys do?

Quote:

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life."

Richard Bach

#2 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM

i'm not a big fan of any rewards for report card grades. i think it takes the joy out of school and learning and most importantly, ACCOMPLISHMENT. the grades themselves should be reward enough. 

i like your idea of ice cream celebration for end of reporting quarter. let it be tied to the report card coming out at all, and not to whatever grades were achieved.

maybe your husband really just wants to get her the shoes? if so, he should go ahead and get them, but not tied to the report card grades at all. 

my opinion. ...

#3 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

He may want to get her the shoes.  He does talk to her.  I know her mom is a SAHM of 5 kids, and her SD doesn't work.  Maybe he feels bad for her knowing that our DDs have more than enough stuff.  I'll ask him what he wants to do.  Maybe he was just waiting for an excuse or something.  I'll ask him if that is what he wants to do and just tell her something like he saw them in the store and decided she would just look too cute in them or something.  Thanks for the response.  I'll ask him if she mentioned it to him before....  Thanks.

Quote:

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life."

Richard Bach

#4 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM

I used to take my kids out for dinner at report card time. Good or bad. As long as they made an effort. I'm not into kids being rewarded for doing well in school.

#5 of 5 Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with rewarding for grades, but I understand him wanting to encourage her to keep her grades up somehow.  We live 1000s a miles apart and only see her in the summers.  We did order the new JB book and preordered a book that she wanted that comes out in November.  This way she is still reading, but reading things she is interested in.  Thanks for the comments.

Quote:

Richard Bach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page