Vent: x in jail - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, ex didn't pay his child support. Well, it took some time but they locked him up for 15 days unless he can pay 500 bucks. G*D knows he can't. I don't feel anything about this ( ) No, more like as if I should be happy but it's not as if this is a satisfying kind of thing. I feel like running up to the jail and asking him if i should expect him to be different after his stint.... i bet he's doing this right now:
he's gonna be.... when he gets out. well, reap:sow
the reason he stopped paying is because of my new boyfriend. it's been a year.

vent vent vent.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#2 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 12:14 PM

who do people think they are hurting by not paying support? I'll never understand this.

Dh ex stopped paying 'cause she "didnt feel like it" and "felt like screwing you over". Nice huh? So, when her license is taken away, guess who's shes mad at? Yep. Us. All our fault. :

I hope your ex has learned from this, good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 09-03-2005, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

his bro called me today and mentioned that he was to start a new job on monday, but couldn't because he got picked up on Saturday.... oops, bad timing. Well, atleast hopefully I will get support now.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#4 of 6 Old 09-05-2005, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I don't get is the point of throwing them in jail. You can't earn any money in jail. Put them on probation, garnish wages, but putting a deadbeat dad in jail doesn't get any money out of him.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#5 of 6 Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin
What I don't get is the point of throwing them in jail. You can't earn any money in jail. Put them on probation, garnish wages, but putting a deadbeat dad in jail doesn't get any money out of him.
I used to work for a payroll company and sometimes the parents (not all men, btw- there ARE women who don't have custody who have wages garnished) would quit their job as soon as the child support order 'caught up' with them. If they don't do the proper stuff on their end and the state has to chase them, they can get several months of no support. So, in cases like these, you're right- jail won't get money out of them, but they weren't paying anyway, so often times a few weeks in jail makes them realize they should work and pay instead of not pay and sit in jail.

Also, my uncle was thrown in jail once for not paying child support. He had lost his job and was unable to find another. (This was years ago in IL) He did a couple weeks in jail, then was let out during the day for work but had to go back to jail at night.

To the OP- do you really think your ex had a job lined up or was your BIL just trying to guilt you? Either way- it's not your fault.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#6 of 6 Old 09-10-2005, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I know for sure that he had the job lined up because it was actually his previous job calling him back from a lay-off. BIL told me that he in fact still has the job when he gets out. So good news, they already knows that he will have wages to be garnished and it looks like I will get support. Which is great for RayeAnne, more money in her college fund! And this also means (hopefully) he can starts getting back onto his feet. Which can be good or bad for us.. it's always complicated kwim?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page