Need to talk to ex in-laws, what to say (long) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ex lives in Maryland, I live in Kansas, by all of our family, mine and his.

His parents (and teenage brother and sister) have been very helpful to me since the divorce and living as a single mom. When we lived only a few blocks from them they watched the kids once a week so I could study or take tests, they have helped me move, ect. His dad regularly sends me quick e-mails, just to keep in touch now that we live 2 hours away. Have been very supportive of my new husband, ect. I really want them to be a part of my children's lives.

My ex rarely makes an appearance. It has been two years and he makes it once a year to see the kids, never calls or writes letters, has very little contact. He also never calls or goes to see his family, even the couple of times he has come to see the boys.

He has said he is coming to visit around the holidays this year, but will not see his parents. I would rather the boys went to their grandparents, then to stay at a hotel on Christmas (sounds rather dissapointing). On the other hand, I already have to decide on if/when we go to my moms and my dads (they are divorced) and my husbands mom's and dad's (they are divorced too). Fitting my ex and his parents is probably not going to work.

So, to get to my question. I need to call my in-laws to talk about christmas.
How early should I call? Should I just tell them that if ex comes then it is his responsibility to get the kids there and I am sorry but they probably won't make it? Should I try to squeeze them in anyway, maybe let the kids stay there the weekend before or after? If I make plans with his parents, can I just tell ex that the kids will be there at this time and expect him to do that if he is here?

AGGGHHHHH! This is so hard.
#2 of 4 Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM

I'd be tempted to take my kids and go have a holiday on our own on the other side of the continent! :LOL

What an extended family, and what a sense of obligation you've ended up with to 'share' the kids around to all - that sounds tough.

I guess if your ex only sees his kids once a year, this is 'it' for the year for them, so if I were you (and barring any big issues, like abuse or whatever, that you didn't mention) I'd probably try to facilitate that, within reason. He didn't give you dates yet, though? I think I'd just keep in mind that he'll be 'around' when making plans. Decide who you want to see and when, leave a few gaps here and there, and then when he gives you dates, you can say "Oh, well on the 23rd we'll be at my mom's (or wherever) in the evening, but the boys can see you in the morning if you like," or "We'll be at your folks on Christmas Day, so you can come by there, or if you don't want to do that, the 27th works for us." If you want to spend time/have the kids spend time with your ex-in laws, I definitely wouldn't scrap that just because he's coming.
#3 of 4 Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2
"We'll be at your folks on Christmas Day, so you can come by there, or if you don't want to do that, the 27th works for us." If you want to spend time/have the kids spend time with your ex-in laws, I definitely wouldn't scrap that just because he's coming.
:

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#4 of 4 Old 09-29-2005, 04:08 AM

That is really an extended family. And some hard decision to make.
I think mammastar2 has a point.
Good luck...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page