My husband hates my daughter - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

You'll have to look into custody because, of course, you don't want to leave your babies with him alone, especially if the youngest is still nursing. If you can work out an arrangement where you can keep the children full time, leave this abusive man.

For now, while you're working it out, don't feel bad about taking your daughter's side in an argument! She is your little girl and she needs you to stand up for her; that is what mammas are for. If you hear more yelling, you say, "This ends now. No one talks to my daughter like this, ever again." It doesn't matter if she's been yelling too. She is the child, and he is the adult, and he should be able to control himself and act rationally.

#32 of 35 Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say leave too. The situation sounds too toxic to fix...years of this going on! Best to you and your babies!
#33 of 35 Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 AM

Ratbag is another way of saying trouble maker.

#34 of 35 Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 AM

In north America if you called your kid a ratbag you would basically be calling them the dirt of the earth hence why people are probably getting a bit defensive about it.  I hope you have figured out a solution to the problems between you and your daughter and husband. blending a family can be extremely difficult. It takes a lot of hard work sometimes. And in your situation specifically I would try counselling of you, him and your daughter together and you and him separately before making a final decision to walk away.

#35 of 35 Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

She posted that he is living in the shed and drinking. he also does not have a job. They cannot visit him without space for them to do so much less share custody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimordialMind View Post

Good point. Unless he rents a home that is big enough for all the kids i highly doubt he'll get visitation rights. Even if he somehow manages to do that, he will need to get treatment for his alcoholism in order to keep a job. In that case, he'll be in a much better place which makes taking care of kids a lot easier. Theres also a good possibility he wont want to take care of the kids since he already does so little. I dont think that should be a deterrent, the OP should follow her heart and do what she feels is best.

I realize these were posted 8 months ago, but since this discussion still shows up among recent posts and other troubled moms thinking about leaving may be reading it, I'll comment.

I don't necessarily condone staying in a verbally/emotionally abusive relationship with a man who's contributing nothing positive, even financially - if that is indeed the OP's situation and not just an exaggerated vent, on a day she was feeling especially negative and hopeless (she had given birth, just 3 months before posting).  But Escaping's point is still well-taken:  before leaving her husband, a mother should consider what her children's circumstances will be, during visitation with their father, without her around.

One can not assume that simply because something's true - or because a reasonable person thinks something would be best for a child - that visitation orders will be crafted around it!  Parents have a right to access to their children and it's intentionally difficult to limit or deny that right.  

* Irresponsible, abusive or alcoholic parents rarely see themselves that way, much less acknowledge to a judge that's how they are.  

* There are hair and nail tests to show patterns of alcohol usage - but they're not 100% reliable and are still easy for an attorney to have thrown out of court.

* Kids may know what's going on, but it's rotten to make them testify against a parent; and pushing for that can make you look like an alienator.  

* A parent who feels he's being accused or criticized in court is likely to hurl accusations and criticisms at the other parent - valid or not - making it hard for the judge to know the truth.

* Witnesses who could help a judge sort out the truth may seem to be in one parent's camp, or have an axe to grind, so the judge may not put much stock in their testimony.  

* The most neutral and credible witnesses may be reluctant to testify, because they don't want to be caught in the middle.  And written statements (from people you can't get on the stand) are just useless hearsay.  

* A judge can solicit a custody evaluator's recommendation, but isn't required to follow it.  

My step-son's mother got sole custody, while living in a studio apartment with only one bed (he was 8), against the strongly-worded advice of a prominent, court-ordered custody evaluator.  Later, my step-son came to live with us, but his mom still has always had visitation, despite continuing to provide inadequate space; having her boyfriend spend the night (pretty inappropriate, when my step-son was still sleeping in her bed...); leaving her kid at home alone while she worked; smoking indoors despite her kid having asthma; and reportedly abusing prescription drugs and alcohol, passing out every night and again leaving her kid unsupervised.  Her boyfriend's statements of concern for my step-son's safety were irrelevant.  He broke up with the mother, over this stuff, making him an ex-boyfriend who might have an axe to grind.

Messy break-ups can easily fail to get resolved in the way the "better parent" thinks they should.  It's safest to operate under the assumption that your ex will have visitation, unless/until you actually effect something different.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our

Tags
Parenting , Step Family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page